Menu

s/o contacts--who has done LASIK?

maize

If you've had LASIK surgery what has your experience been? I've been wearing glasses or contacts for over thirty years and really like the idea of maybe not needing them.

If you've considered corrective surgery but decided against it how did you come to that conclusion?

• Like 3

My dh had it 12 years ago. He thinks it's one of the best decisions he could have made. He's been so happy and hasn't needed glasses since.

I would like to, but I cannot get through my whole eye/laser phobia so far.

My dh had it 12 years ago. He thinks it's one of the best decisions he could have made. He's been so happy and hasn't needed glasses since.

I would like to, but I cannot get through my whole eye/laser phobia so far.

My exact experience, except I should really start using reading glasses (I'm 50).  Having worn glasses or contacts every waking moment for 30+ years, it was such an improvement in quality of life.  :)

• Like 3

Two of my BILs had it.  One had complications but it worked out in the end and they are both exceedingly happy with the results.  Now, for about 2 weeks they looked like vampires with their deep red eyes (which kind of freaked out some of the kids in the extended family but was a big thrill for others and they thought they should have waited until Halloween to do it).

• Like 2

I did it about 10 years ago. I went free m not seeing the big E on the eye chart to 20/20 vision. The appointment to evaluate if I was a candidate was longer than the actual procedure one. Recovery was super easy.

After 9 years I did get glasses just to crisp up the distance vision. I am still.legal to drive without them but they help.

Still, I am super happy I did the Lasik.

• Like 1

I had it done in 2006. Up until that point, my uncorrected vision was 20/1600. Corrected it was probably around 20/30.

After I had it done, when my eyes completely healed, I was at 20/20 uncorrected for about 7 years. Then, due to age and screen time, etc,

they got a little worse, to the point where I now need glasses to see distance and to drive but I do not need them for reading or putzing about the house.

Still one of the best things I've ever done for myself!

I highly recommend you at least do a consultation to see if you qualify. It all depends on how much corneal tissue you have. Some people don't have enough

to warrant it. Some, like me, only have enough for one surgery. Others, like my husband, have enough that if they need a "touch up" later, and another $2k plus to drop,

they can do it. 

Here is what I'll let you know in advance: the first three weeks after the surgery can be a little frustrating because you're vision will change EVERY day.

It's simply your brain and occipital nerve coming to terms with the fact that something different is going on and it's your eye healing but it can get a little annoying!

You really shouldn't drive for the first two weeks if you can avoid it; however, many people, including us, do and did. Just don't do it at night for awhile!

Anyway, the short answer is: Did I get it done? Yes. Was it worth it? YES!

ETA: both dh and I had our surgeries done, about a week apart, at Nationwide Vision. We were both offered a Valium a little while before the surgery to help with nervousness. He didn't take it. I did.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 4

DH just had it done earlier this month - so far, it's been great. The day after the procedure he was able to drive himself to a follow up appointment, where they checked his eyesight and it was 20/20. No weird red vampire eyes either (maybe that differs from person to person).

I went to a consultation and it turns out I'm not a great candidate. They correct vision by flattening some of the curvature of the eye, and I don't quite have enough excess curvature to end up with good results. If it gets flattened too much, it can really compromise the quality of your sight (colors and light and such).

Regarding the fear/anxiety, if you can bring yourself to do the initial consultation to make sure you're a good candidate and then schedule the procedure, I think most places will do an rx for something like Valium for the actual procedure.

• Like 2

Love it and wish I had been able to afford it sooner. I still have a little better than 20/20 distance vision after 10 years. I'm starting to have to move small print in and out at 42. The doctor warned me that age-related changes would happen.

• Like 2

My step-dad, who is a GP, was going to have it done.  He was quite cautious and waited for years, until he felt that the techniques had really been perfected and the surgery proved itself.

He didn't end up getting it because his issues turned out to be more complicated, but I trust his judgement about it's results.

One thing he did say was that there is a real element of getting what you pay for - the cheapest don't generally have the best results and you need to research the care provider or clinic.

My sister had great results with it.

• Like 2

Just a heads up, you can't do it if you are breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant in the next six months. I went through the whole 2hr exam nursing a baby in my lap and at the very end they say, you have to be 3-6 months post breastfeeding and wait at least 6-12 months before getting pregnant. I was a bit irritated that they failed to say that at the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009
  • Like 5

If I could do it over again, I'd have done it way before needing reading glasses.  I went from needing glasses to see anything to needing glasses to read anything.  Glad I did it...just wish I could have experienced life without glasses at all :)

• Like 2

I did RK in 1996....and went completely glasses free for almost 20 years.  Last summer I got glasses for night driving and reading....bi-focals.  RK was one of the best things I ever did for myself.  I had worn contacts since I was 15 or 16.....I loved the 20 years I had of no glasses at all. 

And Lasik is easier than RK...and I thought RK was pretty easy.

• Like 1

I did it 10+ years ago. I saved for a whole year prior and did tons of research on the doctor. I needed to find a window between nursing and pregnancies. I "think" the last box of contacts I had said -9.50. So rather bad sight.  I just had an eye exam last month and everything is still really good.

