Menu

DIVE Biology... with different lab kit?

I plan to have my son use DIvE Biology, but the lab kit is expensive. And I want hands on labs in addition to the video labs. Has anyone used a different lab kit? Without dissections? Or, if you put your own together, how many labs for the year for an honors biology ? Thanks.

I don't know if it would work with DIVE Biology, but we bought an AP Chemistry Kit from Quality Science Labs and have been very pleased with the price and the kit.

I admit I'm a bit confused: I thought the reason to use DIVE Biology was to AVOID doing the labs live, but rather observed them as videos and wrote lab reports based on that. At least that's how our children used DIVE Biology.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yes, I think you can just do it that way. I want to use DIVE because of the video lectures, note taking and tests.

But I want hands on labs as well. And he sells a kit with which to do so. But I was hoping there was a cheaper option, being as we will use the video labs too.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, DIVE does not have video labs. The labs are a series of still images with voice over designed to guide you through doing the lab, not to be a lab replacement. We did use the lab CD to replace a few of the most expensive labs, but used DIVE and did most of the labs at home. 

• Like 3

Yes, that is what I meant.... by video labs, but I am glad you clarified it Momto2ns.... so I assume you bought the dive lab kit? I think I will just bite the bullet and buy it then.

No, I never bought lab kits. We bought lab supplies every year and always found we had many of the supplies already on hand. I spent about $100/year on science lab supplies every year, but I pieced things together and with DIVE I picked a few labs that were too expensive and did them as video.

Both of mine did DIVE Biology. I picked which labs they did and had them watch the others. They did about 75% of them.

But I already owned a lot of lab equipment because I used to teach local science classes and people gave me stuff, so I pretty much only had to buy the animals for dissection.

• Like 2