Menu

What tricks/tips/small products make your life happier/easier

Ottakee

What are little things that just make your life easier, happier, etc?  Little tricks, tips, or products?

I can think of 3 off hand:

1.  Just Between Us Br*ast Veils........these are amazing little silicon disks worn over the "headlights" inside your bookshelf.  I think they were about $20 at a intimates store.  I LOVE not having to worry about any headlight issues no matter what T shirts or other things I wear.

2.  Leftovers----instead of putting leftovers in containers by type of food, I now put leftovers in small containers with a serving size of each thing......so each container contains the meat, pasta/potato, and veggie.  That makes grabbing it for lunches the next day for work or even at home much easier.  For some reason I never thought of that until I saw my friend with a busy family doing it.  I also put soups, stews, chili, casseroles, etc. in single serving containers.  A tiny bit more work when cleaning up after dinner but saves so much time later.  Also, anything that freezes well goes into the freezer like that and then when I need to pack lunches I can just grab a container out of the freezer and it thaws by lunch.

3.  Drying Laundry on the Line...for shirts that will be hung up in the closet, hang them up on a hanger to dry.  Then when they are dry you just carry them right to the closet already on the hanger.  Saves a step and takes up less room on the clothes line.

• Like 5

Butter Bay. I love having soft, spreadable butter available all the time.

Airwick Freshmatic (I'm sure any other brand would work just as well). After years and years of trying to get my house to smell nice but not "too" (too overpowering, too perfumey, too artificial) and trying everything from Febreeze plug ins to candles and wax melts to essential oil diffusers I've finally found my Holy Grail product.

Redken Frizz Dismiss hair line. Another Holy Grail product. Like the fountain of youth for my hair.

Puppy pads. I use them for many things. This time of the year the main use is for containing the mess when I'm cutting a cantaloupe or watermelon. I spread one on the counter and it soaks up the juice and makes it easy to wrap up the rind. I also use one when I go to get lawn mower gas--I place the can on a puppy pad and there's no worry of any drips on the car interior that will smell forevermore. The dog doesn't use 'em but they're a "must have" item to keep stocked for lots of other things.

• Like 6

When I still lived in the big city... Amazon Prime Now. My goodness, that instant 2-HR ordering/delivery saved my hide several times.

Edited by Kinsa

Amazon Echo
Amazon Prime

Smart TV and no cable

Disc-bound planner systems and all the pretties that go with them. (Seriously, all of them. I mix and match from every brand that exists except for Walmart, because mine hasn't stocked them yet.)

My laminator

Travel sized lotions

Ben & Jerry Chocolate Brownie ice cream

Thirty-one tote bags

Group shopping lists on every family member's cell phone.  Whoever is at the store picks up all the things.  

Nespresso coffee maker.  Yummy coffee, quick.

A great travel tote-bag where I can keep all the things I use only out of town and that I can carry or put on my wheelie.  Come to think of it, a lot of what I would put on this list is great storage for things I use frequently, want to access easily and tuck away neatly.  That includes the tote, a couple of good handbags, craft storage, photography equipment storage and carriage.

Butter Bay. I love having soft, spreadable butter available all the time.

Airwick Freshmatic (I'm sure any other brand would work just as well). After years and years of trying to get my house to smell nice but not "too" (too overpowering, too perfumey, too artificial) and trying everything from Febreeze plug ins to candles and wax melts to essential oil diffusers I've finally found my Holy Grail product.

Redken Frizz Dismiss hair line. Another Holy Grail product. Like the fountain of youth for my hair.

Puppy pads. I use them for many things. This time of the year the main use is for containing the mess when I'm cutting a cantaloupe or watermelon. I spread one on the counter and it soaks up the juice and makes it easy to wrap up the rind. I also use one when I go to get lawn mower gas--I place the can on a puppy pad and there's no worry of any drips on the car interior that will smell forevermore. The dog doesn't use 'em but they're a "must have" item to keep stocked for lots of other things.

That is flippin' genius!!! I have a whole box- I bought them to put behind our washer from when the drain line sometimes overflows, but these are all great. Especially the watermelon. I HATE the mess that makes. Maybe this will make me more likely to buy it for the kids! 

I am not sure what the puppy pads cost but check out your local thrift stores for medical blue pads.....those dispoable blue squares they put under you in bed, in wheelchairs, etc. Often they have big packages of them at thrift stores....and very cheap.

• Like 4

Putting a garage sale dot sticker on an item I am low on after I purchase a replacement. So if I buy a mustard, for example, I put a dot on the one in the fridge to remind me I have one in the pantry.

My iced tea maker

The Libib app for keeping track of what books and movies we own to avoid duplication

My printable packing list. Saves me a bunch of thinking time each trip, and it is organized by section, so if we are going to the cabin but not fishing, I can easily cross off that section, etc.

