Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW25: June Solstice

Robin M

I read The Secret Pearl by Mary Balogh this morning. It was one of the best historical romances I've read. That led me to find this list https://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2013/09/trysting-with-heroes-mary-baloghs-betas which Kareni and Amy will enjoy. I checked out one that will lead me to one of the heros this afternoon. The need to read in order can be a pain! ;)

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed The Secret Pearl, mumto2!  Thanks for the link; I enjoyed the article.  It appears that I've read eight of the ten books mentioned; I guess that makes me a Mary Balogh fan.  My favorite on that particular list is Simply Love.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I think some here might enjoy this review from the SBTB site.  The comments are informative, too.

Keeper Shelf: Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster by Louise Rose

"Jean Webster—Alice Jane Chandler Webster (1876-1916) if you want to be stuffy about it—was a grandniece of Mark Twain, and it shows. She died relatively young; Daddy-Long-Legs is her best-known book.

Trigger warning: Daddy-Long-Legs came out in 1911. If you look at it with modern eyes, you may find something creepy and even stalkerish in the way the love story plays out. Therefore, do not look at it with modern eyes. Really. I mean it.

Meet our heroine. Jerusha Abbott was raised in an orphanage. (Spoiler alert: We never learn who she “really†is. It is not that kind of book.) In her last year of high school she writes an essay about “Blue Wednesdayâ€, the day the orphanage’s trustees come to visit. The management are Not Amused … but one of the trustees is. In fact he is so amused, he arranges for Jerusha to go to college to be educated as a writer. The only condition: She must write to him regularly. Her letters—with wonderfully crude stick-figure illustrations—make up the rest of the book...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

Today I finished The Eye of Minds by James Dashner (he's the Maze Runner series author).  It was surprisingly good.  It's the first of a series and while I don't feel like I must read the rest right away, I am curious where it goes.  It took almost the first half to get into it and then I could barely put it down.  It's about teenagers quite a ways in the future (100-ish years) who go into the "sleep" all the time in the VirtNet which is virtual reality games and hanging out.  One of the kids is asked to be one of many to try to track down a guy who is causing problems but it nearly impossible to find.  I really didn't see the end coming.

• Like 13

Several currently free Kindle books ~

I liked this one (Runner Up, Finalist and Honorable Mention 2015 Rainbow Awards-- Gay Paranormal Romance) ~ Wolves of Black Pine (The Wolfkin Saga Book 1)  by SJ Himes

urban fantasy ~  Stronger Than Magic: An Elemental Fantasy Series (House of Xannon Book 1) by Melinda VanLone

romantic suspense ~  The Second Man  by Emelle Gamble

contemporary romance (I haven't read this but like another series by this author) ~ Time for Love (Gansett Island Series Book 9)  by Marie Force

mystery ~  Big Numbers (Austin Carr Mystery Book 1) by Jack Getze

inspirational romance novella ~  Then Came You: A Bradford Sisters Novella  by Becky Wade

historical romance ~  Behind a Lady's Smile (Lost Heiresses)  by Jane Goodger

fantasy ~   Ink Witch (Kat Dubois Chronicles Book 1)  by Lindsey Fairleigh

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Re: Rebecca. I know so many love it.

My book club read it years & years ago & I didn't even finish it because it seemed like an awful slog. Am I missing something?

The first half of the book makes you wondering why this book is so good, why it is actually is called a love roman when they marry already in the beginning :o  and the first half can be a slog indeed

It is the second half that changes everything and has several unexpected turnings....

So if you stopped reading before the second half, you might be missing something, although I don't think it is a absolute 'must absolute read once in a lifetime' book :)

• Like 12

I think some here might enjoy this review from the SBTB site.  The comments are informative, too.

"Jean Webster—Alice Jane Chandler Webster (1876-1916) if you want to be stuffy about it—was a grandniece of Mark Twain, and it shows. She died relatively young; Daddy-Long-Legs is her best-known book.

