Menu

How much do contact lenses cost? What type is best.

Suzanne in ABQ

20yodd has worn glasses for a long time, and has never wanted contacts until now.  She has a pretty strong prescription (eyes are about 20/400 uncorrected).  It has been a very long time since I lived with anyone with contacts, and I know they've changed a lot in the last 30 years.  I know there are disposable (one day) lenses, and extended wear ones.  I'm most familiar with the soft ones that must be washed everyday, stored in a little container overnight, and placed back in the morning.  I don't know what each type costs, or really what the benefits and disadvantages are for each.

Dd has always been a bit squeamish, which is a major reason she hasn't wanted contacts before.  She couldn't imagine sticking her finger in her eye on purpose. Her main motivation for wanting them is that she is a theater major, and is on stage a lot.  Walking around quite blind is a challenge she is tired of experiencing.  I don't know if she'll wear the contacts all the time or just when she's in a show.  She may love them, but she may just decided they're more trouble than they're worth, unless needed.

What can you tell me?

• Like 1

Which type is best really depends upon what the doctor suggests.  I have a cornea defect, so my doctor suggested dailies for me.  They are not the least expensive option for sure.  But, my vision is excellent with them and I've had fewer problems. 

My oldest dd wears contacts and has recently switched to dailies.  She wore monthlies before and liked them fine.  During allergy season though, she finds dailies more comfortable.

Youngest tried contacts.  She needs torics.  They didn't work well for her.  Her astigmatism is rather strong.  She had better vision with glasses. 

Your daughter might need something totally different depending upon her prescription.  Go to your eye doctor and see what he/she recommends then go from there.  Usually you get a few different types to try, but again, it depends upon the prescription....

• Like 4

They have made many advances in contacts. The new ones are very breathable and moisturizing. I find a fresh lens each day is preferable. I almost ruined my eyes with extended wear that I used to sleep in (even though the doctors told me not to-

but I was young and stupid). Definitely tell her sleeping in them is not worth it as I struggle with dry eyes now and can't wear contacts for very long at all!

They can be pricey depending on what she needs and if she is wearing them daily. I get very high end ones but don't wear them daily. There are some very affordable brands as well. I am not able to wear those due to almost ruining my eyes. I have to have the cutting edge super expensive breathable ones, lol...

Big ranges in price out there. Her best bet is to get a contact lens exam and see what the doctor recommends. Not every brand can accommodate every prescription and not everyone can wear contacts. But if she is a good candidate, they will likely have her try a couple of kinds out for free. They usually send you home with some samples and have you come back in a week or two to see how they did. If they bother her at all or were uncomfortable, they would try a different brand. They check to see the fit of the contact when you come back for a follow up. Talk to the doctor about the cost for the contacts they are recommending. You can buy in bulk (a years worth) or in amounts for 1-3 months worth. Sometimes you get a price break for buying larger quantities. Sometimes insurance pays a portion.

• Like 2

Which type is best really depends upon what the doctor suggests.  I have a cornea defect, so my doctor suggested dailies for me.  They are not the least expensive option for sure.  But, my vision is excellent with them and I've had fewer problems. 

My oldest dd wears contacts and has recently switched to dailies.  She wore monthlies before and liked them fine.  During allergy season though, she finds dailies more comfortable.

Youngest tried contacts.  She needs torics.  They didn't work well for her.  Her astigmatism is rather strong.  She had better vision with glasses. 

Your daughter might need something totally different depending upon her prescription.  Go to your eye doctor and see what he/she recommends then go from there.  Usually you get a few different types to try, but again, it depends upon the prescription....

Thanks.  She has an appointment on Friday, and just today mentioned she'd like to try them.  I'm trying to learn about the different types, so I know what type of relevant information to give the doctor.  It's good to know that all those factors are taken into consideration.  Thanks.

• Like 1

They have made many advances in contacts. The new ones are very breathable and moisturizing. I find a fresh lens each day is preferable. I almost ruined my eyes with extended wear that I used to sleep in (even though the doctors told me not to-

but I was young and stupid). Definitely tell her sleeping in them is not worth it as I struggle with dry eyes now and can't wear contacts for very long at all!

