Menu

Middle School Literature

Sooooo.....what are y'all doing for Middle School lit?  LOL!  

Typically, I choose 2-3 novels for the year (one for the fall semester, a short one for Christmas, and one for the Spring semester).  We read the novel, discuss, and I try and tie in discussions on literary elements, etc.  

I would like something a bit more formal.  What's out there?  6th grade for this year, but feel free to recommend higher grade level material.  

• Like 1

I like the blog, Classical House of Learning Literature. It ties to the four year history cycle. It is a lot more novels a year than that though, like 15 or 16. We general do 3 or 4 of them as read alouds, and dd reads through the others on her own, and we still didn't finish the list this year, lol. But I like the book lists and order and we occasionally do some of the projects it gives. 

• Like 1

We do what you do, Sweetpea - 2-4ish books per year that we read together and discuss, but I often use the Glencoe Lit Guides for the books, which lends an air of formality without buying anything. Also, we do one short story per month that we read, mark up, and discuss at a poetry tea.

If I had to use something, I'd probably use Mosdos.

• Like 5

I like the blog, Classical House of Learning Literature. It ties to the four year history cycle. It is a lot more novels a year than that though, like 15 or 16. We general do 3 or 4 of them as read alouds, and dd reads through the others on her own, and we still didn't finish the list this year, lol. But I like the book lists and order and we occasionally do some of the projects it gives. 

Can you post a link?  I couldn't find anything other than ads when I searched for Classic House of Learning Literature.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Following...

Our schedule seems so, so full. I'm trying to scooch in a lot study by focusing on short stories, inspired by Farrar and Lori D. I found a bunch of short stories and I'm matching then up with pages from Figuratively Speaking. So once a month or so we will all read a story and focus on a particular literary term.

I often fail at this kind of occasional project, but during planning season, when all things are possible and go according to schedule, it seems like a good idea.

I'm also balancing a fast, easy reader and a more selective reader.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 4

We just discuss as we go. I use suggested lit titles from WTM and use the analysis discussion questions. Occasionally I'll have her turn those questions into an essay - depending on how much other writing she's doing. Simple.

I had forgotten about CHOLL! Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 2

We read...a lot.  For middle grades we did:

1 - Literature Anthology daily. 30-minute classes. Various genres and styles read in class and discussed with an occasional project, paper, and/or quiz. Units centered around skills and used for testing. Each of the 7-9 units a year ended with a week-long writing project with a capstone research paper for 2+ weeks.

2 - Novel Study - each 9 week quarter had an MP or other guide book assigned 2x a week and a test at the end. Usually not the MP one because IMHO they are waaaay too detailed. So 4 of those a year.

3 - Independent Reading - I used their reading level and Accelerated Reading goals for 30 minutes daily that they reach by reading and discussing with me their books. Otherwise, they wouldn't pick up a book at all. Sigh. I incentivise these goals by awarding ever biggest/taller trophies for increasing points earned year by year. I also give 1/2 credit for books read under their level to simply encourage reading. 

4 - Read Alouds.  For 1 hour daily, I read a fiction read aloud. It could be for fun, a classic, tie in with social studies or current events. Sometimes I'll read the entire novel that was an excerpt in their literature anthology. A nice mix of 30-40 titles over the course of the year. No tests, papers, or anything, just a good discussion is all that is needed.  I also read 1-3 nonfiction titles a week as well that pertains to content classes.

• Like 4

Lori, thanks for these links.

Would you have any suggestions on an overall "arc" for the next few years?  I just need a general idea of what needs to be covered, and when.  

I have composition, vocab, and grammar covered.  It's mostly literature that I need that general outline.  

• Like 1

Lori, thanks for these links.

Would you have any suggestions on an overall "arc" for the next few years?  I just need a general idea of what needs to be covered, and when.  

I have composition, vocab, and grammar covered.  It's mostly literature that I need that general outline.  

Do you mean an outline of what programs fit with what grades?

Or an outline of specific books for specific grades?

Or an outline of teaching literature arc of literary elements/literature topics?

• Like 1

WTM is what you want! There are booklists per grade and specific literature questions to use.

You could use any booklists for ideas really, Ambleside online, sonlight...

These two workshops from swb are very helpful:

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/what-is-literary-analysis-when-why-and-how-should-i-teach-it-mp3/

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-middle-grades-mp3/

• Like 9

WTM is what you want! There are booklists per grade and specific literature questions to use.

