Menu

Graphing Calculator for SAT Math 2 Subject Test?

If your student took this test, did they use a graphing calculator? My dd has used one, but only very lightly. Is it necessary to make sure she is really comfortable with the calculator for this test or could she do fine with just a scientific calculator?

She has just begun to get serious about test prep this week. On her first college board practice test, she only got a few problems wrong, but she took about an hour and a half to do the test. She said that part of the reason she took so long is that she spent too long on one problem and the earlier problems were so easy compared to what had been on the Barron's test she took that she was second guessing herself thinking she was missing something. I'm wondering if she'll need to use the graphing calculator in order to get her time down to an hour and if that is something most students use.

While I don't think it's necessary it might get her time down. Who knows. :) Practice in general got ds comfortably within the time. I think he was about 10 minutes over at first. We also worked on the graphing calculator skills but I don't think he actually used them on the day. From other threads the graphing calculator is not used by all. Barron's review books are always harder then the actual exams so I would practice with those first and the actual exams right before the real exam day.

Remember she can miss a few and still get a great score. ;) Make sure she looks at the grading scale because that should make her more comfortable about moving through the exam quickly.

• Like 1

While I don't think it's necessary it might get her time down. Who knows. :)

Lol! I used to think there were definite answers, but honestly, the older I get, the more I feel like the answers are so often "who knows".  :001_smile: 

I think she can get up to 5 wrong and still get an 800. I guess I'll have her do another week of practice and see where she's at with her time unless someone else jumps in and says the graphing calculator really helped their child. I suspect she just needs more practice and to apply a little strategizing.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

It's also been surprising to me that both of my kids seem to take much longer on their practice tests at home than on the actual test day.  My dd was taking a full hour to do the Latin subject test at home, but finished with 15 minutes to spare on the day of the test.  My son was taking 45 minutes on the English section of the ACT at home, but easily finished in a half hour on the day of the test.  Hopefully, that will apply here as well!

• Like 2

It was the first timed exam my kids took (both the maths same day). Someplace, probably a review book, there was some wise advice about exactly how to use the watch that you put on the table in front of you. I honestly think that helped more than anything. My kids don't wear watches so the only time they ever have used them are standardized exams.

My memory agrees that 5 wrong still equals an 800. After she gets a bit more practice I really think she will feel much more comfortable. I couldn't believe how much ds improved on his timing which meant he was able to get his score.

• Like 1

No he didn't.  But be warned that only the real tests from the College Board are designed perfectly to be done in the time allotted. My ds was close to tears with the 4th Barrons test because he could not figure how *anyone* could get an 800 on that test, given how good and fast he is.  Once he took the real practice tests, he had time to spare. 

• Like 1

The Barron's tests were crazy hard. It's the most commonly recommended book, but it wasn't really worth our (limited) time.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. Is there something else out there that would prep more for the level of the test? I hate for her to spend any more time than she needs to on this.

We went to the library and grabbed what they had. The two books that were used most were the Princeton Review subject test book and a generic Precalculus review book by McGraw Hill.

We also bought the College Board book with the extra practice test.

• Like 1