Menu

Best source for dissection specimens?

I'm getting ready to order a dogfish shark to dissect at the end of our summer shark study. I was planning to order it from Home Science Tools, but then I noticed some reviewers said the sharks they received weren't in great shape. So now I'm looking at Fisher Science Education instead. Does anyone have experience ordering dissection specimens from these companies?

I've also seen Carolina Biological mentioned, but they won't ship a shark to a residential address.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal with Carolina not delivering things to residential addresses.  It was a big hassle for me, too.  Maybe of your spouse works in an office you can have it delivered there?  (Wasn't an option for me at the time, so I haven't tried it.)  

Carolina said the shark was restricted to commercial delivery because it was treated with formaldehyde. The other companies I mentioned use some sort of low-fume alternative preservative, which sounds better to me anyway.

I just don't want to get a tough, shriveled up shark. My boys are really looking forward to this!

I've never gotten a shark, but we've done several of the more common dissections and the specimens from Home Science Tools have always been fine. IIRC, one of our grasshoppers was messed up, but not in a terrible way. And all our larger stuff was fine. The smell is better than when I was a kid.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to ship formaldehyde to a residence. I've had problems with some of the alternative preservation methods in the past, however, so I'd want to make sure the specimen was in good condition even if a formaldehyde-preserved specimen was my only option. I might have options not available to others because I'm a biology professor and have numerous contacts that might be able to help with both ordering and appropriate disposal.

It's probably worth asking at a local college if they would be willing to help, but my guess is if they don't know you that's probably not likely.