What's with the ads?

Photo

Has anyone been watching "Born This Way" on A&E?

6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

It's a true series about a group of young adults with Down Syndrome as they navigate life. http://www.aetv.com/...0170622002650:s

I watched last night's episode with interest as it was about sexuality and my (non-DS) son is now 14yo. The guest therapist who addressed the group was Terri Couwenhoven, author of "The Girls' Guide to Growing Up" and "The Boys' Guide to Growing Up" which I have recommended here before. http://terricouwenhoven.com/

Anyway, I was laughing so hard at the poor young lady whose mom convinced her that penises have gluten so she should stay away from them. The gal told Terri Couwenhoven that she was allergic to penises. That probably wasn't the best way to handle it, but kudos to the mom for her creativity! 😂

Edited by Kinsa, 23 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.

• Heathermomster likes this

#2 Paige

Paige

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

I haven't watched it, but I have the series set to record. I've been wanting to preview it myself sometime to see if it would be good for everyone to watch. Would your 11yo like it?

• Kinsa likes this

#3 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9686 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I haven't watched it, but I have the series set to record. I've been wanting to preview it myself sometime to see if it would be good for everyone to watch. Would your 11yo like it?

Unless there's a superhero in it, my 11yo son would find it incredibly boring. Lol
  • Heathermomster likes this

#4 coastalfam

coastalfam

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Oh my goodness, whenever I try to watch that show I realize just how not ready I am for my son to become a teen (right around the corner)/adult. I love the families and especially the young men and women with Down syndrome in the show, but I can't watch it regularly yet. My friend told me about the gluten-penis thing, and I will be totally honest... my very first reaction was, "That mom is a genius!" LOL So thankful my son's therapist has offered to help us navigate sex-ed with him. Ahhhh!

• Kinsa likes this

#5 Mainer

Mainer

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

I'm a fan! I just watched that episode. Terri Couwenhoven is amazing! 

I also follow a blog called A Typical Son:  www.atypicalson.com.  It's written by a mom of a now-ten-year-old son with Down syndrome. She also just came out with a book. She writes a lot about all the difficult things they had to endure with public schools in Maine until they finally decided to homeschool. I highly recommend it!

• Kinsa and coastalfam like this

#6 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22492 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Unless there's a superhero in it, my 11yo son would find it incredibly boring. Lol

Just be aware there is quite a bit of sex talk in several episodes.

#7 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32492 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

One of my cousins is one of the people on the show.  I have watched a few episodes but keep forgetting to record it.  My mom watches it.  She never misses an episode.  I agree, A for creativity.  I know these can be challenging waters to navigate.  Not sure I would have gone that route (no I know I wouldn't have) but I do think she was very creative.  :)