Menu

I Cannot Buy Clothes

Ginevra

WHAT is my actual problem? I even went to the "fancy" mall because there are a lot of women's clothing stores here (yes, here; I am sitting in the parking lot, letting my car get cool) and the anchor stores have a huge selection. My mission: 1) get a dress to wear to the wedding; 2) get a few nice, summery tops that would hit that middle ground between being dressy and being too casual. Something you could wear to a party or a resturant.

I did manage to buy a dress for the wedding, although I'm keeping the receipt; I'm not convinced. It's a nice dress, but it's not all I could ever hope for.

But tops? No. When I would find a top I did like, it was $50-75. For ONE LITTLE TOP! I can't accept that. It's too crazy. So I would go in the little be-bop stores that have cheaper clothes. But there isn't a top in the store that has shoulders. I mean, am I asking too much that I want my shirts to have fabric on the shoulder? Sometimes, there are shirts with shoulders, but I guess those are for when you want everyone to look at your bra, because they are see-through. Even at Anne Taylor, there were some tops that were otherwise cute, but made as though they are threadbare.

I didn't buy a single top. And I went into a lot of stores. And now I'm just a little depressed about the whole thing.

P.S. I even looked at the chic Goodwill near the fancy mall and struck out there, too. 😔

P.S.S. On top of it all, the dress I bought was made in Vietnam and that always makes me convulse with guilt, certain that my dress was made by a 10-year-old girl who earned 15 cents.

• Like 6

Do you have JCPenney? I've found some items there that are a bit more dressy and not overally expensive. I know non-sleeveless blouses are harder to find. I've been going with the sleeveless and doing a open type cardigan. 

If you have Marshalls/TJMaxx, they generally have a nice selection of short and long sleeve blouses. 

• Like 4

It sounds like you are not a huge shopper and do not shop often.  If that is so, then maybe spending a little more on a top that you really do like and that will actually last through washings would be worthwhile. Just a thought!  Don't underestimate what it is worth to feel nice in your clothes. :)

• Like 4

WHAT is my actual problem? I even went to the "fancy" mall because there are a lot of women's clothing stores here (yes, here; I am sitting in the parking lot, letting my car get cool) and the anchor stores have a huge selection. My mission: 1) get a dress to wear to the wedding; 2) get a few nice, summery tops that would hit that middle ground between being dressy and being too casual. Something you could wear to a party or a resturant.

I did manage to buy a dress for the wedding, although I'm keeping the receipt; I'm not convinced. It's a nice dress, but it's not all I could ever hope for.

But tops? No. When I would find a top I did like, it was $50-75. For ONE LITTLE TOP! I can't accept that. It's too crazy. So I would go in the little be-bop stores that have cheaper clothes. But there isn't a top in the store that has shoulders. I mean, am I asking too much that I want my shirts to have fabric on the shoulder? Sometimes, there are shirts with shoulders, but I guess those are for when you want everyone to look at your bra, because they are see-through. Even at Anne Taylor, there were some tops that were otherwise cute, but made as though they are threadbare.

I didn't buy a single top. And I went into a lot of stores. And now I'm just a little depressed about the whole thing.

P.S. I even looked at the chic Goodwill near the fancy mall and struck out there, too. 😔

P.S.S. On top of it all, the dress I bought was made in Vietnam and that always makes me convulse with guilt, certain that my dress was made by a 10-year-old girl who earned 15 cents.

I have given up on malls long ago. It helps that I am not a naturally enthusiastic shopper either...check out Zulily, LL Bean or J.Jill.

The latter is rather expensive, the others have quite a bit of price range.

All my LL Bean tops have shoulders....:lol:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

I hear you, Danielle.

My strategy is to buy a few quality pieces as the season dictates.  To be honest, I have not purchased anything for summer other than a pair of sandals.  I did buy a small stack of nice fabric--not cheap JoAnn stuff.  Today I was working on a basic cotton "camp shirt"--short sleeve, collared.  I also plan on stitching a v-necked t-shirt with darts--something that fits properly. And I hope that the knit dress I plan to stitch for a late July wedding will turn out.  If not, I too will be making the rounds of the stores.

I too am trying to avoid those items made by people who earn slave wages.  This is tough.

• Like 1

I have given up on malls long ago. It helps that I am not a naturally enthusiastic shopper either...check out Zulily, LL Bean or J.Jill.

The latter is rather expensive, the others have quite a bit of price range.

