Menu

Mamas who put their little ones in elementary school after hs'ing...

If your experience was negative, please, seriously, do not share that experience with me.

I know that will lead to a biased post, but we are at a point where, because of my medical stuff, we need to place the youngest children in school for the year.

I am incredibly, incredibly sad about this and negative experiences will not help me be proactive and cope.

So, the youngest four (potentially five) are headed to school in the fall.

PreK3 (M-Th AM)
PreK4 (M-Th AM)
K
2nd
4th (potentially)

I am wondering what you wish or what you did do to prep them for this.

The PreK 3 is working on potty training and he is a friendly outgoing little boy.  PreK4 is super outgoing, very precocious, and she will run the class I am sure, lol.  K is reserved, shy, sweet, and most likely dyslexic and probably quite severe from what I judge from the kiddos I have that have been diagnosed.  She is actually a 1st grader but we don't want her to struggle this year.  The 2nd grader is working on reading, she is ADHD/hyper - we are getting the formal diagnosis for her before the school year starts.  She is incredibly bright and a *very* fast processor - reminds me of our oldest son.

We have been to the school.  They have been nothing short of wonderful - very supportive and understand our medical crisis.  I've met with the school counselor. The kids have had speech evals. It is a public school and a very small one at that.  The school's stats are very, very strong.  I will be going into the school, assuming I am mobile and can drive this year, to do OG reading with Ella (2nd grader) each day M-Th.  That has been approved by the principal.

What can we do to get them ready for the experience?  PreK4's teacher is coming for a home visit in August. PreK3's speech teacher is coming out to our house every two weeks to work with him.  Story time was suggested all summer to get them used to listening while NOT sitting on mama's lap, lol.

And then the 4th grader.  We are a bit up in the air.  Her closest playmate is the 2nd grader and she will be gone.  The other kids all will have classes at our homeschool group on Thursday and Friday.  She probably will not.   I am not eager to put her in school because she is a social little thing and if I do *not* get incredibly sick from Lyme meds and only have PLS (do not develop ALS) then we want to homeschool them as long as I am able and we will pull them back out after this year.  I think if she starts then she will be resistant to coming home.  On the other hand, we have a three year clock before I am cleared from ALS.  If I do develop ALS, then having started school in 4th grade would be so much easier than dealing with my illness AND starting school in middle school.

This is hard.  I do welcome thoughts and opinions on the 4th grader because we just keep volleying the choice over the net.  She is open to staying home if she takes science and Gym 'n Swim.  She is very open to going to school, riding the bus, etc.  She is neurotypical (no ADHD and no dyslexia) and extremely advanced academically so I do not foresee any hiccups there.  She is also very socially adept and an easy, happy kiddo. I think public school would love her and vice versa.  On the other hand, pulling her out would be hard on her so do we want to open that can 'o worms?

• Like 1

Hobbes went to school at 10 having been home educated.  The first term was a little difficult, because he wasn't used to the back and forth of conversation and play in a big group (he'd had more small group play and organised activities). He was picked on a bit by one girl, but we told the school and it was dealt with quickly.  He's been pretty happy with school overal.

There was an entrance test for the school so we just did a bit of test practice in advance.  He did fine.  The school had had home educated children join them before and even when there was a mismatch in background, they found that the HE children fitted into the academic requirements quickly.

This is going to sound crazy, but lunch line throws a lot of kids. If your kids are going to be buying lunch at school, or even just milk, take them to a fast food restaurant and let them order for themselves a few times. If they have had that experience, it really makes all the difference. I know it sounds stupid, and I know the school people will help them. But if it gives them a little more confidence, then all the better.

• Like 4

Kelly, 

I'm so thankful that you have such a good and understanding school near you for your kids.  It sounds like it will work really well.  Selfishly, I would probably want to keep the 4th grader home so I could enjoy homeschooling her while I missed the others.  More objectively, if she is accelerated in her academics, that might be a good reason for her to homeschool next year.  

I really admire how you are handling everything.  

:grouphug:

• Like 2

I think you should consider putting the 4th grader in with the others. If she is very social and her younger siblings all get to go that may be really hard for her, especially if the older siblings are all in a co-op she can't attend. You have so much on your plate and for right now, this year, it would probably make your life simpler. You already said she would thrive.

