Menu

Grade 5 and 6 Logic Science

Hello. I am trying to plan my logic science plan for grades 5 and 6. We are a Charlotte Mason/Classical Type homeschoolers. I am following TWTM plan for science. With my older children this is what I used for them based on the 2nd edition TWTM:

Grade 5 - Human Body/ Animals

• How the Body Works
  • How Nature Works

Grade 6 - Astronomy/Earth Science

• How The Universe Works
  • How the Earth Works

I found these books okay but the real difficulty was the experiments. I use NOEO Level 3 Chemistry and Physics for Grades 7 and 8.  What I need help with is what other science curriculums can I use to replace Grade 5 and 6. I would like a complete curriculum like the NOEO ones (if I can find one) that have the books and experiments and plan all wrapped up into one. I am thinking about the NOEO LEVEL 2 Biology curriculum (http://www.logospressonline.com/noeo)  which would be good, but then I don't know what to do for Grade 6 astronomy and earth science. What would you suggest? I don't have TWTM 4th edition so I don't know what Susan Bauer suggests. :( Perhaps I have to get the 4th edition. 

For grades 1-4, I am using Dr. Wile's elementary science curriculum (5 books) here: https://www.bereanbuilders.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=ELEM

I know a person can use his curriculum for grades 1-6 and then go into his Apologia Science curriculum, but we are not doing that. Could I still use his elementary science curriculum until grade 6 nevertheless and just continue with NOEO course in grade 7 and 8? Would this curriculum cover grades 5 and 6 topics enough?

Or do you have a better idea?

Edited by Caralee

I do think that you could use Wile's curriculum and be well-prepared for 7th grade science, but have only used it for my younger child so don't have BTDT experience at the upper level. 

Have you looked at Elemental Science for Logic Stage earth & astronomy?  It's recommended in the 4th edition, with the other formal curriculum alternative being Great Science Adventures paper models & books: Discovering Earth's Landforms and Surface Features, Discovering the Ocean, and The World of Space. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

I do think that you could use Wile's curriculum and be well-prepared for 7th grade science, but have only used it for my younger child so don't have BTDT experience at the upper level. 

Have you looked at Elemental Science for Logic Stage earth & astronomy?  It's recommended in the 4th edition, with the other formal curriculum alternative being Great Science Adventures paper models & books: Discovering Earth's Landforms and Surface Features, Discovering the Ocean, and The World of Space. 

Thank you for responding Serendipitous Journey! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. 

I have looked at that curriculum, but not indepth. I will look at the other recommendation too. 

I thought that Wile's curriculum would be good, but each book covers all the various topics of the 4 year science cycle as outlined in TWTM, and I did not want to cover Chemistry or Physics until grade 7 and 8. I am looking to have more in depth learning/ experiment learning in grade 5-6 like I have with the NOEO courses. 

• Like 1

Okay!  Then I imagine you've looked into the Pandia Real Science Odyssey level 2 bio?  but there may be worldview issues. 

I myself am using Novare's middle school Earth Science text but not worrying too much about experiments.  I do have the teacher resource CD that goes with it, which includes topo maps for use with the program and other teaching helps.  I find the teaching plan onerous (designed for a class) so at the moment we are reading, taking notes on vocab and review questions, and discussing/studying.  It is spendy for a book but not for a whole program, I think. 

good luck! 

ETA: a different option would be to use Easy Classical's guides.  They don't have equipment included but, if I recall correctly, come with excellent lists &c. 

There's not anything else quite like NOEO! 

ETA #2: looking at samples, the Easy Classical are probably too simple after Wile. 

ETA #3: okay, I'll stop now, but there is the BJU Life Science (for 7th) and  BJU Earth Science (for 8th)  sets.  That's at a higher level and is not consistent with my own worldview, but might possibly suit; and there's a lab kit available for earth and some support materials for life. 

Edited by serendipitous journey

• 2 weeks later...