Menu

Help me plan food for a party? Please.

MaeFlowers

I'm so out of my range here. I haven't thrown a party in a very long time. I also haven't been to a party in a while, either.

Tomorrow, 40-50 people will be showing up at my house for a house warming/birthday party. Dh told everyone to come at 4 to swim and 6 to eat. The pool is a neighborhood pool so they will not be at the house the whole time. However, the weather may not cooperate (and some may not want to swim) so I am thinking I will need drinks and nibblies for the 4-6 timeframe. Ideas?

Then, at 6, we are having bbq. We have ordered in the main dishes and a few sides. (Beans, potato salad, and mac n cheese) I think we should offer more sides to go with that. I was planning on tabouli and maybe a salad bar. Do you think that would be enough?

I also wanted to offer some desserts. I was thinking about making homemade ice cream and making cookies for the kids. Should I also do something more adult?

We ordered tea and lemonade to go with dinner but will not have that until 5:30 when we pick up the main dishes. I am planning on picking up some bottled water today. Dh is making the liquor store run. I think that should be enough for drinks.

We also have one family member with a nut allergy. I want to respect that.

Sorry if my writing is scattered. I'm feeling a bit scattered today with all that is going on. I just need help figuring this all out. Any ideas for dishes or how to make things run smoothly would be awesome.

I would simplify. Homemade ice cream and a salad bar for 40-50 is a lot of work. I'd pick up fruit salad, a veggie tray, and chip and dip. Tabouli is nice, but it doesn't really go with BBQ. Coleslaw maybe? Cake for the birthday. Cookies, brownies, rice crispy treats? 

• Like 4

I like zoobie's ideas, especially adding fruit. Someone might find the other food a bit too heavy or whatever. I guess if you have a membership to a warehouse store you could easily get large bags of salad mix, but I don't know how complicated it would be if you are adding a bunch of toppings and dressings to choose from.

I might find another drink to keep in the house in case I have a group of people expecting something other than water and liquor to drink before 5:30. It could be something easy, a bottle of soda or store made lemonade or something?

Are you going to bring some of the bottled water to the pool side? That might be nice.

Agree that the ice cream and the salad bar are a lot of work. For summertime bbq dessert I would lug along some large watermelons, slice, and be done.

I also think 3 sides is enough and you shouldn't make any more.

If you want nibbles for 4p-6p, I would set out some veggie trays and dip, or chips and dip, or tortilla chips with salsa. All are pretty easy to put together if you get pre-sliced veggies.

• Like 2

I was thinking we needed to add light/cold foods. There is a chance of rain but if it doesn't, its going to be humid. I have some watermelon and cataloupe that I was planning to cut. I forgot about that.

I think I will skip the tabouli. Others suggested coleslaw but I don't know how to make it and I won't by it prepared because of food poisoning risks. If I don't do salad, should I just skip having another side?

I will pick up Coke and Sprite and some more fruit, for sure. Maybe a fruit dip?

I will tell DH to take some water for the poolside, too.

I would do a veggie tray just so you have some kind of veggie plus it can do "double duty" and be set out early for the nibblers.  I would probably get some kinds of chips, that just screams BBQ to me.  Also I would probably do a cake (especially if you have access to Costco or Sam's where you can get a good sized cake for not much money).  I would probably buy a few gallons of ice cream and then have root beer.  If someone doesn't like cake they can make a root beer float or just have ice cream.

• Like 2

Okay. I think we've decided on the followling...

A veggie tray and fruit tray with dips for the afternoon. I will also pick up some sodas and bottle waters.

For dinner, I will add some chips and skip any major production.

For dessert, I am going to make chocolate cupcakes, buy vanilla ice cream and get some root beer. People can combine how they wish.

The weather forecast is calling for rain all afternoon and 80 degrees as the high. All of our planned activities were outdoors!

Thank you for the help!

• Like 4

I think what you have is fine, but FYI for making coleslaw..you can buy the Marzetti slaw dressing in a bottle near the mayonnaise or salad dressing (depending on the store) and mix it into a bag of pre shredded slaw mix you get by the bagged salads. Easy. 

• Like 3

I think what you have is fine, but FYI for making coleslaw..you can buy the Marzetti slaw dressing in a bottle near the mayonnaise or salad dressing (depending on the store) and mix it into a bag of pre shredded slaw mix you get by the bagged salads. Easy. 

This is what I do, too. Very easy.

• Like 1

I vote for watermelon slices, Costco pie, and a couple of mondo packs of Costco ice cream sandwiches for dessert.  Something for everyone and every kind of diet restriction, no portioning required by the hosts.

Also a couple of mondo hummus containers to go with your veggie platter.

I  :001_wub: Costco when feeding a crowd.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go to the trouble of home made ice cream. I did that for a small BBQ once and almost killed DH with the stress, lol. Everyone made really good suggestions. I think you are planning on offering enough food, but I'd go the Popsicle, ice cream bar route for dessert and call it good. People WILL be happy.