Menu

looking for a pan . . . .

gardenmom5

dh likes to cook  . . . .

he used to have an old heavy electric frying pan he really liked - then the legs broke and could no longer be replaced . . . . so, it was replaced with a poc electric frying pan.

i replaced that with a 6qt all-clad d5 saute - which I really like - and dh hates.  he says it's too wide and too shallow  (12 x 2 3/4) . . . . he doesn't like their deep saute - 11 x 4 . . . . so

back to the drawing board. . . .

I need a heavy deep frying pan.  he doesn't want cast iron (though I might be able to persuade him for an enameled one . . . )

anyone have a favorite HEAVY deep (but not too deep) frying pan (stove top or electric)  that heats evenly and distributes well?  that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - though the demeyere (i've been looking at surlatable out of desperation) doesn't work for size anyway.

eta: mauvel makes one the size he'd probably be happy with.  except . . mauvel = $$$$

Edited by gardenmom5

Wow that is tough. All clad is my go to but I also have a love affair with my enameled cast iron Le Creuset. I am not sure the design I have is still made but you could check the website. They are spendy though.

I believe Lodge used to make an enameled cast iron version but I will need to check on that. They are affordable, hold up well and clean out like a dream. They cook very evenly.

I will go check my brands and get back to you. Maybe someone else has another idea in the meantime...

Oh...edited to say my mom has the enamled Pioneer Woman and she really adores it.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I love my All Clad pot that is like that.

It has curved sides, unlike the sauté pan, and it's about 2-3X as deep as their frying pans.  Plus they have lids.  And the handles are oven safe. 

I will see if I can find one to show you.

I have a lot of All Clad, but when they came out with these, I pretty much stopped using most of the rest.

OK, google the  All Clad 'essential pan' on the Williams Sonoma site.  I don't seem to be able to cut/paste right now.  I think that's the one.  Best pan EVER.

I love my All Clad pot that is like that.

It has curved sides, unlike the sauté pan, and it's about 2-3X as deep as their frying pans.  Plus they have lids.  And the handles are oven safe. 

I will see if I can find one to show you.

I have a lot of All Clad, but when they came out with these, I pretty much stopped using most of the rest.

OK, google the  All Clad 'essential pan' on the Williams Sonoma site.  I don't seem to be able to cut/paste right now.  I think that's the one.  Best pan EVER.

we looked at it today - it has a curved bottom - he doesn't like it.   all clad doesn't make anything he likes.  which is why I went to surlatable's site. . . .   the mauvel was the perfect size for him to be happy , . . . except, it also has a mauvel price tag . . . . :glare:  (mauvel makes all-clad copper core look cheap)

My strong suggestion is that you look into commercial-grade carbon steel fry pans before you pull the trigger.

I have Bourgeat and Mauvel copper cookware (and All Clad, that does seem second-rate in comparison), but my carbon steel pans are workhorses in my kitchen and get used daily.

They come in a wide array of sizes and (compared with most the alternatives) are inexpensive.

Good stuff. Super popular in commercial kitchens but surprisingly undiscovered among home cooks.

Billome in a wide array of sizes and (compared with most the alternatives) are inexpensive.

Good stuff. Super popular in commercial kitchens but surprisingly undiscovered among home cooks.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My strong suggestion is that you look into commercial-grade carbon steel fry pans before you pull the trigger.

I have Bourgeat and Mauvel copper cookware (and All Clad, that does seem second-rate in comparison), but my carbon steel pans are workhorses in my kitchen and get used daily.

They come in a wide array of sizes and (compared with most the alternatives) are inexpensive.

Billome in a wide array of sizes and (compared with most the alternatives) are inexpensive.

Bill

I  was hoping you'd chime in.  I've been on some gourmet cook's forums that also like the carbon steel -but I don't know what to look for - or where,.

they were also entertaining as they said don't buy mauvel in the states - call the store in paris and have it shipped.  it's cheaper.  . . and all-clad copper core was a total waste of money, but d5 was ok for entry level if that was all  you could afford.  they also mentioned vollmarth?

so -where do I look? and for what?  or just do a general search?

I found some commercial stuff (not carbon steel) - but it was  a 7qt and just too big.

thank you.

This isn't fancy like what y'all are talking so not sure if it's good enough, but I have a Calphalon jumbo frying pan that I love. It's perfect weight and distributes heat very evenly. I tried looking on Amazon to send a link and it's not available at the moment (said 1-2 months) but another store might have one. The sides are high enough I can use it without a ton of spatter- it's a really versatile pan. I use it for everything.

