Menu

New idea: "Party line" cell phones for the younger children

RegGuheert

Some background:

Our family does not do much in the way of social media and our children typically do not get cell phones until they are about 16 years old.  We also do not have a land line, so we typically have given a cell phone to the oldest child at home until they go off to college.  This *extra* cell phone is connected to a bluetooth device which rings all the phones in the house when it rings.  This allows us to get in touch with the children while we are out.  Then, as the children grow up and leave, we lather, rinse, repeat.

Now we have a situation where DS17, DD15 and DD15 will all be going off to college within a one-year span.  DS17 already has a cell phone which he got before DS19 left for college.  He used that cell phone last year when he was away on a trip and will use it again this coming year.

But this year, DD15 and DS15 will also be going on the same trip with DS17, but none of them will be together.  What to do?

Options:

- Do nothing.  We never had cell phones when we were kids.  What's the big deal?

- Get two more cell phones and cellular plans, one for each of the twins.  With our plan, that would cost nearly an additional $600/year, including all taxes and fees.

- Get a track phone for each of the twins.  That would probably be a cheaper option than the above.

- A new option, discussed below.

A new option:

In January, I was a beta tester for a new feature that T-Mobile now offers called DIGITS.  The feature I wanted, and that I tested, was the ability to duplicate my cell phone number onto my iPad.  I have always hated texting from my cell phone and I love the ability to make and receive all of my texts on my iPad instead. (I understand that iPad owners who also have iPhones have been able to do this for a long time.)

But there is another feature of DIGITS that T-Mobile offered after the beta period completed at the end of May which is the subject of this email:  You can get new phone numbers WITHOUT getting an additional phone line.  Currently T-Mobile charges US$10.00/month (plus taxes and fees UNLESS you have one of their ALL-IN-ONE plans) for each new DIGITS line you add.

Here's where it gets interesting:  Just like I am able to duplicate my cell phone onto my iPad using DIGITS, each DIGITS line can be shared among up to five devices!

So, here's what we did:  We added a single DIGITS line to our cellular plan.  This line does not get cellular coverage, but it DOES have a new telephone number associated with it.  I added the DIGITS app to each of DD15's, DS15's, and DS13's iPads.  Now when we call this number, it rings all three of their iPads and they can talk directly on that device.  They can also make and receive texts from DIGITS.

Sounds interesting!  But what are the issues with this approach?

This approach is certainly a compromise.  Here are some of the issues and how we are addressing them:

- There is NO CELLULAR COVERAGE with this plan.  The children can ONLY use their new "phones" when they are connected to WiFi.  This is not a problem when they are at home, since they *usually* have internet access here.  So this approach can fulfill one of the main purposes of the added line: it allows us to call home when all of the cell phones are out-and-about.  But what about when they are traveling?  They will need to get onto a WiFi hotspot.  I don't think this will be a big issue for their planned trip next year, as they should be able to hop onto their hosts' cell phones' hotspots while they are there.  (FWIW, we now use WiFi calling on our own cell phones when visiting friends in coverage holes so that we can still make/receive calls in their homes.)  But still, this limits this approach for some uses.

- But you don't know who will pick up the phone when you call that telephone number.  That's right!  That's why I referred to this as a "party line" in the title of this post.  That's not a problem for Mom & Dad.  Others will have to get used to having someone else possibly answer that line.

- But what if someone calls for one of the children and DOESN'T know this is a party line.  Couldn't that lead to some rather embarrassing voice messages?  Yes, it could.  But the kids got together and crafted a clever outgoing message for voicemail that includes all three of their voices warning the caller that their message will be heard by all parties.  It's pretty cute!

- But text message are not private.  Yep.  IMO, that's a good thing!

- When you receive a text from that number, you won't know WHO is texting you.  That's also true!  We have developed a simple system to resolve that issue.  When they write a text message, they preface it with their first initial.  For instance, a message from "Bob" would be "B: TTYL".