I had never had valium before that eye surgery. So I said, "Well, just give me a little bit."  I was incredible nervous. So my only regret was not taking all the valium that I was offered. :)

• Like 1

Just a heads up, you can't do it if you are breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant in the next six months. I went through the whole 2hr exam nursing a baby in my lap and at the very end they say, you have to be 3-6 months post breastfeeding and wait at least 6-12 months before getting pregnant. I was a bit irritated that they failed to say that at the beginning.

Ohhhhh, that's good to know. I would love to get this done, even if I do end up needing reading glasses in a couple years. I've been pregnant and/or nursing since 2003 and still looking at another couple years. 

• Like 2

I've always heard great things about it BUT the procedure itself sounds terrifying! I have a nephew who had it done a couple weeks ago and what he described to me sounded like a horror story - he even said it was the worst experience he'd ever had - and he isn't easily scared off of things. 

So what is the experience actually like? (not trying to hijack, OP, just really curious!)

• Like 1

Ohhhhh, that's good to know. I would love to get this done, even if I do end up needing reading glasses in a couple years. I've been pregnant and/or nursing since 2003 and still looking at another couple years. 

My doctor was willing to do it once my little one was past a year old and down to just nursing in the morning, at nap, and at bedtime.

• Like 1

I've always heard great things about it BUT the procedure itself sounds terrifying! I have a nephew who had it done a couple weeks ago and what he described to me sounded like a horror story - he even said it was the worst experience he'd ever had - and he isn't easily scared off of things. 

So what is the experience actually like? (not trying to hijack, OP, just really curious!)

It was stressful because they are working on your eyes and you're aware that's it's happening. But the procedure itself wasn't nearly as bad as other medical stuff.

• Like 3

It was really freaky. I had a reaction to the Valium which didn't help. But it was nothing compared to someone cutting a baby out of me!

• Like 3

My BILs said that it was very quick.  The procedure itself was much quicker than the consultation.  They described it and it did sound freaky and I honestly don't like anyone messing with my eyes so I don't know how I would handle it but they were not bothered by it, or at least not much.  They both felt it was worth it 100%.

• Like 2

I had it done in 2006. Up until that point, my uncorrected vision was 20/1600.

***My uncorrected vision was 20/1200. Basically, I could see clearly to my bicep, but anything beyond that was a blur of colors and shapes. Mostly colors and just a few blobby shapes.****

Corrected it was probably around 20/30.

After I had it done, when my eyes completely healed, I was at 20/20 uncorrected for about 7 years. Then, due to age and screen time, etc,

they got a little worse, to the point where I now need glasses to see distance and to drive but I do not need them for reading or putzing about the house.

****I had my surgery in December of 1999 because I didn't want the electricity to go out on Y2K and me not be able to have the surgery done and have to live in an apocalyptic America only being able to see my biceps. Last year, 17 years after the procedure, I realized my sight was getting blurry at night while driving. I got some glasses to clear up my night time blurriness with some funky frames. I love them but only need them in the car at night, and sometimes at Walmart at night. The store is so big and the lighting is weird that things in the distance feel blurry and so I wear them at Walmart. ****

Still one of the best things I've ever done for myself!

****Yes! Best thing! I had worn glasses as I was afraid to put contacts in my eye. 17 years of glasses and now 17 years without. It's been great. I remember the first day I got caught in the rain and didn't have to hunch over so my glasses wouldn't get wet. Or the first day I went out when it was cold and my glasses didn't fog up. No fumbling around in the morning trying to find them. No having to clean them off, or the world will be blurry.***

I highly recommend you at least do a consultation to see if you qualify. It all depends on how much corneal tissue you have. Some people don't have enough

to warrant it. Some, like me, only have enough for one surgery. Others, like my husband, have enough that if they need a "touch up" later, and another $2k plus to drop,

they can do it.

Here is what I'll let you know in advance: the first three weeks after the surgery can be a little frustrating because you're vision will change EVERY day.

It's simply your brain and occipital nerve coming to terms with the fact that something different is going on and it's your eye healing but it can get a little annoying!

You really shouldn't drive for the first two weeks if you can avoid it; however, many people, including us, do and did. Just don't do it at night for awhile!

***Yes to this! But for me, it lasted about 6 weeks. Every day my eyes would change at they healed. One would be crystal clear, and the other would be blurry. The next day they'd swap. Then they'd both be blurry...then clear...back and forth. Also, I had to put in moistening eye drops about twice an hour, plus the medicated ones, for a bit of time. The moistening eye drops can be bought over the counter, but are a bit pricey. You have to get a specific type. They were pretty soothing though. And sleep with protective plastic glasses so that I wouldn't lay on my eyes and smush them in the night.****

Anyway, the short answer is: Did I get it done? Yes. Was it worth it? YES!