They can be pricey depending on what she needs and if she is wearing them daily. I get very high end ones but don't wear them daily. There are some very affordable brands as well. I am not able to wear those due to almost ruining my eyes. I have to have the cutting edge super expensive breathable ones, lol...

Big ranges in price out there. Her best bet is to get a contact lens exam and see what the doctor recommends. Not every brand can accommodate every prescription and not everyone can wear contacts. But if she is a good candidate, they will likely have her try a couple of kinds out for free. They usually send you home with some samples and have you come back in a week or two to see how they did. If they bother her at all or were uncomfortable, they would try a different brand. They check to see the fit of the contact when you come back for a follow up. Talk to the doctor about the cost for the contacts they are recommending. You can buy in bulk (a years worth) or in amounts for 1-3 months worth. Sometimes you get a price break for buying larger quantities. Sometimes insurance pays a portion.

I didn't realize that you need a special type of appointment for contact lenses.  But, now I remember the appointment person asking if she wore contacts.  I said No, because she doesn't, but now she just said she wants to try them.  I will call them tomorrow to see if we need to schedule the appointment differently.

Do you know if some types are easier to get in and out?  Are the breathable ones softer?  Does that make them more difficult to handle?  Do they still make the ones you wash daily and put back in?  Or are the dailies and extended wear ones the only types available?

• Like 1

As far as range I have paid as little as $20 a month to upwards of $60 a month over the past few years for daily wear. I usually have to buy at least two boxes at a time due to differing prescriptions in my eyes which can increase upfront costs a bit. My current lens would be hard to afford if I wore them daily. They cost around a dollar per eye per day. They are Dailies Total 1.

• Like 2

I use Acuvue Oasys; they are changed out biweekly, a year's supply from Lens.com is $114 per eye.

My dd13 wears a daily type, BioTrue One-day. They're about twice as expensive, though you save a bit by not buying cleaning solution.

Both these have built in UV protection, which is a feature I like.

• Like 2

My DD just started with contacts. She started with the ones that last awhile but didn't like those. My wife called them Saturday but they didn't have the ones DD read about which I think are for one day and needed to order them. They usually sell a different brand. Yesterday was a holiday here in Colombia so hopefully they ordered them today. I think Accuvue or something like that. There are many companies making them and each company makes a bunch of different Lenses and packages different numbers of Lenses. Bottom Line is the Trial Period is critical. I will try to get name of the Lenses DD wants to try tomorrow and I will read this thread with interest

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually have to choose whether I am having an eyeglasses prescription or a contact prescription. It seems like when I was younger they did then both at once but now I have to do it separately, at least in my region of the world. Best to check so they don't make you come back for a separate appointment.

I think they still make the kind you clean each night but I haven't used them in years. You want to be careful with your eyes to make sure the container is really clean and to clean the lens each time so you don't get an eye infection. A fresh lens each time is much more comfortable to me. Once you get past the squeamishness of touching something to your eye it is very simple. They feel like nothing these days, like a super moisturizing eye drop and then you can see! Taking them out may take a little getting used to.

I started at 14 but I remember how hard that first time was! I must have spent an hour trying to get that darn lens in because I kept blinking and dropping it. Then I would have to wash the lens, wash my hands and repeat. It was ridiculous but I was determined! I think the new ones are so soft and easy to pop in, it feels like I have nothing in my eye. If you put it in wrong you know pretty quickly as that is uncomfortable.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

The issue my DD had with the first Lenses I think was dry eyes so you need to put in eye drops for lubrication and liquids to clean them with. The daily ones cost more but I think she will only wear them for Zumba classes and the gym so she will have days when there is no cost for contacts. Possibly when she is 25+ she will look into LASIK surgeries. I had that done in November 1997

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If she only plans on wearing them for dress rehearsals and shows, dailies are the way to go. They are more expensive overall, but you won't need to buy a full years supply.

HOWEVER, LOL! One of my girls who only planned to wear her contacts for shows (got daily disposables) ended up loving them so much that she wears them almost every day.

