Menu

Stereoscope or Brock microscope?

The Brock Magiscope is so great for it's sturdiness and ease of use. I would splurge and just aim for the higher magnification. Sometimes HBC has them on sale. It is really a wonderful scope! I am not familiar with stereoscope. I will need to check that out :)

• Like 1

I used the Brock magiscope years ago when I was a junior high science teacher and loved it. Now, it was years ago, so I'm t sure what the latest models were like, but it was very sturdy, so I was 't bugging the kids about being careful all the time and the light source was a fiber optic, so we didn't have to plug them in. It was a very good investment for our class.

• Like 1

I got the Brock sometime last year. We haven't used it a lot, but I LOVE that it can sit out on a low shelf so it's accessible when the kids want to use it, and I don't have to guard it from the one year old or curious visitors. It works best by a window or bright lamp. I got the package with higher magnification; can't remember which one. Got extra slides too, and we've used them a couple times.

Depending on your goals, I'd highly recommend it. I looked at stereoscopes and other microscopes, and ultimately went with the magiscope because my kids are young (10 and under), I am busy, and I figured ease of use and durability were priorities at this point. 

• Like 1

I don't have a Brock. I've never heard of them except for here.

I *LOVE* our stereoscope. We've had it for 5 years or so? My little ones use it ALL.THE.TIME. today we looked at flowers, leaves and three different bugs. I bought mine from amscope.com it's been durable and easy for all the kids to use.

It *would* be nice to take one outside, but we haven't had a problem bringing the outside in. (Or looking at inside things... Like cloth, beads, computer parts...)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. After doing some research and thinking, I'm going to go with the stereoscope. It seemed to be better for younger children, while the Brock seemed to be the choice for older children and/or outdoor viewing. I'm going to put the Brock on my wishlist for a few years from now. The kids are using loupes on lanyards (which I highly recommend) for outdoor study at this point, and that's working really well.

ETA: The scope I'm looking at is also cheaper than the Brock. 

An article about stereo microscopes.

Edited by birchbark

Thanks everyone. After doing some research and thinking, I'm going to go with the stereoscope. It seemed to be better for younger children, while the Brock seemed to be the choice for older children and/or outdoor viewing. I'm going to put the Brock on my wishlist for a few years from now. The kids are using loupes on lanyards (which I highly recommend) for outdoor study at this point, and that's working really well.

Can you link to one?

ETA: The scope I'm looking at is also cheaper than the Brock.

That is the same brand as ours and is in my price range (no idea if its the same one, but could be). We really love it. Today we've looked at a bee stinger (someone was stung) a tick, a grasshopper.

In the winter if you get snow, snowflakes are fun to look at (though they don't last long!)

• Like 1

Well the kids are absolutely loving the stereo microscope. All ages. So is the hubs. He excitedly texted me a pic of a small bug eating a dead fly.  :ack2:

The quality is excellent. I think this is going to be a great investment for our homeschool.