Menu

If you are Vegan or Vegetarian, what do you eat?

Ginevra

I hope that doesn't sound snarky; I realize it could with a certain tone. 😊. So, no tone; I'm asking: what does your typical family meal situation look like? What are your go-tos? Does your family eat the same way or do you just eat something different? If you are an ethical vegan, how does this work when you host meals yourself? (Ex., do you serve animal goods against your ethical predisposition, or make all-vegan food, knowing some guests will be uncomfortable?)

Also, if you converted in adulthood, how has changing been?

I really would love anything anyone would like to share with me. I was a vegg for a short while early in adulthood, but it was social food that really seemd to become an obstacle for me. I don't really see myself being a vegetarian or vegan again, but I do think I might be into some health benefits. I was slimmer and never bloated when I was vegg and I wonder about that. Also just think it would be better for my cardio system if I ate little or no meat, but I really have no idea how that could work within our family eating structure (we eat homemade dinners together almost daily as a family).

• Like 3

dd and I went vegetarian this winter.  What we eat has morphed and is always changing.  We don't have a/c so I cook less in summer.  If it can't be grilled I don't cook.  

I make smoothies for breakfast.  I will do toast with nut butter or vegetarian granola with almond milk.  

Lunch is usually a veggie soup for me, sometimes pasta.  Salad, beans/rice, roasted veggies.  

Dinner I try to make something I can make meat on the side for dh and ds.  Tonight will be potatoes and 2 veggies for dd/myself, but the boys will have a beef sausage to go with it.  I roast or grill veggies a lot.  I put those in tortillas or over rice with more veggies on top.  Salads.  I like soups but dd not as much, so I don't make them much.  I am still eating some fish from time to time, so I know one night a week I do a baked fish.  Fried rice with veggies.  

I pretty much buy veggies I like and make them.  Or have beans and rice...we try different seasonings to give variety.  Salads we just rotate dressings.  Right now we are in a rut.  We have been super busy and I'm ready to make new recipes but if the weather heats up in the next 2 weeks I'll be back to grill only or simple items.  

I hope to go through recipes this summer and line up some new things to cook this fall when it gets cooler again. 

• Like 2

My daughter's been vegetarian (not vegan) for 7 years.  

Vegetarian entrees / main dishes (on these nights, we all eat a vegetarian meal):

Lasagna

Felafel

Spanakopita

Quiche

Pizza

Stuffed ravioli, shells etc

"Dual" meals with a veggie and meat version in same base or sauce (on these nights, I fix up one big pot of the common part, then parcel out into two pots, one with fish/chicken/beef and the other with chickpeas/tofu/paneer):

Chili

Curries

Tangines

Stir fries

Enchiladas/burritoes

(Burgers/veggie burgers)

"Modular" meals with all-sorts-of-fixings that family members assemble on their own, with or without meat as desired:

Tacos

Stuffed baked potatoes (leftover chili being one of the toppings)

Pesto pasta (with chicken chunks or mozzarella balls to add in as wanted)

And then some "meat" nights we have a new entree and she has veggie leftovers, or I make sure there's a "heavy" side with nuts or eggs thrown in that she can double-dip into.

• Like 5

I use Jill McKeever's YouTube recipes and her book ALL THE TIME. I love her instant pot recipes- so quick and easy!

We also eat rice, beans, meatless tacos, pasta, "Reuben" sandwiches with sautéed onion and peppers instead of corned beef, soups in the cold months, and lots of fruit/veggies. I am also addicted to humus.

When I cook for guests, I will often buy things I normally don't just because I know it is something they enjoy, but I never cook meat. If the meal is yummy and has a side, salad, and dessert, everyone seems happy even though there isn't meat.

• Like 4

dd and I went vegetarian this winter. What we eat has morphed and is always changing. We don't have a/c so I cook less in summer. If it can't be grilled I don't cook.

I make smoothies for breakfast. I will do toast with nut butter or vegetarian granola with almond milk.

Lunch is usually a veggie soup for me, sometimes pasta. Salad, beans/rice, roasted veggies.