You could use any booklists for ideas really, Ambleside online, sonlight...

These two workshops from swb are very helpful:

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/what-is-literary-analysis-when-why-and-how-should-i-teach-it-mp3/

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-middle-grades-mp3/

Thanks for sharing these!  

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing these!

You're welcome! I have listened to these literally dozens of times. SWB is so down to earth and practically helpful. Listening to her talks really helps me to get my head around WTM!

• Like 3

Thank you so much for posting this! I can't believe how much I've gained over the years from the generosity of people on these boards. Thank you!

• Like 4

We will be doing Mosdos along with reading and analyzing about six or seven novels from different genres. DS also will have an independent (fiction) reading book going and I read aloud to him about every other night year-round.

He loves reading nonfiction and reluctantly reads fiction. As a result, he is somewhat "behind" where I would like to see him regarding reading and analyzing literature and poetry as a rising 8th grader. We take our time and the instruction is thorough.

• Like 1

I teach middle school literature at a hybrid school in Atlanta. I have included vocabulary that focuses on roots and prefixes/suffixes.  We meet for 32 weeks a year.

We are completing an interactive notebook on literary devices - one a week that I purchases on Teachers Pay Teachers. 

We are reading and discussing: 

The Wind in the Willows

Anne of Green Gables

Hamlet (Middle School version)

Kidnapped

Robin Hood

Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

• Like 4

I teach middle school literature at a hybrid school in Atlanta. I have included vocabulary that focuses on roots and prefixes/suffixes. We meet for 32 weeks a year.

We are completing an interactive notebook on literary devices - one a week that I purchases on Teachers Pay Teachers.

We are reading and discussing:

The Wind in the Willows

Anne of Green Gables

Hamlet (Middle School version)

Kidnapped

Robin Hood

Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Can you link the interactive notebook you use? I'm always attracted to these. Do your students use composition notebooks for them?

Thanks

• Like 2

We're using Mensa's Excellence in Reading program lists, but before I let DS have at a new list (we're currently on the list for grades 4-6), I go through and select a few that we'll use for literature and/or history purposes. The rest he reads on his own (I also read them if I haven't already), and we discuss them only as fun stories. If he really gets into one that I didn't pick, I give him the option of doing more and getting credit for it.

• Like 1

I tried to to my own thing for 6th, and though a lot of reading of good books got done a lot of discussing and learning of academic skills did not. For 7th grade I've ordered Mosdos Press Jade. Since I haven't yet used it I can't speak to its effectiveness but I'm really hoping it's good in practice. I know it has gotten a lot of good reviews on here.

• Like 1

We do what you do, Sweetpea - 2-4ish books per year that we read together and discuss, but I often use the Glencoe Lit Guides for the books, which lends an air of formality without buying anything. Also, we do one short story per month that we read, mark up, and discuss at a poetry tea.

If I had to use something, I'd probably use Mosdos.

Really, Farrar? Wow, you just made my day! I thought for it to be "real" middle school literature we'd need to be reading and discussing 10-12 books per year, which seems like so much. This is such happy news!

I love the short story to discuss each month.

Emily

• Like 3

Really, Farrar? Wow, you just made my day! I thought for it to be "real" middle school literature we'd need to be reading and discussing 10-12 books per year, which seems like so much. This is such happy news!

Emily

I LOVE using short stories and essays in middle school - especially in 7th and 8th.  We read at least one of each a week.  For those in 7th and 8th, Patterns for College Writing and Writing with a Thesis are perfect conversation starters for essays.  No need to answer all questions, or have writing assignments from those books - just read and discuss, using the questions as a guide.  Lori's lists for short stories are amazing. You can search for free pdfs and, many times, if you add the word "questions" or "analysis", you will come across some wonderful teachers who provide them on their websites.

I agree with Farrar - only a couple of in-depth books a year.  Otherwise, let them read great books and they'll be a-ok!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 2

We had a few other hits in middle school.  MCT's Writing of Literature.  It REALLY opened up dd's eyes to certain books.  She and I loved it.  In addition, she loved Great Courses Plus.  Dorsey Armstrong's Analysis and Critique, Great Utopian and Dystopia Works in in Literature, Heroes and Legends, How to Read and Understand Shakespeare.  She also loved every single linguistics course.  

Poetry is also a fabulous way of beginning lit analysis (you can start with Mensa).  

If you do The Hobbit, be sure to listen to The Tolkien Professor.  Michael Drout is also great for other lit and language courses. 

