Menu

10th grade planning thread 2017-2018

English: Honors 1 (Blue Tent)

Math: Geometry (Derek Owens)

Science: Honors Chemistry (Wilson Hill)

Foreign Language: Japanese (tutor)

History: Ancient History (Great Courses)

Elective: Flight Science (hope fully, registration has not yet opened so I am not sure if the course will be offered)

PE: Surfing

• Like 1

Well, we just finished 10th grade, but here's what it was:

Math:  Mathusee Algebra and Geometry

English:  Abeka Vocab, misc. medieval literature, misc. american literature

History:  Government (1st semester) with Crash Course videos and Abeka, Medieval World History (2nd semester) with Human Odyssey

Science: Paleontology (1st semester), Chemistry (2nd semester) with Singapore Chemistry Matters

French:  So You Really Want to Learn French 2 plus some Rosetta Stone

plus some art, drama, and p.e.

• Like 2

We just started about a month ago.  She is partially combined with the 9th grader.  She chose her courses.

Saxon Algebra 2 (ugh, the torture continues)

World Literature - Prentice Hall World Masterpieces + booklist of folk lit + cont memorizing Greek/Latin roots + Bravewriter + Daily Grammar

Latin - cont Visual Latin + Lingua Latina

German - cont Deutschakademie Audio Course + German readers

Bible - read through the New Testament

Ethology - booklist

Human Geography - The Geography Coloring Book + booklist + I really need to add to this somehow

Health - AOP's Health (Life Pacs)+ Human Anatomy Coloring Book

Human Anatomy - several chapters from Holt Biology + booklist + long list of labs

Woodworking - CLE

PE - Homeschool PE program, but it looks like not until January, because she needs knee surgery

Volunteering at dog shelter and equestrian physical therapy place + Youth Group

• Like 2

Literature: Korean and Chinese Folk Tales and literature

Art/composition:  Working on her graphic novel

History: East Asia

Math:  Geometry through art and then numbers (little Wooden books to start with and then Khanacademy)

Science: Anatomy through art both human and animal

Korean: Korean from Zero and Mango and dramas and music

Violin: group and private lessons and youth orchestra (hope to add in music theory)

Art History: Khanacademy

I think that's it. She wants to be an artist but have music as her back-up. If she goes to college she says it will be for music so we're prepping her for that while she works on her art. Next year we have to do the "American" year and do all that history and literature.

• Like 4

Math:  Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2
English II:  leaning towards LLATL for literature; Writing/Rhetoric Commonplace; Within the Word 2; considering Fix It!

Science:  leaning towards CK12 Biology with the lab kit from The Home Scientist
History:  Still trying to decide.  I've considered Glencoe World History + the Oak Meadow Coursebook.  She has also expressed an interest in focusing on the history of France.

French:  Not sure yet.  Someone here recommended Breaking the Barrier but I'd really love something like Latin Alive! that has the lecture portion on cdrom. 

Extras not taught by me:
Violin
Theater
Art

• Like 1

Math: Geometry and hopefully Algebra II from AOPS

LA: American lit using a variety of sources

French: at community college

History: American history using Great Courses DVD and a variety of books

Science: Chemistry using Great Courses DVD, Walsh publishing books and Caveman Chemistry

Robotics team and golf

We probably won't do any electives the first semester, until we see how the cc class goes.

• Like 2

I would like honest opinions on my DS plan. He doesn't like school and is nt motivated, but I feel like I'm letting him do too little.

BJU Lit 9, So Verbose Essay 2 and 3, vocabulary words

Algebra 2 (myhomeschoolmathclass)

Apologia Biology

German 2 (Excelsior)

WW2 Battles (coop class, maybe give 1/2 credit)

PE class at co-op

Violin

He needs more doesn't he??

Language Arts -- British and European post-Renaissance literature using various modules from Excellence in Literature plus a few I put together myself using the EIL modules as guides. Plus writing for both literature and history.

Math -- Algebra II using AOPS

History -- Post-Renaissance European history, using some Great Courses and History of Western Society by McKay. Emphasis on writing.

Science -- Introductory Chemistry using one of the Zumdahl texts.

Spanish -- probably outsourcing to Homeschool Spanish Academy

Creative Writing elective (quarter or half credit) using The Creative Writer series

Fine Arts elective -- Art and music history to go with literature and history, plus whatever else we feel like adding to that.

Martial Arts

I would like honest opinions on my DS plan. He doesn't like school and is nt motivated, but I feel like I'm letting him do too little.