If you are able to homeschool them in the future there are lots of things you can do to smooth the transition back for her. She will be older and able to do the co-ops, more time for extracurriculars, promises to still keep in touch with public school friends. If the rest of the family is homeschooling she will probably get right on board and if not you can cross that bridge when you come to it. If you are not dealing with a bunch of medical issues at the time, one disgruntled tween will probably be an easy thing to deal with comparably!

I have never sent my kids to public school but I have had several homeschool friends who ended up putting them in and they have all been fine. A few families seem relieved and the kids are happy. They all made the right choice for their families. I know it's not what you wanted or dreamed about, but maybe it will all be a very positive experience. It sounds like the school is helpful, well rated and small and you can still remain involved- all ingredients for a successful year. I would put the 4th grader in with the rest and focus on yourself for a little while. Also since you don't really know what you are dealing with or how long your medical journey will be, I would much rather my child get adjusted to public school in 4th grade than closer to middle school.

• Like 3

It sounds like you have found a very supportive school - that's half the battle right there!  Expect some ups and downs, but overall, kids tend to adjust pretty quickly.  A new adventure!

On the fourth grader, I'd worry about getting sufficient challenge over the next two years - I'd explore whether the school will offer her math at her level.  As for middle school, on the one hand, middle school is a time when lots of kids come home.  On the other hand, the secondary school format usually means it's easier to get more advanced work.  I think I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

This is going to sound crazy, but lunch line throws a lot of kids. If your kids are going to be buying lunch at school, or even just milk, take them to a fast food restaurant and let them order for themselves a few times. If they have had that experience, it really makes all the difference. I know it sounds stupid, and I know the school people will help them. But if it gives them a little more confidence, then all the better.

When ds went to ps, lunch really threw him for a loop. He wanted to carry his lunchbox to lunch so didn't put it on the cart, but what he didn't understand that they wouldn't be in the classroom before lunch. Which then made him sad because he had to be taken back to the classroom...You get the picture. Find out how they handle lunch and then help prepare your kiddo.

Also, the amount of time for lunch may be way shorter and the other kids can be distracting. At the beginning of the year, ds often came home at the end of the day with most of his lunch uneaten. We had to coach him through so that he'd actually get lunch eaten at lunch time.

I found that it was the little things that tripped him up. The sorts of things that folks at school won't think about because they just already know it.

Storytime sounds like a good thing to do, although to be honest, most P3/4 kids will be new to the gig so your kids will be in good company. I wouldn't worry about them too much. Ditto the K child. Ds went to PS in 2nd grade after not having been in school before and adjusted fairly smoothly. If it were me, I would also put the 4th grader in because as a pp pointed out, I'd rather they had the chance to adjust in 4th grade instead of middle school.

• Like 2

I haven't been through the process myself, but I have a friend who homeschooled for a while, then put her kids back into PS around the same ages as your 4th & 2nd grader.   She was a bit surprised that the school asked for a list of curriculum that she had used while homeschooling (this particular friend mostly "unschooled" and wasn't prepared for the request), so you may get a similar request.

I would also practice or roll play things like raising your hand to ask or answer questions, writing your name on every paper, and eating lunch within a 30 minute window.   

You are very blessed to have what sounds like a great school for your kids.   Remember this is not a *forever* decision, and it really does sound like the best thing for your family for this year.  I agree with others who think that an adjustment to PS would be much easier at 4th grade than later in middle school. 

• Like 1

I am also sending my 4th and 5th graders to public school next year. I understand the emotional back and forth that you're going through. I think I would consider your 4th grader's personality. You said she would thrive...is she social? Extroverted? What does SHE want? I think I would put her in school if the answer to these questions is yes. I have a very extroverted 10 year old, and he beams when we even talk about school. I just know that he will thrive. If your daughter really wants to go, then she may grow resentful that her younger sibs are going but not her. Good luck to you-you have a lot on your plate and I applaud you for making the choice that's best for your family instead of feeling locked in the homeschooling cell. 

