Menu

Packing commodity goods to take on overseas flight

cjzimmer1

So my DS leaves for his missions trip next week and is planning to take some food items that are not readily available there to bless the missionaries.  Items mentioned were peanut butter, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, Dream Whip or Graham wafer crumbs (I'm assuming this is just crushed graham crackers but feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong).

I figured he can stick peanut butter in his checked luggage quite easily.  It would withstand temperature changes just fine.  But he would like to take chocolate chips as well.  I'm concerned they will melt in the checked luggage because I have no idea what temps that bag will be subjected to but I don't want him to have problem if he has 5-10 bags in his carry-on luggage.

Anyone knows if the above items will cause undo inspection if in a carry-on.  He's already a bit nervous about the trip so I don't want to have him caught in unnecessary hassles if we can avoid it. We are ruling out the Dream Whip for that reason because really who wants to deal with it if they get suspicious over white powder.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where he's going, but I would imagine packaged (sealed, unopened) food items would be fine, no matter what they are inside. When we lived in Brazil we regularly brought back peanut butter, chocolate candies, powdered salad dressing mixes, etc. with no issue. DH still regularly takes cookies down as treats. Any of it should be fine in the checked luggage; usually it's cold in the belly of the plane, not hot, so it should not be a big issue. Chocolate chips in the carry on should be fine, if he's concerned. 

Just no liquids (peanut butter in the carry-on would be a no, for ex; I had some tossed once) in the carry-on, otherwise, should be fine. 

It's sweet of him to do this; I know it will be a blessing to those receiving it. 

• Like 2

What is the destination country?  What are their laws?  

ETA: We live in Colombia.   I did bring back one or 2 boxes of stuff we bought in a Publix Supermarket in FL. I did not bring back several other things I would have liked to, because they were in glass jars and I was afraid they would break in checked luggage.

On one trip to the USA we brought some bags of Colombian Coffee.  I had to go through a special agricultural inspection in U.S. Customs for those.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

What is the destination country?  What are their laws?  

ETA: We live in Colombia.   I did bring back one or 2 boxes of stuff we bought in a Publix Supermarket in FL. I did not bring back several other things I would have liked to, because they were in glass jars and I was afraid they would break in checked luggage.

On one trip to the USA we brought some bags of Colombian Coffee.  I had to go through a special agricultural inspection in U.S. Customs for those.

Country is New Calendonia.  I don't know their laws but those are items that the host missionary requested so I'm assuming they wouldn't ask for them if they weren't allowed to be brought in.  I just am so unfamiliar with flying and keep hearing horror stories (even my husband just had trouble last week because they thought his laptop looked funny) that I'm trying to make sure we do things in a manner to cause the least amount of stress on my kiddo (who hates flying) to get through the airport.

• Like 1

My parents regularly bring us things from England. They even bring cheese. They say they always declare it on the customs form so that there is no question of them trying to hide it. They've always been fine. They used to bring bacon and sausages lol, but not anymore unfortunately.

• Like 2

No worries-- I packed at least 10 pkg of chocolate chips in my checked luggage on my last trip to Uganda, Africa and none melted along the way...  but they are also fine in carry on.

I don't see any worries about the Dream Whip either as long as it is in its original container/box. 

We just flew to/from the UK -- security was pretty cautious with DH's laptop and DD's camera... customs DID open my checked bag to check out the 'mysterious metal container' otherwise known as a Whirly Pop!  (we stayed in apartments and dd and I love popcorn for snacking at night-- we actually used it most nights!).  On the flight over I also brought several large containers of spices for middle dd who is in grad school there. 

As far as customs, as long as he does not bring (there or back) any fresh fruits or veggies (or ag products) he should be fine.

I've made many international trips-- most to third-world countries... customs has never been an issue.

If he has to change planes during his travels there/back then have him pack an extra change of clothes in his carry on-- just in case his checked baggage is delayed.  If he is bringing shampoo then pack it (and any other liquids) in zippy bags. 

• Like 2

Also I know nothing about going through customs.  Any words of advice I should pass on to DS?

They pass out a customs form on the plane prior to landing. Have him make sure he has a pen on him - black ink. Then, this form is viewed with his passport once he deplanes and goes through customs. The form is just a disclosure of who he is and what he is doing, what he is carrying if it is out of the ordinary (large sums of cash, agricultural stuff, etc.)