Apologia Biology

German 2 (Excelsior)

PE class at co-op

Violin

Things I do when I look at what to have them take is "What is my child interested in studying?" "What do they spend most of their time doing on their own?" "What is really catching their interest and how can I count it as a class?"

• Like 1

English/composition - American Literature - outsourcing

Chemistry - Elementary Chemistry at community college

Math - Trigonometry in fall at community college, calculus in spring if she's ready.  If not, she'll take statistics.

American History - American History Odyssey

Art Appreciation at community college this summer (just started this week)

Foreign Language - learning Portuguese and Russian on her own.  Not sure how we'll count it as a credit - we'll see as the year goes on.  She taught herself to be fluent in Spanish in 8th grade and then did four semesters of Spanish at the community college.  

Computer - she started codecademy.  Not sure how much time she'll spend on that or if we'll count it as anything.

Volunteer - She teaches an online Spanish class for homeschool students and also volunteers at the library.  

For extracurricular, she takes gymnastics and aerial acrobatic lessons.  

Lots of driving for me this year between DE classes, the library, and extracurriculars.  The cc isn't close enough for me to come home while she's in class so I'll be stuck there.  I can't wait until she can drive! 

Edited by Erica H

Apologia Biology

German 2 (Excelsior)

PE class at co-op

Violin

It looks like you have most of the bases covered short a half a credit in history. Are you going to use his violin lessons as a fine arts credit or an elective? You could add in an elective in an area of interest for him.

Things I do when I look at what to have them take is "What is my child interested in studying?" "What do they spend most of their time doing on their own?" "What is really catching their interest and how can I count it as a class?"

He doesn't have a lot of interests right now. I'm pushing him to try new things.

• Like 1

It looks like you have most of the bases covered short a half a credit in history. Are you going to use his violin lessons as a fine arts credit or an elective? You could add in an elective in an area of interest for him.

He doesn't have a lot of interests. He wants to study Japanese history. We have a timeline of era's and if he does the research and some output, I'll give credit, but I don't want to nag about this. If he does it, he will get credit, but if not the year looks light. Violin will be toward fine art. He started rock climbing, so that could be something if he sticks with it. No interests make it hard.

Edited by tess in the burbs

Dd's 10th grade plan-

History: Asian studies, focusing on Japan...still pulling this together.

Language Arts/Literature: a survey of Asian literature throughout history. Vocabulary with WW 3000 grade 10. Writing With Skill level 3.

Science: Discovering Design with Chemistry (Jay Wile) and lab

Math: Geometry (most likely Jacobs)

Latin: Latin Alive 2

Logic/Rhetoric: CAP's Argument builder 

Art: her own design (she's focused on Manga/Anime) 

Bible: focus in the NT

Soccer

• Like 2

Dd has developed a chronic health condition over this past year. It's really thrown planning and excecution out of whack. We're still trying to finish up 9th grade credits and I think I need to plan a very light 10th grade, which we can add to if her health improves. I'm also thinking that DE will have to wait: if she takes a bad turn, I don't expect that a CC prof will be as flexible as I can be. Not the high school experience either one of us had anticipated, but we're both doing our best to navigate this thing.

So here's what I think the lineup will look like:

VT Geometry

English - GC Utopian/Dystopian lit + Bravewriter

Psychology - homemade, using some EdX courses I think

Economics (.5) - Crash course + readings

Botany w/ lab (.5) - GC Botany course + reading & labs

IHF/PE - focused on specific PT exercise + reading about food/diet, physical & mental health

Creative Writing 2

Spanish - finishing up Spanish 2 credit at home; SPAN 2 via DE if she feels up to it in the spring

• Like 2

(1)    English:Center for Lit British Lit (literature)

WriteatHome Essay 1 / Essay 2 / Literature Analysis or Research Paper (composition)

(1)    Math:          Precalculus (Wilson Hill)

(1)    History:       AP US History (PAH)

(1)    Science:     AP Chemistry (PAH)

(1)    Language: Spanish 2 (Homeschool Spanish Academy)

(0.5) Electives:    Roy Speed Shakespeare (10 weeks)

(0.5)                   AP Macroeconomics (PAH) - fall semester

(0.5)                  AP Microeconomics (self-study) -spring semester (maybe)

TOTAL = 6-6.5 credits

That was satisfying to write it all out. I'm busy buying all the materials for it, but hadn't seen it listed in some time.

• Like 1

Not sure if there is a thread already for this.