• Like 4

Hmmm....I had to think about this.

1. Keeping scissors in my car.  There's a child's pair in one of the compartments (along with wipes, bandaids a ziploc, and two granola bars).  It never fails that we wish we had a pair when we're out at something that requires wristbands or I need to get into a package before I get home.  The other things in the compartment are quick "emergency" items.

2. a compost bin.  I take it out every other day at least.  Our trash isn't full of stinky onions or rotting fruit pieces and we've actually cut our trash waste down to a medium sized bag each week because everything gets recycled or composted.

3. making certain things habits: library on the same day every week, laundry first thing in the morning, bill paying as soon as they come in. It keeps me from forgetting too much and having to pay fines or running out of clean socks. :laugh:

One more!  I hang my tablecloths from pants hangers folded in one direction instead of all the way into a small rectangle.  They look better when I put them on the table since I'm not a fan of ironing.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 4

Amazon Prime

Instant Pot

OneNote, iCal, and the Reminder app on my phone

The magnetic bookmarks someone recommended

A pressure shower curtain rod above my washer and dryer

A set of shoe cubbies on a counter -- for keeping all the little necessary stuff organized

The Imaginext BatCave and friends, because seriously, my little boys play with that thing for hours

Radiant heating mat under tile floor in our bathroom

Bluetooth speakers from Five Below for the car and a splitter from Amazon that lets two speakers work at the same time with my phone

Disposable cleaning wipes

Always going to the library on the same day of the week and each having a designated bag just for library books.

Taking a picture of the menu with my cell phone and glancing at it in the store to make sure I didn't forget to put something on the shopping list.

Before each year starts, on each page of the calendar, I mark things to pay attention to that month--annual vet appointment, buying tickets for the festival, seeing when the pick-your-own farm opens, signing up for camp, etc.

For travel, different color clothing pods for each person means it's easy to share a suitcase without making a mess. I think I got them from ebags.

• Like 4

• my bullet journal (I'm currently using a Leuchtturm 1917)
  • my Trello boards
  • Mrs. Meyers Clean Day multi-surface cleaners and dish soap
  • a well-seasoned Lodge cast iron pan
  • Instant Pot
  • Pamplemousse La Croix

That's my favorite La Croix too, but I've been buying Aldi's pink grapefruit sparkling water because it's so much cheaper and very similar. :)

• Like 2

I try to have stamps, envelopes, address labels and an assortment of stationery on hand. Also cardstock if I want to make my own personalized card. My nearest post office has the worst hours (not open on weekends, closed for lunch, no stamp machine).

I am excited about my new planners that I found out about on this board. The small monthly one can fit in my purse so I don't have to add another note to my smart phone. I always forget to look at those. Also my memo pad with pen that I bought because of the Hive.

At any given time, I usually have one pair of dd's shoes in the car. Sometimes it's easier to just pick up the barefoot kid and put her in the car and deal with the shoes later. Right now sandals are in car so no need for socks.

Sometimes, if I'm really proactive, I will go to coupons dot com and search by product name (ie. Pampers) and print coupons for exactly what I need before I go to the store. I'll do this with digital coupons for places like Dollar General and Family Dollar as well. For the longest time I didn't know you could search by brand name so I'd get frustrated scrolling through categories. Maybe everyone knew this but me :lol:

• Like 1

So many little things like that. But since it's the season I'll mention I keep a picnic blanket in my car, which allows us to stop for spontaneous park time, lie on the grass if we see a good spot, spread out our work if we see a cool spot and want to work outdoors, etc. Plus it gives me comfort that if the car broke down or there was an earthquake we'd have a blanket to keep warm while we wait.

Once it's folded and zipped (keeps in neat in the trunk) it has handles and a handy pocket.

• Like 6

Freezing liquidy things in flat sealed bags. A 'sheet' defrosts much faster than a block. Fil taught me that one!

My favourite thing in the kitchen is the magnetic strip knife block. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016ISHAC8/ref=mh_s9_acsd_top_bw4dh_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-4&pf_rd_r=A14TYQ324G7GFG29K7NG&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=86b5e0e9-6a3b-5191-ab52-cb9df1053b76&pf_rd_i=13840861

I hate bulky knife blocks. I told dh that I want a wall of them for all our cutlery :lol:

Instant Pot for sure.