***I agree. For my vision, very, very, very, very worth it. If you only have mildly bad vision, I wouldn't mess with my eyes, but for someone who is basically helpless without glasses, it was a life changer.****

ETA: both dh and I had our surgeries done, about a week apart, at Nationwide Vision. We were both offered a Valium a little while before the surgery to help with nervousness. He didn't take it. I did.

***I was told the Valium was for two reasons: to calm your nerves, and to make you sleepy. Immediately after the procedure, someone is supposed to drive you home and you're supposed to sleep for a few hours, so that the eyes are resting. My doctor told the sad, sad tale of the man who went home from the eye surgery and started doing carpentry, using saws and got a bunch of sawdust in his eyes and messed them up. Sleeping is wiser.

But the Valium made me have a bit of a crash the next day. I was really wonky emotionally and depressed. I don't ever want to play around with Valium again. But it was worth it for that one day.****

This was in 1999 and I don't know if it's changed.

You're in a chair. You are wide awake and you've taken your valium to make you calm(er). I was never calm. I was such a bad patient that the doctor told my husband he almost asked me to leave as I was his worst patient. :(

The problem is that when I'm nervous in a medical situation, I will start to babble. I babbled through when the midwife sewed me up without meds after giving birth. I babbled when I got my belly button pierced. I babbled with the eye surgery. I didn't realize that this freaks out the caregiver. I'm careful not to babble anymore, because I don't want someone working on me who is freaked out!

Anyway...so I was babbling and talking about everything they were doing. They put these clamp-like metal things in my eyes to hold them open. It sort of reminded me of eyelash curlers. So, the eye is open. They put in numbing drops and some moisturizing drops. Which were cold. Which I babbled about and even flinched from because I wasn't ready for drops in my eyes.

This is the part you don't want to hear, but a round circle is cut into the eye to make a flap. They open the flap. Then they use the laser to reshape the cornea so that light will bounce into your eye properly (the way your glasses lens force it to do.). The actual part where the flap is open and the reshaping is done, is literally 15 seconds. They will count down so you know when it ends and so that you stay still during that time.

Flap goes down, move on to the next eye...the whole thing took 15 minutes total for both eyes. It is 100% painless.

And I don't know what the other poster is talking about with vampire eyes. I did the surgery on the same day as my friend and neither of us had vampire eyes. That would have been kinda cool in a creepy way, but it didn't happen to us.

NOTE: I was very near sighted, and near sighted eyes are more prone to certain medical conditions. Even though I had the surgery, I still go to the eye doctor regularly to check for other medical conditions like glaucoma or retinal detachments.

Also, needing reading glasses as you age has to do with the muscles getting old. It has nothing to do with the shape of your cornea. So, people with LASIK will deal with needing reading glasses just like everyone else. The two things are separate medical conditions.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I am probably one of the first LASIK patients. The Ophthalmologist who did my surgeries (November 1997) was, at that time, #2 in the world for the LASIK procedure. She was working on getting FDA approval (we are in Cali, Colombia and the #1 doctor for LASIK at that time was in Bogota, Colombia).  She was a pioneering scientist and went up to Harvard to  study Lasers, while doing that work.   

I had Severe Myopia and Astigmatism.  She told me, before the surgeries, that she could either leave some Astigmatism in one eye, and that I would probably be able to read without glasses, or, that she could remove all of the Astigmatism and I would need glasses to read.  I told her that I enjoy reading and would have no problem wearing glasses when I read.   

Actually, I can read very well without eyeglasses.  I am looking at the 14.1" Screen on this laptop and I  read a lot, but if I sit down to read a book, I try to remember to wear my reading glasses. the same ones I bought after the LASIK surgeries, probably in January 1998...

For me, this was a miracle.  My wife would show photos of me with eyeglasses and without to people and they thought the person with the eyeglasses was my father.

ALL surgeries have risks...   NEVER forget that and if anyone tells you differently,  RUN from them.  

I had surgery in one eye one day and in the other eye 2 or 3 days later. Her office was in an eye hospital and there were severe methods used to keep everything as sterile as was possible.

Why do I mention that? Because during January (?) 1999 my wife and I went up to Miami for a week.  One morning, I was driving the rental car and there was a radio commercial from an Ophthalmologist. inviting people to come to his office and eat a free Breakfast, while watching a LASIK  surgery.

About that same time, I received Newseek magazine from the USA each week. They had an article showing an Ophthalmologist whose office was in a mall, and people could look through a window and watch a LASIK surgery in progress. I was astonished, because the patient was in street clothes. A huge difference from the sterile environment I'd been in, in an eye hospital in  Cali, Colombia.

NOTE: Not everyone is a good candidate for LASIK surgeries. There were 3 or 4 exams they did on me before I was considered a good candidate.

WARNING: There are many Charlatans doing Cosmetic Surgery.

SUGGESTION: Go to your Ophthalmologist if you are interested.  I had gone for an appointment with our Ophthalmologist. She is a specialist in something else.  I asked her about Contact Lenses. She told me that she did not think I would be a good candidate for Contact Lenses.  She told me about the LASIK surgeries and referred me to the other M.D.  

