Menu

Math 180 program?

I can't recall exactly how your child does in math specifically.  Are they sort of close to grade level in math?  Behind?  Seriously behind?  Way, way, way behind?  I assume they are not ahead or you wouldn't be looking at this program.

I have not had experience with this particular program.  I like some of the examples (although they were awfully small and hard to read so I wish they would show them at full screen size), but there sure aren't terribly many of them, at least not that I could find.  It honestly was mainly tooting their horn using all the words I have heard before with other programs.  I need examples, solid dynamic examples, to base a decision on.  Also, this looks like it is exclusively set up for use in a classroom.  Do you know if it is even available to laymen, or is it accessible only to school systems?  So far it looks like it is accessible only to school systems.

Things that are of immediate concern to me:

1.  It is designed for use in a classroom setting so it may not be easily adaptable to home use even if it is available.  It also may be exorbitantly expensive.  I couldn't find a price.  

2.  While there is classroom instruction as part of it, the bigger component looks to be computer based.  Any computer based math program that forces acceleration for kids that are struggling gives me pause since the computer cannot know what the underlying issues are for individual students and adjust accordingly.

3.  I can't tell if the system is dynamic or strictly linear in its approach, meaning if a student hits snags does it provide additional instruction suggestions/problems/review of previous concepts or does it just make the student move on... or just repeat the existing material and exact same problems again and again?

4.  There hasn't been a single on-line math program I have ever found that was able to accelerate my kids through math.  They have been useful tools in our arsenal but they just absolutely could not replace me tweaking extensively and incorporating multiple sources so things made sense and actually stuck long term.

5.  And finally, when I did a search, I did find this rather limited and obviously biased review but it did also add to my concerns.  http://samizdatmath.com/?p=378

I promise I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer.  I just feel like until I see solid proof I need to come at ANY math program with serious skepticism.  I've wasted too many years and too much money to think that ANY one program provides all the things it promises.  I haven't found a single one that does, at least not for kids that seriously struggle in this subject.

But for your child it might be a great fit.  Since I have never used it, I can't provide useful feedback but hopefully someone else can.  I wish there were some example problems parents could try.  I hope you find something helpful.

Edited by OneStepAtATime