Trigger warning: Daddy-Long-Legs came out in 1911. If you look at it with modern eyes, you may find something creepy and even stalkerish in the way the love story plays out. Therefore, do not look at it with modern eyes. Really. I mean it.

Meet our heroine. Jerusha Abbott was raised in an orphanage. (Spoiler alert: We never learn who she “really†is. It is not that kind of book.) In her last year of high school she writes an essay about “Blue Wednesdayâ€, the day the orphanage’s trustees come to visit. The management are Not Amused … but one of the trustees is. In fact he is so amused, he arranges for Jerusha to go to college to be educated as a writer. The only condition: She must write to him regularly. Her letters—with wonderfully crude stick-figure illustrations—make up the rest of the book...."

Regards,

Kareni

No one will be at all surprised to hear that I am a Daddy Long Legs fan. It's one my mom handed to me at some point. Dd loved it as a preteen too.

I had no idea that Jean Webster was a niece of Mark Twain. That definitely would have made my radar screen because my favourite teacher growing up was also related to him. Second cousins (I think)....she was a young child when he died. She was quite elderly but absolutely fabulous. She had retired once from somewhere else but came back to teach my class because of a huge teacher shortage. She read Tom Sawyer as a read aloud.

Re: Rebecca. I know so many love it.

My book club read it years & years ago & I didn't even finish it because it seemed like an awful slog. Am I missing something?

It's the long lead in to the good part. I saw the movie first so suspected it was worth the wait. I have actually reread it a couple of times since and am always shocked at how boring the start is.

• Like 14

I have one of my mom's old copies of this but I've never read it. I know that she loved it as a girl. We found two copies in her house after she passed away, so my sister and I both have one. Maybe I'll read it this summer...

• Like 12

A one day only currently free Kindle classic ~

First Love by Ivan Turgenev

"A timeless tale of youth, love, and loss, masterfully rendered by Ivan Turgenev

Vladimir Petrovich and his friends are gathered at a party recounting stories of their first loves. Vladimir tells a vivid tale of unrequited adolescent passion: When he was sixteen, he met the beautiful twenty-one-year-old Zinaida Alexandrovna Zasyekina and fell head over heels. Unfortunately for Vladimir, several other—more eligible—suitors also hoped to win the affections of the beautiful Zinaida.

An assured classic, Turgenev’s poignant novella follows young Vladimir through the peaks of ecstatic ardor and the valleys of bitter disappointment, concluding in inevitable tragedy."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I just realized I finished spelling out PEARL for this month's birthstone!

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

The Eye of Minds

An Affair to Dismember

Remaining Me

Lucky Man

Hmm, I did too, but only if I take advantage of the ridiculously long subtitles for two of my books . . . I will have to see if I can get an "A" and an "L" in a more legitimate manner!  :lol:

• Like 13

Thank you, Jane for sending Ill Wind. I'll enjoy reading it.  Both my son and hubby called me at the shop asking Who is Jane and why is she sending you something. Can we open it?   :lol:   Poor guys, they can't stand unopened packages. I made them wait until I got home.

Finished Relic.  Writing wise kinds of falls in between James Patterson and Lee Child.  

Since we started watching Dr. Who, James has introduced me to some of the spin offs.  I like Sara Jane Smith however Torchwood is a bit too dark for me.

We're continuing to almost boil at 103 ish + temps but can't complain since my dad is in AZ in boiling 120 degrees.  We'll send the heat eastward to ya'll in the next week or so to chase the rain away.    