I am also putting my dd into 4th grade this year because I am worn out from teaching her and I am taking care of my disabled 18 year old son.  I have struggled and struggled with the decision because I have so many friends that have homeschooled with challenging medical problems (theirs and their children).  They have homeschooled despite hard pregnancies, job losses, and every hard issue you can imagine.  I have some who homeschooled despite the obvious toll it was taking on their marriage.  I know why they do it, but I'm really starting to question the wisdom with it.  Yes, their children did turn out OK academically, but some are behind a full grade or more due to the struggles.  So, I guess I'm applauding you for trusting that God can care for your children in a public school setting also. I'm applauding you for looking at your self and your health and considering your limitations.  A podcast you may want to listen to is this:  http://www.homeschoolingirl.com/episodes/episode-147-when-homeschoolers-judge

• Like 4

I started school in third grade after homeschooling the first few years, I really don't remember struggling with the transition.

I put my own 6 year old in kindergarten last year, he was old for the grade and I think that was the right decision for him. I'm planning to send him back for 11st grade this year (he is 7 now). He enjoyed school but did struggle a bit with having to go every day when his siblings were all at home.our district is liberal with allowing parents to excuse absences and he had quite a few.

With the youngers in pk, I think so much depends on the temperament of the child. My ds4 has done a half year of preschool for each of the past two years; the first program didn't work out well for him so I pulled him out. Last year's program was a better fit, he would often be resistant to leaving the house but happy to run into school once we arrived. We did end up pulling out mid year again, but it was because the driving schedule was wearing me out.

Edited by maize

To me for a 4th grader you can do what will work best for next year. If she were older I would worry more about her adjusting back to homeschool the following year. But for 4th grade I don't think kids are as aware and just think "okay this is what we're doing this year."

But my older son is a boy, so maybe for a girl that is happening earlier.

I think whatever you do with her it will work out. I think if she misses public school after a year, it will work out. I think if she starts public school in middle school it will work out.

Neither of those really says "decide based on either of these worst-case scenarios." I think they are drawbacks but not such drawbacks that I don't think you can do what makes most sense for next year.

And you can even adjust into the school year. Whatever is happening on the first day of school can be adjusted.

You will still have 4-5 kids (all older) at home, some of whom are dyslexic? I would place the 4th grader.  She will want the social contact, it will help her transition if she continues on to middle school by helping her develop both the support of friends and by developing a "reputation" as being a bright kid, and it's a safe place for her to be.  If it's not an academic fit, she can always afterschool in math.

We are placing our youngers in school this year, and I will continue on with our boys.  We have been working on toileting completely independently (my 4yo struggles with a few outfits + the occasional wiping), and on helping to pack school lunches and snacks themselves.  Having met their similarly aged school-going peers, I'm not concerned about behaviors or managing social relationships.  We've tried to set up life to flow easily with laundry, getting everyone's hair done, dealing with backpacks, etc.  My fingers don't always work well in the morning (I have RA), so I'm trying to teach my 8yo how to do my 4yo's hair. Lice seems to be an issue occasionally at school according to my friends (it's a darling school in a nice neighborhood....but....), and it seems that putting mousse in the hair and putting things in braids or ponytails helps.

• Like 1

I'd have them practice lining up quietly immediately. If you've been able to let them finish things up before moving to the next thing, they may find that a little difficult at first, to work on someone else's schedule.

I second the suggestion to have them practice ordering lunch. My kids haven't been to school, but they can get a bit thrown with ordering or paying.

Oh, and since your children have beautiful classic names, get the younger ones used to writing their names with their last initial. One year at co-op,out of about forty kids, there were about five boys with the same classic Biblical name.

Also, teach them not to share hats or hairbrushes ever. My mother was terrified of lice in my thick, very long hair, and she laid down the law about sharing head accessories. I'm 40, have had long hair for about 37 of those years, and have never once had lice.

Mostly, I'd say to find a place to keep backpacks, shoes, gym clothes, etc. and develop a system for checking for papers and such. I'm sorry you're in this situation, but it sounds like the school is going to be wonderful to them.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

I have seen so many friends make the transition recently including a family who lost their sweet mother to cancer. All of the children have transitioned wonderfully and thrived. The fact that you have a small, supportive school will make all the difference in the world. Your kids will thrive, and you will have the support you need to focus on the older kids and your health. 