BabyBaby is currently trying contacts right now. She tried the monthly lenses (remove every night, clean and store, then put in a fresh pair every month) and is currently on a week trial of dailies. She wants them for martial arts, and she trains 3-6 days/week.

Our eye doctor said that the manufacturers are phasing out the two-week lenses (oldest used those about six years ago, then switched to dailies which she rarely wears now) in favor of the monthlies to make it easier for patients to remember to replace them in the first of every month. So soon the only options will be monthly or daily. Dr. says monthlies are slightly better for oxygen for the eye, since technology isn't there to make the daily lenses as high a quality (ETA while keeping the cost affordable) but for most people, it isn't an issue. A fresh lens every day also has advantages over a poorly cleaned lens. When Diamond had the two-week lenses, whether she wore them for two days or two full weeks they got build-up and were no longer comfortable after 14 calendar days.

Also, ask if there are rebates for first time users. We got a $200 rebate in a yearly supply of dailies, which made the cost almost equal to a six month supply of dailies with no rebate. (Monthly lenses had a $100 rebate) Our Dr. charges $480 for a year supply of dailies, but with a $200 rebate and $110 paid by insurance, it's not so bad. (This doesn't include the eye exam, contact lens fitting and follow-up appointments)

Because BabyBaby does three different martial arts, one fighting and once close contact/grappling, we will likely go with the dailies. Doing the math with insurance, rebates, and adding the cost of contact lens solutions- the price difference would be under $25, so no significant financial advantage to either. My concern is if she loses or tears a monthly lens, she only gets 12/year. She will have 360 daily lenses, so there is wiggle room if she loses a few, just don't wear one on an off day, KWIM? It could end up costing more if I have to reorder monthly lenses before thebyear is up.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 1

I have monthly lenses; I clean them every night in a hydrogen peroxide cleaner.  I have stretched them to 6 weeks' wear, but I don't recommend that.  

This probably won't be applicable to your daughter, but I wear one toric lens for astigmatism, and one "regular" lens for nearsightedness.  This gives me distance vision in one eye, and  and enables me to read without wearing reading glasses. Without the toric lens they would cost $200 per year; with it, $240.  I don't remember the brand but it doesn't really matter anyway because your doctor may favor something else.

Years ago I had extended wear lenses. My eyes got really dry and some other problem was starting due to lack of oxygen getting to my eyes. I did like waking up and being able to see, but stopped when the problem showed up.  I didn't even know they were being made anymore.   I've changed doctors a few times since then and no one has ever suggested them to me. 

I hope it goes well for your daughter!

• Like 1

All our family wears contacts. Three wear soft contacts - Acuvue Oasys for one, Air Optix for the one with astigmatism, not sure about the last - all you wear and remove and wash and store at night. My far sight is really bad, so I wear gas permeable as you get better acuity than with soft contacts.

Costs -  $80/lens for gas perms, will last at least two years (assuming no correction change needed).

$70/box but you need four boxes per year (cheaper online, this eye doctor price, but we get two boxes from insurance coverage every year)  - Air Optix

~$70/ box but I *think* she only needs two boxes per year (12 in each box) for Oasys (I think)

• Like 1

Some of the brands don't always go up as high as some people need in prescription strength either. My brands were always limited by my higher prescription.

Same here.  I haven't looked at dailies in years, but years ago when I did they didn't make them in my prescription.

To the OP.  I think I pay around $300 a year for biweekly.  Plus cleaning solutions. 

Another expense is the contact lens fitting fee which is always ridiculously high (higher than the eye exam itself and they make you do it yearly).

• Like 2

Same here.  I haven't looked at dailies in years, but years ago when I did they didn't make them in my prescription.

To the OP.  I think I pay around $300 a year for biweekly.  Plus cleaning solutions. 

Another expense is the contact lens fitting fee which is always ridiculously high (higher than the eye exam itself and they make you do it yearly).

In most states the prescription itself is good for 2 or 3 years.  So the eye doctor might make you do it yearly to purchase through them, but through someplace else (Sam's, Costco, random internet contact lens site) you can buy them more frequently without that exam.  I think the fitting fee is really to cover multiple visits to try several lens types and figure out what works for you.

