Menu

One day in Venice-- Where to stay/what to do?

ByGrace3

We are going on a family European vacation (7 night cruise and then 2 nights in Paris) and then dh is bringing my younger two home and older dd and I are heading to Italy. We are meeting up with a team from our church for a mission trip, but will arrive 2 nights/1 day ahead of the team. Since we are coming off of a busy vacation and gearing up for a busy 10 days I am thinking we may just rest that day in Venice, but we need a place to stay (preferably not far from the airport since that is where I have to meet the team.) And maybe something not too strenuous to do? I have only been to Venice once and we took the train so I don't even know where the airport is in regards to everything. Suggestions? Thanks!

St. Marks is the most obvious choice. A gondola ride, while cliched, is lovely. We particularly enjoyed the glass blowing demonstrations in one of the outer islands. I liked wandering the alleys, taking in the sights.

Edited by ErinE

Venice is really two parts: Mestre (where the airport is on the mainland) and the historic center/island chain.  If you want to stay close to the airport that is where you'll look for a hotel. It's only a short train ride to Santa Lucia, the terminal in the historic part. My family has stayed in historic at the Golden Violin (Violin D'Oro ? I think) right outside St. Mark's, but I can't speak for the hotel myself.  They were more concerned with views and being close to the docks at the time. :)

My advice would be to just wander.  You can arrange a tour at the Doge's Palace which is always fun (about $40, I think), but Venice is very relaxing to get lost in.  There's fantastic little shops everywhere, pop-up museums, and crazy streets.  Burano is famous for lace-making, Murano for glass, and tons of things in between.

We were there for three days, but in our first day we took a free walking tour with La Bussola (http://www.venicefreetours.com/). It was a great way to navigate around and see all the major sites and get a sense for the city without having to figure it out ourselves (Venice is not easy to find your way around!). I would recommend this for just one day in Venice, too, as you won't waste time just trying to find places!

We took the 4.5 hour Big Tour. It isn't as strenuous as it sounds either, actually it is relaxing to just take things in as someone else leads you, with enough breaks for lovely cappuccino and cichetta.

Edited to Add: It looks like they don't offer the Big Tour (4.5 hours) anymore on the website, although I just took that tour this past April. But they still offer shorter tours that I would recommend!

Edited by Carla