Personally, I would put the 4th grader in as well. I agree with pp that it would be hard to be the only younger kid at home. I would want to make a single, smooth transition for all of the younger children at once.

• Like 1

I put my kids in 1st and 3rd in public school after school started. The transition was hard for a few weeks because of differences in ability (and what the school teaches va what we focused on). Within 2 months is was fine and my kids were caught up by the end of the year abs really loved the school experience. They're going back this fall.

The one thing my kids needs were more writing practice because they write a lot in school and I was more concerned with reading. Some math was a struggle but mostly because of different terms and needing to write explanations.

I stressed over the transition more than I needed to. I wish I hadn't.

• Like 1

My social butterfly would be depressed, even clinically if her brother went to school and she did not.

I definitely think the 4th grader needs to go. imagine if you were her. How would you feel? I'm sure that your concerns about her future self not wanting to come back home are valid. However what you have before you is her current reality, not a future possibility. You must go with current reality, which would be a very left behind feeling little girl.

The school sounds great. I went to several small schools and absolutely loved them as a child. I pray your kids transition will be great.

Story time is a great idea for the younger ones! :)

Another thing homeschooled kids tend to do a lot is interrupt everyone all.the.time.

I would just work generally on not interrupting one another and especially not you/dad/adults :)

• Like 1

If I could have done things differently I would have sent ds with a notebook/planner from day one for homework assignments. We tried some variations of this. I have a feeling your 4th grader will do fine, though.

Find out how the meal plan stuff works if they will ever eat in a cafeteria. The school allowed parents to order in advance or not. Sometimes ds would order junk we didn't want him to (like I don't know, just fries and a drink lol). I never did the meal prep but we did have a discussion about ordering a main dish or whatever. The school expected us to pack a snack each day and sometimes that threw me off because I was not used to that. We left snack or lunch at home a few times by mistake.

For me personally I needed to ask things like, "do you have enough notebook paper? Enough sharpened pencils?" because things would disappear or he'd run out and tell me after he'd been borrowing paper from classmates for a couple days. So just keep on top of that stuff lol.

• Like 1

I don't really have advice, but I just wanted to say that your kids will be fine at PS!  Honestly, elementary school is the easiest age to transition to PS.  For those starting out after kindergarten, they'll probably get extra special attention from the other kids since they're "new" and everyone will want to be their friend.  And, I believe you're in Iowa and maybe a smaller town?  In any event, we're in the Midwest too just north of you, and smaller Midwestern towns couldn't be more welcoming to kids.  If it would be helpful to have your 4th grader there too, I'd send her!  It sounds like she'd do great there.

• Like 1

Your babies are going to be fine! I would begin the IEP process on your dyslexics and not wait for the system on that. They can have intervention at home AND school. Do they have OG? You still want accommodations.

If you put them all in, they can ride the bus together.

• Like 2

I think the 4th grader should go, but I would make sure she knows that the parents make the decisions about school. That even if she likes school, you may homeschool again in the future.

It sounds like you have a great school. If school works better than homeschool for your family now, that's ok. Children learn the most important things by watching their parents, however they get their academics.

Edited by abacus2
  • Like 2

I would send the 4th-grader to school. It's the best choice for now, which is all you can realistically worry about. I think it would be tough for her to be stuck in the middle, without the excitement of starting school or going to co-op. Plus the 2nd-grader will be making and talking about new friends, making it all the harder for big sis to lose her as a daytime playmate. 

Kids do fine in all kinds of situation - homeschool, public school, private school. You're making a smart decision to send them. 

• Like 1

No experience, but I think you are making the right choice in a hard situation.  I think I would send the 4th grader and tell them that in the future you may home school again. 

I think it will be a good transition at that time for them. 

Thinking about you and sending prayers your way.  

I am also sending my 4th and 5th graders to public school next year. I understand the emotional back and forth that you're going through. I think I would consider your 4th grader's personality. You said she would thrive...is she social? Extroverted? What does SHE want? I think I would put her in school if the answer to these questions is yes. I have a very extroverted 10 year old, and he beams when we even talk about school. I just know that he will thrive. If your daughter really wants to go, then she may grow resentful that her younger sibs are going but not her. Good luck to you-you have a lot on your plate and I applaud you for making the choice that's best for your family instead of feeling locked in the homeschooling cell. 