I have much better vision than my wife and my DD.   Possibly when she is 25+ my DD will look into LASIK surgeries. Not a good idea before that age. Probably approximately 55 years would be the maximum age for LASIK procedure.

On each of the 2 days that I had the LASIK surgery, she did approximately 10 people. A couple of days later, you go back to her office for a checkup.  While sitting in  her waiting room, my wife spoke (in Spanish) with 1 or 2 patients who were having big issues.  As I wrote above, ALL surgeries have risk.

Sometimes, people need a 2nd correction. I have been lucky and am almost 20 years post-surgery and have excellent vision. I have never had any additional correction.

• Like 1

This was in 1999 and I don't know if it's changed.

You're in a chair. You are wide awake and you've taken your valium to make you calm(er). I was never calm. I was such a bad patient that the doctor told my husband he almost asked me to leave as I was his worst patient. :(

The problem is that when I'm nervous in a medical situation, I will start to babble. I babbled through when the midwife sewed me up without meds after giving birth. I babbled when I got my belly button pierced. I babbled with the eye surgery. I didn't realize that this freaks out the caregiver. I'm careful not to babble anymore, because I don't want someone working on me who is freaked out!

Anyway...so I was babbling and talking about everything they were doing. They put these clamp-like metal things in my eyes to hold them open. It sort of reminded me of eyelash curlers. So, the eye is open. They put in numbing drops and some moisturizing drops. Which were cold. Which I babbled about and even flinched from because I wasn't ready for drops in my eyes.

This is the part you don't want to hear, but a round circle is cut into the eye to make a flap. They open the flap. Then they use the laser to reshape the cornea so that light will bounce into your eye properly (the way your glasses lens force it to do.). The actual part where the flap is open and the reshaping is done, is literally 15 seconds. They will count down so you know when it ends and so that you stay still during that time.

Flap goes down, move on to the next eye...the whole thing took 15 minutes total for both eyes. It is 100% painless.

And I don't know what the other poster is talking about with vampire eyes. I did the surgery on the same day as my friend and neither of us had vampire eyes. That would have been kinda cool in a creepy way, but it didn't happen to us.

NOTE: I was very near sighted, and near sighted eyes are more prone to certain medical conditions. Even though I had the surgery, I still go to the eye doctor regularly to check for other medical conditions like glaucoma or retinal detachments.

Also, needing reading glasses as you age has to do with the muscles getting old. It has nothing to do with the shape of your cornea. So, people with LASIK will deal with needing reading glasses just like everyone else. The two things are separate medical conditions.

Garga, have you had Valium any other time? It amped me up and made me super anxious and nervous. Almost uncontrollably so. They immediately said, okay, this is the Valium and had a nurse come in just to hold my hands and talk to me. My mother hadn't had Valium until recently and had the same reaction to it.

• Like 1

I did RK in 1996....and went completely glasses free for almost 20 years.  Last summer I got glasses for night driving and reading....bi-focals.  RK was one of the best things I ever did for myself.  I had worn contacts since I was 15 or 16.....I loved the 20 years I had of no glasses at all. 

And Lasik is easier than RK...and I thought RK was pretty easy.

Are you referring to PRK?     I believe that is the procedure before LASIK, although I know it is still being done (Texas Tech Eye Clinic is probably one of many places doing both PRK and LASIK).   I think that is the procedure I asked my Ophthalmologist in Dallas about. He had been my Ophthalmologist for about 20 years at that time.  When I asked him about PRK, he told me that he thought the results of PRK were "unpredictable" but that they were working on a newer procedure he thought might be good for me. I assume that newer procedure was LASIK.   

Your Nephew has either led a very sheltered life or has no experience with other medical procedures.  My surgeries were in an eye hospital (November 1997).   Extreme antiseptic conditions.  I remember my wife scrubbing my face  and forehead with some kind of special soap and me being in a hospital gown.

Probably the most "painful" thing was a shot in the rear.   I think that was before they gave me some kind of tablet to take, before the surgery.   The shot in the rear probably hurt a lot more than any discomfort during or after the surgery.

This is what I remember: Laying on the surgical table (is that the word?) on my back and the Ophthalmologist telling me to look/stare at the Red light in the ceiling.   I kept repeating to myself, "look at the Red Light".   I did exactly what she told me to do. The procedure on each eye took approximately 10 minutes. They had us lined up like on an assembly line, waiting to go into the surgery. I think she did about 10 eyes each day.

I was about -8.50.    It was amazing. They put an eye  protector over your eye, but you can see.  Even a couple of hours after the surgeries, I was telling my wife what I could see, immediately post-surgery.

Suggestion: If you consider LASIK surgeries, have it done in an eye hospital by a reputable Ophthalmologist with LOTS of experience doing LASIK surgeries, , not by someone in a Mall...   I think the experiences are totally different and I would never consider surgery in a mall.  Convenient, but otherwise lacking.

• Like 1

Had mine done in 2004. Cole Eye Institute at the Cleveland Clinic. I was in my early 20s. My mom was an RN in the Clinic at that time and got a huge employee discount. The rest of the cost was a graduation gift from my parents. Super emotional to receive that from them...but I digress.