• Like 1

In most states the prescription itself is good for 2 or 3 years.  So the eye doctor might make you do it yearly to purchase through them, but through someplace else (Sam's, Costco, random internet contact lens site) you can buy them more frequently without that exam.  I think the fitting fee is really to cover multiple visits to try several lens types and figure out what works for you.

Ah ok.  Well I must live in one of the stupid states then.  Here it is a year.

(This is what I do to avoid having to spend money on the exams every single year...order them on-line.) 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

There are a lot of factors that go into which lens is right for a particular person. She won't know what the doctor thinks is best until after he examines her and she tries some sample lenses, if they are available in her prescription. Determining factors include:

Intended frequently of wear

Prescription strength

Shape of eye

Astigmatism or not

Comfort

How much effort she wants to put into taking care of them

Cost

I wear monthly lenses. My prescription strength is only made by one manufacturer, so that is the one I go with. I don't have a choice. If I recall correctly, a one year supply of lenses is about $800 for me. That is due to the strength of the lenses. They are custom made.

• Like 2

Follow on to my reply last night.  My DD found the first type of contacts she tried to be uncomfortable. Dry eyes, etc. Put in occasional drops for lubrication.

She did some reading and wants to try the "Acuvue Moist 1-Day" lenses".   My wife called last Saturday and spoke with a woman there, who said they normally sell another brand of contacts. Monday was a holiday here in Colombia, so hopefully they ordered them yesterday and we can pick them up in a day or 2.

I doubt that there is any one answer to "What type is best".  That would vary between individuals and there is some experimentation I suspect most new wearers of contacts must do, to find the "right" lenses for them.

DD is now  planning to wear contacts occasionally, for the Zumba classes, Gym, etc., so although the one day lenses cost more, with occasional use, and savings in cost for fluids for the other type of lenses, the cost differential may be much smaller than for someone who wears contacts daily.

I hope your DD (and mine!) will find the type of lenses they are comfortable in and can see well in. 

I've used contacts for years and the brand and cost are going to be personal to your daughter.

I use the hydrogen peroxide disinfection system, the Walmart brand and it really helps them stay clean and fresh feeling for much longer than the multipurpose solution.

• Like 1

I wore Accuvue Oasys for years then switched to dailies about a year ago. They feel cleaner and decrease end of the day irritation/build up feeling. On the other hand, they are super flimsy and finicky to put in and they also feel dryer. Every morning when I fiddle with them, I swear I'm switching back to the 2 week type. As a beginner I would not go with dailies, at least the Accuvue brand, that would be frustrating since it can take me a few attempts to get them in (and I'm a 25+ year contact wearer).  

If she does use storage solution, Clean Care is superior and keeps them so much cleaner. BUT, make sure she does not mistake that bottle for rinsing solution.....I thought I would go blind the day I rinsed my contact with it....the pain was excruciating but wore off in about 10-15 minutes. That solution must be used with the special container that buffers it somehow. Be strict with the limitations on how long to wear them, they absolutely can do permanent damage if worn longer than recommended. 

All our family wears contacts. Three wear soft contacts - Acuvue Oasys for one, Air Optix for the one with astigmatism, not sure about the last - all you wear and remove and wash and store at night. My far sight is really bad, so I wear gas permeable as you get better acuity than with soft contacts.

Costs - $80/lens for gas perms, will last at least two years (assuming no correction change needed).

$70/box but you need four boxes per year (cheaper online, this eye doctor price, but we get two boxes from insurance coverage every year) - Air Optix

~$70/ box but I *think* she only needs two boxes per year (12 in each box) for Oasys (I think)

If you don't mind, I have a question about Gas Perms. I used to wear contacts every day, for during the day wear, but use glasses in the evening. But I had a severe problem with dry eye and I quit wearing them. Right before I quit wearing them and went to FT glasses, my eye dr. Suggested I could try gas permeables. They mentioned something about "two thousand dollars," though. But I see you saying gas perm were only $80, so I don't understand how that got confused or why that would be different. Maybe you have partial coverage through a health plan? I don't know.

Is the care and insertion of gas perm more difficult than soft lenses?