All my LL Bean tops have shoulders.... :lol:

We're twins!!!! :) My only addition is the Lucky Store. They actually have decent tunic style tops that don't make my bOOks look like the prow of a battleship coming at you and then end up super baggy in the back. But I can still find those on sale!! 

I have this problem, too.  However I just stay away from fancy places and events, so I don't need anything other than jersey knit in various styles.  :D

I hate spending $$$$ on clothes.  I hate looking for clothes.  I hate trying clothes on.  Ugh.

• Like 4

You are not alone!  I find shopping for in-between dressy and casual clothes the hardest.  I find that they tend to be more expensive than my business clothes, too trendy, are poorly made, etc. 

Trying to find something with sleeves has been difficult over the past few years.  Now I don't get this trend of cut-out shoulders either.  The places I have had the most luck recently are Talbots and Eddie Bauer (especially their outlet stores).

• Like 1

I failed too. Went to Nordstrom Rack, tried on 5 summer dresses, hated the way I looked in ALL of them, bought a purse, and left. I vowed never to shop while having PMS again.

Which one is the fancy mall? Maybe I should try that one :-/

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

I hear you, Danielle.

My strategy is to buy a few quality pieces as the season dictates. To be honest, I have not purchased anything for summer other than a pair of sandals. I did buy a small stack of nice fabric--not cheap JoAnn stuff. Today I was working on a basic cotton "camp shirt"--short sleeve, collared. I also plan on stitching a v-necked t-shirt with darts--something that fits properly. And I hope that the knit dress I plan to stitch for a late July wedding will turn out. If not, I too will be making the rounds of the stores.

I too am trying to avoid those items made by people who earn slave wages. This is tough.

Funny you mention fabric, because that was where my head was going. I was starting to give serious consideration to sewing myself a few tops. And that is really saying something, because, though I can sew, I do not enjoy it. I don't get pleasure from sewing clothes and I find tailoring afult clothing somewhat difficult. I made a lot of dresses when DD was little because they generally don't need any tailoring.

I failed too. Went to Nordstrom Rack, tried on 5 summer dresses, hated the way I looked in ALL of them, bought a purse, and left. I vowed never to shop while having PMS again.

Which one is the fancy mall? Maybe I should try that one :-/

Oh, I'm sure you know. Columbia Town Center. As opposed to the non-fancy mall I go to more often, which is Francis Scott Key in Frederick.

I should mention I made one purchase that fit perfectly: chocolates from Wockenfuss. ðŸ˜

• Like 6

Do you have a marshall's near you. I have found several nice tops there under$20. Marshall's has become my new favorite store to buy clothes.

I do. I may give it a whirl when I'm in that vicinity again.

FWIW, my actual problem is that I am so particular about color, material, and style that there is very little in the stores that suits me. When I find it, I snap it up.

I do think this is a lot of my problem: my criteria is too extensive. I am uber picky. I am not trendy. And I'm not the most available size. And I don't want to spend $500 buying five things. I want my things to last and last and last. I don't do "fast fashion" - buy it this year, next year it is out of style.

I also just plain don't like shuffling hangers around, trying things on, or walking all over the mall. I have been known to buy something without trying it on simply because I can't face trying it on. But then I have had to return things that I would not have had to do had I just tried it on.

• Like 5

Oh, I'm sure you know. Columbia Town Center. As opposed to the non-fancy mall I go to more often, which is Francis Scott Key in Frederick.

I should mention I made one purchase that fit perfectly: chocolates from Wockenfuss. ðŸ˜

Ugh, I thought you knew of some magical secret mall. Last time I went there for clothes I ended up sitting on the patio at Starbucks without entering a single clothing store.

If you want comfy stuff that looks cute but feels like pajamas, check out Shimmy Sista boutique on red branch road.

• Like 2

I've had really good luck with Nick and Zoe tops from Nordstrom, and if they don't work out Nordstrom has the best return policies around.

I have one that I bought 6 years ago and wore with jeans, shorts, and suits 1-2 X weekly during the warmer 8 months of the year for 5 years before it started to pill just a bit.  Now I still wear it but only with jeans.  It's a floaty but not see through sleeveless print, and I just love it.  WEP.

Re. the dress?  I can't help you.  The current styles are weird.

