Menu

What is your interpretation of this bumper sticker: Let me tell you about my grandchildren?

gaillardia

I hate it when I think of this kind of stuff this late at night because I am signing off after my post and will check back in the late morning.

Having just heard from one of my kids who is far away (and we do keep in touch), made me think of possible grandchildren with this kid.

Then I remembered the bumper sticker....Let me tell you about my grandchildren.

I always thought it meant along the lines of, "Please stop tailgating me or driving irresponsibly. I have grandchildren that I love dearly and I want to see them grow up. I love my life even if I am old."

What do you think is the intention of that saying? Contentious? Bitter? Sarcastic? Heart-felt?

Somebody who loves his/her grandchildren and loves to talk about them.

Honestly, it would never have occurred to me that it could mean anything else. It's always an eye opening revelation to me that others interpret things like that differently (and this is one reason I love the Hive. I think. ;))

• Like 25

Honestly, it would never have occurred to me that it could mean anything else. It's always an eye opening revelation to me that others interpret things like that differently (and this is one reason I love the Hive. I think. ;))

I agree.

• Like 2

I think it just means they're proud of their grandchildren. Like "I love" my dog/cat/student, etc.

ETA: I did see a bumper sticker that said something along the lines of: The closer you get to me the slower I will go. That's someone who doesn't want to be tailgated. I love that bumper sticker!!

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 10

If I saw that sticker on the bumper of my children's grandfather's vehicle (who happens to live right near Quill, BTW), I would interpret it as follows:

"Let me tell you about how my grandchildren have been ruined because they are homeschooled, live on a "compound" and they never get any proper socialization like they should get by going to public schools.  I went to public school and that's how they should be raised."

• Like 6

Same here.   

• Like 2

it makes me think of a grandma who will talk your ear off telling you about her grandchildren.

I recently saw one that said "grandma with pictures on board".

years ago, I heard about (might have been a reader's digest funny) a woman returning through customs, and they asked the purpose of her visit/anything to declare . . . she said she'd been to help her daughter with her new baby and she had the pictures to prove it . .to which the customs agent yelled NEXT . . .

• Like 6

I would have just thought it was cute, a reference to the fact that grandparents love to brag about their grandkids and the driver is no exception.

My grandpa had a bumper sticker that said "If I'd known how much fun my grandkids would be I would have had them first"

I miss him.

• Like 4

I think I'm gonna need one of the aforementioned stickers. ;-p

I want to need one of the aforementioned stickers . . . .cry. . . . .

dd said maybe next year  . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

I hate it when I think of this kind of stuff this late at night because I am signing off after my post and will check back in the late morning.

Having just heard from one of my kids who is far away (and we do keep in touch), made me think of possible grandchildren with this kid.

Then I remembered the bumper sticker....Let me tell you about my grandchildren.

I always thought it meant along the lines of, "Please stop tailgating me or driving irresponsibly. I have grandchildren that I love dearly and I want to see them grow up. I love my life even if I am old."

What do you think is the intention of that saying? Contentious? Bitter? Sarcastic? Heart-felt?

Wow, I think you're way overthinking that bumper sticker. Lol!

I take it to mean: I love, love, love, LOOOVE my grandchildren, and I'll talk your ear off telling you all about them.

Yeah, it definitely says to me, "I talk about my grandkids so much that there's a running joke about it."

Yes this. I would have thought "Do not under any circumstances ask this person about their grandchildren." :laugh:

• Like 3

"I am one of those people who loves to talk about my grandkids."

Definitely heart-felt, proud of their grandkids, also tongue-in-cheek because they know it is a cliche. Having fun with a cliche in a cute way.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Yeah, it definitely says to me, "I talk about my grandkids so much that there's a running joke about it."

Yep, this. It is meant to show how much someone loves their grandkids and think they are the best. Like taking out your purse and showing strangers pictures of your grandkids for example.