Menu

book recommendations for rising 2nd grader, reads fluently

I'm trying to find fun books for my younger child to read.  He reports that his only requirement, regarding being sensitive, is that the world be okay at the end of the book or the series. 

He has liked (many of these he collected from his older brother's piles):

Calvin and Hobbes (frequently needs help with the humor)

All the Dave Barry You Could Ever Want (I cannot recommend this to others unconditionally.  DH pulled it out for the older child and then was never around when they wanted explanations for the "Babies and Other Hazards of S**" section)

"F" for Effort & "F" in Exams

Life of Fred

Wings of Fire

Tintin (found nice versions on Timberdoodle with supplemental info)

Complete Encyclopedia of Flight

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

How to Train Your Dragon

Little Wolf series by Ian Whybrow

thank you so much in advance! 

• Like 1

It sounds like he likes humor. DS' favorites are the Big Fat Zombie Goldfish, which is pretty much what the series is about so if zombies are ok it's really funny. DS is always reading parts of the series to me and telling me about it. One little sister and other people did have some sort of zombie contagion but it all comes out right in the end. His second favorite would be the Timmy Failure series, there's an imaginary polar bear and the boy is a P.I. Does he like science? If so the Frank Einstein series is great too.

• Like 2

Thank you for the suggestions! 

ScoutTN, that is a great list ... I think he'd really enjoy those as read-alouds or IRs.

Ellie, thanks for reminding me of the 1000 Good Books list.

fralala, so glad somebody else will benefit from this thread!  and thanks for your suggestions.  Will look into them.  Alvin Ho & Jeffrey Brown's books are new to me.

ExcitedMama, he does like humor!  AND science!  what great suggestions.  off to look into them, too. 

:)

• Like 1

I wanted to thank everybody, and share that the 2 installments of "Frank Einstein" I was able to gift for his birthday were VERY well received.  Am moving on to other suggestions (and planning to start Cricket in Times Square after we finish All of a Kind Family as a read-aloud). 

again: thanks so much for helping me find books to delight!!

• Like 1