- But now those three children will not be able to text among themselves.  Actually, they can, since all text messages from DIGITS are duplicated on all of the devices.  But it's not perfect, since the text messages all show up on the same (right) side of the screen in the same color.  But that's also not private, as mentioned above.  If they want to text each other privately, they can do that directly on their iPads using iMessage.

- Calling on an iPad?  That's pretty strange!  Yeah, it's a bit awkward, and certainly it is not ideal.  Also, when they go on a trip, they will not be able to fit their iPads into their pockets.  To fix this problem, I just purchased a couple of used Android cell phones on eBay to run DIGITS.  I spent about $45 each.  (Unfortunately, the old Android phones I have kicking aound do not support the DIGITS app.)  One of these can sit next to the bluetooth device which will ring the house phones when we call then new DIGITS number.  When they go out of the house, two of them can each grab a cell phone and travel with it.

- Finally, this sounds a bit complicated.  Yeah, it is.  It's interesting trying to explain this to the grandparents.

But there ARE benefits, too!

Nobody would accept drawbacks if there were not also benefits.  Here are the main ones:

- It's a dirt cheap solution!  In our case, it's even cheaper than I said since T-Mobile provided us with a free DIGITS line for life for participating in the beta test.  We only have to pay the taxes and surcharges on that line, which is about $3.50/month.  As such, we save about $550/year over the fully cellular approach.

- Did I mention that this line is NOT PRIVATE to any of our children?  At this age, I consider that a benefit, not a drawback.  These three children will not be using this line to have private communications with anyone (except when they call out using the telephone feature).

- Now MomsintheGarden and I have a way to send text messages to EVERYONE in the family!  (I know, this is no problem for families with ALL iPads and iPhones using iMessage, but it's a real issue when you mix iOS and Android devices.)

Are there other things about DIGITS that are interesting?

Yes.

- I haven't mentioned one of the primary features of DIGITS:  If you install this on you phone, your phone can now make and receive calls to MULTIPLE PHONE NUMBERS.  This is true even if the phone itself is on a different carrier than T-Mobile.  This might be a big deal to many people who now carry two different telephones, one for work and one for personal calls.  I think T-Mobile will be marketing this capability heavily to corporations.  Instead of having to purchase a physical cell phone and service for each employee (many of whom do not want another phone), they can purchase a bunch of DIGITS lines and the employees can simply install the app onto their existing phone.  IMO, that's better for both the employer and the employee.

- Note that T-Mobile is having manufacturers build DIGITS into the latest cell phones so that you do not have to have a separate app to use it.  It's just built-in.  That should be welcome for those who use the service for multiple phone lines on one phone.

- BTW, I think Google now offers something similar called "Fi", but I'll leave it up to others to detail how that works.

Anyway, that's what we are doing to save some money with our youngest three while still giving them some connectivity.  Perhaps this idea is workable for someone else out there.  If you have any questions about the service, I'm happy to try to answer them in this thread.  Otherwise, you might want to check out T-Mobile's DIGITS webpage.

• Like 1

Get a cheaper plan. I share a Cricket plan with some of my siblings, we have 5 phones on the plan, unlimited calls and texts plus some data (can't remember how much, I'm not a big data user) for $100 per month total ($20 each) of course we each have to provide our own phone or buy one of theirs, but there are plenty of decent options for that that do not cost an arm and a leg. I bought a refurbished phone off of eBay.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Get a cheaper plan. I share a Cricket plan with some of my siblings, we have 5 phones on the plan, unlimited calls and texts plus some data (can't remember how much, I'm not a big data user) for $100 per month total ($20 each) of course we each have to provide our own phone or buy one of theirs, but there are plenty of decent options for that that do not cost an arm and a leg. I bought a refurbished phone off of eBay.

Thanks.  That's not really cheaper than our plan.  We have seven lines, each with unlimited calling, texting and data for $130/mo. (plus taxes and surcharges).  (The data is at 4G speeds up to 4GB per phone, then it drops to 128 kbps thereafter.)

• Like 1

Thanks. That's not really cheaper than our plan. We have seven lines, each with unlimited calling, texting and data for $130/mo. (plus taxes and surcharges). (The data is at 4G speeds up to 4GB per phone, then it drops to 128 kbps thereafter.)