• Like 1

Right there with you. I just cannot bring myself to pay more than $5 or $10 for a top--which means I do most of my clothes shopping at thrift stores and resale shops. An unexpected benefit is that I've found I'm much less picky shopping that way. I've ended up with a much more varied (and dare I say stylish) wardrobe. I don't obsess over things being perfect if they cost $2, you know? And it has the whole reduce/reuse/recycle benefit, too.

Usually the only things I buy new are shoes (I just can't bring myself to buy used ones), underthings, socks, and handmade skirts from online sellers.

ETA: I am not a stalker, but by perusing this thread I figured out your general area. It looks like you have a Clothes Mentor (an upscale resale shop) in your city. Maybe you'd find something there! I bought a dress for a wedding there once for about $15. 

ETA again: Oh, it looks like it's not open yet. Boo. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

When I struggle with finding items, I like to shop at stores like  TJ Maxx or Marshalls.  The thing I like is that it isn't separated by brand.  All the ladies summer shirts are together, tank tops are together, sweaters are together.  I can cover the entire store in 30 minutes which would have taken hours at the mall. 

I also like Nordstrom Rack in the store or online.  They are separated a little bit more, but still sooooo much easier to find items in stead of looking through massive stores. 

• Like 1

Funny you mention fabric, because that was where my head was going. I was starting to give serious consideration to sewing myself a few tops. And that is really saying something, because, though I can sew, I do not enjoy it. I don't get pleasure from sewing clothes and I find tailoring afult clothing somewhat difficult. I made a lot of dresses when DD was little because they generally don't need any tailoring.

Every project will bring you greater experience. Decent fabric, finished seams...you'll probably end up with something that is higher quality than off the rack. 

Maybe buy a top or two and then find a classic pattern you like and sew one or two. You can compare your project with your purchased garment.

Oops, how quickly we forget!  I did make a simple shirt out of double gauze recently since I wanted the experience of stitching that wonderfully soft fabric. Basic pattern, nothing fancy.  That is all I need for summer.

• Like 1

We're twins!!!! :) My only addition is the Lucky Store. They actually have decent tunic style tops that don't make my bOOks look like the prow of a battleship coming at you and then end up super baggy in the back. But I can still find those on sale!! 

The only "Lucky Store" I know of used to be a grocery chain that has gone out of business or sold to others. Is there a website for your Lucky Store?  :)  I am always willing to add to my list of decent clothing options.

• Like 1

I HATE clothes shopping too.  I am on the very upper end of the misses/lower end plus size....and often things are too big in one area and too tight in another, etc.

I actually found 2 really cute tops at WALMART of all places yesterday.  I wore one to a nicer mom's night out thing last night and got lots of compliments (from people who pay way more than Walmart prices).   I try the local thrift stores and the higher end consignment store but my size is just hard to fit.

Another place I have found nice stuff is Cato.  It is NOT super high quality, etc. but that is one store where things tend to fit me better.

• Like 2

The only "Lucky Store" I know of used to be a grocery chain that has gone out of business or sold to others. Is there a website for your Lucky Store?  :)  I am always willing to add to my list of decent clothing options.

Here it is: http://www.luckybrand.com/women/clothing/shirts/blouses-tops

I haven't bought from them in a few months. Apparently their summer collection is suffering the same missing shoulders as Quill has found. Perhaps there is hope for fall. Usually they have some really nice peasant tops and tunics that look nice- I like that you don't need to be 25 to wear everything they sell.  They usually have nice embroidery on them too and better detail that I find other places. I usually try to pop into their store front once a  year or so as they have different selections in store than online. They do sales all the time too. Amazon carries a lot of their tops as well, but they can be high. Always compare between the website and Amazon if you see anything, because usually with a sale, Lucky directly is cheaper. 

ETA: I used to love their jeans because they were one of the few places that sold 36" inseam, but they stopped that last year and I've been devastated. They have the BEST jeans. So soft and comfy. 

Edited by texasmom33

Eshakti............. prices are very reasonable. For an extra $10, you put in your height and other measurements. They adjust it to suit you. You can even change necklines and sleeves. Overall length. Just $10 extra, no matter how many modifications you make.

• Like 5

I do think this is a lot of my problem: my criteria is too extensive. I am uber picky. I am not trendy. And I'm not the most available size. And I don't want to spend $500 buying five things. I want my things to last and last and last. I don't do "fast fashion" - buy it this year, next year it is out of style.

I also just plain don't like shuffling hangers around, trying things on, or walking all over the mall. I have been known to buy something without trying it on simply because I can't face trying it on. But then I have had to return things that I would not have had to do had I just tried it on.

