Menu

History/geography/government plan for high school

My oldest is starting high school soon and I am not sure what to do for history. I'm not sure what to cover or when. I was thinking of doing a year each of US history, world history, geography, and civics/government. We have done the 4 year history cycle until 8th grade when she did US history. She wants to do geography this year. Does the order matter? Do you have any suggestions for geography? I'm in the "panic that I'm going to screw this up for her" stage of planning.

I was hoping to find a pinned thread for high school social studies. Alas. I'm in the same place as you are. I have found googling for "high school (insert subject) syllabus" to be helpful - or at least provide a starting point. I have no idea what we're going to use for 10th through 12th grades.

Our 4 year plan:

9th - Middle Ages (using SWB's high school history book)

10th - Fall Semester: World Geography (using what, I have no clue)

10th - Spring Semester: World Religions

11th - US AP History

12th - Fall Semester: US Government

12th - Spring Semester: Civil Rights in the US

I don't think the order really matters. Hoping others with more insight chime in here!

This probably isn't helpful, but we are winging it every year.  The only thing I am requiring for history is one year of US history and government (which we did government this past year already).

When I was scrolling through blogs and sample transcripts, with the exception of people who follow the 4 year history sequence, it looked like every person in the universe does World History, US History, Government and World Geography (in different orders).

We're just starting at a cc, so no one is going to care what's on our transcripts.  I let the kids pick.  DD15 has done British History, US Government and she's doing Human Geography this year.  DD14 is taking Military History this year.

• Like 1

We wing it too.  No real plan other than I like to do Government the Senior year.  It's also a good one to wait until then to do because it's offered through the CC as a concurrent class. 

There is also a World History class offered as concurrent so I may wait and have my last two take it that way.  I have considered using Glencoe World History with the Oak Meadow coursebook but I'm not sure yet. 

My 10th grader did Geography last year.  We used The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide and the geography questions out of Trail Guide to World Geography. 

Edited by Heather in OK
  • Like 2

My oldest is starting high school soon and I am not sure what to do for history. I'm not sure what to cover or when. I was thinking of doing a year each of US history, world history, geography, and civics/government. We have done the 4 year history cycle until 8th grade when she did US history. She wants to do geography this year. Does the order matter? Do you have any suggestions for geography? I'm in the "panic that I'm going to screw this up for her" stage of planning.

Your 4 credits sound fine to me, and sound like they will meet any requirements that pop up.

In case you're worried, check what your homeschooling regulations require about if you have any specific credits needed for high school graduation. (Some states require 3-4 credits (years) of Social Studies, and specifically state that must include 1-2 credits (years) of American History, and 0.5 credit (semester) each of Econ and Gov't, or 1.0 credit of World History or World Geography.)

And, you sound fine for college admission requirements (courses completed in high school to be prepared for college), as most colleges want to see 2-4 credits (years) of Social Studies, and many colleges want at least 1 Social Studies credit (year) as American History.

As far as how to schedule your credits -- lots of ways of accomplishing History (Social Studies), and you don't have to do it in any specific order. For example:

Classical sequence:

9th = 1.0 credit = Ancient History

10th = 1.0 credit = Medieval History

11th = 0.5-1.0 credit = Early Modern History (with extra emphasis on 1st half of American History for 0.5 credit)

12th = 0.5-1.0 credit = Modern History (with extra emphasis on 2nd half of American History for 0.5 credit)

4.0-5.0 credits = total Social Studies

Traditional public school sequence:

9th = World Geography

10th = World History

11th = American History

12th = Econ/Gov't (1 semester each)

4.0 credits = total Social Studies

For your choice of Geography, World History, American History, and Econ/Gov't credits, you can do them in any order. Some people mix the order to be able to do AP Government, History, or Economics tests, and need to fit with the schedule of how your local high school schedules the tests for each grade/year.

I personally preferred doing our 0.5 credit of Gov't in the same year as with our 1.0 credit of American History, because the two subjects really interconnect so nicely. I originally thought we would do a 4-year History cycle + the Gov't/Econ, but DSs' interests changed and we went with what was of interest to them, which ended up being 20th Century History, and then dropping out of the 4-year cycle to accomplish "requirements". So our Social Studies credit line-up looked like this:

[8th = World Cultures/Geography & Comparative World Religions]

9th = 1.0 credit Ancient World History

10th = 1.0 credit 20th Century World History

11th = 1.0 credit American History + 0.5 credit Gov't

12th = 0.5 credit Econ + 0.5 credit Church History + 0.25 credit Medieval World History

total = 4.75 credits Social Studies

As far as ideas for Geography, some common programs I see used in high school by WTMers:

- Mapping the World With Art

- Oak Meadow Geography

- North Star Geography

- Runkles Geography

- PAC World Geography

- AP Geography -- College Board textbook options; online class (example: PA Homeschooler's AP Human Geography)

Welcome to planning for high school! Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

P.S.

As far as planning Social Studies -- really, this subject is the most flexible of the 5 academic subjects (i.e., English, Math, Science, Foreign Language, Social Studies). Even if you don't meet specific required college credits, the school will VERY often work with in this area, as long as you have overall number of Social Studies credits. 

And colleges usually accept a very wide variety of topics in the Social Studies (also called Social Sciences, in contrast to Natural Sciences such as Biology, Chemistry, etc.). Coursework in all of these areas are accepted as Social Studies credits:

- History

- Geography

- Economics

- Government

- Humanities

- Anthropology

- Archeology

- Sociology

- Philosophy (which also includes traditional formal Logic -- or, you can list Logic as an Elective)

- Political Science

For some past threads to help you plan, below are some to get you started. :)

GENERAL

- "Social Studies courses other than History"

- "Wild ideas for what would count as Social Studies"

- "What order do I teach Social Studies?"

- "History sequence"

"For those who have NOT done a 4-year history cycle in high school"

"What does 'one credit World History' actually mean?"

"Please list what you use for History, Government, and Economics - Hoping to get a list to research"

- "The English credit/Great Books/integrating History & Lit"

ECON and GOV'T

"US Government/Economics -- is it necessary?"

"US Government, Economics"

"Economics and Government suggestions"

"Secular and quick/easy Gov't? Same for Econ?"

"Government and Economics -- not rigorous"
"Help! American Gov and Econ for 12th grade"

"Please list what you use for Amer. History, Government, and Economics"

"Economics from a balanced perspective?"

"Quick/get-it-done Economics"

"AP Economics?"

"Help with novels that teach economic principles"

"Any reason NOT to tackle Government in 9th grade?"

"Literature course to line up with US Gov't/Civics"

"Great Courses Government?"

"AP Gov't - at home?"

"Looking for ideas for documentaries and movies for Government"

AMERICAN HISTORY

"Need help choosing American History curriculum"

"What curriculum for American History?"

"Get 'er done American History for 11th grade"

"Interesting American History text for high school"

"Self education: American History"

"20th century American History for 9th grader?"

"High school History sequence question/1 credit American History suggestions needed"

"Movies to supplement US History"

"American Gov't before American History?"

PHILOSOPHY

"Book list ideas for History, Philosophy, and Government interests"

"Philosophy course for senior"

"Philosophy class"

"Philosophy course"

"Help creating a home-grown Philosophy course"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1