Menu

Teaching Recorder

Jess4879

I did clarinet in 5th grade band. I had no aptitude for it. One of the problems I ran into was not having a good correlation in my head between fingering vs the notes on the sheet music vs the names of the notes.

So when I started looking for resources to teach myself alto recorder as an adult (with the intention of teaching my kids soprano recorder), I noticed the Recorder Karate program. I really liked the interactive fingering chart, and liked what I could see of the sheet music on GIS.

We've ended up doing piano for now--- but haven't abandoned our intentions on playing recorder in the future.

• Like 1

I like Recorder Karate, but it really isn't a complete program-it's designed to be an easy set of "homework" and assessments for a school music teacher who is teaching the technique at school and doing additional work there to use. Using it as your only method is likely to lead to frustrated kids.

I like Do It! Play Recorder, in part because it includes more theory than most.

• Like 1

Penny Gardiner's Nine Note Recorder Method. Brilliant!

http://www.pennygardner.com/penny_s_recorder_books.html

Very mom/student friendly.

Try to buy a decent recorder. The cheap ones are awful.

:iagree:  Also worked well here with 2 DSs who had zero interest in music/learning an instrument. ;)

Tons of free videos online as well, so you might spend some time looking at various ones to see if any would work as good support for Penny Gardiner's book.

• Like 3

I suggest Renaissance style recorders-the Peripole Angel is awesome. It is much harder to overblow a Renaissance recorder. It is harder to play the higher notes, so once your student gets to that point, switching to a Yamaha or Aulos is good, but for a complete beginner, the Renaissance recorders will give a better experience and a less painful one.

• Like 2