Menu

June ACT results are online

Woo hoo!  My son increased his score by 4 points.  And he got a 34 on the reading section which is absolutely amazing and something I never would have believed possible considering his learning disabilities.  He is going to be so thrilled!  He's been having a bit of a rough time and I'm hoping this will give him a much needed confidence boost.  His score is now higher than his high-achieving younger sister's, who is always ten steps ahead of him, and that will also be extremely gratifying to him.  :laugh:

• Like 21

Woo hoo!  My son increased his score by 4 points.  And he got a 34 on the reading section which is absolutely amazing and something I never would have believed possible considering his learning disabilities.  He is going to be so thrilled!  He's been having a bit of a rough time and I'm hoping this will give him a much needed confidence boost.  His score is now higher than his high-achieving younger sister's, who is always ten steps ahead of him, and that will also be extremely gratifying to him.  :laugh:

That is fantastic!

• Like 1

We are thrilled! Three subscores well into the 30s, just the math was lower. He got the score he needed for excellent merit money at his first choice school, so that takes a lot of pressure off. He will take it again in September, to see if he can nudge it towards their top scholarship, but even if he doesn't exceed today's score, we're very very happy with this one.  :thumbup1:

• Like 13

Still waiting.

You and me both. I am not nervous about  it but I find it rather annoying they publish the vast majority of scores on one date and then some they just...do not score yet. Why? To conduct anthropological research on parents? :) Yes I know the window is until August. But not for almost anyone else?

I will confess I called because I do not put it below (or is above?) DS to misbubble his very complicated name or his ticket number or whatever. The lady was nice enough to look it up and just said "nope, not scored yet".

And his section (there were two non writing rooms) also had an extra reading section (for future tests, I gather), so he came out exhausted. The least you can do is score them along with the rest, ACT, since you're taking liberties with the free guinea pigs! :)

ETA that DS also told me the proctor (who was super nice otherwise) shorted them time in the science test (started clock while giving instructions. I wonder if anyone complained and I wonder if that's the delay. Mainly I need to stop wondering and get a life :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

To those whose student was a repeat test taker, how does one study/prep to improve test scores. My daughter took it for the first time and THOUGHT that she was prepared...

We used this book to prepare (though I have the older edition).  https://www.amazon.com/Official-ACT-Prep-Guide-2016/dp/1119225418/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498072833&sr=8-3&keywords=act

In my copy, there are five practice tests.  We just worked through the tests, going over the incorrect answers afterwards.  We never did more than a section a day.

Still waiting here too! 

I'm hoping for a 3-4 point bump from last year for the sophomore.  My kid is not a natural test take for the ACT.  It's all speed/focus related.  He's ceilinged tests in untimed formats.  He will do the PSAT this fall too, he was close enough last year to try for NM though we live in a "hard" state to win.   We'll see how it goes.  I may have him do the SAT next year too. 

• Like 3

We just got dd's results. She was staying at a friends house and had to text me the results ... she thought she had bombed a few sections, but ended up with a score she is very happy with. It is above the cutoff for several schools' top scholarships. She may take it again in September to boost her math score.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 12

We just got dd's results. She was staying at a friends house and had to text me the results ... she thought she had bombed a few sections, but ended up with a score she is very happy with. It is above the cutoff for several schools' top scholarships. She may take it again in September to boost her math score.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I thought they only came Wednesdays and Fridays...Never mind, happy for your good news!

My youngest DD received her scores yesterday. We're thrilled with a 34 English score, but her math and science are still in the 20's. She was at the top of her PreCal class (by quite a bit) and her Chemistry class this last year, but she is still struggling with the speed issue when it comes to the ACT. She's going to take an ACT/College Prep camp at her favorite university and see if she can learn some tricks to boost her speed.

She has the "average" ACT score now for admission to her preferred university, but she feels the need to prove herself with her math/science scores.

• Like 2

My youngest DD received her scores yesterday. We're thrilled with a 34 English score, but her math and science are still in the 20's. She was at the top of her PreCal class (by quite a bit) and her Chemistry class this last year, but she is still struggling with the speed issue when it comes to the ACT. She's going to take an ACT/College Prep camp at her favorite university and see if she can learn some tricks to boost her speed.