I would love to see everyone's line up for their tenth graders. Give me inspiration!

Math: Math Without Borders Algebra II

History: US History (Funda Funda schedule)

Foreign Language: ASL (Currclick 102/classes at local Center for Hearing)

Science: Chemistry (dual enrollment spring semester)

English: US Lit (homegrown program), Writing with Skill (finish book), Spelling (Apples & Pears) - she has dysgraphia

PE/Health: Oak Meadow Integrated

Electives: Programming Logic & Intro to C++ (dual enrollment fall semester)

• Like 1

He doesn't have a lot of interests right now. I'm pushing him to try new things.

A lot of kids don't at that age. My oldest didn't but suddenly during 10th grade she discovered geography and languages and started listening to a lot of youtube music videos in various language like comparing sounds and things.  And now she wants to major in linguistics and teach English overseas.

So something small like Japan could branch off into any sort of interest. Just let him take the lead and do it on his own. But keep feeding him resources.  He'll find something soon.

• Like 1

So what DO you recommend?

For French, I'm not sure.  I can tell you what was missing from the BtB Spanish.....

The content material was fine.  The book covered the same basic material, in terms of vocabulary, that is generally covered.  The pacing was a bit fast.  Our problem with BtB was that there simply wasn't enough practice material to make anything stick.  We added Duolingo, which helped.  Duolingo's pacing is MUCH slower.  We added flashcards from online.  We added three Practice Makes Perfect workbooks: basic spanish, spanish vocabulary, and spanish verb tenses.  IMO, if it was material being used with an online tutor, it would be doable.  The program needs MUCH more practice speaking the language, but I also think the pace should be slowed to really incorporate the vocabulary and master verb tenses with the verb vocabulary you are given.

If my younger son wants to learn Spanish, I think we will outsource to an online program. 

• Like 2

Dd has developed a chronic health condition over this past year. It's really thrown planning and excecution out of whack. We're still trying to finish up 9th grade credits and I think I need to plan a very light 10th grade, which we can add to if her health improves. I'm also thinking that DE will have to wait: if she takes a bad turn, I don't expect that a CC prof will be as flexible as I can be. Not the high school experience either one of us had anticipated, but we're both doing our best to navigate this thing.

VT Geometry

IHF/PE - focused on specific PT exercise + reading about food/diet, physical & mental health

Creative Writing 2

Spanish - finishing up Spanish 2 credit at home; SPAN 2 via DE if she feels up to it in the spring

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rose.  Big :grouphug: :grouphug:  for you and for your DD.

• Like 3

VT Geometry

Creative Writing 2

Hope everything is okay and manageable for her.  :grouphug:

Here's the plan as of now:

Summer- 

Bravewriter course

finish up second pass through Algebra I (this might take a little past summer),

Fall-

MUS Geometry

Schola Tutorials Romans- history and literature (plus some HotAW reading)

WTMA Rhetoric I

Clover Creek Physics

AP Psychology w PA Homeschoolers

Art with homeschool group

On the fence about Latin. Trying to figure this out. We have been using Visual Latin I and LL, but we either need to switch or add in something more if we stick to it. Pausing until 11th grade is also on the table. 

DS 10th grade plans

Bible: TMITYES NT and Church history

Math: Algebra 2

Science: Biology w/Lab

History: US and World history

Geography

English: Jensen's Format Writing, Illuminating Lit, Painless Vocabulary

Foreign Language: Korean using many different resources including Talk to me in Korean and Korean from Zero

Healthy Home Ec and Nutrition, Health

Piano Lessons

See the Light Art Projects

• Like 3

So sorry about your DD's health. I hope she gets better soon!

I am still not 100% sure on some things, but here is what we have right now:

Science:   Astronomy (DE summer), Intro to Bio (DE fall)

Math: Intermediate Algebra with AOPS online. It ends in November, so I thought about Precalculus after that, but we'll see how this one goes. We may switch.

English: Most likely CTY and maybe Bravewriter, and some Literature at home or DE in spring.

French with tutor. Maybe SAT at the end of the year.

History: Medieval. We did US history to take the SAT this year, I want her to have something she actually enjoys this year.

We do plan on another DE or two (depends on the number of credits, our CC only lets to take 6 for spring and fall, and 3 for winter and summer), but we are not sure yet. She might pick another elective science.

Fencing as PE/extracurricular.

I am a little worried that her transcript is going to be intro level science heavy.

