Menu

Ikea Pahl desks. Do you like them?

I have a new homeschool room and want to get my girls desks. I've seen these adjustable height ones from ikea but I can't really find any reviews. If you have these desks, do you like them? If not them, do you have a simple desk that works for your young kids that you would recommend instead? I have to get 3 of these so some desks that aren't too expensive would be best.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/39128955/

DS used his kid sized desk for one year even though he could have used it for a few more.  I would be more apt to get a regular desk and instead invest in good quality adjustable office chairs.  Little kids like being up with the big kids/grown-ups anyways.

Yeah I bought my kids all kinds of "amazing stuff" to make our homeschooling awesome. They never used any of the desks, they didn't like some of the expensive curriculum, they never sat in the school chairs, (preferred the kitchen table or couch)...for grades K-6:

Things that were worth it:

SL K

five in a Row Vol 1, 2, 3

Anything published by TWTM/ Peace Hill

Arithmetic books such as Horizons, Saxon (Math In Focus would be worth it)

Abeka Phonics, CLP Phonics

Jeannie Fulbright Science Books

Good quality art supplies

I'm just saying that it's highly likely your kids will sit anywhere but at this desk :)

Yeah I bought my kids all kinds of "amazing stuff" to make our homeschooling awesome. They never used any of the desks, they didn't like some of the expensive curriculum, they never sat in the school chairs, (preferred the kitchen table or couch)...for grades K-6:

Things that were worth it:

SL K

five in a Row Vol 1, 2, 3

Anything published by TWTM/ Peace Hill

Arithmetic books such as Horizons, Saxon (Math In Focus would be worth it)

Abeka Phonics, CLP Phonics

Jeannie Fulbright Science Books

Good quality art supplies

I'm just saying that it's highly likely your kids will sit anywhere but at this desk :)

I've been homeschooling a few years already and have a pretty good idea of what we need and don't need. We have been using our kitchen table, but given my children's needs and personalities, I think desks would serve them well. Not all the time, but dd6 is very independent and gets annoyed when her sisters are in her space when she's working and dd8 draws for hours daily, leaving all her papers on the table. Each of them having their own space would be helpful, not all the time but enough to make it worth it. Dd5 would just be getting one because she'd feel left out otherwise. So yeah, this isn't just to make a shiny new homeschooling room. We just happened to move and are able to have a room to dedicate to all our stuff.

I don't know what you mean by full size, but i got the one without the shelf. It is adjustable, so I got adjustable chairs too. It is big enough for me and one child. Plus, I have a stack of books on one side of the table.

It is not a big desk, like one would see in a lawyer's office.

We don't have room for each child to have their own desk. So I use it to homeschool with my 2 oldest.

I hope this helps.

I have a new homeschool room and want to get my girls desks. I've seen these adjustable height ones from ikea but I can't really find any reviews. If you have these desks, do you like them? If not them, do you have a simple desk that works for your young kids that you would recommend instead? I have to get 3 of these so some desks that aren't too expensive would be best.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/39128955/

We own three types of IKEA desks, and two of them have adjustable legs. We love the desks.

My best advice for you is to play with the legs in the store and determine the ease of adjusting the leg height. My DD's desk is a retired A-frame legged, Galant style desk, and the leg height adjustment is a pain.

I don't know what you mean by full size, but i got the one without the shelf. It is adjustable, so I got adjustable chairs too. It is big enough for me and one child. Plus, I have a stack of books on one side of the table.

It is not a big desk, like one would see in a lawyer's office.

We don't have room for each child to have their own desk. So I use it to homeschool with my 2 oldest.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, you did answer my question. I was mostly wondering if it extended to a normal height. It sounds like it does. Thank you.