Menu

Can we talk Kombucha?? Those who make your own...

StaceyinLA

I just want to know what your method is and if you flavor it, when you do it and maybe what type of stuff you use to flavor it.

Have some that'll be ready to separate into small bottles in about a week, and want to be prepared with ideas of how/when to add stuff to it.

Best flavoring we've tried so far was whole (frozen) blue berries and some chopped ginger root. About 1/2 c blueberries and 1 tsp chopped ginger -- if you chop the ginger into matchsticks, it's easy to strain out. It was a huge hit. The blueberries can be discarded or eaten -- they are very flavorful! Fermented (for this second ferment) about 3-4 days. 

We've done a lot of pureed fruits, but my son (the main kombucha drinker) doesn't like the pulp, so the blueberries were the biggest hit. 

Okay but don't you have to do the second ferment? And if you don't, is it not the same, or do you just not get fizz?

And how long does the second ferment usually take?

This is what I was told to do - put the SCOBY, tea, sugar and water in the big jug. That sits about 2 weeks. Then you pour off into the smaller bottles and that sits for another nearly 2 weeks, getting burped every day. I think the flavorings or whatever go in at that time, but IDK if I really want the fruit or other stuff in there to sit for 2 weeks.

And then do you strain it before moving it to the fridge? And how long does it stay good once in the fridge?

Best flavoring we've tried so far was whole (frozen) blue berries and some chopped ginger root. About 1/2 c blueberries and 1 tsp chopped ginger -- if you chop the ginger into matchsticks, it's easy to strain out. It was a huge hit. The blueberries can be discarded or eaten -- they are very flavorful! Fermented (for this second ferment) about 3-4 days.

We've done a lot of pureed fruits, but my son (the main kombucha drinker) doesn't like the pulp, so the blueberries were the biggest hit.

What size container is that amount of fruit/ginger in? Because I have some 20 ounce kombucha bottles from the store I was going to pour into after the initial fermenting.

Do you really only let it sit 3-4 days the second ferment? I was told nearly 2 weeks!

Okay but don't you have to do the second ferment? And if you don't, is it not the same, or do you just not get fizz?

And how long does the second ferment usually take?

This is what I was told to do - put the SCOBY, tea, sugar and water in the big jug. That sits about 2 weeks. Then you pour off into the smaller bottles and that sits for another nearly 2 weeks, getting burped every day. I think the flavorings or whatever go in at that time, but IDK if I really want the fruit or other stuff in there to sit for 2 weeks.

And then do you strain it before moving it to the fridge? And how long does it stay good once in the fridge?

Mine ferments a long time - several months, mostly because I get lazy. It's very fizzy and refreshing.

You can flavor with ginger and all lemon rind and many other flavoring agents.

the flavorings go in when the kombucha has been decanted into bottles or wherever you store it in. I never let anything touch the scoby other than filtered water and tea itself with the sugar.

What size container is that amount of fruit/ginger in? Because I have some 20 ounce kombucha bottles from the store I was going to pour into after the initial fermenting.

Do you really only let it sit 3-4 days the second ferment? I was told nearly 2 weeks!

pint jars. 

Well, we've tried it all sorts of durations for second ferment. :) 

That particular batch was in great demand for ds's graduation weekend . . . and it got drunk up, lol, and it was delicious after 3-4 days. It might have been even better (or gotten bubbly) if we'd waited longer. 

It's a lot of experimenting. ;) 

Okay so you add the fruit/flavorings in during the second ferment? And then it sits from days to weeks, depending on your taste?

How long do most of you do the first ferment? I see as little as a day and a half, but it's summer here and my friend tells me about 2 weeks. Now of course it's not hot inside the house - our house is usually around 72 degrees, so IDK if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

First ferment around 4 days in the summer heat, 7 in cooler months.

Second ferment 1 to 2 days in summer 3 to 4 in cooler temps.

We love pineapple juice to flavor, plain, lemon ginger.

But you really just have to try yourself and see if you like bitter, sweet, etc.

The longer it ferments the more bitter it is.

Okay so you add the fruit/flavorings in during the second ferment? And then it sits from days to weeks, depending on your taste?

How long do most of you do the first ferment? I see as little as a day and a half, but it's summer here and my friend tells me about 2 weeks. Now of course it's not hot inside the house - our house is usually around 72 degrees, so IDK if that makes a difference.

For us, first ferment (sweet tea + scoby in a gallon jar) is about 2-3 weeks to get it just right. It's always in the pantry (no sunlight) and so about 70-73 degrees, as we use AC or heat nearly year round (unless it's 60-70 degrees outside, lol)

Second ferment is at room temp, on the counter. Ideally 5-7 days --- with fruit + ginger + whatever other flavorings. Done in pint jars or sometimes some fancy swing top beer bottles (about 20 oz). Second ferment may last weeks if nobody drinks it right up, or might be as short as 3 days if somebody WANTS it, lol. After a week or so, I'll stick the finished bottles/jars in the fridge to slow things down. The longer they go, the bubblier they get. Note that one batch that went over a month seemed to become alcoholic. (There's generally a trace amount of alcohol in home brewed kombucha.) I wasn't too worried, but did tell my under-age son not to drink it if he'd be driving anywhere within 12 hours, due to the zero-tolerance DUI laws for underage kids. (NO amount of alcohol is allowed in the underage kid's system . . .). So, IME, I'd try to get it drunk 5-20 days after the 2nd ferment begins.

If someone forgets to drink it . . . it can get VERY fizzy after several weeks (in addition to the possible elevated alcohol content). I've had one bottle explode within a week or two, but that one must have had lots of sugar, lol. (I now cover 2nd ferment containers with a towel, just in case.) I've had others BOOM on me when I opened them. The swing top jars do a better job of keeping the fizz in, so they'll get bubblier.