Menu

Is this enough writing for an 8th grader?

My dd is taking Starting Points at the homeschool class academy nearby and the teacher adds extra writing to make the English more complete.

She said they will have a paragraph each week which will need to be revised and edited. Each time the paragraph will work on a diffeeent theme and different writing element using Writer's Inc and some IEW type elements. In order to get the most out of it these paragraphs assignments have specific instructions attached for mom to go through, and then they turn them in the following week.

In addition throughout the course of the year there are four major themes essays requiring literary analysis, as pertains to worldview and literature. So the subject is very mature and students are expected to pull together all the writing elements they learn from the paragraph assignments into 6 paragraph essays, MLA style, etc.

As far as just physical writing and putting more thoughts on paper, there are also about 6-10 pages per week of handwritten literary analysis, worldview, history, etc etc which the student must complete in his or her notebook.

You know now that I write it all out, it seems fine ...

I agree - it seems like plenty. I'm very much against the whole "polished paper every week" mentality. Most college courses don't require anywhere near that. Working on a polished paragraph per week and having a few larger assignments seems very appropriate, especially alongside work for other subjects that involves writing.

• Like 5

My dd is taking Starting Points at the homeschool class academy nearby and the teacher adds extra writing to make the English more complete.

She said they will have a paragraph each week which will need to be revised and edited. Each time the paragraph will work on a diffeeent theme and different writing element using Writer's Inc and some IEW type elements. In order to get the most out of it these paragraphs assignments have specific instructions attached for mom to go through, and then they turn them in the following week.

In addition throughout the course of the year there are four major themes essays requiring literary analysis, as pertains to worldview and literature. So the subject is very mature and students are expected to pull together all the writing elements they learn from the paragraph assignments into 6 paragraph essays, MLA style, etc.

As far as just physical writing and putting more thoughts on paper, there are also about 6-10 pages per week of handwritten literary analysis, worldview, history, etc etc which the student must complete in his or her notebook.

You know now that I write it all out, it seems fine ...

Oh yes! They do tons of writing in that. A few good quality papers mean a lot more than tons of poorly done papers. I know someone who did that program and he had no trouble knocking off a 10 page paper in college as a freshman. Ok, so he had one problem..he always wanted to make them longer.

• Like 1