My problem has always been that my taste is too good. I find something I like, look at the price tag and - forget $50, that's a bargain around here! - it's triple what I was looking to pay, at least. 

Champagne tastes on a beer budget, and all that.

I would honestly buy the $50 tops. If you get two or three seasons wear out of them, the price per year is reasonable. 

Also, the money is worth not having to go shopping again. Clothes shopping is the worst!

Yes, champagne tastes on a beer budget. I shopped for boots 3 years because I couldn't find anything I liked in my budget, that was after years of shopping at Goodwill!

I love some of the dresses at eShakti and Title 9 for more casual stuff (I'm just too cheap to buy any of them, maybe some day!).

• Like 3

StitchFix? I have friends who look cute and hate shopping and swear by it. Amazon has a new version.

I sorta considered it for a few minutes. I can't see that really working well for me, but I haven't looked into it that thoroughly. I don't shop for clothes very often because I just hate it so much, so I'm not sure what would happen if I tried Stitch Fix and left off asking for clothes for a year at a time. It also bugs me a bit that you tell them your budget and they pick things to fit that budget, because really, my budget is "as low as it can be while still being what I want." I will pay more for something if it is exactly what I want and I am confident it will last.

• Like 2

OK, if I were buying a summer top right now, this is the one I would get:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoe-palm-lines-tank-regular-petite/4538614?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MULTI

And I would wear for years.  It's not really in style or out of style, and it has actual shoulders, and it isn't see through, and it looks nice and fluttery cool.  

Because I can buy cheap knit t's in quantity and never wear them.  But this I would dress up and dress down and probably wear at least twice a week for a long, long time.  White jacket, black skirt.  Black suit.  Blue jeans.  Woven blazer, black pants.  Cut offs.  Flowy linen skirt.  This sucker goes with EVERYTHING.

• Like 2

I sorta considered it for a few minutes. I can't see that really working well for me, but I haven't looked into it that thoroughly. I don't shop for clothes very often because I just hate it so much, so I'm not sure what would happen if I tried Stitch Fix and left off asking for clothes for a year at a time. It also bugs me a bit that you tell them your budget and they pick things to fit that budget, because really, my budget is "as low as it can be while still being what I want." I will pay more for something if it is exactly what I want and I am confident it will last.

When they get it right, StitchFix can be really fun. Those boxes are great to look forward to! And their customer service is excellent. I do think it's hit or miss though, especially if you're hard to fit. When I used them I didn't even try to get pants through them. No one seemed to understand that I really wasn't joking that I had a 36" inseam. They kept sending these little regular length pants. Finally I changed it to specify NO PANTS, so all five pieces were sweaters, or tops, or what have you. I wish you could pick a stylist and stick with them, but the stylist is probably a computer. Sometimes they were spot on, other times it was like they didn't even open the right profile and everything went back. 

I say it's worth a shot, maybe not for the wedding, but just to have some clothes to look forward too. I think I did 3 or 4 boxes and I'm not opposed to doing it again. The main thing I found myself doing (and why I stopped ordering them) was that I was getting so excited over new stuff I would keep jackets and everything, even if it wasn't practical- but it made me feel good while I tried it on, and I kept it. Even though it wasn't something I would actually have much occasion to wear. lAnd I'd forget that it rarely gets cold enough to need a jacket, much less a heavy sweater here. SO now I have three SF jackets hanging in my closet that I will probably never, ever wear. But if you can honestly answer whether or not you will actually wear the pieces they send you, and be diligent about sending back what isn't practical, you can add some nice pieces to spice up a wardrobe. 

Ugh.  I hate shopping all day with no success.  

Once I figured out the fabrics and styles I gravitate toward, online shopping became my new best friend.  Even the shipping costs are worth it, since I'm not wasting an afternoon searching around town with very few options to pick from.   I'm willing to pay extra for something that I love and that lasts;  if I don't love it, I don't bother buying it at all, so I have a tiny wardrobe (which is good as I also have a tiny 1950's closet).

Homeschooling is a boost because at home I pretty much live in yoga pants anyway.  Jeans and tops are for my ventures outside the house.   :laugh:

• Like 1

When they get it right, StitchFix can be really fun. Those boxes are great to look forward to! And their customer service is excellent. I do think it's hit or miss though, especially if you're hard to fit. When I used them I didn't even try to get pants through them. No one seemed to understand that I really wasn't joking that I had a 36" inseam. They kept sending these little regular length pants. Finally I changed it to specify NO PANTS, so all five pieces were sweaters, or tops, or what have you. I wish you could pick a stylist and stick with them, but the stylist is probably a computer. Sometimes they were spot on, other times it was like they didn't even open the right profile and everything went back.

