Menu

capri pants in court

Bootsie

I had jury duty today.  The jury duty summons stated that attire proper for the court room must be worn and specifically said "no shorts, no capri pants, no skorts"  That was all that was specified.  When I reported to jury duty this announcement was made and potential jurors were told that they needed to rectify the situation. 

Mini skirts and leggings are apparently OK--as are FBI shirts--Female Body Investigator.  

I work in a professional setting where I know many women who have summer business suits with capri pants.  The temperature here is over 100 degrees.  Would you consider pants to be offensive to the court simply because they don't touch the tops of your shoes?       

• Like 1

Hmm - were they looking up people's skirts? Otherwise, how could they tell the difference between a skirt and a skort? 

Just checked VT's courts - "appropriate casual dress is required" is the wording. 

And unless I was a lawyer arguing a case or on staff, I wouldn't have an issue with capri pants.

• Like 7

I wouldn't. But, it sounds like they are trying to eliminate casual attire. In my experience, most capris fall into the casual attire category, it sounds like the court sees it that way too.

It also sounds like the court's dress code description has not been updated to reflect current clothing styles/trends as I would consider leggings inappropriate for court (they are too open ended and can be worn in a variety of ways and fabrics - some just outright awful/unprofessional looking - same with minis).

• Like 2

Hmm - were they looking up people's skirts? Otherwise, how could they tell the difference between a skirt and a skort

Just checked VT's courts - "appropriate casual dress is required" is the wording. 

And unless I was a lawyer arguing a case or on staff, I wouldn't have an issue with capri pants.

Yes!

Back in the day, didn't some skorts have a skirt front but shorts at the back? I think I may have had a pair of those...

• Like 1

It also sounds like the court's dress code description has not been updated to reflect current clothing styles/trends as I would consider leggings inappropriate for court (they are too open ended and can be worn in a variety of ways and fabrics - some just outright awful/unprofessional looking - same with minis).

Mini skirts have been around for over forty years so wouldn't need an updated list for them to be excluded.  I think that whoever wrote the guidelines just has a weird bee in their bonnet about capris.

• Like 6

Hmm - were they looking up people's skirts? Otherwise, how could they tell the difference between a skirt and a skort? 

I was wondering why a short skirt was preferable to a skort (or below the knee pants)--it is almost like you were expecting someone to look up your skirt.  

There are many low income women in my area whose wardrobe, especially in summer, is probably limited to skorts, shorts, or capris.   

• Like 2

I just checked for my county, and it prohibits:

Shorts

Ripped or torn jeans

Work out or exercise clothes (sweat suits, sweat pants, spandex, etc.)

Low cut or revealing clothing

Shirts with inappropriate logos or advertising

I don't understand prohibiting capris or skorts.

• Like 5

I would not wear capris to court.  They don't fit my personal standard of business attire,.  That doesn't mean I think anyone who wears capris to court is wrong; my standards are for me only.  

My county says this:   

Jurors should dress comfortably, but properly for a courthouse. Shorts, mini-skirts, tank tops and halters are NOT permitted.

ETA: do most people find that capris are noticeably cooler than full-length trousers?  Seems to me that the fabric would make a bigger difference than the length.  I think denim capris would be hotter than linen trousers, for example.   

Edited by marbel

I did jury duty this winter, and they specifically told us NOT to dress in 'Sunday best' - be presentable, but comfortable. Most folks wore pants and a shirt or sweater. The temperatures varied between the different rooms, so they encouraged us to layer and bring a jacket. Lots of people wore jeans - with nice tops, not T-shirts - and I'd consider capris to be the equivalent. I was a little surprised that they encouraged us to not dress up, but I live in an area where many people would not have 2 weeks worth of nice clothes (we do 2 weeks of jury duty at a time) so it makes sense to have us all dress with a similar level of formality. The court officers wore professional clothing.

• Like 1

This is what my county says. It seems nice capris would be fine.  I suspect I'd wear something I'd wear to church or school when I'm teaching.  That would be pants and a nice top.

"Please use good judgment and dress conservatively. It is suggested that you wear business casual attire that is comfortable and not extreme in style. This helps maintain the dignity of the judicial process. Shorts, tank tops and tee shirts would not be considered appropriate attire."

I think cropped dress pants that are part of a suit and would be worn with heels are very different from capris that you'd wear with flip flops on the beach. If you have dressy cropped pants, I wouldn't worry at all about wearing it and dressing stylishly business casual/business smart. 