• Like 3

So far the plan is:

Lightening Lit & Comp (Early-Mid 19th Century British Lit)

American History Odyssey

Saxon Physics, Take Home Physics Labs, How to Write a Successful Lab Report

The Everything American Government Book

Calc 2, Calc 3 (local college) 

Also he plans to prepare for 2 CLEP exams and study for the TASC. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

Posting in the planning thread always seems so definite-yikes.  No summer classes this year (she usually does 1 or 2), so just plans for the fall:

Intermediate Algebra (AoPS)

Latin IV (CLRC)

Russian II (private tutor)

Great Books II (Roman Roads Media, The Romans, with some HoAW/HoMW, Schola Tutorial discussion group)

Intro to Physical Science with lab (DE)

Comp 101 (DE)

The two dual enrollment classes bit terrifies me, but I seem to approach each year with fear and trepidation.  So far, it has always worked out, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Here is our line up so far.

Math U See geometry

Oak meadow heros journey - for English 10

Acellus World history 2. ( first semester) and Drivers Ed ( second semester )

Art- weekly outsourced lessons

Music- outsourced band , choir, and guitar lessons

PE - gymnastics classes

We are focusing more on art, music, and fine arts this year. I think my daughter is going to love this year...I hope...

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 2

Summer:

Web Design - CompuScholar (free for the summer at HSBC)

Beginning this fall:

English - Socratic Seminar (Empowered Online Academy), World Literature (Impact Virtual Learning, falll semester), a short writing course or two spring semester from So Verbose

Geometry - undecided

World cultures - Prentice Hall World Cultures

Biology - FundaFunda

ASL - StartASL

Food & Nutrition - Glencoe Food For Today plus supplements (food lab, cooking around the globe, etc.) at textbook site

Bible (.5 credit) - Memoria Press guide plus books from a list

Classical Studies (.5 credit) - Greek plays (undecided)

Music Theory - Applied Music Fundamentals: Writing, Singing, and Listening by Jena Root

It is always helpful to see what others have planned!

Bible - We follow a Bible reading plan and will study Christians in history as well

Geometry - tutorial

Chemistry - tutorial

German II - We use a bunch of stuff sent to me by my sister who has her Masters in Germanic Literature and Languages

English II - Composition (taught my by other sister via Skype with some grammar thrown in), Literature we are going to do To Kill a Mockingbird and a few other American novels and then focus on military literature.  My son is really into the military and military history, so I would love to tackle some of that genre with him.  Clearly need to flesh this out a bit more.

US History - Oak Meadow.  We are going to do a bit of a military history of the US slant on this for DS.

We are hoping to complete Personal Finance and Art History this summer.  

I think this is what we are doing.

English - Elements of Literature, assigned reading, grammar, various essays - I make it up as we go based mainly on what she's reading

Precalculus with Trig - Foerster

Spanish - Practice Makes Perfect and Paso A Paso

Chemistry with lab - local LAC

AP Environmental Science - Living in the Environment by Tyler Miller

Logic -The Power of Critical Thinking by Lewis Vaughn or A Workbook for Arguments by David R. Morrow and logic puzzles   - fall semester

Spring semester

P.E. - she plays competitive soccer so I will only have to keep track of the hours.

Something at the LAC - maybe Culinary Chemistry or Intro to Computer Science

Maybe another elective if she wants it.

The plan of the moment is....

English

Creative Writing (WTMA - 0.5-1.0 credits. Not sure if she'll take one semester or two)

(Roy Speed Shakespeare session? - 0.25)

Math

Geometry (WHA)

Science

Chemistry (local hybrid)

History

Great Conversations 4/Ancients (WHA - 2.0 credits; 1 history, 0.5 to 1.0 English, depending on   

how much writing my dd does for it)

Foreign Lang

Latin 4/AP (Lukeion)

(possibly finish French 3)

Speech & Team Policy Debate

• Like 1

- Alg 2 (AoPS)

- AP Bio (probably PAHS, though he hasn't made a final decision)

- AP Econ (Macro, then Micro) PA Homeschoolers

- German 2 & 3 (OKState)

- History (HotRW, not outsourced)

- English (lit, probably focused on Shakespear.  Like to pick up a writing class at the local JC)

we'll see.  DS is both insisting that the above is what he wants/needs to take, and also stressing out about it.

History- Notgrass Exploring World History

Literature- from Notgrass and extras

English- IEW Windows to the World/ Essay Intensive

Science- Discovering GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Design for Chemistry Online Honors Class

Math- MUS Pre-Calculus

Foreign Language- Easy Peasy Spanish 2

Bible/Christian Worldview- Still not sure about this ?

