Menu

Making top sheets into fitted

DawnM

We use duvets and just wash them, so we rarely even use the top sheets.  I am reading some online blogs about how to turn top sheets into fitted, but they all seem confusing.

Is there a SIMPLE and EASY way to do this that I am missing?

I plan to do 4 of them ASAP.

Thanks,

Dawn

First, start by measuring across the mattress.  Start measuring a couple inches under the mattress (however much you want your sheet to tuck under), then measure up the side of the mattress, across the mattress, down the other side, and tucked under by the same amount of the other side.  Do the same thing from the head to the foot of the mattress.  Add an extra inch to each dimension for hemming.

So, for example, if you are making a fitted sheet for a queen mattress (60" x 80") which is 15" high, and you want the sheet to tuck 4" under on each side, then the math would look like: Side to Side: 4" + 15" + 60" + 15" + 4" + 1" (for hemming) = 99" and Head to Foot: 4" + 15" + 80" + 15" + 4" + 1" (for hemming) = 119".

Cut your flat sheet into a rectangle with the dimensions you calculated.

Now you need to cut the corners out of the rectangle so it looks like this:

----------

|           |

----            ----

|                   |

|                   |

|                   |

|                   |

----           ----

|           |

----------

Make yourself a template (just out of paper of whatever) that is a square with sides the depth of your mattress plus your tucking under amount.  So in my example, the square would be 15" + 4" = 19".  Line up your template in each corner of the rectangle and cut around it.

Next you need to sew your corners into a box shape.  Imagine taking your square template, and folding it so that two ADJACENT sides are lined up.  That is what you need to do with your "missing" squares.  Fold each corner of your sheet, so that the two newly cut edges (where you cut around the template) fold together and line up.  Make sure the right sides of the fabric are touching, and sew them together.  You will probably want to also zig-zag stitch or serge along the seam to finish the raw edges.  Do the same on the other three corners.

At this point, you should have a sheet that looks like the lid of a shirt box.  It should have four boxed corners.  Now you have to decide if you are going to have elastic all around the edge, or just at the corners.

If all around:

You need to hem around the whole raw edge of the sheet and make a casing for your elastic.  Fold the edges under once a little, and then again enough that you will be able to fit a safety pin through the hem allowance.  Sew around, leaving a gap for threading.  Thread skinny elastic through, making sure to use enough elastic that it will fit onto the mattress.  Once the elastic is secured, sew up your threading gap and you are done.

If just the corners:

You need to hem around the whole raw edge of the sheet, but you don't have to worry about making a casing.  Just double fold the edge and sew all around.  Then on each corner of the sheet, make a mark along the hemmed edge 18-24" from the corner seam.  Make sure to mark in both directions from each corner so you end up with 8 marks.  Take ~1/4" elastic and position it on the inside of the sheet starting at one of the marks and heading toward the corner.  Using a zig zag stitch, sew the elastic along the hemmed edge until you go past the corner and get to the mark on the other side.  The REALLY important part is that you have to be stretching the elastic quite firmly as you sew it.  Secure the elastic well at the second mark and cut it.  Repeat for the other corners.

Voila.  Fitted sheet.

Wendy

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 7

Or go old school and just tuck in the corners, hospital style, when you make the bed each time. Then you have the flexibility of using the sheet as a top or bottom sheet, or making it into a duvet cover later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

We have tried tucking.  They come undone, every time.  My husband is a fidgeter.....moves all night long, even in his sleep.  He needs something that stays put.

Really, we need the elastic to hold it in place.

And we have foam mattresses, so they aren't the same weight to hold things down.  And because of the weight, sometimes the mattresses shift a bit.   And we have a split king, so getting the corners tight on the inside edges really doesn't work.  We have the split bed because of my husband's fidgeting, I wasn't getting sleep!  

Edited by DawnM

ok, I think I have found a tutorial that makes more sense to me.

I plan to measure, sew, and THEN cut, after I make sure the sewing is accurate.  Once cut, you can't fix it easily, so I will just do it that way.

I need to pick up some elastic today or tomorrow and will practice on a regular twin top sheet that is old and I don't much care if I accidentally ruin.

We have tried tucking.  They come undone, every time.  My husband is a fidgeter.....moves all night long, even in his sleep.  He needs something that stays put.

Really, we need the elastic to hold it in place.

And we have foam mattresses, so they aren't the same weight to hold things down.  And because of the weight, sometimes the mattresses shift a bit.   And we have a split king, so getting the corners tight on the inside edges really doesn't work.  We have the split bed because of my husband's fidgeting, I wasn't getting sleep!  

You could use sheet stays.  I have this kind https://www.amazon.com/Bed-Band-Assembled-Suspender-Patented/dp/B004I3VDWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497531949&sr=8-2&keywords=sheet+stays#customerReviews  and they work very well.

Sounds like you already have a plan but I thought I'd throw this out there in case you'd like to save yourself some work.

we use a top sheet - the boys don't.   I don't buy them top sheets.

there are instructions out there - but it's never been worth it to me to do that.  make sure they fit your mattresses.  and lots of elastic.

but the top sheets can make great duvet covers- which do need to be washed more often when they won't use a top sheet.

I made a top sheet into a fitted sheet by jiffy sewing the ENDS of an 8" piece of 3/4" elastic diagonally in all four corners of the flat sheet. 

It was enough to slip underneath the mattress.  No need to tuck/fold.

I experimented with the first corner, to see where the elastic ends need to be pinned/sewn.

Here's a Pinterest image, but just imagine it's sewn using a flat sheet.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fb/b0/f0/fbb0f003d97ee31bcffea238196e191a.jpg

• Like 1

You could use sheet stays.  I have this kind https://www.amazon.com/Bed-Band-Assembled-Suspender-Patented/dp/B004I3VDWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497531949&sr=8-2&keywords=sheet+stays#customerReviews  and they work very well.

Sounds like you already have a plan but I thought I'd throw this out there in case you'd like to save yourself some work.

Thanks.  The amount of elastic I need is about $1.77 for two sheets.  That is $25 for the two sheets.

Great idea, but for that price, I could just get new sheets.

• Like 1

Also you can use top sheets to make matching curtains.

We have several kinds of designs and colors for our sheets.  The bedspread is not the same color.  And our sheets are typically heavy flannel.

And we don't have curtains.  We prefer blinds and no curtains.