She has the "average" ACT score now for admission to her preferred university, but she feels the need to prove herself with her math/science scores.

My kid is very similar.  Nails the English and the rest comes down to a speed game.  He'd have no problem at all if it were untimed (or even a little longer).  We might have him do a more structured prep before he (hopefully) takes it for the last next spring.  I hate to spend that time on on it but when you're around a 30 it really can pay to have just 2-3 more points for some schools!   Good luck to your DD. 

ETA - we are still waiting for scores FTR.  ;)

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

Waiting as well, one day.. .I feel bad complaining because we are not waiting on scores for college acceptance reasons.

Neither are we but I don't feel bad about complaining 😂 There was something odd that happened in my kid's annual testing (one of the subscores was really off) and I want to see the ACT equivalent section score before I decide he misbubbled or something.
  • Like 1

My kids have totalled nine go rounds with the ACT and we have always gotten scores the first day they were available. Except once- I think they came late that day or maybe even the next day. It was super annoying to wait. Sorry for those who are still waiting!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

To those whose student was a repeat test taker, how does one study/prep to improve test scores. My daughter took it for the first time and THOUGHT that she was prepared...

This is what I suggest, especially if timing is an issue for any section.  Have your child take a practice test, allowing 10-15 minutes extra time.  Then your child should go over every answer, even if they got it right.  Sometimes they get the answer right, but for the wrong reason.  Then have your child slowing decrease the time allowed to take each test.  This helped enormously when my ds was taking the ACT.  He was able to raise his score from a 28 in 8th grade to eventually a 34 by the fall of his junior year.  He also used the Chalkdust review videos for math.  

My dd just took the June ACT.  She raised her score from a 23 at the end of 8th grade to a 28 for this past June by doing nothing (even though I implored her to study).  I hope to have her study like my ds did and to get her composite score into the 30s.  Practicing and getting the timing down really does help!  

• Like 1

So my dd asked an interesting question, she is wondering if the kids who had to take an extra section are the same kids who are still waiting for scores? She had an extra math section on her test. So she is wondering if those tests are taking longer to score. 

For those who have their scores already, did your test have an extra section?

So my dd asked an interesting question, she is wondering if the kids who had to take an extra section are the same kids who are still waiting for scores? She had an extra math section on her test. So she is wondering if those tests are taking longer to score. 

For those who have their scores already, did your test have an extra section?

She may be correct. DS had an extra reading section and we are still waiting 

Which, if true, is bad form, as far as I'm concerned (loading an extra section and then making you wait longer the score).

Those who have gone before, how long did your extra section kids have to wait?

Edited by madteaparty

My son got his scores. He did well enough to place into dual credit this fall, but not well enough for guaranteed admission at the university he's interested in. He'll take it again in November or December.

Those who have gone before, how long did your extra section kids have to wait?

My younger son had an extra section (reading) and still received his score on the first possible day last week. I do not understand why they release some scores and not all (when there is no apparent problem). It seems rather cruel. I'm already not a fan of the whole testing industry, and every "test prep" marketing email that ACT.org sends me makes me inwardly cringe...but that is another post for another day.

In my son's case we were pleased with his composite score, so as far as I'm concerned, he is one-and-done. WooHoo!  :hurray:

• Like 4

Still waiting here. The kid is stalking the site hoping for scores despite the announcement on the ACT student facebook page that scores were released in batches every Wednesday and Friday by 8am central time. She will take the test at least 2 more times, so these scores are not as important as they could be. I cannot imagine the stress of waiting for scores when there is an imminent college decision riding on them.  

We got scores yesterday.  Super happy with sophomore's score.  Up 4 composite from last year with a high of 35 in English.  I think we will have him try one more time next spring since he has a whole year and his math and science could come up a bit (he has speed issues on those sections).  But even if we were done now, we'd be in good shape! 

Hope everyone sees scores soon! 

• Like 7

Did anyone take it as young as end of 9th grade/beg of 10th grade as a litmus test and for practice?

We are thinking of doing that - b/c it seems to be very easy to delete an ACT score should you like to.

Anyone?

