Menu

I was not going to do it this year but

Liz CA

I have to complain about the heat again.

It's 12:03am and F81 outside. My AC is inadequate, so inside temp is F79.

Tomorrow's high is supposedly F106, then a "cool-down" on Sunday to F98.  ;)

I suppose it would be worse if I lived some place like Phoenix...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

hugs.  it's the fan on my a/c that's inadequate.  though I'm starting to wonder if it's the systems exterior thermometer.

we're expecting temps in the low 90s sat/sun.  that's hot for here. it was a gorgeous day today though.  olympics were out, baker was out, rainier was out - ding dong crystal clear this morning.

it's cooled down outside, still warm inside.  I've opened all the windows and the one door with a screen.  finally starting to cool off inside.

• Like 2

It is very hot here all summer.  115 for three months, plus another 2-3 months with temps over 100 every day.  Yes, it's a dry heat, but it's so dry and hot that it feels like I'm in a dryer (and the clothes actually dry more quickly outside than they do in a dryer) and it's hard to keep from getting dehydrated.  

Someday I want to live in a place with 40% humidity and temperatures that never go above 80 degrees.

• Like 3

We don't even turn our AC on unless the inside temp is at least 80, then we only have AC downstairs.  Our bedrooms are upstairs.  Fortunately we live in an area that is usually cool enough to keep things under 80 degrees (inside) as long as we can open windows overnight.  Yesterday got up to 83 inside (downstairs) though.   :glare:

It gets cooler again starting tomorrow here.

I'll admit I feel for (admire?) those from the "old days" who toughed things out without A/C - and often without shorts or other hot weather "common today" clothing.  I also wonder how many of them suffered from heat related deaths though.

• Like 3

I have to complain about the heat again.

It's 12:03am and F81 outside. My AC is inadequate, so inside temp is F79.

Tomorrow's high is supposedly F106, then a "cool-down" on Sunday to F98.  ;)

Since I live in Phoenix, I'll agree with you on that!  :D

Our forecasted high is supposed to be 114*F. And remember, temps are measured in the shade. :eek: Something I just learned this week!

Wanna come visit??  :cool:

• Like 1

It is very hot here all summer. 115 for three months, plus another 2-3 months with temps over 100 every day. Yes, it's a dry heat, but it's so dry and hot that it feels like I'm in a dryer (and the clothes actually dry more quickly outside than they do in a dryer) and it's hard to keep from getting dehydrated.

Someday I want to live in a place with 40% humidity and temperatures that never go above 80 degrees.

We had 115 (46) once here. It was hell... I can't imagine living in it for three months of the year!

• Like 1

Woohoo -- we're having a cool break, with a high of 80 and low humidity this weekend!  Then it's back to our regularly scheduled program of highs in the 90s with extreme humidity.

The first year I lived here in St Louis people died of the heat in the summer, and of the cold in the winter.  I could not imagine why people chose to live here long term (we were here for about a year, then moved to New Hampshire).  Yet, here we are, years later ... and the weather is still extreme -- if it's crappy weather, we have some permutation of it here!

• Like 1

Oldest is attending a math camp held at the state university so we are hibernating at the campus library until near sunset these two weeks for Monday to Saturday.

Thursday was supposed to be the hottest but it wasn't so bad. I'm at South Bay which is cooler than Livermore/Dublin/Pleasanton usually.

• Like 1

We don't even turn our AC on unless the inside temp is at least 80, then we only have AC downstairs.  Our bedrooms are upstairs.  Fortunately we live in an area that is usually cool enough to keep things under 80 degrees (inside) as long as we can open windows overnight.  Yesterday got up to 83 inside (downstairs) though.   :glare:

It gets cooler again starting tomorrow here.

I'll admit I feel for (admire?) those from the "old days" who toughed things out without A/C - and often without shorts or other hot weather "common today" clothing.  I also wonder how many of them suffered from heat related deaths though.