Dinner I try to make something I can make meat on the side for dh and ds. Tonight will be potatoes and 2 veggies for dd/myself, but the boys will have a beef sausage to go with it. I roast or grill veggies a lot. I put those in tortillas or over rice with more veggies on top. Salads. I like soups but dd not as much, so I don't make them much. I am still eating some fish from time to time, so I know one night a week I do a baked fish. Fried rice with veggies.

I pretty much buy veggies I like and make them. Or have beans and rice...we try different seasonings to give variety. Salads we just rotate dressings. Right now we are in a rut. We have been super busy and I'm ready to make new recipes but if the weather heats up in the next 2 weeks I'll be back to grill only or simple items.

I hope to go through recipes this summer and line up some new things to cook this fall when it gets cooler again.

What do you grill?

The snarky bit of me always answers that question with a shrug and "food," because the question in real life is usually so incredulous. :p

Last night I made homemade seitan/chickpea beer brats and served them on pretzel buns with a broccoli slaw dressed with an improvised dressing that started out as cashew sour cream. We also had green beans. We picked strawberries that morning so we had strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

As for what to grill? I like the Tofurky brats or the Field Roast grain meats. We also grill seitan "steaks," tofu, tempeh, and oodles of vegetables. For a sometime treat we'll get the beefless burgers from Gardein or the Beast Burgers from Beyond Meat. I like mine topped with mushrooms and onions. Sometimes we'll get a vegan cheese, but more often than not I'll go without. Dh smokes soy curls, tofu, and seitan. For Christmas, I made a seitan "ham" that he smoked. Hold the Pig Skin is a vegan tailgating blog that dh gets lots of ideas from. Last week he made corn dogs on the grill with Field Roast Frankfurters and served it with a big grilled vegetable salad with a poppyseed dressing over shredded brussels sprouts.

For holidays, I'll often make Dreena Burton's No-fu Love Loaf or get the Field Roast en croute. We have standard holiday sides and I make a much requested mushroom gravy. For holidays at my parents' house I often have to bring just about an entire meal. It's been getting better the longer I'm vegan, but one of my sisters has made it her personal mission to make it better so that has helped.

For every day meals we have things like spaghetti and chili. Otherwise, lots of bowls that start with a grain and then topped with beans and lots of veggies plus a variety of sauces. We like to have "sushi" bowls with brown sushi rice, edamame, mango, red pepper, cucumber, and carrots. I cut up nori that we sprinkle on top along with pickled ginger, sesame seeds, and chili garlic sauce. Burrito bowls have rice, pinto beans, salsa, and burrito type toppings. Faro bowls have roasted chickpeas, spinach, raisins, and a garlic-y sauce.

We like tacos and nachos and burritos. We eat sandwiches and pizza and mac and cheese. We eat soup and stews. We like flavors inspired by African, Indian, Korean, Japanese, and Middle Eastenr flavors. I make breads and muffins, cakes and cookies.

Sometimes I check cookbooks out from the library and then cook my way through them. I have a few cookbooks I bought and use everyday. And sometimes I start with an idea the kids or dh has had about something eaten that wasn't vegan and then I'll veganize it. Other times, we get ideas from vegan YouTube channels we're subscribed to.

When I host, I make vegan food. I make good food and never have complaints. We usually do potluck style gatherings, so if someone feels they must have meat (usually my mom), they can bring it already made. I do not host cookouts at my house because I don't want meat cooked on my grill, but when invited to a cookout, we'll bring our vegan main and dh will either cook it or just hang around while it's cooked to supervise a bit.

Eating out can be challenging. Taco Bell usually saves the day when traveling. Otherwise you get adept at figuring out vegan options. I research as much as I can online first so I go in with a plan. Sometimes it's just not possible. I'll order a beverage and eat afterwards. Ditto other gatherings. I can usually find something to nibble on or drink and then eat afterwards. Tonight there was a pizza party for dd's soccer team. It was at this local restaurant that had a "salad" bar that had iceberg lettuce as the only vegetable. I got a soda and had a sandwich at home.