• Like 14

Just finished Pearl S. Buck's Pavilion of Women for my June birthstone read.  Loved it!   I'd only read the Good Earth by her, which I liked, but I liked this one even better.   I chose this one of Buck's based on Goodreads reviews, most of which mentioned how much they loved Madame Wu's character, and I have to agree. 5 stars. :)

Finally put aside Ficciones - it's actually two shorter volumes combined, which had first been published separately.  I finished the first volume, and have marked off that book (El jardín de los senderos que se birfurcan/The Garden of Forking Paths) as read, and am not bothering with the second. I know they're so supposed to be so awesome, but I found them very so self-congratulatory and Clever.  Very meta.  Blergh, so what.  You know, they probably were all cutting edge and that, but I just find that stuff annoying at this point.  The first volume is very short (just under 100 pages), can I still count it for Argentinian author on Big Bingo, do you think?   I've been reading a lot of chunksters, and am inclined not to feel too overly guilty of one short book...

• Like 15

Yesterday I read a new contemporary romance by Jen McKinley called About a Dog (Yes, I needed an A for a challenge). It was quite good :) the first in a new romance series called Bluff Point. Jen McKinley is quite a prolific Cozy author who I have read occasionally but never really connected with. This series I will continue I think....

• Like 14

Just butting in to say..... Thank you SO much to those who gave reviews about News of the World ~ Paulette Jiles.  I enjoyed it so much that I managed to coerce my husband into reading it as well :thumbup1: .  Ranks as a 5/5 here, and I'm now scheduling it in for both DC to enjoy.

• Like 18

Just finished Pearl S. Buck's Pavilion of Women for my June birthstone read.  Loved it!   I'd only read the Good Earth by her, which I liked, but I liked this one even better.   I chose this one of Buck's based on Goodreads reviews, most of which mentioned how much they loved Madame Wu's character, and I have to agree. 5 stars. :)

Finally put aside Ficciones - it's actually two shorter volumes combined, which had first been published separately.  I finished the first volume, and have marked off that book (El jardín de los senderos que se birfurcan/The Garden of Forking Paths) as read, and am not bothering with the second. I know they're so supposed to be so awesome, but I found them very so self-congratulatory and Clever.  Very meta.  Blergh, so what.  You know, they probably were all cutting edge and that, but I just find that stuff annoying at this point.  The first volume is very short (just under 100 pages), can I still count it for Argentinian author on Big Bingo, do you think?   I've been reading a lot of chunksters, and am inclined not to feel too overly guilty of one short book...

I can't stand Borges. For all the reasons you describe. I suppose I could use him for the "author you think you hate" square, but other than that, I'm done trying to appreciate him.

The Big Bingo is for fun only. You are the one who decides the rules for it.

:iagree: Anything goes! It's a fun way to challenge yourself to read things you wouldn't otherwise. I've counted tons of plays and a few novellas amongst the chunksters. Also re-reads. And some of my category assignments are . . . creative.

Just butting in to say..... Thank you SO much to those who gave reviews about News of the World ~ Paulette Jiles.  I enjoyed it so much that I managed to coerce my husband into reading it as well :thumbup1: .  Ranks as a 5/5 here, and I'm now scheduling it in for both DC to enjoy.

Not butting in at all, this is what we do here! Share our opinions - good and bad - about what we're reading, and find our own new treasures from the suggestions of our friends. I'm glad you liked News of the World so much! It's one of my top reads of this year, too.

• Like 16

I am currently enjoying two nonfiction books:

Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family. This is the true story of a transgender girl (who is also an identical twin) and her family. Very well written. This is my book club book.

The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia. This has been on my TBR list for a long time. I think Michael Booth wrote about Denmark with great insight. My experience mirrored his experience in many ways - I felt that more with this book than I did with The Year of Living Danishly. Unfortunately he, like so many others I met who live in Copenhagen, was dismissive of the rest of Denmark. I lived in a northern Danish city and found it to be delightful and vibrant. And there was hardly a mention about Greenland or the Faroe Islands, which was a disappointment.

I have also learned a ton about Finland, the Scandinavian country I am least familiar with. If you are interested in Scandinavia beyond the utopian portrayal, I highly recommend this book.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 14

<snip>

Scoutermom, how's the book you got to read today?