I had horrible near sidedness. Got glasses in 2nd grade kind of stuff. Bound to contacts and glasses all my life.

I was so near sided that the dr did the procedure and had to do a touch up to it in the left eye.

The second procedure was horrible. I had a huge anxiety attack in the op room. They had to stop. My brain already knew what to expect so it hyped me up.

I highly advise something to calm your nerves if that tends to be a problem for you.

At the time, I had to sleep with soft goggles on at night so I wouldn't bump my eyes. But the surgery effects are immediate.

Now, 13 years later I'm still 20/20 but some of the sharpness of my vision has decreased. I have a small prescription I wear at night while driving. It's not legally required for me, but it gives me some added night time definition and makes me feel more comfortable.

Any slipping back into needing glasses for driving or reading are due to the eyes aging so it will happen.

I would do it again. Oh, I have blue eyes too and I think my eyes are more sensitive to sunlight now. I wear sunglasses pretty much everyday even in winter.

I had LASIK back in 1999!  I was -9.5 diopters in both eyes....so super blind.  Best thing I ever did.  I did have horrible dry eyes the first year or so after, but that is normal (or was at the time).  I just carried rewetting drops with me everywhere....especially flying.

Back then, they couldn't correct for astigmatism, these days they can.

I'm -2.0 now, which may seem horrible to some, but I can function without my glasses.  I couldn't find my contacts before without my contacts in.  

• Like 2

Are you referring to PRK?     I believe that is the procedure before LASIK, although I know it is still being done (Texas Tech Eye Clinic is probably one of many places doing both PRK and LASIK).   I think that is the procedure I asked my Ophthalmologist in Dallas about. He had been my Ophthalmologist for about 20 years at that time.  When I asked him about PRK, he told me that he thought the results of PRK were "unpredictable" but that they were working on a newer procedure he thought might be good for me. I assume that newer procedure was LASIK.   

I don't know what the P stands for...but RK is for Radial Keretonomy, which they no longer do.  I was one of the last to do RK and I also heard Lasik is more reliable.  RK worked really well for me though.

Oh I see you said they still do it some places.  I did not know that.

Edited by Scarlett

I can't wear contacts anymore so last year I was evaluated for lasik. I could do it but the doctor said that I would need glasses to read due to my age (early 40). People start to need readers in their 40s. I don't need readers and he said I probably will never need readers because I am so nearsighted. Correcting my nearsightedness would mean I'd need readers. 

I decided to didn't want to spend that kind of money just to switch out glasses to see distance for glasses to see near. I've been not able to see distance since a child so I'll stick with that and save the money. 

Garga, have you had Valium any other time? It amped me up and made me super anxious and nervous. Almost uncontrollably so. They immediately said, okay, this is the Valium and had a nurse come in just to hold my hands and talk to me. My mother hadn't had Valium until recently and had the same reaction to it.

Very interesting! I have not had Valium any other time. I'll tuck this piece of info away and if I ever need Valium in the future, I'll know to be prepared for it to go either way.

Edited by Garga

It's not bad. I was so nearsighted that I couldn't see when the blade was coming toward my eye. The worst part is the clamp they use to keep your eye open. They did the clamp, put drops in, and then did the procedure. My doctor was training another doc so he was describing everything that he was doing as he was doing it. After a bit he looked at me and said that I looked really pale and was I okay. I told him that him explaining as he was working was making me queasy. He quit talking after that. The procedure was quick and painless. 

• Like 1

Your Nephew has either led a very sheltered life or has no experience with other medical procedures.  My surgeries were in an eye hospital (November 1997).   Extreme antiseptic conditions.  I remember my wife scrubbing my face  and forehead with some kind of special soap and me being in a hospital gown.

Well, he's young (early 20s) and has never given birth so not much experience there, haha :) 

Thanks, everyone, for explaining the procedure! It still sounds pretty scary so I guess it all depends on how much you want to have it done. 

I had LASIK back in 1999!  I was -9.5 diopters in both eyes....so super blind.  Best thing I ever did.  I did have horrible dry eyes the first year or so after, but that is normal (or was at the time).  I just carried rewetting drops with me everywhere....especially flying.

Back then, they couldn't correct for astigmatism, these days they can.

I'm -2.0 now, which may seem horrible to some, but I can function without my glasses.  I couldn't find my contacts before without my contacts in.  

I am puzzled that you wrote they could not correct Astigmatism in 1999, because my LASIK surgeries were done in November 1997 and she removed the Astigmatism. She had told me that she could leave some Astigmatism in one eye, so I could read without glasses, or, she could remove all of the Astigmatism and I would need reading glasses. I enjoy reading so I told her I would be fine with reading glasses, but I usually only put them on if I am going to read a book.    I was like you before the surgeries, extremely nearsighted with Coke bottle like lenses in my glasses.   

My husband did it.  He had a more complex healing process than most and had to do more follow up.  He still thinks it is the best thing he ever did.  He did it about 17 years ago.  He now wears reading glasses occasionally. 