• Like 2

Also I know nothing about going through customs.  Any words of advice I should pass on to DS?

There are two processing stops inside the airport terminal building, after one arrives at an International destination. The first is Immigration. That is where they look at your Passport and the little form you have filled out on the airplane before you landed. If you have a Visa, the FINAL decision about whether or not to admit someone to a country is always made by the Immigration at the Port of Entry. Having a Visa is not a guarantee one will be admitted, but 99% of the people are admitted.  Probably close to 100%     If you do not have a Visa and are arriving as a "Tourist" (if a country permits that),  they would stamp a Tourist Visa onto a page in your passport.

I would doubt that your DS is going on a "Tourist" Visa and believe that could (or would) be considered Visa Fraud, depending upon the country involved.   

The best advice is NEVER lie to anyone in Immigration or in Customs. 

In Customs, where the checked luggage is taken,  he should be ready to open anything they want opened, as quickly as possible, and without being mad that they requested it.  Tell the truth if they ask any questions about what he paid for something or if they ask is he bringing anything in for someone.  

Be very alert when walking out of any baggage claim, in any country, to avoid becoming a victim of crime.

ETA:   Oh...  If the checked luggage does not have "TSA locks" it would be wise to leave it unlocked and to secure it with 2 luggage straps.  BTDT on 01 May 2016, leaving Orlando FL USA for Cali, Colombia. We flew nonstop from Orlando to Bogota and then a connecting flight to Cali.  When we got to the Baggage Claim in Cali, there was TSA tape holding my suitcase closed. It had been opened for inspection in Orlando. Fortunately it is an old suitcase. One of the 2 locks was destroyed, when TSA opened it. That happened after we checked in with our airline (Avianca) in Orlando which is where I checked the bag.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Jann in TX made an excellent suggestion and it doesn't only apply to passengers with connecting flights. He must never put anything critical in checked luggage. Critical items must be in his carry on. Clean underwear and socks there would be a good idea in case his luggage is delayed or lost

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful advice. Yes we planned to have a change of clothes and a copy of all his travel documents in the carry-on.

Is there a size limits on liquids for the checked baggage?  The trip isn't that long so I don't think he will need a full sized bottle of shampoo for instance but since he hasn't started packing, I'm sure he will discover something at the last minute that he forgot and we will have to improvise.

• Like 1

He can't take full size bottles of anything. You must look at TSA.gov and study the regulations. Carry on and checked are different I believe. Carry on is more strict. I had to toss a can of shaving cream in Orlando. On a domestic trip in Colombia my wife had a pair of scissors and that went into the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

We travel regularly internationally by plane (and bring goods).

No limit on liquids in CHECKED baggage--though, obviously, liquids are heavy. Do weigh your luggage to make sure your check-in is not too heavy--the airlines have been very strict these days....

For CARRY-ONS, all liquids must be in a container holding 100ml (approx. 3.5 oz) or less. (ie.,, you can't have a bigger bottle that is only half full--the container size matters, not just the amount of liquid).  And all carry-on "liquids" should be packed into one 1qt. ziplock and easily accessible for security screening.  Travel sizes are your friends.....

I would also suggest (I speak from experience) that most of the soft packaged goods (like chocolate chips, Crumbs, shredded coconut, dream whip) and all the liquids (incl. PB)  be placed in  Ziplocs---that way if the package bursts, the item is still salvageable.  We've had choc. chip bags burst, coffee can lids burst off, brown sugar bags rip.  Best to assume rough handling of luggage and, trust me, one small tear can lead to a huge mess.

Hope your son has a fabulous trip!

Edited by vmsurbat
  • Like 4

I would also suggest (I speak from experience) that most of the soft packaged goods (like chocolate chips, Crumbs, shredded coconut, dream whip) and all the liquids (incl. PB)  be placed in  Ziplocs---that way if the package bursts, the item is still salvageable.  We've had choc. chip bags burst, coffee can lids burst off, brown sugar bags rip.  Best to assume rough handling of luggage and, trust me, one small tear can lead to a huge mess.

Very Helpful!  I would not have thought bagging them would be necessary but I can see where that is a very good idea.

• Like 1