Not a little thing, but dd loves her adjustable bed

Perfect Potatoe maker for microwave

my iWatch.  Love that thing.  Makes everything easier

laundry bags so I can wash delicates with non-delicates. 

cordless vacuum

Edited by HollyDay
  • Like 1

I've thought of several things prompted by this thread:

• Folding scissors in my purse.  Especially nifty when that dang MiracleGro chin hair shows up.  And other things.
  • Multi-head screwdriver.  One in the car, too.  
  • Flower cutters in my car.  (On my way to church, I see hydrangeas in my garden; I want to take some to church.  But if I have to walk allllll the way back into the house and then the garage, it's not going to happen.  It happens all the time now.)
  • Cooler in the car.  If I am not going straight home from the grocery store, I can keep things cool longer.  
  • Apps on my iPhone:  reminders so I can schedule a reminder to get a piano tuning 18 months out and all those sorts of things.  I don't want to actually *schedule* things a year out...but I learned my lesson a few weeks ago.  I thought it had been 2 years since I had been to the dentist.  Six.  Oops.  But I don't know what I'll be doing in a year, and don't want a hard appointment on my calendar, just a reminder 2 months out to schedule it.  
  • Kindle.  So happy with this product
  • Bluetooth for using my phone in the car.  I can yell really loud on phone calls with my mom--she's pretty deaf.    
  • The GPS map in my car.  I call her Miss Zippy, the Marriage Saver. 
  • My big LeCreuset French oven.  I do a lot of Big Food, cold and hot, and this is always a useful pot.  

The first-aid kit next to the kitchen sink. And the one in the diaper bag.

Rolls of trash basket liners left in the bottoms of the trash baskets, so replacement is easy.

Toilet cleaning supplies in each bathroom rather than one set for the entire house.

A heavy duty, water absorbent large rug in the mud room entry from the garage - it catches so much crud.

A no shoes worn in the house policy.

Amazon Subscribe and Save - Every month.

A 3" folding knife in the diaper bag as well as an LED flashlight.

A rotating toy bin schedule so the kids do not have all their toys out at once.

A bin labeled "basement" inside the closet in which I place anything that needs to disappear down there. When it is full, I move it down and empty it.

• Like 3

My FlipBelt. Even with yoga pants- no need for a purse! (I detest carrying a purse)

Walmart Online Grocery Ordering/carry out I wish this had existed when my kids were babies! 

Bluetooth headphones. I thought I would hate them. I love them. No more ripping my ear off when I catch the wires on something! 

Sleep phones- for the nights you want to go to sleep listening to music or your favorite podcast. 

I have a cleaning cart.  It's one of those metal wheeled shopping carts.  My cleaning supply caddy nests at the top, laundry goes inside, I tie a trash bag onto the side, and an Ikea bag goes over the handle to hold things that belong in a different room.  It eliminates backtracking, and combined with the Flylady set-a-timer thing, it helps me be as efficient as possible.  I even spritz the room with a room freshener as I'm leaving it.  

Also, my zojirushi water boiler is beloved and cuts my tea making time in half.

• Like 3

Can you tell me more about Trello boards? What do you use them for?

It's basically a virtual bulletin board where you can save lists, URLs, photos, notes, etc. For example, I used it to organize and plan our parents' 50th anniversary party as well as the family vacation we took to a lake house together last year. My sisters were collaborators and could add "cards" to the different categories on the board too. I use it to keep track of story ideas and research, bucket lists, home organization, and lots of other work and home projects. It's kind of hard to explain, but they have lots of examples of how people use it on the website.

Amazon Prime.  How did homeschool parents survive before this?

My homemade velcro daily duty/chore/school chart.  Kids are independent in the morning because of it, allowing me to slowly wake up and shower and coffee before I have to talk to anybody.  

Speaking of coffee, my Cuisinart K-Cup Brewer.  

Clean socks in a bin in the garage, not sorted by gender or age or person because ain't nobody got time for that.  No one wears socks inside the house anyway, so this way they are right next to the shoe bins as we head out to the van.  

Dirty socks in a bin beside the Clean Socks Bin.  For when we all get back home, of course.

Another trick my DH has is that he found a light guage chain and bought a long section of it. He screwed one end into our medicine cabinet and the other end he attached to a comb that had a whole I the handle. We have never, ever had the comb go missing. You could easily do that with a hairbrush too.

In our new house he attached the comb to the inside of the top drawer in the bathroom. Chain is long enough to easily comb your hair, reaches to the sink when you need to wash it, but then tucks neatly back into the drawer.

• Apps on my iPhone:  reminders so I can schedule a reminder to get a piano tuning 18 months out and all those sorts of things.  I don't want to actually *schedule* things a year out...but I learned my lesson a few weeks ago.  I thought it had been 2 years since I had been to the dentist.  Six.  Oops.  But I don't know what I'll be doing in a year, and don't want a hard appointment on my calendar, just a reminder 2 months out to schedule it.  

Which app do you use for this?

USED to use Wunderlist until Microsoft bought it and castrated it.