My father did it about 17 years before he died.  He died at 71 and never wore reading glasses at all.  He was thrilled with the results. 

This happened to me as well. Although, I was not nursing in the office, no one said anything to me about breastfeeding. I just happened to hear someone else say something about it right before I was prepped. I was disappointed that I had to wait, but thankful I discovered that I needed to wait!

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹My LASIK was done in 2004 and I was 20/15 for several years. Currently, my vision is 20/20. :)

It was life altering and after a lifetime of glasses I was just beyond happy that I could wake up and see the clock, or go swimming and see what was going on. I am very sensitive to sunlight, so often I wear my sunglasses even when it's not really bright outside. Light eyes and LASIK make for more sun sensitivity. So thankful I was able to have the surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I had it done in February and I'm very happy with the results. The procedure was intense but quick. When I walked out, everything looked underwater, but I could read my husband's graphic t-shirt. They told me to go take a nap right after, which I did, and when I woke up I could see the texture on the ceiling above the bed. My vision was 20/20 in one and 20/25 in the other the next day. Over the next three months it settled at 20/15.

I very much agree with the poster who said to expect your vision to change daily for several weeks. I'd wake up with one eye slightly blurry (nothing that affected function, just enough that I noticed it was "off" from the other eye) and then a couple of days later the other eye would do it. Drinking a lot of water, faithfully using the rewetting drops, and using fish oil supplements helped a lot. The doc told me to use the drops regularly, even if I didn't feel like i needed them because the nerve disruption in the eye meant they didn't signal, or feel, dry as soon as they normally would. Just an FYI.

4 months out and I barely think of my eyes anymore. I do have the occasional dry day, especially if I'm tired, but most of the time I don't need drops anymore, even if I've been watching TV or sitting under the ceiling fans. I have a small halo/starburst thing at night but it's very, very minor (and way less than it was at first--I was afraid to drive at night for the first couple of weeks, but it settled wayyyy down) and I notice my eyes are a bit more sensitive to bright sun, but I was always one to carry and wear sunglasses constantly anyway.

Edited by Forget-me-not

I had lasik in 2001.  It has been just over 16 years ago.

I am SO GLAD I did it and I went to a specialist who was recommended by my eye doctor.

I can still go without glasses, but do wear them sometimes for driving and distance, even though I passed the driving test without them.

I really want to have it done but the part about being able to see the doctor working on my eye, coming at my eye, has me freaking out a bit.

They will offer you a valium if you need it.  I didn't take one, but might now.....I have far more anxieties than I used to.

If you've had LASIK surgery what has your experience been? I've been wearing glasses or contacts for over thirty years and really like the idea of maybe not needing them.

If you've considered corrective surgery but decided against it how did you come to that conclusion?

I never had issues with contacts. The initial cost of Lasik was a deterrent and now I feel I don't need it anymore. I wonder if you still need reading glasses after you had Lasik? I have multifocal contacts and don't need reading glasses.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I don't know what the P stands for...but RK is for Radial Keretonomy, which they no longer do.  I was one of the last to do RK and I also heard Lasik is more reliable.  RK worked really well for me though.

Oh I see you said they still do it some places.  I did not know that.

Well, I know the military still does some PRK (photoreactive keretectomy).  What I've heard is that for the Air Force at least, someone who has had LASIK can be medically qualified to fly, but not high performance aircraft (fighters, etc.), because the flap that the doctor makes never actually heals, and if you are pulling a lot of G's, then the flap might fly up, blinding you.  You could fly heavies like tankers and cargo aircraft, however.  But with PRK, you could (potentially) be medically qualified to fly any aircraft.  

The reason I know all this is because my oldest DS, an AFROTC cadet, is looking into this . . . scary!  When he was talking to an Army ophthalmologist at a regular eye appointment, that man said the Army mainly did PRK as well, although I don't know what their reasoning is.

• Like 2

I did, and it is awesome!

I had a terrible eye infection that prevented me from ever wearing contacts again so I had to always wear my glasses. I really struggled at the pool being able to see my kids while wearing glasses (I was in the water with them - my youngest was 20 months). I woke up the day after surgery and could see everything!! It was amazing!

I had Lasik done almost 10 years ago. I have loved the results. Although I do feel my eyes get drier than they used to. I also feel like I sometimes see halos at night. My night vision seems to have been affected somewhat. 

I see so well now - even 10 years and 5 pregnancies later. I'm really glad I did it. 

But the anxiety! Oh my goodness! It didn't hurt at all but I think I had a panic attack. The dr said I was the worse Lasik patient ever. They even double dosed me on Valium but it did NOTHING for me. 

So, make sure you take something that will actually affect you and help you relax. 

My recovery was super easy and I'm so glad I did it. But I'm a little embarrassed by how badly I panicked during it. 