She is social, happy, outgoing, playful.  She has a great personality to do well in a social environment where being academic & social is a boon.  She is such a sweet pea.  I  think one of my fears is that she will adjust a little too well.  We have found (in our family) it is more important to guard the SOCIAL kids from too much peer interaction than the less social kids.  Because social kids CRAVE the interaction they can get more dependent on it and be less likely to rub against the grain for their own hobbies, interests, or beliefs.  Blah, blah, blah, not sure it matters what we think anymore.  

I started school in third grade after homeschooling the first few years, I really don't remember struggling with the transition.

I put my own 6 year old in kindergarten last year, he was old for the grade and I think that was the right decision for him. I'm planning to send him back for 11st grade this year (he is 7 now). He enjoyed school but did struggle a bit with having to go every day when his siblings were all at home.our district is liberal with allowing parents to excuse absences and he had quite a few.

With the youngers in pk, I think so much depends on the temperament of the child. My ds4 has done a half year of preschool for each of the past two years; the first program didn't work out well for him so I pulled him out. Last year's program was a better fit, he would often be resistant to leaving the house but happy to run into school once we arrived. We did end up pulling out mid year again, but it was because the driving schedule was wearing me out.

This is actually the one area that would improve for me.  Liz will get her license before long and she can drive her two sisters.  Right now I can drive, I just have to use both feet because the right foot doesn't like to switch to the brake.  And when I lose that I, ideally, should still be able to drive using hand controls for a little longer depending how fast this progresses.  But driving here for homeschooling is a little rough.  We choose to have them take a couple classes and that generally means driving two days a week.  It will be tricky next year with school but DH works not far from where they take classes and can drop them off and then I can pick them up after kiddos get back from school. :)

You will still have 4-5 kids (all older) at home, some of whom are dyslexic? I would place the 4th grader.  She will want the social contact, it will help her transition if she continues on to middle school by helping her develop both the support of friends and by developing a "reputation" as being a bright kid, and it's a safe place for her to be.  If it's not an academic fit, she can always afterschool in math.

We are placing our youngers in school this year, and I will continue on with our boys.  We have been working on toileting completely independently (my 4yo struggles with a few outfits + the occasional wiping), and on helping to pack school lunches and snacks themselves.  Having met their similarly aged school-going peers, I'm not concerned about behaviors or managing social relationships.  We've tried to set up life to flow easily with laundry, getting everyone's hair done, dealing with backpacks, etc.  My fingers don't always work well in the morning (I have RA), so I'm trying to teach my 8yo how to do my 4yo's hair. Lice seems to be an issue occasionally at school according to my friends (it's a darling school in a nice neighborhood....but....), and it seems that putting mousse in the hair and putting things in braids or ponytails helps.

So  the ones at home are 15yo dd (dyslexic but mostly remediated and academically successful), 13yodd (not dyslexic, incredibly academic), 12yods (lots of struggles, remediating), 10yodd (mildly dyslexic but very academic and a successful reader & in math.) 

I have a dear friend who walked all of this a few years ago (she also has severe RA) and all of her kiddos are in school now.  Thank goodness for only two girls with long hair. ;)  Right now my arms work really well so no issues there.  My dh, in the day, did do Ana's (oldest) hair once in a while so I think he could figure it out again, lol.  I am blessed with girls who would totally pitch in where needed.    It is *so* funny that you mention lice. I live in absolute DREAD of it and it is actually a reason I *really* don't want them in school.  A lot of the girls have THICK hair and I cannot fathom what it would be like here with eight girls with lice! Oh the horror! Can you imagine?!?!

I'd have them practice lining up quietly immediately. If you've been able to let them finish things up before moving to the next thing, they may find that a little difficult at first, to work on someone else's schedule.

I second the suggestion to have them practice ordering lunch. My kids haven't been to school, but they can get a bit thrown with ordering or paying.

Oh, and since your children have beautiful classic names, get the younger ones used to writing their names with their last initial. One year at co-op,out of about forty kids, there were about five boys with the same classic Biblical name.

