Menu

Latin sequence that you loved?

We didn't start Latin young - we did living languages first (and continued them with Latin added in) while the boys were young enough to pick up pronunciation without feeling self-conscious.

The rough schedule was to play with Minimus for a year or two, starting at about age 8 (without any expectation of retention) then start on Latin Prep I at about age 10, going through somewhat less than a book a year.  Calvin was at home longest with this background - by the time he was 13, and went to school, he was working through Latin Prep Book III.  He was well prepared to join Latin classes at school, and went to university to study Classics and English.

• Like 2

4th grade - Latin for Children A

5th grade - Latin for Children B

6th - nothing (started, but didn't like LfC C or LA 1)

7th - Wheelock's first half)

8th - Wheelock's (second half)

9th - Readings

10th - AP Latin

We outsourced to Lukeion for Wheelock's through AP.

• Like 1

WE have done, or used a bit of a ton of Latin curriculum,  starting with Song School Latin, Getting Started with Latin,  Lively Latin 1 & 2, Latin Prep, First-Second Form Latin, Latin Book 1 by Scott from a Yahoo group. We have Latin Book 2 & Wheelocks.

If I did it again, I would just wait for Getting Started with Latin ( aloud ), First Form Latin, Latin Book 1 & 2 before moving on to Wheelocks. I would start in about 3rd - 4th grade and just go slow. We have retained so very much but have shelved a ton. Focus on a solid grammar before starting or teach grammar alongside. Song School was fun, but expensive

• Like 1

My modified plan for my younger dd, based on lessons learned from my older two is:

3 - GSWL

4 - Big Book of Lively Latin 1

5 - finish BBoLL 1, start 2

6 - finish BBoLL 2

After that my olders focused on their already ongoing Spanish and German studies, both of which were aided by the Latin studies. German isn't a romance language, but already understanding cases was very helpful.

I used SSL in a co-op class last year, but I wouldn't be able to do it at home. The vocabulary was grammatically scattered and we would have had to re-memorizing the vocabulary with additional information later. Both of those would have driven me batty.

• Like 1

Great Girl completed, and Middle Girl has almost completed, Artes Latinae. AL was a 2-year high school/ 2-semester course in the 1950s when Dr Waldo Sweet designed it, but now is equivalent to 3 years of high school Latin. GG went straight to a university Virgil course when done and was over-prepared. AL teaches Latin using a structural linguistics approach, which teaches the student to read naturally from the beginning of each sentence rather than picking out subject, verb, object, & modifiers. It uses CD-ROMs and can be set for any Latin pronunciation. My kids have found it to be effective and enjoyable. It is/was expensive, but it's all we needed to purchase for Latin; and most importantly GG can actually read Latin, while MG is nearly able.

Unfortunately the owner(s) of AL, Bolchazy-Carducci, did not update the software and now have ceased selling it entirely, so it's only available used. We keep our antique desktop computer solely for running AL.

• Like 1