Menu

Piano advice needed

Our piano teacher (private, very good but $$$$) is suddenly moving across the country.

Both my boys (7 & 12) have been taking lessons with him for several years. The 7 yo has struggled with practicing, but generally the enjoy it. So I have continued to chauffeur them and pay the heaps of money.

They are both quite musical and have vocal talent as well as natural ability with music theory.

I'm pretty sure it will feel like a downgrade if we do some method other than private, individual lessons.

Have you tried online lessons, or lessons via FaceTime or Skype? How does one go about finding a new piano mentor? My eldest is also interested in organ, and this instructor who is moving is an accomplished organist (was even considered for a Grammy last year). He was their associate choir director, that is how we came to him in the first place. He was offered a big promotion at another church, so here we are....

Any thoughts/ideas?

I'd ask around for personal recommendations on teachers. If you particularly want somebody who works similarly to the teacher you have, ask him. Otherwise, contact other young pianists that you or your kids admire and find out who teaches them. Regarding online or other non traditional learning methods, yes, it would be a downgrade. I wouldn't ever choose to do that if I had the means to arrange in-person, one-on-one lessons; it would only be a last resort to avoid dropping the lessons completely.

Edited by IsabelC

Our piano teacher of 6 years just retired at the end of this year. She gave us a list of recommendations. I also wrote messages to all our various groups (co-op, church) to get recommendations from people. Then I wrote those people to see about prices and to get an idea of their style/philosophy. It was hard though as we found most people were way more expensive or were not accepting new students. 

In the end, we found someone who one of other students from our old teacher had found. We were all talking about getting a gift for the old teacher and sharing what we were going to do next year and this guy's name came up and he sounded like a good fit. We've only had one lesson so far but I think he's going to work great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can advice Digital piano . Digital pianos are a great choice for many people who want the quality and sound of an acoustic piano whilst being able to transport the instrument from location to location. If you need a piano for concerts or gigs, then a digital piano can be a good alternative. You can also choose a digital piano if you are trying to learn to play the piano. Many of the top digital pianos come with some sort of tuition option as well as some great features to help make learning to play the piano fun and easy. I am using Yamaha DGX650B and it is one of the best digital piano on the market .

Edited by CindyBraver