Also, teach them not to share hats or hairbrushes ever. My mother was terrified of lice in my thick, very long hair, and she laid down the law about sharing head accessories. I'm 40, have had long hair for about 37 of those years, and have never once had lice.

Mostly, I'd say to find a place to keep backpacks, shoes, gym clothes, etc. and develop a system for checking for papers and such. I'm sorry you're in this situation, but it sounds like the school is going to be wonderful to them.

These are actually really great practical tips that I did NOT think about.  We have a big mudroom here with pegs that my FIL made.  But I also have a coat room (you know, like a funeral home, lol) in our front entry.  I think it would be a GREAT idea to put a shoe holder in there, hang up hooks, and label them ahead of time.  Thanks for that!

We *will* have that talk about lice and we will practice the name with the initial.  I was one of those kiddos all through elementary and never crossed my mind for the girls.  Olivia has a TERRIBLY common name these days.  Will they insist the girls write their full names?  Daniella is SO much longer than Ella. :D 

My social butterfly would be depressed, even clinically if her brother went to school and she did not.

I definitely think the 4th grader needs to go. imagine if you were her. How would you feel? I'm sure that your concerns about her future self not wanting to come back home are valid. However what you have before you is her current reality, not a future possibility. You must go with current reality, which would be a very left behind feeling little girl.

The school sounds great. I went to several small schools and absolutely loved them as a child. I pray your kids transition will be great.

Story time is a great idea for the younger ones! :)

Another thing homeschooled kids tend to do a lot is interrupt everyone all.the.time.

I would just work generally on not interrupting one another and especially not you/dad/adults :)

LOL on the interrupting.  We have La's ADHD appointment set up already - does that count for anything?  You know, so when the teacher says, "I have been teaching for 129 years and I have NEVER met a child like this child.  She needs meds," then we're all set.

I don't really have advice, but I just wanted to say that your kids will be fine at PS!  Honestly, elementary school is the easiest age to transition to PS.  For those starting out after kindergarten, they'll probably get extra special attention from the other kids since they're "new" and everyone will want to be their friend.  And, I believe you're in Iowa and maybe a smaller town?  In any event, we're in the Midwest too just north of you, and smaller Midwestern towns couldn't be more welcoming to kids.  If it would be helpful to have your 4th grader there too, I'd send her!  It sounds like she'd do great there.

Yup - we're close then because we're in NE Iowa. ;)  You know, this would be SO much easier if I didn't love homeschooling.  Yup, that.

Your babies are going to be fine! I would begin the IEP process on your dyslexics and not wait for the system on that. They can have intervention at home AND school. Do they have OG? You still want accommodations.

If you put them all in, they can ride the bus together.

So - and this is pretty cool, because we dual enroll and homeschool through our AMAZING homeschool program (public) and because they are SO supportive, we actually already went through the 504 process there.  So my two kiddos who I *know* will need to have 504s and IEPs already have the 504 done to follow them.  Now, lol, granted neither of them are headed to school, but still, for testing and future, this kind of cements my advocacy instead of me needing a voice to advocate.  I can say that only one of the kiddos that will be in school will need a 504/IEP.  The others are so mild and already reading well.  AND, better yet, the primary principal has already agreed that I can be my daughter's resource reading teacher.  As long as I am able I get to come in and teach the little girls for reading when they go to their reading class.  They are pulled out of the classroom for that so it won't make them different or make anything weird for them and we are only about a mile plus from the school. ;)

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 6

I still think they sound so kind, so understanding to want to work with you. :) you must come across as kind and respectful, as well. :)

Or just sad, lol, I really did actually bawl through most of the meeting with that principal.   Um, pretty sure either way I was memorable.  Sigh.

• Like 1

I sent 3 last year and they loved it. I did zero prep and all was well. They figured it all out. I even had a kid who didn't like using pencils and look who can write pages in pencil now! The teachers were all wonderful and everyone loved school. Seriously, I keep waiting for my bubble to be burst, but this school rocks my world. I'm so incredibly glad we went the public school route. ZERO regrets. Such a relief for me.

The only prep I wish had done was some simple social stuff for my socially clueless kid. He kept unintentally flaunting his smarts and the other kids didn't appreciate that. I wish I had taught him how to either keep his mouth shut or correct other people more respectfully.

