Menu

I Cannot Buy Clothes

Ginevra

I hate shopping for myself. My go to stores are Dress Barn, TJ Maxx and JCP.

I only go to Dress Barn when I have a specific event, but they are always very helpful and give honest opinions when I'm trying on, so I never end up with something that I hate when I get home. Their clothes hold up very well and they have a good selection of casual and dressy. JCP has enough selection that I can usually find a few things (was very impressed with their swimwear selection this year, got several new suits!)  TJ Maxx is hit and miss, but cheap enough that I am willing to try something trendy or fun. 

Good luck! It's a constant battle for me as well. 

• Like 1

Whenever we go back to visit my parents, kids beg me to go to that mall. I have no idea why. They also love the library.

I used to really really like Columbia, but now you can't spit without hitting a house or a store.

BTW, if you ever want to chit chat via PM - let me know - it's so fun for me to find someone on this board from that area :)

ETA: did you try Talbot or JJ Jill for clothes. I saw some OK things there. Don't know the prices, though

I often find things I like at Talbots; the large majority of clothes I have bought from a physical store have been from Talbots. On this particular ocassion, I went into Talbots, but near the end of my shopping and I didn't look that carefully because I was annoyed by that time. They are usually expensive, even at sale prices, but I generally can accept it if I like the item a lot because they fit very well and they last a long time. I do get Talbots mailers and sale items, so I might order a thing or two.

I intended to go to The Limited, because they also often have things that suit me, but they have Limited closed right now. (?) i'm not sure if they are gone forever or refurbing or they merged or what.

J.Jill - I want to like their things but they don't seem to have the small size I need. I don't think they cater to my size so much. Talbots is better in that respect.

I just actually finished shopping for and purchasing a whole new "wardrobe" as I had no maternity clothes left after five kids- not even one thing. I also needed shoes too. Obviously I had to shop at maternity retailers but I did all my shopping online. Could you do something like that? I also did this last year when I needed a few tops (non-maternity) for summer. I waited until the online places have major sales and then I did my shopping. And I shop at places that have free returns- either by mail or store. Then I can order what I think will be nice, try it on in the comfort of my home without five kids, and return what doesn't work. It is glorious. I wait until places have their sale items 40-50% off and then I can find nice items for reasonable prices (like $20 for a good quality top). Obviously, these are not thrift store prices but our thrift store are hopeless here. So, last year I purchased three Ann Taylor tops for about $20 each and they still look brand new this year (except I can't wear them because I am pregnant so they will be nice for next year). I also started doing a "capsule wardrobe" a few years ago before it became a "thing" and that has helped too. I chose five colors (two neutrals, three accent) that I like and work well for me and twice a year (Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer- basically hot and cold clothes) I evaluate my wardrobe and see what I have and what I need (if anything). Then when I do go shopping, whether online or not, I know exactly what I am looking for. I try to buy the best quality I can but I am still on a budget. That is why I try and shop the sales. For my maternity capsule I had to buy everything so I purchased two dresses, three tops, two jeans, and two camisoles. Everything looks so pretty and fits wonderfully and will last me the rest of pregnancy and for a couple months of postpartum.

Here are the online places that have free returns by mail:

Nordstroms

Amazon

Ann Taylor

Garnet Hill

Gap

Banana Republic

Here are some places that have free returns in store:

TJ Maxx

Talbots

Macy's

DSW

For more expensive items, try finding an item or brand you love and checking on eBay for a much cheaper price. I bought really nice, super expensive purse and boots for a fraction of the price this way.

Finally, I just discovered a really nice consignment store called Style Encore. I don't know if you have that around you but the prices were really reasonable and the clothes were really nice- mostly all good quality and brand name. They didn't have much in my size when I went and had no maternity but they had a lot of nice things and I will definitely try them out again next time I need something.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

If you want some guidance on how to make that work, you might want to check out Jennifer Scott's YouTube channel.  She tries to stick to a 10 core item wardrobe, buys fewer pieces, higher quality, and puts aprons on to do housework without ruining her clothes.  She also recommends a few higher-end brands where one item will last more than 5 years in some of her older videos.  You might love the philosophy, find some different brands, and not feel so bad about the money.

I love her site too and always find her to be inspiring.

• Like 1

I grew up there, but I haven't been back since my parents retired to Florida 11 years ago. I loved that mall. I remember when the library was built. PM me if you want to chat.

Whenever we go back to visit my parents, kids beg me to go to that mall. I have no idea why. They also love the library.

I used to really really like Columbia, but now you can't spit without hitting a house or a store.

BTW, if you ever want to chit chat via PM - let me know - it's so fun for me to find someone on this board from that area :)

ETA: did you try Talbot or JJ Jill for clothes. I saw some OK things there. Don't know the prices, though

• Like 1

You are not alone!  I find shopping for in-between dressy and casual clothes the hardest.  I find that they tend to be more expensive than my business clothes, too trendy, are poorly made, etc. 

Trying to find something with sleeves has been difficult over the past few years.  Now I don't get this trend of cut-out shoulders either.  The places I have had the most luck recently are Talbots and Eddie Bauer (especially their outlet stores).