I say it's worth a shot, maybe not for the wedding, but just to have some clothes to look forward too. I think I did 3 or 4 boxes and I'm not opposed to doing it again. The main thing I found myself doing (and why I stopped ordering them) was that I was getting so excited over new stuff I would keep jackets and everything, even if it wasn't practical- but it made me feel good while I tried it on, and I kept it. Even though it wasn't something I would actually have much occasion to wear. lAnd I'd forget that it rarely gets cold enough to need a jacket, much less a heavy sweater here. SO now I have three SF jackets hanging in my closet that I will probably never, ever wear. But if you can honestly answer whether or not you will actually wear the pieces they send you, and be diligent about sending back what isn't practical, you can add some nice pieces to spice up a wardrobe.

What happens when you send things back? Do they hold a credit for you to use later?

Eshakti............. prices are very reasonable. For an extra $10, you put in your height and other measurements. They adjust it to suit you. You can even change necklines and sleeves. Overall length. Just $10 extra, no matter how many modifications you make.

I've ordered 5 dresses and a pair of trousers from them so far. I've been totally delighted each time.

• Like 3

Oh, such fond memories of there! When my son was born he haaaated to stay home. He would cry and cry. But if I took him out, he was happy. But it was always too hot, too cold, or too polleny to be outside for too long. I used to head to Columbia or Arundel Mills every single day and walk around those malls carrying him, just for relief from the crying.

It wasn't good for my budget, though, hanging out at the mall every day. But I did create a bunch of happy memories of hanging out with my little son when he was a baby.

• Like 1

Oh, such fond memories of there! When my son was born he haaaated to stay home. He would cry and cry. But if I took him out, he was happy. But it was always too hot, too cold, or too polleny to be outside for too long. I used to head to Columbia or Arundel Mills every single day and walk around those malls carrying him, just for relief from the crying.

It wasn't good for my budget, though, hanging out at the mall every day. But I did create a bunch of happy memories of hanging out with my little son when he was a baby.

A friend of mine, who is a runner, told me that when her oldest kids were babies, Columbia Mall used to host after-hours running through the mall. She said it was her little sanity-saver; put the babies to bed and then go run through the mall. It didn't matter what the weather was doing and her hubby could handle the kids if they woke unexpectedly. 😊

• Like 1

What happens when you send things back? Do they hold a credit for you to use later?

They only charge you the styling fee (which during promotions you can get free) when they send the box. Then you decide what to keep and tell them on your online account. Everything else you don't want you put in a prepaid envelope and drop it at the post office. The styling fee (at least when I last used it) is credited towards your purchases of you buy even one item. If you buy all five items you get like 20% off everything I think? In the box is an itemized list of cost per item and a sheet of paper, as well as cost if you buy it all and get the 20% off. So even if you send it all back- worst case you're out $20. And if you've previously bought and get a horrible box and email their customer service a What The HecK? email, they'll even refund that. It's a low risk venture.

ETA- they only charge your account after you make the selections, or I assume if you fail to send the pieces back in the allotted timeframe.

Edited by texasmom33

I have a uniform. I bought a bunch of skirts from Goodwill, plus some new ones from Target. Then I bought a bunch of fitted tshirts to go with them from Target. I have two light jackets that I can wear over the tshirts if I'm in a/c. I wear it all with sandals, but you could dress it up or down with different shoes.

I'm pretty happy with my summer uniform and it fits everything I do in life. I can clean in them because they're casual (and were cheap, so if they get messed up, oh well.). I can go out in them. It's perfect. I wear slips that are like shorts--they are slip material, but are like lose shorts. If the wind blows, I don't have to worry about showing off my undies.

The skirts are easy to buy at Goodwill, because shirts don't get stretched out like pants might, or get stains on the underarms like shirts might. They tend to hold up well as most people only wear skirts once in a while.

If you don't like Goodwill, you can try buying new skirts and pairing them with tshirts and dressing up the tshirts with long necklaces or something.

