What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

How many weeks is your area's summer reading program?

17 replies to this topic

Poll: How many weeks is your area's summer reading program? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How many weeks is your summer reading program?

1. 3-4 weeks (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. 5-6 weeks (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 7-8 weeks (22 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

4. 9-10 weeks (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. other (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

What's with the ads?

#1 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12338 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

If your public library (or I guess any group) has a summer reading program and you are familiar with it, how long does it last? I don't know if it's my age or if a month long sounds short to anyone else. What I mean is, seems like when I was a kid the program lasted a longer part of the summer. Maybe it did, in that town. But here, it's basically a month long. This always messes us up when we're creating the book goal. I didn't realize the end date was attached to the form so I just told ds, "it's not the whole summer" and didn't realize it was really a month, give or take a few days. His goal was way too ambitious lol.

I'll leave it up to you to round to the nearest week or choose other.

#2 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27125 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

I chose 7-8, though it might be 9-10.  My kids got off school on June 6 and the program ends in early August.  It might have started before June 6, but that doesn't do anything for kids still in school.  :p

I think it was 10 weeks when I was a kid, but back then, summer vacation was more like 12 weeks; now it's 10.  :/

#3 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27125 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

I agree that 1 month is kind of ridiculous.

Look online for some other options that last longer.  You can do more than 1 book club and just use the same books.  :)

#4 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9681 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

This will blow your mind...

My local library completely closes in the summer.
  • beckyjo, Gaillardia and eternalsummer like this

#5 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27125 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

WHAAAAT!?

We are so spoiled in this country to even have a public library system.  I need to remember that.  :)

• eternalsummer likes this

#6 Caroline

Caroline

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5607 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

That does blow my mind. How far is it to your nearest library? (I really am nosey and your life in BBNP fascinates me.)
  • SusanC likes this

#7 beckyjo

beckyjo

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

Most of ours start first week in June and go until end of July/first week in August.

• heartlikealion likes this

#8 beckyjo

beckyjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

I would suffer withdrawal symptoms! We're at the library at least 3 times per week during the summer.

#9 strawberries

strawberries

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

I picked other because this year ours is longer than 10 weeks. It started in May before school even let out and ends August 12, five days after school starts again.

#10 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9681 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

That does blow my mind. How far is it to your nearest library? (I really am nosey and your life in BBNP fascinates me.)

It's in the little town about 25 miles away.

There is another public library 80 miles beyond that, or roughly 100 miles from me. It is open all summer.

#11 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11795 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

Six. School ends this week, and August is popular for family vacation so six is the max it can be.

#12 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12338 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

Wow! The times/days have dwindled at ours. It's only open two days a week year round. I'm starting to think maybe the reason they make it only a month is because each week they have a program. I'm looking forward to the one with large live birds.

I agree that 1 month is kind of ridiculous.

Look online for some other options that last longer.  You can do more than 1 book club and just use the same books.  :)

I don't know if there are any longer programs, but we can reuse the book list I guess lol. Dh signed him up for some year long Book It program with Pizza Hut. I need to start recording those books for this month.

They changed the rules for this year. We didn't do it last year so I don't know when they made the change, but you have to use books from the library. We used to just read whatever. Luckily they do have a series there he enjoys and the books aren't that long so if he wants he can finish them quickly.

#13 Desert Strawberry

Desert Strawberry

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

we take part in 3. they last 4 to 6 weeks. The wealthier the town, the longer and more involved the program.

Our modest little town has 4 weeks, inexpensive prizes, few events, and mostly cheap stuff like movies, a game day, a couple of story times. The prizes are mostly donations of tickets, like a ticket to the ostrich farm, a cookie from the bakery, or a pass to the town pool. 

The city program is well funded, lasts 8 weeks, gives weekly prizes as well as the prizes at the end, raffles off bikes, and other higher end prizes, and has multiple events each day. 

#14 SusanC

SusanC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3128 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Look online for some other options that last longer. You can do more than 1 book club and just use the same books. :)

When we've done more than one program in the past I've told my children before signing up that I expected each program to have it's own books and/or reading time. Hey kids, if you are going to collect plastic stuff, junk food coupons, our cheap paperbacks I want you to really earn them!! I'm not sure why this is a principle I felt the need to stand on so firmly, I mean we are talking, what, a free kids size cheese pizza? Plus, the restaurant gets my business as a bonus.

My kids didn't care much, they read enough for a few programs anyway.

#15 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27125 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

When we've done more than one program in the past I've told my children before signing up that I expected each program to have it's own books and/or reading time. Hey kids, if you are going to collect plastic stuff, junk food coupons, our cheap paperbacks I want you to really earn them!! I'm not sure why this is a principle I felt the need to stand on so firmly, I mean we are talking, what, a free kids size cheese pizza? Plus, the restaurant gets my business as a bonus.

I have a kid who needs all the incentive she can get.  :p

The ones I'm planning to cash in on are Barnes & Noble (1 free book if you read 8), Books-a-Million (1 plastic water bottle if you read 4 books on their list), Sylvan's online (I set the rewards myself - $), and the library (maybe a Chipotle coupon)?  Not really tugging at my conscience right now.  :p  Especially since you know I'm gonna end up spending money when we cash in at the bookstores & Chipotle.  I mean, that's the whole point for the sponsors, right?

#16 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12338 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

When he started he was reading a lot. Maybe 1-2 books a day for a day or so there. So it's not like he could really add more to the list easily. If he turns in a paper for the Pizza Hut thing, we might just wait til next month and have him start all over with new books. But this time allow him to read books at the house.

#17 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37114 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Three months

#18 rebcoola

rebcoola

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

11 weeks basically June 1st- Aug 19th.  But is not just reading any more you have to attend a certain number of events, create things and read to get entered for the full grand prize and a free ticket to the fair.  Their are smaller prizes for each section.