Menu

How do you place books on a bookshelf?

Night Elf

There's a picture in my newspaper today of a man sitting at his desk with several bookshelves behind him. The books on the shelves are placed on their sides horizontally. It looks messy. Is there some advantage to having them placed that way instead of vertically?

• Like 1

If the books are short, like paperbacks, and the shelf is tall, it is a good use of space to stack them up.  But it's harder to get at the books that way.  With kids, I can just see them going for a lower book and knocking all the other ones down, and leaving them there.  :P

I generally have my books standing up where you can see the back binding.  Some tall books don't fit that way, so I lay them down, and you can't tell what those books are.

Totally thought this thread was going to be about different ways of putting on a bra....   :lol:

To answer the question - most of our books are "normal" in the bookshelves, but if I'm running out of space or the book is too large, I'll start a horizontal stack. 

• Like 2

I do not think you would ever walk into a library and see books that are not Vertical, unless they are oversize and too tall for that.  

You also wouldn't walk into a library and see a kitchen, a bag of laundry, or a bed. There are many differences between our homes and public libraries. Among other things, libraries weed more frequently than I do! (And they've got rotary bookcases. Gosh, I could use a few dozen of those.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1