Here's the link to the unavailable one on Amazon so you can see the dimensions. Simply Calphalon Nonstick 12" Jumbo Deep Fry Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ASBBSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vysrzbT7W0M49

I  was hoping you'd chime in.  I've been on some gourmet cook's forums that also like the carbon steel -but I don't know what to look for - or where,.

they were also entertaining as they said don't buy mauvel in the states - call the store in paris and have it shipped.  it's cheaper.  . . and all-clad copper core was a total waste of money, but d5 was ok for entry level if that was all  you could afford.  they also mentioned vollmarth?

so -where do I look? and for what?  or just do a general search?

I found some commercial stuff (not carbon steel) - but it was  a 7qt and just too big.

thank you.

The two biggest brands of carbon steel pans that will aid your search are Matfer and DeBuyer. The Matfer is often called "black steel" and the DeBuyer is "Mineral B Element" so use those search terms as well. The third option is Vollrath (American made). Some knock the Vollrath for having welded (as opposed to riveted) handles, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one of these if the price/size worked.

Do make sure the pan is thick. 

DeBuyer has a design called a Country Fry Pan 12'' that is causing lust. It has higher sides that a typical fry pan, semi-work-like).

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/euro-5614-32.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwppPKBRCGwrSpqK7Y5jcSJACHYbWYi3Az2zf_Lgm1wD_zbfyM758IYoHwrPj4REOlbz1WLhoCymPw_wcB

My very favorite pan is a copper Matfer Bourgeat Saucier that is shaped much like the Country fry above. Great pan, but not cheap. 

Here is a place that sells the Matfer Carbon/Black Steel.

https://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?productLine=1018

My only doubt is that you mentioned no cast iron up thread. What is the reason for that? Carbon steel has similarities with cast iron (needs to be seasoned, needs to heat up, cooks similarly) but is superior in many ways. Certainly lighter. And carbon steel is "smooth" unlike modern cast iron which is all fairly "pitted" so the anti-stick quality is much better than modern cast-iron.

Why is it "undiscovered" among home cooks? I do not know. Muy macho.

I wish I could find more the main carbon steel pans I have. They have no manufactures mark and were purchased decades back at Sur le Table. They have riveted cast iron handles (as opposed to rolled steel) and I love them. But I've searched and searched and they are gone from the market. Boo hoo.

I love carbon steel. Especially at high temps. Preferably season with flax seed oil (doing it outside if possible, nasty fumes).

If there is a size/shape/price that attracts you from any of the 3 brands I do not think you could go wrong. 

Bill

• Like 1

The de Buyer Country Fry pan mentioned in my PP also comes in a smaller size (9.4-10") that might fit the bill having re-read the OP.

https://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Country-9-4-Inch/dp/B00462QP2K

Link not necessarily best price.

Bill

thank you so much.  I did find a vollrath (I had the name wrong) that looks promising on webstarauant.com.   I haven't shown it to dh yet.  there were three lines about the same size - very different price points - but still much cheaper than the d5.  don't know how heavy it is.  we have a restaraunt supply store in town I haven't visited - but dd lusts after.  (one day - she will have a properly equipped kitchen.  with counter space. she cooks to unwind. she talks to ds's very serious gf who is training to be a chef.)

dh doesn't like cast iron.  he can have preconceived ideas about things - and it can take showing him to realize things can work better than he thinks.

me - I've started playing with it and picked up a few pieces.  he has started playing with it - and likes it for somethings.  so, working on it.

we looked at it today - it has a curved bottom - he doesn't like it. all clad doesn't make anything he likes. which is why I went to surlatable's site. . . . the mauvel was the perfect size for him to be happy , . . . except, it also has a mauvel price tag . . . . :glare: (mauvel makes all-clad copper core look cheap)

Ahhhh...Mauvel...so pretty...sigh... I have wanted one of those forever but don't need a pan right now. ;)

Ahhhh...Mauvel...so pretty...sigh... I have wanted one of those forever but don't need a pan right now. ;)

well - if you do decide you need some . . . the adivce I've heard is call paris directly, and have it shipped.  it's cheaper than buying it in the US.

thank you so much.  I did find a vollrath (I had the name wrong) that looks promising on webstarauant.com.   I haven't shown it to dh yet.  there were three lines about the same size - very different price points - but still much cheaper than the d5.  don't know how heavy it is.  we have a restaraunt supply store in town I haven't visited - but dd lusts after.  (one day - she will have a properly equipped kitchen.  with counter space. she cooks to unwind. she talks to ds's very serious gf who is training to be a chef.)

dh doesn't like cast iron.  he can have preconceived ideas about things - and it can take showing him to realize things can work better than he thinks.

me - I've started playing with it and picked up a few pieces.  he has started playing with it - and likes it for somethings.  so, working on it.

Carbon steel pans are fairly heavy. You do want the thick gauge and not the thinner variations that are like crepe pans. Thin one with develop hot-spots and burn food. Avoid.