Some people don't own dressy clothes and are doing the best they can. And some just don't care. ;)

Yes, there are still judges who will chastise female attorneys for wearing pants in court with a suit. :cursing:  They wouldn't do that to a juror though.

• Like 2

Given the particular court, many people who are being tried would probably not feel that a group of people in business or business casual clothing was a "jury of their peers."

I own capris that I think are nicer than some of my cool summer dresses--some that I wear even to teach MBA students during our oppressive summer heat.  I had something else I could easily grab from my closet to wear.  It just seemed odd to me that jeans with holes in them (with less total fabric than capris) were OK but capris were not.  The FBI t-shirt is OK but capris are not?  Sleeveless shirts revealing graphic, violent tattoos are OK, but capris are not?

• Like 5

I think cropped dress pants that are part of a suit and would be worn with heels are very different from capris that you'd wear with flip flops on the beach. If you have dressy cropped pants, I wouldn't worry at all about wearing it and dressing stylishly business casual/business smart. 

Some people don't own dressy clothes and are doing the best they can. And some just don't care. ;)

Yes, there are still judges who will chastise female attorneys for wearing pants in court with a suit. :cursing:  They wouldn't do that to a juror though.

Definitely.  I do own a pair of capri jeans.  I'd at least go all out and wear the full length jeans for such a special occasion (yes I'm feeling a tad snarky at the moment).

• Like 2

ETA: do most people find that capris are noticeably cooler than full-length trousers?  Seems to me that the fabric would make a bigger difference than the length.  I think denim capris would be hotter than linen trousers, for example.   

I do.

I agree that it doesn't seem like those few inches would make a big difference, but for me they do. Capri jeans are much cooler than full length jeans, capri khakis are much cooler than the full length version, etc. I've never worn linen trousers so I can't comment on whether or not they'd be cooler than denim capris. 

• Like 7

I do.

I agree that it doesn't seem like those few inches would make a big difference, but for me they do. Capri jeans are much cooler than full length jeans, capri khakis are much cooler than the full length version, etc. I've never worn linen trousers so I can't comment on whether or not they'd be cooler than denim capris. 

I find they do too. 

• Like 1

I had jury duty today.  The jury duty summons stated that attire proper for the court room must be worn and specifically said "no shorts, no capri pants, no skorts"  That was all that was specified.  When I reported to jury duty this announcement was made and potential jurors were told that they needed to rectify the situation. 

Mini skirts and leggings are apparently OK--as are FBI shirts--Female Body Investigator.  

I work in a professional setting where I know many women who have summer business suits with capri pants.  The temperature here is over 100 degrees.  Would you consider pants to be offensive to the court simply because they don't touch the tops of your shoes?       

Always a classy fashion choice.  :huh:  :thumbdown:

I googled, but didn't see anything on my specific county. The state bar association says there is no jury dress code, but to dress business casual in layers due to varying temps of court rooms.

I don't see any problems with capris - sounds like someone just doesn't like them. 

• Like 1

Ours says this:

You should dress comfortably, but not too casually. Dress for court as if you were going to work or to church. Many judges do not allow anyone to come to court wearing halter or tank tops, cut off jeans, or shirts with offensive wording. Remember you will be acting as part of the court while serving as jurors, so dress appropriately. Also, you might want to wear layered clothing since courtroom temperatures may vary considerably, requiring the removal or addition of a sweater or jacket. (Last updated on  05/31/2017 )

That seems a bit vague to me, as work and church attire can vary considerably!

Edited by Pawz4me

If you arrive not "properly" dressed, will you be excluded from jury duty? Win - Win

No, you are not exempt from jury duty.  You could be "excused" for the day but your date would be reset within the next 30-90 days.  You could be charged with contempt.

• Like 1

Ok, but seriously, how can they set a dress code? Is one supposed to have a certain social status or income level to be on a jury? That doesn't seem right to me.

It does seem that way. I wonder if it would stand up to legal challenge.
  • Like 6

I've always worn jeans. Most of the others did, too.  I just looked up the info on jury duty in our county and there are no clothing guidelines at all. They do state you can't bring food or drinks or a cell phone or other electronics.  I think they're just happy to have people show up. 

• Like 2

Ok, but seriously, how can they set a dress code?  Is one supposed to have a certain social status or income level to be on a jury?  That doesn't seem right to me. 

That's what I was wondering!!!

And just reading that requirement riled up my issues with authority. I'd probably wear them to make a point and let them hold me in contempt of court. 