Electives-Filmmaking & Photography

PE- Pilates class

• Like 1

For French, I'm not sure. I can tell you what was missing from the BtB Spanish.....

The content material was fine. The book covered the same basic material, in terms of vocabulary, that is generally covered. The pacing was a bit fast. Our problem with BtB was that there simply wasn't enough practice material to make anything stick. We added Duolingo, which helped. Duolingo's pacing is MUCH slower. We added flashcards from online. We added three Practice Makes Perfect workbooks: basic spanish, spanish vocabulary, and spanish verb tenses. IMO, if it was material being used with an online tutor, it would be doable. The program needs MUCH more practice speaking the language, but I also think the pace should be slowed to really incorporate the vocabulary and master verb tenses with the verb vocabulary you are given.

If my younger son wants to learn Spanish, I think we will outsource to an online program.

My DS used Breaking the Barrier French, levels one and two, in an outsourced class. He loved the book and didn't have an issue with the pacing or vocabulary. It could be because the teacher provided review in class or the way his memory works. He was also able to practice speaking with his father, his teacher and his teacher's son on a fairly regular basis.

Editing as I reread this. I don't think we will get all of this done.

History/ Literature: Great Books Academy/ Angelicum Greek Year class discussions and discussion with Mom

Writing to complete English Credit : only one short class at a time, either Bravewriter Intermediate, ( Expository 1 and 2)..,.Home2Teach Narrative2 (and possibly report, paragraph)..will decide which route to go after trying Bravewriter

Math: Algebra2 through VT Algebra, (summer before and after 10th grade) MathUSee Geometry

Biology: recorded Homeschool Connections class with Mom using Miller Levine Book and dissections and other labs, some Natural Science Museum dissections

Grammar: SAT grammar books (10 minutes a day)

Introduction to Computers ( live Homeschool Connections)

Art: art class continuing with local artist

Electives: The Animation Class(summer), Game design(summer)drivers ed

Fun: leadership team youth group, PE at the y, teen homeschool group ( trying out the PE and New homschool group)

Second semester: Python or homeschool Spanish Academy

Edited by Silver Brook

World Geography {HOD}
English II {IEW Writing, IEW Fix-It, BJU Lit Analysis}

Geometry
World Religions & Culture {HOD}
Biology {VHSG AYOP}
Logic {Art of Argument}
French II {RS}

Animation Design {YouthDigital}

Things he'll do, but may not need the credits for:

PE {he doesn't need it for a credit, but he plays hockey}
Art {varied courses online}

Piano {Hoffman}

Precalculus (AoPS)

Writing - Bravewriter & OYAN

Lit - GC Utopian & Dystopian Works in the fall & How Science Fiction Works in the spring

APUSH

AP Chemistry (Chang's & Illustrated Guide to Home Chem Experiments)

AP Comp Science A

Chinese 3 w/ tutor

Guitar/Music Theory

plus electives

And I'm glad I typed it all out. It looks like more than I thought it would.

Saxon Advanced Mathematics

French 3 with private tutor

American History and Government--Dave Raymond (Compass Classroom) and Crash Course Government

American Literature--Lightning Literature and Composition, with some personal modifications

American Christian Literature--Lightning Lit./ World Religions--still working on texts

Health

Drama/PE--local co-op

Piano/Music Theory

We're choosing to skip science this year and hoping we don't regret it later. 

Mine may look a bit different :) DD is going into 10th and is dyslexic, so some of her curriculum choices reflect the need for "slow and steady" right now.

Algebra II: No clue what we're using for this. She really likes CLE and is using it for Algebra I. There is nothing like it for Algebra II -- and she hates online / dvd-based programs for math. Very visual learner.

Art History: CHC's Ever Ancient, Ever New (also likely continuing outsourced art classes)

Writing across the curriculum: a la IEW's TWSS

Literature: I'm going through Teaching the Classics this summer. We're also using MCT's Level 4 books and guide for literature.

Grammar: I'm going through MCT's Level 4 vocabulary right now... but she would like to go back to First Language Lessons (probably level 4 or the new level?)

Spelling: Apples and Pears C and D

Vocabulary: MCT's Level 4 "Vocabulary of Literature"

American History: Homeschool Connections, Phillip Campbell

Physics: Homeschool Connections

Latin: Getting Started with Latin