• Like 1

Your 4th grader will be fine; cross the coming back home bridge when you come to it.

Don't worry too much about lice.  We have had them (as a HSing family!) several times, because the kids' closest cousin has a chronic case that I think is passed around their neighborhood.  Every other time DD spends the night there, she comes back with lice.

Getting rid of them is not hard.  We use a lice comb I bought on Amazon for $10 or so, and with which I plan to be buried, like the Egyptians.  I love that thing.  Comb through hair twice a day for a week, done.  If the infestation is bad the first time, blow dry for a long time to kill nits you miss with the comb.  DD12 can do her own hair now.

• Like 1

Not elem. school but my 7th grader (this past year) went to  school for the first time.

Everyone says middle school is the hardest to jump in to school but he had the most wonderful experience and LOVES it.  He has made friends very easily and we have been very pleased with his choices in friends.

This is our local public school.

My middle went to public school for the first time in 10th grade and has had a positive experience as well.

Oldest didn't go to school until community college.  That is public school, right?  He is having a good experience as well.

We *will* have that talk about lice and we will practice the name with the initial.  I was one of those kiddos all through elementary and never crossed my mind for the girls.  Olivia has a TERRIBLY common name these days.  Will they insist the girls write their full names?  Daniella is SO much longer than Ella. :D

;)

My Theodore has gone by Theo his whole school career. He just finished 4th grade.  He knows his whole name is Theodore and has to use that in certain circumstances (official tests) but for his everyday papers? He's just Theo.

A friend of mine had to start working and even though she had unschooled her children, she put them in public school where they are thriving. She hates that they are there because she's pretty much opposed to all forced learning, but they are happy to go and be around friends. :) I'm sorry I can't answer your questions more specifically, but I thought another good anecdote might be helpful.

I've related this story before but when my oldest went to eighth grade for the first time, she was unable to learn how to use a lock for her locker for most of the year. Even when the science teacher showed her. Middle went to public school in eighth grade as well and heard a lot of "You all know this from previous years so..." and she didn't obviously know from previous years. :) But she had a wonderful year and plans to stay in public school through high school.

I appreciate this thread as I wrestle with the decision to put mine in school this fall. None of mine want to go, but they don't want to work at home either.

To the OP: I think you are a wonderful Mama to be doing what is best for your kiddos even though it hurts, and it is hard. They will thrive because you have prepared them so well with the obvious love you have for them. 

Edited by Paradox5

My family is big on hugs and kisses, and I didn't think about the school setting. My pre-K 4 daughter chased all the boys to give them kisses on the cheek. On the other hand, I didn't hear about it until much later, so I guess there were no issues, lol.

My kids did attend school at these ages( my oldest did all but grade 4, dd did PreK4) and had a fantastic time. I don't think you teach these ages unless you love kids! Our experience was very positive . The teachers were kind and made the day fun. My kids couldn't wait to tell me all about it. If they serve a snack, that was always my first question. That was the most important thing for my kids.

Lining up and keeping hands to self is pretty big, but all kids need work on this. Maybe not to throw blocks or play clothes even if you are not aiming for a person..no target practice. No throwing water from the water table or sand up in the air to see where it goes. I think the teacher always does explain all ot these things though. There may be bells or announcements that are a little loud( It helps to know this for some kids). They may only check out one book at the school library , not 10:).

Is it a full day for your K? Tell your kids the hours, and what to expect. My son thought he was coming home when it got dark because it was all day school. Oops.

Easy to open containers are super helpful if not having hot lunch. They will need practice.

I would pray and go with that answer is for the forth grader. You probably have a

first inclination /gut feeling about what to do.

I don't know if this will help or not. But I would say that lots of successful, happy, close families here rotate between public school and homeschool. So I have seen lots of wonderful families who have kids in school and love it ,some who homeschool and love it, and others who do bothand also love it. Lots of families do options 1,2,or/and 3 at the same time.Whatever you do with His leading will be a great thing! A friend of mine reminded me recently how very stressful it is to plan out big spans of time. All you need to do is figure out this year. It sounds like you have! It will be great!

Edited by Silver Brook