Now our family uses WeDo. 

But the iPhones Reminder app will do just fine.  Set a reminder:  "schedule piano tuning within two months time" for 18 months from now.  Include phone number so all you have to do is click that.  Done.

I have a number of these, including 

Pay property taxes 2x a year

Tune piano

Get teeth cleaned

Go to THIS parish for THAT service

They are not on my calendar but in reminders to put them on my calendar.

:0)

Any reminder app will do.

Yeti travel mug - good for hot and cold liquids

Sodastream

Homemade wooden book stands that hold books at an 45 degree angle and make reading much easier on the eyes.

Pampered Chef Mini chopper

A$$ hooks from IKEA, attached on front of closet above sliding doors. I hang up damp clothes, or clothes that I am going to wear, or clothes that need to hang straight for a while to get wrinkles out.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I used to use a butter bell, but the butter kept slipping out when the temps got too warm.  I think this will be a great replacement.

That's only happened to us a few times, and I think it was because I didn't have the butter pushed down firmly enough. But the warmest our house ever gets is 75.

Microsoft One Note (free on Apple devices) on every computer and phone for grocery lists and all other manner of information, like clothing sizes, gift lists, curriculum plans, grades, and everything else I used to keep in a day planner.

Pampers Baby Dry Overnight Diapers for those who aren't night time potty trained yet.  Forget pull ups or regular diapers, or even cloth diapers with doublers. These helped a kid who frequently wakes up at 3am and can't get back to sleep get 11 hours last night!  So I got a glorious break and restful morning.

Roku box - so much better than the sticks or smart tv's when the internet connection is slow (as it so often is in summer).  Far less buffering, even in HD.

Using "school" food rules for picky eaters - Yes, you can have more of that or dessert, but only AFTER you eat everything on your plate.  For the truly picky, we require only 3 bites for dessert.  Also no snacking between meals (exceptions made for apples and the popcorn we have with movies).

Roomba: seriously love it. Sure it's slightly gimmicky and doesn't replace my main vacuum but I run it frequently especially when I wouldn't normally be vacuuming (end of a busy day for example). Cannot believe the amount cat fur, dust bunnies and dirt that it picks up. 

Nonslip hangers from Costco: why in the world have I not owned these before? Half my clothes are on the closet floor due to slipping off the hangers. Picking up another box next time I'm there.

Great thread!! 

• Like 1

I keep looking at this, but I'm not sure I would use it that much!  How are you using it?

I love fizzy water. I fill one of the bottles, fizz it, put it in fridge. Many times, I spike it with some grapefruit juice or lime, a shot of kombucha or a little raspberry juice - whatever is handy. The instructions say to carbonate water first then mix it so I kept to that even though I don't know that it would make a difference.

Since I am on the road a lot for my job, I always have some fizzy water with me - spiked or not. :)

• Like 2

So fun! I have picked up some great ideas and gadgets (I had no idea sleep headphones were a thing, my husband might love those!).

La Croix makes me so, so happy. All day, every day. I have had a Sodastream in the past, but I was an original adopter and then Department of Transportation changed the rules and they could no longer ship the big canisters. 

Cold brew coffee

Telling my phone to remind me of something. I use that nearly everyday-from setting a timer to remind me to switch the laundry to the reminder that popped up this morning that reminded me to dole out Advil prior to the ortho appointment. 

I also love having my phone tell me how to spell a word. I have major spelling insecurities, although really I am fine. If I am writing something and I am unsure or it doesn't look right, I just ask my phone.

Being in the habit of walking every morning. It is just what I do. I never have to think am I going to walk (or run), I just do it. Sometimes I have to adjust my timing if I have an early appointment, but I get up and get outside every morning, first thing. 

Library Elf makes keeping track of what is on our multiple library cards much easier. My library does send a reminder, but Library Elf lets me schedule when I want the reminders and keeps reminding me until I have returned the appropriate item. It is also faster at telling me when a hold has arrived.

Mrs. Myers makes me happy when I clean.

I love my buckwheat hull pillow, even though I was sure I would hate it when it was first recommended. 

Amazon Prime is worth every single penny. I  :wub: Amazon Prime.

Hmm, I think that is all I have right now. I will keep thinking. 

• Like 1

Another trick my DH has is that he found a light guage chain and bought a long section of it. He screwed one end into our medicine cabinet and the other end he attached to a comb that had a whole I the handle. We have never, ever had the comb go missing. You could easily do that with a hairbrush too.

In our new house he attached the comb to the inside of the top drawer in the bathroom. Chain is long enough to easily comb your hair, reaches to the sink when you need to wash it, but then tucks neatly back into the drawer.

I know someone who did this with the TV remote. He attached it to the side table 

• Like 1