ETA: And I would happily consider a jury of my peers dressed all in capri pants! I'm not too good for capris!

Edited by texasmom33

IME judges have a good deal of control over these sorts of rules. I know in Maricopa County courts (county of Metro Phoenix, AZ), there is a "relaxed" formality in summer, court staff and judges and many attorneys will be business casual, relaxing jackets for anything short of trial along with short sleeves, women in dressy capris, etc. The courts I work in, in a rural area, summer is pretty lax also--a blouse and skirt on the female judge who dresses traditionally, a male judge in a polo with a jacket thrown over it during court (they don't wear robes). 

My colleague pretty regularly wears capris to court with a lightweight sweater jacket (the very thin knit sort of thing over a cami. 

However, it's really up to the judge. If judge says "you will dress formally, weather be damned" then that's what you do. In those circumstances I'd be sorely tempted to show up in a kilt for jury duty (wouldn't do that as an attorney because it could be detrimental to client to push judge's buttons). But then, capris aren't an option for men's attire. At least you have a skirt option!

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 4

Good grief.

Our guidelines, which I've never in my life thought to look at, state:

Decorum is maintained in the courthouse and jurors should dress accordingly. Shorts, t-shirts, or clothing containing offensive language or imagery are not permitted.

... and, by "T-shirts," they must mean something like we retain the prerogative to remove you for offensive imagery or language on your T shirt, because I wear fitted tees just about every day, and other people showing up for jury duty definitely wore them as well.

Someone must have a bee in his bonnet about capris.  (I'm going with "his," here.)

• Like 2

That's what I was wondering!!!

And just reading that requirement riled up my issues with authority. I'd probably wear them to make a point and let them hold me in contempt of court. 

ETA: And I would happily consider a jury of my peers dressed all in capri pants! I'm not too good for capris!

I wouldn't go out of my way to dress crazy, but I would wear what I have.  They don't pay enough for me to buy new clothes. 

• Like 4

From my county court's Q&A page:

What should I wear to court?

Dress code should be business casual, but respectful of the court. Do not wear shorts, halter or tank tops, clothing that exposes the midriff, beachwear, sandals, or clothing with inappropriate graphics, logos or wordings.

I've always worn jeans. Most of the others did, too.  I just looked up the info on jury duty in our county and there are no clothing guidelines at all. They do state you can't bring food or drinks or a cell phone or other electronics.  I think they're just happy to have people show up. 

we could bring food and drinks - we could only eat them during breaks in the jury room.  not during deliberations.

• Like 1

The jury spends the whole time sitting in a box, no? How does anybody know whether you're wearing capris or long pants? I would think they'd want to exclude offensive t-shirts, but I don't see why shorts or capris would matter.

• Like 4

Given the particular court, many people who are being tried would probably not feel that a group of people in business or business casual clothing was a "jury of their peers."

I own capris that I think are nicer than some of my cool summer dresses--some that I wear even to teach MBA students during our oppressive summer heat.  I had something else I could easily grab from my closet to wear.  It just seemed odd to me that jeans with holes in them (with less total fabric than capris) were OK but capris were not.  The FBI t-shirt is OK but capris are not?  Sleeveless shirts revealing graphic, violent tattoos are OK, but capris are not?

So, I am guessing that the guideline didn't actually say "It is ok to weat t-shirts with skanky slogans."

I wonder if perhaps the guideline was written only to cover items that might not be obvious.  Perhaps whomever wrote it thoiught that it was obvious that such things were inappropriate, or they were getting questions about some items like capris and skorts.

• Like 1

Ok, but seriously, how can they set a dress code?  Is one supposed to have a certain social status or income level to be on a jury?  That doesn't seem right to me. 

I agree, to a certain extent.

I do though think that court is a really important part of our democratic institutions, and its important for those playing the role of jurors to look like they respect that - they are there to represent and create justice.

Some dress codes might be over the top, but, I don't have a hard time imagining that there are really people who don't get that they shouldn't wear clothes that they would wear to the club or the jeans they just wore to change the oil in their car.

• Like 3

Huh, it never occurred to me there might be a dress code (just as it would never occur to me to dress too informally for court), but yes, our county says: "Dress as you would to go to a business meeting or a social function. Do not wear shorts or tank tops. Check with the jury commissioner if you have any doubts."

So, I am guessing that the guideline didn't actually say "It is ok to weat t-shirts with skanky slogans."