So I went into a Chico's a few weeks ago.  I had never gone before.  The saleslady was, well, a typical chatty saleslady.  But, annoyance aside, she said something interesting.  The "cold shoulders" look is the current answer from designers who are wanting to provide a way for more women to bare some skin and feel svelte by baring a "pretty part."  It totally makes sense, when you think about it:

Many women of a certain age don't care to bare their décolletage, they don't care for showing their saggy upper arms (she had a derogatory name for that), and baring their midriff would be out of the question.

The "cold shoulders"  tops do nothing for me, but in a pretty style, a halter neckline or cut-narrower-at-the-shoulders style can be very flattering.

For the OP, I was *very* pleased with shopping online for pretty tops from Macy's.  Their Alfani brand was a good value for dressy tops.  And I found some nice Charter Club and Style Co. items.  (I did the purchase online and returned things in store.)  Also, FWIW, Dress Barn has some really cute tops right now.  I've also really enjoyed Talbot Outlet, if you have one near you, for bright colorful cardigans and warmth layers for the office -- at clearance prices!  :-)

• Like 1

Pay the money. Odds are it will live on in your wardrobe for a decade or more.  I own many fewer pieces of clothing than I used to, but what I own is much higher quality.

I agree.

I like linen t-shirts in the summer. I've bought them from Ann Taylor (on sale), Everlane, and Pure Collection (heavily on sale).

The Everlane and Pure ones are thicker, SO much softer and comfortable, and have washed well. I can dress them up or wear them casually.

The Ann Taylor ones are thinner, scratchier, and worst of all they have shrunk and are basically unwearable now. I used to think Ann Taylor was quality, and quality is relative, but I'd rather buy a tee for 35-40 on sale and have it last for years than spend $15-$20 on a sale tee that won't last.

• Like 1

Every project will bring you greater experience. Decent fabric, finished seams...you'll probably end up with something that is higher quality than off the rack.

Maybe buy a top or two and then find a classic pattern you like and sew one or two. You can compare your project with your purchased garment.

Oops, how quickly we forget! I did make a simple shirt out of double gauze recently since I wanted the experience of stitching that wonderfully soft fabric. Basic pattern, nothing fancy. That is all I need for summer.

BTW, where do you get fabric that is not JoAnne's?

I buy a lot at a Goodwill because it's cost effective. If I need something nice and need to try it on first, I'll go to Kohl's; they have a nice selection of clothing and styles. Or, I'll find what I like on Amazon, and buy a few sizes. Then just use their free return policy for the ones that don't fit.

• Like 1

They only charge you the styling fee (which during promotions you can get free) when they send the box. Then you decide what to keep and tell them on your online account. Everything else you don't want you put in a prepaid envelope and drop it at the post office. The styling fee (at least when I last used it) is credited towards your purchases of you buy even one item. If you buy all five items you get like 20% off everything I think? In the box is an itemized list of cost per item and a sheet of paper, as well as cost if you buy it all and get the 20% off. So even if you send it all back- worst case you're out $20. And if you've previously bought and get a horrible box and email their customer service a What The HecK? email, they'll even refund that. It's a low risk venture.

ETA- they only charge your account after you make the selections, or I assume if you fail to send the pieces back in the allotted timeframe.

Okay. So, I scheduled a Stitch Fix. It is due to arrive July 5th. We shall see what happens!

• Like 2

G Street Fabrics in Rockville.

Oh! I had forgotten about G Street! The last time I went there was in 1993, when I was planning my wedding. My mother made all my bridesmaid's dresses.

• Like 1

I despise clothes shopping! I don't like to spend a lot and I'm picky. I went to 5 stores to find a dress with no luck.

I tried Stitch Fix, but I couldn't justify the prices. $50 for a blouse I just can't do. Then it was frustrating to lose the $20 styling fee because I didn't buy anything.

I finally gave in and tried online shopping with Amazon, but I only chose items that offered free returns. Then I read reviews about sizing, ordered two sizes of the same items and returned the ones I didn't like or didn't fit. It was like my own stitch fix without the styling fee! And guess what, I found lots of clothes I liked at reasonable prices!

And now Amazon is starting Amazon Fashion for prime members. Order up to 15 items with no charge, return the ones you don't want, and you're only charged for the ones you keep. No need to check your credit card bill to make sure the refund was processed. And you get a discount, too, if you keep a certain number. Game changer for me!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/business/amazon-shopping-retail-fashion.html?referer=android-app://com.google.android.gm

• Like 1

I despise clothes shopping! I don't like to spend a lot and I'm picky. I went to 5 stores to find a dress with no luck.

I tried Stitch Fix, but I couldn't justify the prices. $50 for a blouse I just can't do. Then it was frustrating to lose the $20 styling fee because I didn't buy anything.

I finally gave in and tried online shopping with Amazon, but I only chose items that offered free returns. Then I read reviews about sizing, ordered two sizes of the same items and returned the ones I didn't like or didn't fit. It was like my own stitch fix without the styling fee! And guess what, I found lots of clothes I liked at reasonable prices!

And now Amazon is starting Amazon Fashion for prime members. Order up to 15 items with no charge, return the ones you don't want, and you're only charged for the ones you keep. No need to check your credit card bill to make sure the refund was processed. And you get a discount, too, if you keep a certain number. Game changer for me!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/business/amazon-shopping-retail-fashion.html?referer=android-app://com.google.android.gm

Thanks for this tip! I've been comtemplating Stitch Fix but really need to be budget-conscious.

• Like 1

Seriously! This sounds like a great concept for me!