• Like 1

Well, I know the military still does some PRK (photoreactive keretectomy). What I've heard is that for the Air Force at least, someone who has had LASIK can be medically qualified to fly, but not high performance aircraft (fighters, etc.), because the flap that the doctor makes never actually heals, and if you are pulling a lot of G's, then the flap might fly up, blinding you. You could fly heavies like tankers and cargo aircraft, however. But with PRK, you could (potentially) be medically qualified to fly any aircraft.

The reason I know all this is because my oldest DS, an AFROTC cadet, is looking into this . . . scary! When he was talking to an Army ophthalmologist at a regular eye appointment, that man said the Army mainly did PRK as well, although I don't know what their reasoning is.

My doc told me my corneas were on the thin side and there was a very slim chance that once he got in and measured that I'd have to reschedule and have PRK instead. It was a non-issue--I had the LASIK and did fine. He explained that with PRK they remove the flap entirely and it's a much longer, more painful healing process, so I'm glad that the LASIK worked for me. I'm not sure I would have opted for the PRK if I'd had to go that route.

All that to say that the huge eye surgery center I went to still does PRK!

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

Well, I know the military still does some PRK (photoreactive keretectomy).  What I've heard is that for the Air Force at least, someone who has had LASIK can be medically qualified to fly, but not high performance aircraft (fighters, etc.), because the flap that the doctor makes never actually heals, and if you are pulling a lot of G's, then the flap might fly up, blinding you.  You could fly heavies like tankers and cargo aircraft, however.  But with PRK, you could (potentially) be medically qualified to fly any aircraft.  

The reason I know all this is because my oldest DS, an AFROTC cadet, is looking into this . . . scary!  When he was talking to an Army ophthalmologist at a regular eye appointment, that man said the Army mainly did PRK as well, although I don't know what their reasoning is.

I'm no longer in the Air Force, but I chose PRK because of the risk of having the LASIK flap getting torn off by being hit in the eye during vigorous sporting activities.

I had PRK done about 10 years ago and I'm very glad I did it.  Here are some thoughts and recommendations:

- My near vision has gradually gotten worse.  I do not consider this a result of the surgery, since I am now over 50 and my near vision was still fine after I got the surgery done. I still don't wear reading glasses to read, though I use them if looking for deer ticks or working on small mechanical devices.  The thing is, during the consultation process for PRK, the consultants repeatedly told me that I would likely lose my near vision.  I repeatedly asked them "Why?"  They couldn't answer me.  Eventually, I got the consulting doctor alone and he gave me similar nonsense statements along this line.  Finally, I found the question to get to the bottom of things: "Am I more likely to become nearsighted if I choose "Custom" eye surgery versus "Standard" eye surgery?"  The answer was simple then: "Yes."  Custom eye surgery is when they map the topology of your eye and program the laser to correct for your eye specifically.  Standard eye surgery is when they program the laser to apply a corrective change to your eye, sort of like glasses.  The bottom line is that if you pay more money to get the custom surgery versus the standard surgery, you risk hurting your near vision more.  In fact, I had a coworker who got the custom surgery and was rather severely farsighted afterwards: about +1.0 diopters.  I chose the standard surgery as the result of this knowledge and was very happy with the result.

- The most uncomfortable part of the surgery for me was the feel of the ice-cold water which they use to flush the eye immediately after the laser does its thing.

- The laser make a rapid popping sound during the surgery: "POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP!"  This repeats a few times for each eye.

- The large amount of smoke which came off due to the laser blasts was also quite interesting.  (The smoke gets wisked away by a vacuum during the laser blasts.

- MomsintheGarden watched the surgery for one of my eyes and decided right there that she would NEVER DO THIS.  She couldn't watch the other eye.

- The recovery period from PRK was quite painful, and lasted for weeks.  When I returned to the surgery center for my follow-up the next day the LASIK patients were all basically doing fine.  Me, not so much.  BTW, they schedule all the surgeries on Saturday and all the recovery visits for Sunday.  That way, all the patients visiting for consultations on Monday through Friday do not see EITHER the surgery OR the recovering patients.  Clever!

- With PRK, it takes several weeks for your vision to get close to 20/20.  With LASIK, your vision is nearly perfect soon afterwards.  This is because the clear layer of skin over your cornea has to grow back when you have PRK.  As the skin grows, it distorts the vision.

- I dealt with dry eye issues for quite a few years after getting PRK. My issue only occurred at nighttime.  During this period, my eyes  were never an issue for me during the daytime.  Basically, if I got awakened from a deep sleep by something like an alarm clock or some other loud noise, I would be temporarily unable to open my eyelids because they were stuck to my eyes.  I believe what was happening was the clear layer of skin over my cornea was still in its healing process and it would fuse itself to the underside of my eyelid.  If I needed to open my eyes suddenly during a deep sleep, I believe the top layer of that clear skin would be torn off because it was stuck to the eyelid.  It was a bit painful and I believe it prevented full healing due to the repeated injury.  Interestingly, I never had this issue if I awoke normally.  It seems that my eyes properly lubricate themselves just before I awaken.  Fortunately, while this problem persisted for more than five years, it gradually tapered off and this is not a problem for me any longer.

