Menu

Coffee grinder

Beaniemom

The electric ones that can do a good job are quite pricey. A hand grinder that uses ceramic conical burrs to grind (like the one Arctic Mama listed above) is the most affordable option. We hand grind daily using a similar hand grinder but it is just for a cup or two.

Cheap electric grinders tend to over grind the beans and don't do a great job of adjusting the grind for different brewing methods.

I just got a Krups electric grinder (not a burr grinder) and it does just fine for my french press.  America's test kitchen had a review of grinders and found that if you have a high end burr grinder and extremely discerning coffee tastes, that the burr grinders are better, but that for most household use an electric grinder does just as well (and sometimes preferred).  

At the risk of sounding ignorant which I am - what is the difference between "regular" $20 grinders and burr grinders? Adjustable grinding?

The blade grinders just pulverize the beans. You get a combo of powder and chunks. While they are pulverizing they produce a ton of heat because the grounds remain in the hopper until all the beans are smashed. A burr grinder feeds the beans into the burrs a few at a time and drops them into a receptacle below as they are crunched up, limiting the exposure of the beans to heat.

Also the adjustable thing. Espresso or drip needs a finer grind than French press. Coffee that is ground too fine or uneven results in bitterness and sludge.

• Like 2

I just got a Krups electric grinder (not a burr grinder) and it does just fine for my french press. America's test kitchen had a review of grinders and found that if you have a high end burr grinder and extremely discerning coffee tastes, that the burr grinders are better, but that for most household use an electric grinder does just as well (and sometimes preferred).

Not to be argumentative, but I always thought the same until I got a nice breville burr grinder as a gift. I was pretty shocked at the difference in the taste of the coffee.

Not to be argumentative, but I always thought the same until I got a nice breville burr grinder as a gift. I was pretty shocked at the difference in the taste of the coffee.

Yup. That's why I dropped big (for me) money on the Lido. It's the best manual grinder I could find that wouldn't break the bank but could compete with some of the much moare expensive motorized grinders. The Porlex I linked above is about the cheapest grinder I've seen that can produce a consistent grind, and it's pretty close to the OP's budget.

But just say no to blade grinders!

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/638-coffee-grinders

This is America's test kitchen review.  Using infrared thermometers, they found that the burr grinders actually were hotter than the blade grinders.  That the burr grinders results in better bodied coffee, but were more likely to be bitter.  

That said, I am waiting for Fed Ex to deliver my birthday gift--an espresso machine with a built in burr grinder.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/638-coffee-grinders

This is America's test kitchen review. Using infrared thermometers, they found that the burr grinders actually were hotter than the blade grinders. That the burr grinders results in better bodied coffee, but were more likely to be bitter.

That said, I am waiting for Fed Ex to deliver my birthday gift--an espresso machine with a built in burr grinder.

I think the difference is that the burr grinders drop the grounds as they go, but the blade grinders continually regrind the grounds (increasing heat exposure) until all the beans have been pulverized.

You'll have to let us know if you like yours any better 😋

DD is the coffee connoisseur of the family.  We have (or she has) a collection of hand grinders, drip coffee, stovetop espresso, and a Greek coffee pot; she even roasts her own beans.  So she was the one who convinced DH that I would like an espresso machine.  He told me to pick one out and I was overwhelmed--I thought about the Breville semi-automatic with built in grinder, but it won't fit on my cabinets.  So, I have a Delonghi automatic on order.

• Like 1