We took as litmus test but end of 7th grade. I can't get a straight answer as to whether we need to report ACT scores taken in middle school at the time one applies to college, so this score will probably be it for us until it's for real.

My rising 9th grader took it in April. My other kids have taken it at the end of 9th and mid year 10th.

It was good for us to know where they might stand with regards to admissions and scholarships and served as some sort of standardized testing and practice.

Some schools do request all scores but others you can just send your best. I really don't see the downside for my family. We do not do highly selective schools. The midranked LAC and state universities were shoot for are not going to care if there was a lower score for a younger kid.

But if you are looking at highly competitive schools that could be a whole different animal.

Did anyone take it as young as end of 9th grade/beg of 10th grade as a litmus test and for practice?

We are thinking of doing that - b/c it seems to be very easy to delete an ACT score should you like to.

Anyone?

My kid has tested every year since 7th grade I think through talent search through 9th (we did SAT in 7th, ACT 8th, 9th,10th).  And we used the EXPLORE prior to that.  This year in 10th was the first time we registered the "regular" way.  We have to test in our state anyway so the ACT is an easy way to do it.  My kid is NOT a natural tester that reveals good info for planning and I know this well since we started testing when he was 7.  When he was younger, he might hit ceilings in an early section and check out in a later section on a bubble test, timed or not.  And to this day, this still hurts him on the science section.

Anyway, I haven't thought too hard about this if we have to supply all scores.  But since he's done the ACT now 3 times I can say his scores naturally have gone up significantly every single time he's taken it in the spring of that year and are going to end very strong given the trend.  I guess if a competitive school wants to discount my kids excellent junior score because of an 8th or 9th grade score, whatever.  I think what they'd actually hate to see more is a kid take it 3-4+ times junior into senior year inching up points or with possible huge discrepancies.  I think if you want to be one and done, prep well for that first test and do some entire practice tests.  Each year we've done one practice test and the scores the kid has received have been very close to the practice score test. 

It has most DEFINITELY served my kid well to do it more than once. I was one and done when I took it and though I had a good score, my GPA and class rank were higher than my ACT score reflected.  We're not going to encourage kid to pick an expensive competitive school for undergrad and those high scores can make a big difference in merit aid at moderately competitive schools.

• Like 1

Anyone?

My dd took it at the end of 8th to qualify for the CTY program. From what I understand, you can delete any of your ACT scores that you want to.

• Like 1

Anyone?

My daughter who just took it in June has either just finished 8th or 9th depending on when we decide to graduate her (she just turned 14). I had her take the ACT this summer for a couple of reasons. The first is practice. The other is that she would like to graduate at late 16/early 17, depending on when she finishes up that year. I do not want her going off to college at a young 17. We have a decent college in town that gives free tuition for kids with an ACT of 32 or higher. I wanted to see if that was as reasonable a goal as I thought it might be for her. Based on her score, I think we will be able to consider an option where I can have her take classes there the year she is 17.

• Like 1

My 14 year old 8th grader took it for the second year. She did absolutely no prep work. I just wanted her to have the experience. Starting next year, we will be prepping. She did poorly on the science section, but she hasn't had any real chemistry or physics. But her reading score was a 23. Over all, she had a commendable score for an 8th grader.

• Like 1

On the waiting... The worst is having identical twins who are both shooting for a 30 composite. Twin A gets her score back right away. Gets the 30. Meanwhile, twin B has to wait weeks to get her score. We check every Wed and Fri. We wait and wait. We even called ACT (or emailed I can't remember). It was agonizing. They took the test in the same room! Twin B finally got her score and it was also a 30, so happy ending. All we could figure is that they flagged her answer sheet for some reason?? Like maybe they pull a few to grade by hand to double check every once in a while? Or she messed up filling in some piece of info on the answer sheet? We never knew the reason. 

DD16 got her scores back. This was her first time taking it. She got a 28 so she is super motivated to take it again. Huge relief for me because she has ADD-inattentive type. I thought the ACT might be a nightmare for her. It can take her hours to complete routine homework assignments for her tutorial classes. Especially math. I think she had some nervous adrenaline working in her favor.

• Like 2