Oh - dd also enjoyed How to Read a Book like a Professor.

Just some more ideas to keep in the back of your mind for later.

OP, I have no outline/no arc that I followed.  I just knew which stories and books I wanted to cover - and it always changed according to her interests and schedule - and we just continued on with each day.  But, that's just the way I roll!

DD will be a freshman this year, so things will be a bit more structured with more output.  She would like to do a sci fi/dystopian unit for lit.  And maybe a women's lit course.  I did that for one of my other dds and it was fabulous.  

• Like 1

Emily

Well, we still read aloud, do audiobooks, have required free reading time, read across the curriculum... And we do poetry teas. But, yes. I think a small number of books is plenty to delve into and pick apart for middle school kids. Even for high school, I don't think racing your way through classic literature is necessary or even desirable.

• Like 3

Well, we still read aloud, do audiobooks, have required free reading time, read across the curriculum... And we do poetry teas. But, yes. I think a small number of books is plenty to delve into and pick apart for middle school kids. Even for high school, I don't think racing your way through classic literature is necessary or even desirable.

Yeah, we're reading a lot, too, but I've seen curricula that have you studying a book every month or so and I've looked at SWB's list of what to read for the year. I guess I assumed it had to be torn to pieces to count. :-) So I guess you can see what my impression of school literature study was. This brings so much relief. We do discuss and focus in depth on a few books each year and I was assuming I had to bring it up to 10-12 this year. This is great!

Emily

• Like 1

I think I selected 6-7 novels for DS to analyze over the course of the year (from various genres). DS also will have an independent book to read alongside but I have seen those long lists for middle school literature analysis and always end up feeling somewhat "inadequate" that my DS will not be reading/analyzing  6-7 books per semester instead over the entire year <sigh>.  I think I am doing the right thing for my son, but it's nice to hear from others that they also think less can be more especially in Middle School : )

I like to do a semester of short stories at some point. I teach the story telling arc and annotation along with that.  I found a really nice collection on TPT a couple years ago:  Short Story Unit Plan.

My favorites for lit are Lightning Literature and Memoria Press. 

That's a great idea to do a short story semester and I LOVE the Plan you linked to on TPT.  Thanks for that resource idea!

-Lauren

In 5th and 6th we just read and discussed good books. Loads of them. (We are a lit heavy family.)

In 7th-8th we added more formal lit elements with Figuratively Speaking. We were still mostly reading and discussing, but we were adding more formal programs. Sort of. Kiddo #1 did ancient history based lit in 7th and a homegrown Annotated Hobbit study in 8th (chased rabbit trails, read whole versions of Tolkien's inspirations, etc). #2 did Where the Brook and River Meet (modified) based on Anne of Green Gables in 7th. In 8th we did the Hobbit study with variations. #3 did geography ties for 7th and Build Your Library 8 for 8th. BYL had zip for formal lit study, it was more reading the books the scheduled and lit discussions with Mom. #4 immersed herself in Shakespeare for 7th. She read retellings, actual plays, acted, watched movies, studied the man himself and his times, and so on. I interjected some lit terms, motifs, etc occasionally. For her 8th grade and #3's 9th grade we're going to do Literary Lessons From the Lord of the Rings together, tying in extra reading like Iliad, Beowulf, King Arthur, and such. They're reading through Hobbit more casually this summer and I'm cherry picking some of that deeper Hobbit study to play with.

This mostly just read and discuss method has so far produced two teenagers who absolutely thrived in Great Books literature in high school. They list Homer and Austen in their favorite authors. The next two down are STEM geeks with a healthy appreciation for good literature. (Don't get them started on what Peter Jackson did to the Hobbit....)

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

For 6th and 7th I just have a series of books she needs to read.  I choose those based on our history program.  Sonlight usually is my go to source for picking books.  For 8th grade I started with doing 4 literature guides for the year with some additional assigned reading.  We did Midsummer's Night Dream, Little Women, Tom Sawyer and the Chosen.  I use a variety of literature guides but I think Novel Units and Memoria Press are my favorites. 

I'll have a 5th and 7th grader next year.

We are going to use Mosdos (Pearl and Jade) for our base, then do a few novels throughout the year.  I don't know how many we'll actually do a deep discussion on.  I bought one lit unit for A Wrinkle In Time from Moving Beyond the Page to check out.  The novels we do, we will probably do together since both kids can handle the books I'm planning on.  The kids will also read a lot of books just to read them, with no deep discussion.