This would make all the difference. No matter how hot it gets during the daylight hours, it you can count on it cooling down considerably at night you get some relief at least. We've had windows open at night but it seems to make little difference. Even the breeze we had the other night was too warm.

• Like 2

Since I live in Phoenix, I'll agree with you on that!  :D

Our forecasted high is supposed to be 114*F. And remember, temps are measured in the shade. :eek: Something I just learned this week!

Wanna come visit??  :cool:

Not really. :)

I landed at the Phoenix airport a couple of years ago in July or August. It was F114. I crawled alongside a building in the sparse shade it provided to get to the car rental agency. The difference from the outside temp to the inside office temp had to be 50 degrees.

104 here today and a distant tropical storm has it so humid. We do have pretty great A/C, but I'm already starting to swear at the electric bill, and it's not even here yet.

Ugh, that's even worse than what I am experiencing. Dry heat here and no storm in sight. I've lived through 2 weeks in Florida once where temps around F85 felt like F105 and evening thunder and lightening every day. At least the storm breaks up the routine a little. :laugh:

• Like 1

Where is this place I will meet you there as soon as my GPS pumps out the deets...

104 here today and a distant tropical storm has it so humid. We do have pretty great A/C, but I'm already starting to swear at the electric bill, and it's not even here yet.

Here too. We actually look forward to winter when our electric bill goes down because we can turn off the A/C sometimes.

We rarely get temperatures over 100 but our average humidity is in the 70% + range so with temps in the 90s it always feels hotter. Like Katie said, our heat index for the next few days will be over 100.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

That's my mantra for survival in Albuquerque: at least it isn't Phoenix! I don't know how you southern AZ ladies do it. You've got my respect!

Where is this place I will meet you there as soon as my GPS pumps out the deets...

Please take me with you!!!!! I love the dryness of the desert. I'd just prefer a desert that's in the 60's right now rather than the 100's.

• Like 1

It's about 57 and cloudy here today, and I wish I could share the refreshing, gray cool with all of you who are roasting! I will MISS this when we move.

I posted this on a heat thread last summer, but maybe it will help someone to repeat.

Go to the camping section of a sporting goods store and buy a bunch of those emergency space blankets. They are 2 or 3 bucks each. Cover your windows and especially any skylights.They will reflect back the sun and make your home cooler. Although once it's 91 inside, its probably too late, but maybe next time?

• Like 4

We actually had some rain today here in Central Texas. I believe high temps yesterday were pushing 100, so today's 80 felt quite cool. :-) Our humidity has been very low, however, which has really helped.

And yes, I am thankful every.single.day for AC. :-)

• Like 1

This would make all the difference. No matter how hot it gets during the daylight hours, it you can count on it cooling down considerably at night you get some relief at least. We've had windows open at night but it seems to make little difference. Even the breeze we had the other night was too warm.

I agree totally.  We lived in FL for 5 years before deciding year round in the south wasn't for us.  I can take cold better than I can take heat.  Right now it's 66 degrees out and having open windows overnight has cooled our house off nicely.  Today's high is only supposed to be 80 too (with lower humidity).  It should be gorgeous.

I'll freely admit to enjoying spending Feb (and sometimes into March) in the south though.  I want to join the PP who wanted 70's -80 year round.  Snowbirding is definitely something we're working toward.

• Like 1

All of you you who want low humidity and an average of F70-80, coastal Northern CA and Southern Oregon fit this bill, You have to deal with a little fog now and then but that's it. Oh...well then there are the washed out roads in the winter...

• Like 1

All of you you who want low humidity and an average of F70-80, coastal Northern CA and Southern Oregon fit this bill, You have to deal with a little fog now and then but that's it. Oh...well then there are the washed out roads in the winter...

Been there.  Neat to visit, but not where I want to live TBH.  YMMV

We're wanderers at heart, so don't mind chasing the weather we want while exploring different places.

• Like 1