Menu

Mattress help please!!!

StaceyinLA

I am desperate for mattresses that don't make me feel like I'm 80 when I get out of bed in the mornings. We have expensive latex mattresses. I bought firm because I felt like I needed support, but it has a nice topper. It makes me miserable to sleep on it. We've had it for several years, and it was okay for a while, but for whatever reason now, I'm absolutely miserable on it.

I'm also miserable if I sleep on our crappy queen guest bed (it's a Serta, but it's firm with no topper and it sucks terribly), and on the spare twin I have for the grandkids (more cushy but it's a little dented in the center, even though it's not old, and I HATE that). Honestly the couch would likely work, except where the cushions meet my butt sinks in so I sleep at a weird angle and that isn't good either.

PLEASE tell me what mattresses I need. I'm only 49 years old; I need to stop feeling like I'm gonna break a hip every time I get up in the morning.

Are you a side, back, or front sleeper?

Asking because your pain might not necessarily be related to the mattress, but your hips, sacrum, or lumbar region could be out of alignment and you may be feeling the affects of that after your body lays down for a long time and they get stiff. I had the same troubles, so that is why I am wondering. Most chiropractors recommend sleeping on the back, as that allows the body to be best aligned. If you are on your side, then sleep with a pillow between your legs.

We have a Serta - it has been wonderful.

Generally, firm mattresses do not allow your body to keep its natural shape when at rest and do more pushing. Mattresses that allow for give against your natural contour put less pressure on your spine and hips. I would tend to shop for one that was softer than firmer.

We just got a Tempurpedic and it's HEAVEN. My body feels so good in the morning.

We previously had a hybrid, and while it felt really good to lay on, I felt wrecked in the morning.

I used to think Tempurpedics were a gimmick, but now I'm a believer.

We went through several mattresses and were never really happy with any of them. We have a Sealy now that I really like, but I think the biggest improvement comes from our adjustable base -- we both sleep so much better!

If you're a side sleeper, could it be that you need a higher pillow?  I use a memory foam one from Costco and it has helped so much! I used to wake up constantly to adjust my pillow just to wake up sore and exhausted.  It's 100% better now.  It took some prodding for my dh to try a memory foam pillow, but he loves it too.  

I have a memory foam pillow. The problem is definitely my lower back/hips. I am thinking of maybe getting a thick memory foam and replacing the thinner latex topper that we currently use. If I do something a few inches thick, wouldn't that be a lot like having a tempurpedic? I like that I'd still have the support of the firm mattress underneath.

My issue is when mattresses start sinking in the middle - then I feel like I'm always rolling toward the sunken spot. It's weird, and I just can't seem to find a solution.

We had a regular, but uncomfortable and cheap, mattress on our old bed and got a 3 inch memory foam topper. It made the bed heavenly! I am also a side sleeper whose lower back gives me trouble in the day time. We recently had a new bedroom built and got a queen size bed. I ordered what was supposed to be a nice memory foam mattress. Well, the first night I slept on it, I felt like I had slept on a rock on the side of a cliff. I went right out to Walmart and got a queen size 3 inch memory foam topper and now it is perfect. Yes, memory foam on top of memory foam sounds stupid, but it really made a world of difference. I do still prefer the feel of a regular inner spring mattress under the memory foam (my old bed that dd has now), just because of the slight bounce. The memory foam doesn't move at all. DD says she feels like our bed is eating her when she gets on it, lol. 

• Like 1

I have dealt with hip issues for the last few years, and tried an Sterns and Foster, rather expensive mattress. I returned that in a week when the out gassing of the memory foam gave me headaches.  Our mattress left indentations where we slept and needed to be flipped every few weeks.  We are not by any means big people, but even with memory foam in the middle, I felt the effects.   I put a medium topper on that, and although better, my hips hurt every few weeks until we flipped the mattress and put the topper back on.

Recently, I got a great deal on craigslist from someone moving.  We ended up with all latex, a firm on the bottom and 2, 3" soft on top of that. My hips are so happy and so am I!   If your mattress isn't sagging, you might want to try a 3" soft latex topper.  I would definitely stick with latex over memory foam, and a soft one at that.

I am appalled at the size of mattresses these days in the US.  It seems to be getting out of hand. One thing to keep in mind with this thought...is if you get a mattress and live upstairs, make sure it can be easily moved.  I've seen these poor guys struggle with our stairway that has a corner and trying to get a queen mattress up the stairs, then back down when it didn't work out!

I actually have latex. I have a firm latex mattress with a soft topper, but I just don't think the topper is thick enough. That's why I was considering a memory foam in place of it.

Maybe I could just do a thinner memory foam (1 1/2 - 2 inches) and leave the latex topper as well.