And sending a shout-out to any lurkers that came over from Quill's thread about when do you abandon a book... come on in & join the discussion! All are welcome.

It's actually quite captivating. I had no idea what the book would beabout since I just grabbed it based on the cover. It's bounces back and forth between the Argentinian revolution in the 1970's and today. It's historical fiction with a magical twist (the main character is clairvoyant) and I find myself looking up the references to names, places, and events. I think I'm going to end up watching Evita this afternoon to get some perspective.Evita has already died in the book so she doesn't play an active role but the references to her influence over her husband and the political environment are there. 

The author, Ingrid Betancourt, is a politician (ran for the presidency in Colombia) and was a political prisoner for six years. She has written a memoir, Even Silence Has an End, and I may look that up at some point.

• Like 14

It's actually quite captivating. I had no idea what the book would beabout since I just grabbed it based on the cover. It's bounces back and forth between the Argentinian revolution in the 1970's and today. It's historical fiction with a magical twist (the main character is clairvoyant) and I find myself looking up the references to names, places, and events. I think I'm going to end up watching Evita this afternoon to get some perspective.Evita has already died in the book so she doesn't play an active role but the references to her influence over her husband and the political environment are there. 

The author, Ingrid Betancourt, is a politician (ran for the presidency in Colombia) and was a political prisoner for six years. She has written a memoir, Even Silence Has an End, and I may look that up at some point.

I was looking at that book, and contemplating adding it to my to-read list, and found myself possibly unreasonably annoyed that it had been written in French (a language I do not read well) rather than Spanish (a language that I do).  I mean, she's Argentinean, and later ran for office in Colombia - why is she writing in French???  :glare: 

LOL, but if it's good, I may still add it - in English, I guess, as it apparently hasn't even been translated to Spanish yet???!  Have you read Kiss of the Spider Woman?

I just the other day went to a dance performance (like a story ballet, but instead of ballet, the story was told in tango), about the time of the desaparecidos and the aftermath.  It was very good (called Arrabel).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

I was looking at that book, and contemplating adding it to my to-read list, and found myself possibly unreasonably annoyed that it had been written in French (a language I do not read well) rather than Spanish (a language that I do). I mean, she's Argentinean, and later ran for office in Colombia - why is she writing in French??? :glare:

LOL, but if it's good, I may still add it - in English, I guess, as it apparently hasn't even been translated to Spanish yet???! Have you read Kiss of the Spider Woman?

I just the other day went to a dance performance (like a story ballet, but instead of ballet, the story was told in tango), about the time of the desaparecidos and the aftermath. It was very good (called Arrabel).

Ingrid Betancourt is French - Columbiaan.

French supposed to be her first language.

• Like 11

A one day only currently free Kindle classic ~

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

"A groundbreaking feminist masterpiece and one of the most exquisite horror stories in American literature

Diagnosed by her physician husband with a “temporary nervous depression—a slight hysterical tendency†after the birth of her child, a woman is urged to rest for the summer in an old colonial mansion. Forbidden from doing work of any kind, she spends her days in the house’s former nursery, with its barred windows, scratched floor, and peeling yellow wallpaper.

In a private journal, the woman records her growing obsession with the “horrid†wallpaper. Its strange pattern mutates in the moonlight, revealing what appears to be a human figure in the design. With nothing else to occupy her mind, the woman resolves to unlock the mystery of the wallpaper. Her quest, however, leads not to the truth, but into the darkest depths of madness.

A masterly use of the unreliable narrator and a scathing indictment of patriarchal medical practices, The Yellow Wallpaper is a true American classic."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Ingrid Betancourt is French - Columbiaan.

French supposed to be her first language.

But she must have grown up there? At the very least they apparently must not have a law like the US that you have to be born in the country to be president, then?

Weird reading about South America in French.  I also find it weird reading Isabel Allende's novels set in the US in Spanish - the sudden English names are jarring.