I wonder if perhaps the guideline was written only to cover items that might not be obvious.  Perhaps whomever wrote it thoiught that it was obvious that such things were inappropriate, or they were getting questions about some items like capris and skorts.

It isn't just that this is written on the jury summons; it was announced at today and people were told to go speak to the clerk about rectifying the situation or they would have to come to duty another day.  Nothing was ever said about the t-shirts and the individuals.  It was a female judge handling the jury pool and a female judge presiding in the court room. 

Jury duty is confusing and overwhelming to many people.  I live in a county where you have to go to a large city downtown area, where many people are not used to driving downtown, find parking, walk a couple of blocks, find the correct building when things are not well marked, go through metal detectors, etc. to serve on a jury.  You are paid $6 but have to pay at least $2 to park--if there are still spaces in the county parking garage.  To tell people that you HAVE to be there but that you cannot wear something that would be standard clothing for the climate and community (even standard for people to wear to church or work) is an abuse of power.     

• Like 5

It isn't just that this is written on the jury summons; it was announced at today and people were told to go speak to the clerk about rectifying the situation or they would have to come to duty another day.  Nothing was ever said about the t-shirts and the individuals.  It was a female judge handling the jury pool and a female judge presiding in the court room. 

Jury duty is confusing and overwhelming to many people.  I live in a county where you have to go to a large city downtown area, where many people are not used to driving downtown, find parking, walk a couple of blocks, find the correct building when things are not well marked, go through metal detectors, etc. to serve on a jury.  You are paid $6 but have to pay at least $2 to park--if there are still spaces in the county parking garage.  To tell people that you HAVE to be there but that you cannot wear something that would be standard clothing for the climate and community (even standard for people to wear to church or work) is an abuse of power.     

Yeah, that sounds really stupid.  I find it really flummoxing sometimes how guidelines that seem like they could be implemented sensibly enough are just totally misused.

It seems like some people are completely unable to extrapolate beyond what is written down.  Like, skanky slogans are ok because they aren't mentioned?  Riiiight.

Edited by Bluegoat

I agree, to a certain extent.

I do though think that court is a really important part of our democratic institutions, and its important for those playing the role of jurors to look like they respect that - they are there to represent and create justice.

Some dress codes might be over the top, but, I don't have a hard time imagining that there are really people who don't get that they shouldn't wear clothes that they would wear to the club or the jeans they just wore to change the oil in their car.

So people with a limited or sub par wardrobe aren't respectful?

Maybe I should have been a lawyer. I love to argue.  LOL

• Like 5

Jurors are not there to make a fasion statement, ruffle feathers, or get attention. I think the dress codes are in place to make jurors look plain.

We forget the main focus of the trial is the defendent. If I were one, I would like a clean, tidy, and modestly dressed jury. Someones' life hangs in these peoples' hands, so yes I do think the focus should not be on them and that the jury should blend away in terms of appearance. It is kind of the same reason some schools have uniforms. Obviously, juries cannot have uniforms, but they can look uniform in a clean and professional sense.

Respect comes from the attitude of the person. There is nothing wrong with brands of clothing or its newness. All I would hope for a jury is for them to be neat, clean, and modest, and not look like they just mowed the lawn, worked out, or rolled out of bed.

There should be a standard of dress. There is one in pretty much every field - the court is no exception. If people are so hung up on dress for a jury, follow suit then and head into a job interview not dressed for the part one hoped to play in that school or company...but people do not because that is silly. We should extend the same courtesy to the people who make up the court and the defendant.

A jury of my peers is definitely going to include capri pants. In khaki because that is the official homeschool mom wardrobe around here (they have replaced denim jumpers). I think that it would also include athletic gear, yoga pants, leggings, and blue jeans.

How am I supposed to know I am being tried by a jury of my peers if there isn't a single pair of khaki Capri pants among the jurors?????

• Like 6

I am trying to think if I've seen a business suit with capri length pants. Usually when I think or see "capri" I think of a pair of shorter slacks, that could either be a demin or a linen or cotton I guess. But not necessarily the material used to make a suit. I'm sure nicer ones are out there, but I doubt they would want to get into all that. My associations with capris include them paired with sandals. This might be too casual for what they have in mind. Don't really know if they went as far as to say "closed toe shoes only" so that may or may not make a difference.

No, I don't consider capri pants to be unprofessional.

But I am rally interested in how they are going to determine something is a skort rather than a skirt.  On my skorts, the skirt parts covers the shorts part and you'd have to look up my skirt to determine there were shorts hidden under there.

• Like 4