Menu

When the math part of their brain seems to be asleep...pre-teen brain fog

JumpyTheFrog

Tigger is 11 and excellent at math. For the last month, however, that part of his brain seems to be on vacation. You know when your computer's hard drive is making those noises because it is working too hard? His brain seems similar, but just for math. Other subjects seem fine.

How long does this stage last?

Edited by HoppyTheToad

Here has been 12-14. She's coming out of it now, in a huge way. I mean she still has her moments, but it's nothing like it was a year ago. I see the light. The attitude/mood swings have calmed way down as well. Those showed up earlier than the fog. Probably the later part of age 10. 

14 has been better here than the past few years, but the fog is still present from time to time. I remind DH that teenagers need the same support and grace as preschoolers--in many ways it's a similar type of growth.

I was honest about the fog with DS because he would get so frustrated--stuff he knew perfectly well would suddenly allude him. I gave him tons of space when he needed it; I figured if he just wasn't going to be able to solve something today, he would attack it with gusto the following (or when the fog lifted).

I think it's a fascinating phenomenon--neither DH nor I remember going through it. I'm super grateful we were able to homeschool during the worst of it.