• Like 12

But she must have grown up there? At the very least they apparently must not have a law like the US that you have to be born in the country to be president, then?

Weird reading about South America in French. I also find it weird reading Isabel Allende's novels set in the US in Spanish - the sudden English names are jarring.

Yes, she grew up(?) in Paris.

I always hear her french speaking in our news items, so my first reaction was:

'Of course she writes in French' ;)

• Like 12

An enjoyable post from the Word Wenches site by author Susanna Kearsley  ~

Carpet Bags and White Kid Gloves

"Susanna here, packing my things for tomorrow’s flight to the Historical Novel Society conference in Portland.

During these few days while I’ve been getting all my things in order—doing laundry, making lists, and sorting through potential outfits—I’ve been wondering how the women of the past prepared for their trips. So I turned to our old friend Miss Leslie, who you may remember gave such great advice on how to deal with lady authors.

And she didn’t disappoint. In Miss Leslie’s Behaviour Book: A Guide and Manual for Ladies (1864), and her earlier Miss Leslie’s Lady’s House-Book: A Manual of Domestic Economy (1850), I found many useful travel tips.

First, for the packing, “It is best,†Miss Leslie writes, “to have a bonnet boxâ€.

As luck would have it, I do have a hat box that I’m taking down with me to Portland, to carry the regency turban hat I made to wear for the dancing on Saturday night. So I’m off to a great start, by Miss Leslie’s standards.

She gives detailed instructions for packing a trunk: First a towel, then a layer of “hard flat things†such as books and writing desks, then another towel, then a layer of linen, flannels, stockings and gloves, then another towel, then “your dresses, the muslin ones uppermost; filling in the corners with pocket handkerchiefsâ€, topped by “pelerines, collars, and capsâ€, the whole covered with one last thin towel. Which actually, again, sounds just like how I pack a suitcase, though in place of all the towels I use tissue paper...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

After posting yesterday about (the no longer free but on sale) Wolves of Black Pine (The Wolfkin Saga Book 1) by SJ Himes, I was motivated to re-read the book which I enjoyed once again.  Be aware that there is much violence in the book.  I then splurged and bought the newly released sequel, Wolf of the Northern Star (The Wolfkin Saga Book 2), which I also read and enjoyed.  I'll post the blurb for the first book so as to not give away too much detail about the sequel.  (Significant adult content)  I'd be happy to read more by this author.

"**Book will be on SALE at $2.99 from June 19th, 2017 to July 5, 2017, then will return to full price.**

Runner Up, Finalist and Honorable Mention 2015 Rainbow Awards-- Gay Paranormal Romance

An ancient civilization long hidden from humanity is on the brink of chaos and war. Peaceful for thousands of years, the wolfkin clans are mysteriously losing packmates, kidnapped and killed by unknown foes.

The nightmare begins with an ambush by humans at a gathering of their kind, and lives are lost. Among them is Luca, youngest grandson of the two most powerful wolves in the Northern Clans. Thought long dead and gone, he is forced into a half-life, hidden in the far northern wilds of Canada and cut off from his kind. Those who raised him have no idea the creature they harbor in their midst, and name him Ghost. He begins to lose himself over the long years, and though he barely recalls his true name, the one wolf he never forgets is Kane.

Kane, Heir to the wolfkin clan Black Pine, is charged with hunting down the traitors who betrayed their kind to the humans. Years fly by, and more wolves are dying. He refuses to give up, and he vows to never again fail another of their kind, as he failed young Luca years before. His heart tells him Luca lives, but his mind tells him that it’s foolish hope, his guilt eating him alive.
Fate and magic change the course of their lives, and the two wolves long separated by the years find their paths intertwining. Though the gift of their reunion doesn’t come without price. Faced by the consequences of their growing love, and the goddess-forged bond between them, Kane and Ghost are besieged on all sides. Enemies are coming for their blood, and without the steadfast loyalty and love of family and friends, they may not be safe from the very people they fight to protect."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

This book, which I'm fairly certain I read back in the seventies, is currently free.