I've been vegan since Jan 1, 2015. I've maintained a vegan household since then. Dh had quite a lot of GI issues pre-vegan that were solved by going vegan. We both lost quite a bit of weight - like 140+ lbs combined. My kids eat vegan at home. I will buy them vegetarian meals at restaurants and they often eat non-veg when with other people. Dh sometimes eats vegetarian instead of vegan when not at home due to his job and a lack of options out in the further corners of the county.

In addition to weight loss my biometrics all improved. It also helps fuel my running which I started about 6 mos after going vegan. I think I answered all the questions I saw in both posts. I'd be glad to answer most other questions, but am not really interested in debate. It works for me, but of course, YMMV.

• Like 6

We like veggie burgers and spicy black bean burgers, so I'm hoping to learn to make these myself soon.

I agree with baked potatoes....

I'm dairy free too so it limits me in some ways. I just buy good food and figured out ways to prepare it that I like. Veggie pizza with no cheese is my current favorite. I make tortillas and bread sometimes. And we try a new veggie or fruit weekly.

I've lost 30 pounds and my stomach issues are resolved.

• Like 7

Here's a good recipe site that gives a decent overview of what a healthy vegetarian diet might look like. https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/page/3/

That said, I made hamburger helper tonight with Boca crumbles, minced onion, shredded carrot and chayote mixed in. Not super healthy. I needed something quick to feed my kids after a day out. 

I think i eat pretty normal food. soups, salads, sandwiches, coffee, tea, lots of veggies. I do eat eggs and a bit of cheese, and some seafood. 

We use subs like nut milks, nondairy creamer, veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie steak strips, vegan butter, real butter. Not tons, but it helps make my kids happy and boosts my protein while making my life easier. 

I'm not crazy about breakfast foods-too much carbs and animal products-so I often have a salad in the summer or a warm veggie hash in the winter. 

I cook meat for holidays. Sometimes we have a turkey for thanksgiving. sometimes i make spinach lasagna. it just depends how we are feeling and what we can afford that year. If I were just having dinner guests, I would make a fancy, delicious vegetarian meal. an excellent vegetarian or vegan meal leaves the guests not realizing they didn't eat meat, because it is satisfying and flavorful. 

• Like 1

This months menu is really weak compared to my usual fare because we will be out of the house so much. 

Bean soup

Grilled cheese-provolone, swiss, and sharp cheddar

stroganoff with beefy strips (new for me. usually just use mushrooms and peas)

Potatoes augratin with broccoli and cauliflower

gumbo(this one does have meat, because D left some raw chicken in the freezer for months and it needs to be used up, but I can do a veggie one, too)

jamabalaya

burritos

chili beans and spanish rice

Krab and cucumber mini sushi ( not veg, but can be. also used radishes, snap peas, and strawberries)

lasagna

butternut alfredo

cheeseburger mac

green salads topped with poached eggs or veggie chicken patties or veggie burger

yellow rice and beans

red beans and rice

sweet potato curry

stirfried brussel sprouts, sauteed cabbage, veggie potstickers, rice

cabbage soup with dumplings

croquetes

spinach and barley soup

lentil porridge

egg drop soup with shredded carrot and radish

cold cereal with almond milk

pastry and fruit for kids

• Like 4

I decided to go vegan a few years ago. It was an easy physical and mental shift. I have always leaned that way.  I gradually adapted our two kids to vegetarian and then vegan over a period of time. My ds(now 15) adjusted easily (he just loves to eat!). Dd17 adjusted more slowly with lots of complaining and eye rolling but she's now the most willingly compliant (besides me). Dh has been the most resistant. He travels a lot so he has gotten used to eating as he pleases; generally unhealthy choices. He says he wants to change how he eats but struggles to do so. 

I started eating vegan and no oil for health reasons but now embrace ethical veganism as well.