Of course, you don't have to dress like I do, but my point is that finding a uniform can make things much easier. And if it involves tshirts, that can save you a bunch of frustration. I finally went this way (skirts and tshirts) because I couldn't find anything that wasn't see through or sleeveless, both fashion choices I particularly dislike. I was forced to figure out something else.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I haven't shopped for new clothes in a looooong time - ever since I became a fat.  But it's so fun to see so many people on here who are familiar with Columbia Mall.  I lived there for a long time and worked right next to it as well.  I used to love going to that mall, but with all new development, it's so so crowded now :(

• Like 1

I have to take someone with me when I go shopping or the same thing happens to me. I go in, I try things on, I walk out because I don't want to spend that much money. I mean, it's not like you can go naked, right? So you're kinda gonna have to buy something. Find the person who can do that for you, give them the money, and go shopping.

Unless your plan is to join the local nudist colony after all and then, meh, save the money.

I like LOFT and they seem to have sales and coupon codes pretty often judging by my email inbox. I still have to take my dh with me in there, tho. This way I not only buy clothes, but they're in the size I actually am and not the larger size my brain says I am.

You have my sympathies. I hate clothes shopping.

• Like 1

I haven't shopped for new clothes in a looooong time - ever since I became a fat. But it's so fun to see so many people on here who are familiar with Columbia Mall. I lived there for a long time and worked right next to it as well. I used to love going to that mall, but with all new development, it's so so crowded now :(

It is so busy now. I go there infrequently now. On weekend, it can be tough to even find parking and they now have Valet parking near the movie theater.

A funny little aside: whenever I have taken the kids to the movies, we go to cheap theaters. Little divey theaters. But recently, DS17 went with his gf to that movie theater. He said later, "I don't know *what* kind of theaters we have been going to, but that theater is TOP SHELF!" 😀

• Like 2

This is me too! I can't stand the actual shopping part and I want stuff to last. I could have written your original post and this one too. It's so frustrating, I just want clothes that I can wear for years that don't cost a bajiliion dollars. I have spent the past few days online trying to find decent clothes that will last at a decent price. Haven't found anything yet.

• Like 1

I'm so bad at shopping that I just wear the same stuff over and over for decades.  :P  I am too hard to please.

In your shoes, I'd look up a couple shirts like the $75 that you liked, but on eBay, and order them online.  If it's good quality, it will stand up and look good even second-hand.

• Like 1

I try not to shop for summer clothes until after July 4th. That is when the mall anchor stores start putting them on clearance to make way for the fall clothes.

Shop for winter clothes right after January 1st.

At least in our area (Texas). 

• Like 3

It is so busy now. I go there infrequently now. On weekend, it can be tough to even find parking and they now have Valet parking near the movie theater.

A funny little aside: whenever I have taken the kids to the movies, we go to cheap theaters. Little divey theaters. But recently, DS17 went with his gf to that movie theater. He said later, "I don't know *what* kind of theaters we have been going to, but that theater is TOP SHELF!" 😀

Whenever we go back to visit my parents, kids beg me to go to that mall.  I have no idea why.  They also love the library.

I used to really really like Columbia, but now you can't spit without hitting a house or a store. 

BTW, if you ever want to chit chat via PM - let me know - it's so fun for me to find someone on this board from that area :)

ETA:  did you try Talbot or JJ Jill for clothes.  I saw some OK things there.  Don't know the prices, though

Edited by SereneHome
  • Like 1

A friend of mine, who is a runner, told me that when her oldest kids were babies, Columbia Mall used to host after-hours running through the mall. She said it was her little sanity-saver; put the babies to bed and then go run through the mall. It didn't matter what the weather was doing and her hubby could handle the kids if they woke unexpectedly. 😊

My first two jobs were in the Columbia Mall........... I remember the morning walkers because they'd be there when we were setting up for the morning. They didn't do the running at night then but that was a very long time ago.

• Like 1

I think J.Jill has gone way down in quality.  The last two things I've bought there pilled in a few wearings.  But otherwise I agree, fewer pieces, higher quality, and purposefully chose made in America if you wish.

If you want some guidance on how to make that work, you might want to check out Jennifer Scott's YouTube channel.  She tries to stick to a 10 core item wardrobe, buys fewer pieces, higher quality, and puts aprons on to do housework without ruining her clothes.  She also recommends a few higher-end brands where one item will last more than 5 years in some of her older videos.  You might love the philosophy, find some different brands, and not feel so bad about the money.

Also, I've found with high-end brands, sticking to the sales on the websites works better for budgets.

• Like 2