So the added cost you mentioned would mostly be paying for phones?

Our oldest two have cell phones.

We have a TracFone for the house. If any of the younger 3 need a phone when they leave the house, they take it. We have a second TracFone that we activate for a month at a time when we need it (last year one needed a phone at cross country, and another needed it at the same time at football).

• Like 1

When you were kids, you had a greater access to payphones than this generation does. I think you're going to need to bite the bullet and get each kid a cell.

Actually, I suspect that free WiFi hotspots are now even more prevalent than pay phones were back when I was a child.

I do agree that we will need to eventually purchase a cell phone plan for each of the children, but I don't think we need to do that within the next three years.

• Like 1

My DD15 has a TracFone. Costs me $12 a month for 120 minutes, which roll over. She can text on it but isn't allowed to very often; it's an emergency phone. She thinks it's unfair and that everyone else her age has a real cell phone, but I don't think that's reason enough to get her a smartphone.

• Like 1

I would not be comfortable with aging and independent teens to be solely reliant on having access to wifi or someone else's hotspot. That's like using someone else's paid data while you are not paying for data. And wouldn't work well necessarily for a true emergency. If they are that attached to a host, do they really need a device at all? I could see that being realistic for a younger kid who got a cell phone because they are involved in a dedicated activity that has good wifi. We compromised here by getting basic republic wireless plans. No data but unlimited text and talk. Phones will use wifi where available and then the phones have smart phone capabilities. I don't have data on my cell for that matter.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 5

My kids use the AT&T spareone $25/yr callling only plan for their cellphones. The SIM cards work on our spare older phones and their camps ban cellphones during camp times. So all my kids need was to have a phone to call us for pickup. We are surrounded by Starbucks and McDonald's so my kids can get onto the free AT&T wifi on their phones by walking a little. Our Xfinity plan also covers their phones for Xfinity wifi hotspots. Between AT&T wifi and Xfinity wifi, my prepaid cellphone is rarely without wifi coverage.

I had my first cellphone in 1991. I could walk into the school/dept office and use my school/college office phone or walked into any govt building and ask to borrow a phone then to call a relative. My former schools' secretaries would have called and just passed me the rotary phone. Now even payphones are rare. My local library has specified that children over 10 years old have to have a cellphone with them if a caregiver is not with them. The library doesn't allow under 10 without a caregiver.

ETA:

T-mobile and Sprint signal strength isn't as strong in my area compared to AT&T.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

We gave up the landline and instead have a home cell. DS can take it whenever he needs a phone on him (like when he goes mountain biking alone). He hates taking it unless it's necessary and almost never needs one, so it's been a perfect solution for our family. We are not opposed to him having a phone if/when it becomes needed. I prefer teens learn the ins and outs of this stuff before they leave home.

We use Consumer Cellular. I think it's $10 per phone, with unlimited texts and more data than we've ever used.

What if there's a power outage at your house, or wherever the kids are? Are their phones dead in the water if that happens, or does the wifi have any sort of battery back-up? 

Actually, I suspect that free WiFi hotspots are now even more prevalent than pay phones were back when I was a child.

I do agree that we will need to eventually purchase a cell phone plan for each of the children, but I don't think we need to do that within the next three years.

But pay phones were located in places where you were most likely to need them for emergencies. WiFi hotspots are not.

• Like 5

Here are a couple of other features I should have mentioned about DIGITS:

- You can make separate calls from each of the handsets simultaneously to different numbers, even though the calls all originate from he same telephone number.

- If you are a T-Mobile customer already, you ALREADY have DIGITS for each line you have. That means that each cell phone number can be shared with up to five (four?) other devices. Given that fact, you could share your number with your children by giving them a device with DIGITS on it. The drawback is y cannot call YOU from that handset.

What if there's a power outage at your house, or wherever the kids are? Are their phones dead in the water if that happens, or does the wifi have any sort of battery back-up?

But pay phones were located in places where you were most likely to need them for emergencies. WiFi hotspots are not.

