Menu

ARGH!!!! Update on my crazy puppy

ktgrok

Just came home to find he had broken out of his crate and was STUCK in the freaking blinds at the front window. Totally stuck, lucky he hadn't killed himself. I need a xanax. Blinds are ruined of course. Dog appears uninjured and is back in his crate, totally sleeping off his latest misadventure.

Yesterdat he chewed up the remote and my daughter's favorite shirt.

• Like 2

Just came home to find he had broken out of his crate and was STUCK in the freaking blinds at the front window. Totally stuck, lucky he hadn't killed himself. I need a xanax. Blinds are ruined of course. Dog appears uninjured and is back in his crate, totally sleeping off his latest misadventure.

Yesterdat he chewed up the remote and my daughter's favorite shirt.

Maybe it's your pup that needs the xanax...

• Like 7

Oh my. I think pup needs a bunch more exercise. Or a xanax

Yeah, yesterday and today he only got a brisk walk..a bit over a mile. I was gone most of yesterday, but the teen was home with him but didn't exercise him. Today I planned to take him to the park in the evening. 

• Like 1

Does he have separation anxiety?

A bit. He had been better but I was gone all day yesterday (I'm his person) so that on top of leaving him today was too much I guess. Plus, I originally was going to bring him with us, but then my son had too much stuff and we didn't have room, so he got excited to go with, then got put back in the kennel. 

Hubby isn't going to be happy though. 

This dog is two steps forward, one step back. 

Sorry for your blinds. I just had to laugh.  I could just picture the scene.  Something straight out of Dog Shaming.  You have my sympathy.  My Bear did his share of destructive things (2 pair of shoes, 2 computer mice, a cell phone, hole in new couch (dd sewed it up but it is still noticeable), countless disappearing sandwiches, and dd's new addidas running clothes.)  But he is just so darned cute, I couldn't stay mad at him ... only at the humans who didn't keep things safe and keep him safe from the destruction.  We never did have issues of crate houdini antics... most things were when humans were just out of sight for a moment.   

• Like 1

Well, it was the front window so I saw him when I drove up. Then realized there was a problem when he stayed there rather than running to the door. When I got to him he tried to run to me, further tightening the blinds. Sigh. I had to wrestle him to get him out. 

Now he's exhausted, so I guess I can skip the park and just pick up the house. So there is that. 

• Like 1

He looks so clueless as to how he got into that scrape. I assume the sad, clueless face is deployed often with the messes he is getting himself in :lol:

We live in a huge rural subdivision and except when everyone is going to work or coming home there usually isn't much traffic. On rare occasions I have seen people on bicycles or motorcycles exercising their dogs with the dog on a leash. Possibly that would work with your puppy?

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Sorry for your blinds. I just had to laugh.  I could just picture the scene.  Something straight out of Dog Shaming.  You have my sympathy.  My Bear did his share of destructive things (2 pair of shoes, 2 computer mice, a cell phone, hole in new couch (dd sewed it up but it is still noticeable), countless disappearing sandwiches, and dd's new addidas running clothes.)  But he is just so darned cute, I couldn't stay mad at him ... only at the humans who didn't keep things safe and keep him safe from the destruction.  We never did have issues of crate houdini antics... most things were when humans were just out of sight for a moment.   

the husky in the sofa came immediately to mind for me . . .

• Like 2

So, we figured out that his new, extra large crate just isn't as sturdy, and he pushed the one side out just enough to squeeze out! Going to zip tie it before I leave him alone again. And we are working on spending more time calmly in the crate when we are home as well. 

He's currently on a long stay on his bed, chewing a yak's milk bone. We spent quite a bit of time heeling and working on obedience today. He has a pretty heel now...for an overgrown hound anyway. 

• Like 3

In good news Lowes had the right blinds in stock for a decent price. Ordered online last night and picked up today. I had the dog go with me, and he did a nice heel, and then did a sit/stay pretty well while I handled the transaction. He also got to play with his best doggy friend at the park today, so is happily sleeping in his crate. Which has been reinforced with zip ties where he'd pushed it apart previously. 

• Like 1

Also, I'm thinking I need a sign like you see in workplaces, where it says "it has been ___ days without an accident", except "___ days since Tracker destroyed something."

:lol: 

I showed dh the pics of him last night all tangled up in the baby's toy and then read your post about the blinds.....we both thought it was so cute...but I said to him, 'I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog, right honey?'

I miss my dog so much. 

:lol:

I showed dh the pics of him last night all tangled up in the baby's toy and then read your post about the blinds.....we both thought it was so cute...but I said to him, 'I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog, right honey?'

I miss my dog so much. 

It is definitely cuter when it is someone else's dog, lol. Especially when you don't have to pay for new blinds :)

He was SO stuck too...I had to wrestle him to get him out. He had put his front paws all the way through, so the string was around his abdomen. Sigh. I may take a photo for that dog shaming website of the destruction he left. Thank heavens he didn't tangle it around his neck!

SaveSave

We were told that crating was not a good thing to do with a dog with separation anxiety.  Our dog bent the bars of his crate and was getting injured every time he was left in the crate.   He does much better out of the crate.   

We had a script from the vet that didn't help much, but Melatonin works really well.  We only give it to him if we'll be out for a while or there's going to be thunderstorms.