Menu

What does a recovery summer look like?

JanetC

So, as I have hinted, DD has had a year at college.

The original plans for her to find a job and earn money towards her study abroad plans are out the window.

Up instead is therapy. She's also signed up to volunteer at a local arts festival one weekend. (She's an art major, so at least she can put one small thing related to art on her resume for the summer.)

There's a certain need to keep her busy, though, in ways that will help her recover rather than things that will further stress her.

I'm thinking maybe an exercise class? Any other ideas?

Would she enjoy volunteering at a hospital?

If she's an artist, would she enjoy putting together a small exhibit for a local coffeeshop?

Or taking an art class through Community Ed or something like that?  Maybe trying her hand at a medium she isn't very experienced in, for fun?

There's a certain need to keep her busy, though, in ways that will help her recover rather than things that will further stress her.

Could you give us a better idea what things would stress her?

Things that could keep her busy could include:

an online course just for fun

giving art lessons to children

joining a group that paints together

reading through a book list

daily nature walks

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Docent for an art museum. The free family program my kids attended had three undergraduate interns and many docents. There was also some staff around. About 15 kids and more than 30 adults usually per session because grandparents also participated.

Some of our libraries also have manga drawing for teens and they would love volunteers for those sessions.

• Like 1

Love the art related suggestions above!

Not knowing your specifics - but I am in therapy for PTSD. Some things that have been healing for me: yin yoga, water aerobics (just being in the water, in the sun...), hiking or nature walks, gardening barefoot, yoga or tai chi outside.

Working at the local food pantry and delivering meals for meals on wheels are both low stress volunteer jobs in my area that could be done short term.

How about a low key ceramics or other type of art class?

Sorry to hear your dd is having a difficult time.☹ï¸

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1