- As of a few years ago, I no longer have any remaining side effects of the surgery.

- My far vision is still excellent.  I can still see the individual branches at the tops of far-away trees in the wintertime when they have no leaves.

- I LOVE not having to care for and wear glasses!

Bottom line:  I highly recommend getting your eyes fixed if you are a good candidate.  If you decide you want to choose PRK over LASIK, just be aware of the recovery period and possible other side effects.

Good luck with your decision!

• Like 2

I'm no longer in the Air Force, but I chose PRK because of the risk of having the LASIK flap getting torn off by being hit in the eye during vigorous sporting activities.

I had PRK done about 10 years ago and I'm very glad I did it.  Here are some thoughts and recommendations:

- My near vision has gradually gotten worse.  I do not consider this a result of the surgery, since I am now over 50 and my near vision was still fine after I got the surgery done. I still don't wear reading glasses to read, though I use them if looking for deer ticks or working on small mechanical devices.  The thing is, during the consultation process for PRK, the consultants repeatedly told me that I would likely lose my near vision.  I repeatedly asked them "Why?"  They couldn't answer me.  Eventually, I got the consulting doctor alone and he gave me similar nonsense statements along this line.  Finally, I found the question to get to the bottom of things: "Am I more likely to become nearsighted if I choose "Custom" eye surgery versus "Standard" eye surgery?"  The answer was simple then: "Yes."  Custom eye surgery is when they map the topology of your eye and program the laser to correct for your eye specifically.  Standard eye surgery is when they program the laser to apply a corrective change to your eye, sort of like glasses.  The bottom line is that if you pay more money to get the custom surgery versus the standard surgery, you risk hurting your near vision more.  In fact, I had a coworker who got the custom surgery and was rather severely farsighted afterwards: about +1.0 diopters.  I chose the standard surgery as the result of this knowledge and was very happy with the result.

- The most uncomfortable part of the surgery for me was the feel of the ice-cold water which they use to flush the eye immediately after the laser does its thing.

- The laser make a rapid popping sound during the surgery: "POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP, POP!"  This repeats a few times for each eye.

- The large amount of smoke which came off due to the laser blasts was also quite interesting.  (The smoke gets wisked away by a vacuum during the laser blasts.

- MomsintheGarden watched the surgery for one of my eyes and decided right there that she would NEVER DO THIS.  She couldn't watch the other eye.

- The recovery period from PRK was quite painful, and lasted for weeks.  When I returned to the surgery center for my follow-up the next day the LASIK patients were all basically doing fine.  Me, not so much.  BTW, they schedule all the surgeries on Saturday and all the recovery visits for Sunday.  That way, all the patients visiting for consultations on Monday through Friday do not see EITHER the surgery OR the recovering patients.  Clever!

- With PRK, it takes several weeks for your vision to get close to 20/20.  With LASIK, your vision is nearly perfect soon afterwards.  This is because the clear layer of skin over your cornea has to grow back when you have PRK.  As the skin grows, it distorts the vision.

- I dealt with dry eye issues for quite a few years after getting PRK. My issue only occurred at nighttime.  During this period, my eyes  were never an issue for me during the daytime.  Basically, if I got awakened from a deep sleep by something like an alarm clock or some other loud noise, I would be temporarily unable to open my eyelids because they were stuck to my eyes.  I believe what was happening was the clear layer of skin over my cornea was still in its healing process and it would fuse itself to the underside of my eyelid.  If I needed to open my eyes suddenly during a deep sleep, I believe the top layer of that clear skin would be torn off because it was stuck to the eyelid.  It was a bit painful and I believe it prevented full healing due to the repeated injury.  Interestingly, I never had this issue if I awoke normally.  It seems that my eyes properly lubricate themselves just before I awaken.  Fortunately, while this problem persisted for more than five years, it gradually tapered off and this is not a problem for me any longer.

- As of a few years ago, I no longer have any remaining side effects of the surgery.

- My far vision is still excellent.  I can still see the individual branches at the tops of far-away trees in the wintertime when they have no leaves.

- I LOVE not having to care for and wear glasses!

Bottom line:  I highly recommend getting your eyes fixed if you are a good candidate.  If you decide you want to choose PRK over LASIK, just be aware of the recovery period and possible other side effects.

Good luck with your decision!

This is super helpful, RegGuHeert, and I'm going to share it with my son.  He's still debating which one to have done.  Another cadet a few years older had PRK done by a retired military doc, and had a good experience, although he did describe the recovery as feeling like he had scratched off his cornea with shards of glass, lol.  

Ds needs to have it done this Christmas if he wants it done before competing for a pilot slot, because the surgery has to have been completed one year prior to getting the medical tests done to qualify.  Or he could get a pilot slot and go through UPT wearing glasses, and then have the AF pay for the surgery after getting wings.  That's what my cousin, an AF pilot, recommends, although the year recovery then sets you off the promotion track of your peers.  Oh, why couldn't DS have gotten his father's perfect eyesight??  Ah well, glad it's not me deciding!

• Like 1