But carbon steel is much lighter than similarly sized cast-iron, and for most purposes superior in my estimation. Carbon steel heats up faster, has a smoother surface (hence more non-stick/easier clean up), and has all the best aspects of cast-iron.

No serious cook would regret having some carbon steel in their mix of pans. I love my Matfer Bourgeat Copper Saucier (mentioned in a PP). I also have some copper fry pans from the same line. To be honest I usually reach for my carbon steel fry pans over the much more $$$$$ copper fry pans (but not the Copper Saucier).

Carbon steel is one of those rare items in life where one gets super-high quality results at a relatively low price.

I do not understand why they are not more popular in the USA. Too brutal looking? Not sure. 

You need these. Trust me. Just get heavy gauge ones. 

The Vollrath ones I saw at webrestaurant are 16 gauge or 1.29mm. I think you would be very unhappy (and would wonder why I praised such things). Higher gauge number are (counter-intuitively) thinner.

Get thick. Trust me.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

One has 3 choices with French copper cookware:

1) Hang it as a decorative item and never use it. Polishing occasionally. Pretty!

2) Use the pans regularly, and watch them turn "not-so-pretty."

3) Hire a downstairs maid to keep them polished and/or devote one's life to being a charperson. Laborious and/or expensive.

Guess which option I choose? :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

One has 3 choices with French copper cookware:

1) Hang it as a decorative item and never use it. Polishing occasionally. Pretty!

2) Use the pans regularly, and watch them turn "not-so-pretty."

3) Hire a downstairs maid to keep them polished and/or devote one's life to being a charperson. Laborious and/or expensive.

Guess which option I choose? :D

Bill

Haha! :) Same one I would choose I am sure!

I do not understand why they are not more popular in the USA. Too brutal looking? Not sure. 

You need these. Trust me. Just get heavy gauge ones. 

The Vollrath ones I saw at webrestaurant are 16 gauge or 1.29mm. I think you would be very unhappy (and would wonder why I praised such things). Higher gauge number are (counter-intuitively) thinner.

Get thick. Trust me.

Bill

people think williams-sonoma is the "epitome" for cookware. . . I'm not sure they carry carbon steel.  so - they don't see it.

the vollrath one I was looking at was 8 gauge.  it's a triply - but it's about the same dimensions as my d5 . . . so - redundant.

right after we got engaged - dh was in surlatable.  (when it was nothing but an overstuffed single shop in which you could barely move across from pike-place market and long before online shopping)  he brought me a heavy aluminum stockpot - he was so pleased with his find.  about 1/4" thick all the way around. great for soups even today.  still have it. 

people think williams-sonoma is the "epitome" for cookware. . . I'm not sure they carry carbon steel.  so - they don't see it.

the vollrath one I was looking at was 8 gauge.  it's a triply - but it's about the same dimensions as my d5 . . . so - redundant.

right after we got engaged - dh was in surlatable.  (when it was nothing but an overstuffed single shop in which you could barely move across from pike-place market and long before online shopping)  he brought me a heavy aluminum stockpot - he was so pleased with his find.  about 1/4" thick all the way around. great for soups even today.  still have it. 

Triple-ply? So not carbon-steel. I'm getting confused.

For super-cheap "ply" or clad-type cookware, I've many times recommended a brand that I've never actually cooked with (just seen and held) by Tramontina that is sold at Walmart and other places. Everyone who has tried the Tramontina ply/clad has raved about it. It seems similar to All-Clad at a fraction of the price.

Vollrath also makes carbon-steel pans, so I thought that's what you meant.

Bill

I believe W-S carries the de Buyer Mineral B pans.

W-S no longer carries the Matfer Bourgeat copperware I adore. We had a nice gift certificate from the rich Uncle for our wedding gift and we splurged. Best thing ever. But copper prices keep going up...up...up.

Bill 

Triple-ply? So not carbon-steel. I'm getting confused.

For super-cheap "ply" or clad-type cookware, I've many times recommended a brand that I've never actually cooked with (just seen and held) by Tramontina that is sold at Walmart and other places. Everyone who has tried the Tramontina ply/clad has raved about it. It seems similar to All-Clad at a fraction of the price.

Vollrath also makes carbon-steel pans, so I thought that's what you meant.

Bill

the vollrath I was orgianlly looking at wasn't the carbon steel - it was aluminum/stainless steel.  and it was a triply.

still looking.   . . there is so much to sort through.

I've had tramontina - and didn't like it. I refuse to buy anymore. I didn't find it any better than my dept store calphalon or scan pan. (and actually somewhat worse)   I have AC d5 (which is five ply) and find it worth every single penny.   first time I made a bechamel sauce (for greek cooking) I about died and went to heaven. it. was. a. dream!