One Way to Venice by Jane Aiken Hodge

"Following a bitter divorce and separation from her son, Julia finds herself broken and alone.

Soon, she starts receiving a series of anonymous and menacing letters urging her to find her missing son in Venice.

Despite the danger involved, Julia has no choice but to follow the taunting messages.

With her miserable days in La Rivière still looming over her, she ventures to Italy on a train.

But she can’t shake the feeling that the letters were written by someone she knows, someone playing an awful and dangerous game.

Meanwhile, Julia meets a handsome stranger on the train, but does she dare fall for him?

In the mystical and unfamiliar city of Venice, who can she trust?

The journey to Venice brings a new friendship, an old confrontation and, above all, danger. But there is also the hope of happiness, if Julia can fight her way out of the conspiracy around her…"

‘Jane Aiken Hodge captures interest from the start. A good holiday read-in Venice or anywhere'. - EVENING STANDARD

Also currently free ~ 

The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte  by Ruth Hull Chatlien

Meticulously researched, engrossing in detail, and full of the customs, values, and prejudices of the era, Chatlien's novel brings to life crucial moments in history alongside Betsy's quest for recognition.... A solid example of its genre, this account of one woman's stubborn determination will appeal to romance aficionados and historical devotees alike.

--Publishers Weekly, starred review, May 26, 2014

MORE:

The Variant Saga: Books 1 - 4 (The Variant Saga Boxset)  by JN Chaney

Still Life With Murder  by P.B. Ryan

She Sings of Old, Unhappy, Far-off Things  by Caren J. Werlinger

Heartless  by Sarah Goodwin

Save the Date  by Annabeth Albert

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I finished two books this morning: Brave New World Revisited, a set of essays discussing the social & political issues raised in BNW & 1984. I liked it better than BNW. Huxley had a good grasp of psychology and was frighteningly prescient in his predictions. Too bad his essays didn't have as much impact as his novel did.

I also finished Communism for Kids, translated from the German. I'll copy over what I wrote on goodreads: I have to give this book a mixed review: the "for kids" part, defining basic economic terms and communism & capitalism, was great. The second part, the trials, was ok - it would have been more effective had there been a stronger connection drawn between the two parts. The epilogue was essentially unreadable, though I'm sympathetic to the sentiments. I don't know if it's a translation issue or if the original language was a dense and opaque as the english translation is. I think we'll use the first part in our Economics class next year. I may have to read the epilogue several more times before I get it.

• Like 15

I keep getting more and more behind on this week's thread. I've been reading posts but each time I plan to respond I put it off.

Anyway, I finished two books recently. After a few days on antibiotics I started to feel better and read a fluff book, then I got back to meatier books. I forgot to add either one to Goodreads so when I just did earlier this morning, I had to guess at the dates.

Finished - 

A Mystery at Carlton House - This is the most recent Captain Lacey mystery and though I've had it on my Kindle since it came out in March, I never got around to reading it. It was perfect when I needed to read but couldn't concentrate on much.

For the June birthstone challenge I read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.  I've been wanting to read this for years and the birthstone challenge finally gave me the push I needed. I enjoyed it but will not likely continue the trilogy. Matryoshka, I read your post about Pavilion of Women by Buck, and might give that a go some time. From what I read about her, Buck was an interesting woman and very much ahead of her time.

I started rereading War and Peace when I still wasn't feeling good, and it just didn't grab me. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to reading it. When I started feeling better I picked it up again and I'm glad I did. Apparently it was just my pressure headaches keeping me from enjoying it. I'm loving the reread! I usually always have more than one book going at a time but for the past few days I haven't wanted to read anything else. 

I'm about to give up on Henry James' The American. I'm just not feeling it.

• Like 16