There is no problem regarding emergencies with this plan if there is a cellular handset available. That is because ANY cellphone handset can be used to dial 911, regardless of whether or not there is a paid cellular plan associated with that handset.

We just had a week long internet outage in our neighborhood. Hundreds of home with no wifi. Her kids would have been out of luck if they had been here.

If the whole point is to have the phone in an emergency I would not rely on having wifi.

Our plan is $10 to add a line so that is a no brainer for us.

• Like 2

There is no problem regarding emergencies with this plan if there is a cellular handset available. That is because ANY cellphone handset can be used to dial 911, regardless of whether or not there is a paid cellular plan associated with that handset.

There are, of course, many emergencies which do not warrant calling 911.

If you want to limit access, that's what you'll get--limited access. I personally don't think 15 is too young to learn how to be phone-responsible, but obviously we all different parenting ideas.

Hope it works for you.

• Like 6

We just had a week long internet outage in our neighborhood. Hundreds of home with no wifi. Her kids would have been out of luck if they had been here.

If the whole point is to have the phone in an emergency I would not rely on having wifi.

Our plan is $10 to add a line so that is a no brainer for us.

I would not say that here, at least, there were ever more pay phones in good places for emergencies than there are wifi hotspots.

As far as power outages - this might be an issue in some areas with long outages.  BUt honestly, that will be more serious than just cell phoes - many regular home phones don't work without power for more than about 24 hours.  And cell phone towers require power too - with a real long term or serious problem where the company cannot keep generators to towers running, you will lose cell coverage from towers after about 24 hours.

Modern digital phone networks are much more fragile than the older analogue ones were.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in knowing what your kids think of the Digits idea....

I'm curious, not wanting Digits, just curious, so I will ask my ds, who has T mobile.

My cable company offers a very cheap phone plan with unlimited calls, text and some data (not sure if it's a little or unlimited), but only through the cable company's wifi (lots of hotspots). Nothing if you are out of wifi range. I considered the idea and decided no, because, to me, the point of a cell phone is that calls or texts can be made from (almost) anywhere -- a moving bus, a park, etc.

If your kids do communicate with friends, think about how it could impact them socially if they explain that any text they send or receive will go to all family members (have I got that right?). My gut reaction is that it is sort of weird, considering the age of your kids.

• Like 3

It's not a situation we would choose unless money was truly the deciding factor (as in absolutely couldn't afford anything else). Our college boys have found that a cell phone with a good data plan is pretty much an assumed thing nowadays. They get emergency alerts from their schools via text, some profs require texting an answer to a question as a way of taking attendance, etc. Yes they could rely on wifi but I wouldn't delude myself into believing that it wouldn't put them at a disadvantage compared to other students. That's not even getting into the fact that this scheme sounds horrendously confusing, it's highly unlikely their friends think the shared voicemail is "cute" or that IMO at their ages (and especially if they're going off to college soon!) kids need to be building independence and learning to make and take responsibility for their own decisions and not having mommy and daddy looking over their shoulders at every text message and things like that.

And I guess that maybe sounds kind of harsh and so I feel compelled to say that I don't really mean it to be. We all have different parenting philosophies and make different choices.

• Like 2

Oh, for me I would probably not take that option - it just sounds too complicated.

I think if I had to pay, and cost was an issue, we'd get a cheap pay as you go option (or something similar depending on the needs and plans offered) or we would go with no phones at all.  I don't have a phone so I am pretty aware of how its possible to get along without one.

Or - kids could pay for the phones is also a reasonable option, in which case they can get what they want to pay for.

Like others are saying, I wouldn't be comfortable with relying on hotspots. That's fine for socializing, but for us the number one reason my kids have phones is in case they're out on the bus and something happens or in case they're stuck somewhere or something goes wrong at a friend's house... I'm fine with them using the phones for socializing - since we don't have a landline, I do see it as a mild necessity, though there are free services where you can get a text and talk number and use it through an app on wifi on any smart device so we could get around it if need be - but the real reason I pay for the phones is emergencies and difficult situations and those don't always happen near wifi hotspots. So that would be a no way for me.

• Like 1