We eat:

bean and rice bowls

pasta (spaghetti, lasagna, stuffed shells, baked ziti, etc.) dd's favorite meal is spaghetti

burritos

soup

quesadillas

salad

curry vegetables with rice

fried rice, tofu and potstickers

potatoes with toppings

sandwiches with grilled or sauteed veggies

Asian style noodles with broccoli slaw mix

veggie burgers (homemade-this is ds's favorite lunch)

chili

I'm running out of ideas as far as what we eat. It isn't like that in real life. We're not big on fake meats or cheeses. We're just as happy to skip them. 

I do struggle with what to feed guests. I don't prepare meat but I will buy cheese sometimes when we have company. That's my own insecurity over pleasing people with regard to food. I need to get over it.

Edited by samba
  • Like 3

I've been vegan since Jan 1, 2015. I've maintained a vegan household since then. Dh had quite a lot of GI issues pre-vegan that were solved by going vegan. We both lost quite a bit of weight - like 140+ lbs combined. My kids eat vegan at home. I will buy them vegetarian meals at restaurants and they often eat non-veg when with other people. Dh sometimes eats vegetarian instead of vegan when not at home due to his job and a lack of options out in the further corners of the county.

In addition to weight loss my biometrics all improved. It also helps fuel my running which I started about 6 mos after going vegan. I think I answered all the questions I saw in both posts. I'd be glad to answer most other questions, but am not really interested in debate. It works for me, but of course, YMMV.

Thank you for your thourough reply. I'm not looking for debate, either. I'd like to eat less meat and I already eat little dairy due to IBS/Lactose Intolerance. But when I eat socially, that's when it sort of falls apart. Crab feasts, cookouts, end-of-season sports parties, Independence Day, out to dinner...this is when I don't want to stand out or seem like I'm being difficult and many people do take it personally if you don't eat their food. So that's a bit of an issue.

• Like 1

My daughter's been vegetarian (not vegan) for 7 years.  

Vegetarian entrees / main dishes (on these nights, we all eat a vegetarian meal):

Lasagna

Felafel

Spanakopita

Quiche

Pizza

Stuffed ravioli, shells etc

"Dual" meals with a veggie and meat version in same base or sauce (on these nights, I fix up one big pot of the common part, then parcel out into two pots, one with fish/chicken/beef and the other with chickpeas/tofu/paneer):

Chili

Curries

Tangines

Stir fries

Enchiladas/burritoes

(Burgers/veggie burgers)

"Modular" meals with all-sorts-of-fixings that family members assemble on their own, with or without meat as desired:

Tacos

Stuffed baked potatoes (leftover chili being one of the toppings)

Pesto pasta (with chicken chunks or mozzarella balls to add in as wanted)

And then some "meat" nights we have a new entree and she has veggie leftovers, or I make sure there's a "heavy" side with nuts or eggs thrown in that she can double-dip into.

My son (the 10 year old) has been a vegetarian for ethical reasons for about 4 years. This is pretty much exactly what we eat. 

Thank you for your thourough reply. I'm not looking for debate, either. I'd like to eat less meat and I already eat little dairy due to IBS/Lactose Intolerance. But when I eat socially, that's when it sort of falls apart. Crab feasts, cookouts, end-of-season sports parties, Independence Day, out to dinner...this is when I don't want to stand out or seem like I'm being difficult and many people do take it personally if you don't eat their food. So that's a bit of an issue.

It's probably harder for an adult as people are used to kids being picky and maybe don't ask as many questions or bug a kid about choices but ds can almost always find something to eat. Usually he makes a meal from sides. So at a picnic he would have coleslaw, salad, fruit salad, and chips. If it's a cookout he'll take a bun and put cheese on it (he's not vegan) and then add whatever toppings are available. When we go out we find that there is almost always a vegetarian section on the menu, sometimes it's limited but there is usually something. Fast food is the biggest hurdle which really is only an issue when on a road trip. We usually try to find a Subway so he can do a veggie sub. But I've even had burger joints do the burger without a patty thing so he just has a bun and cheese and toppings. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 4

I figured you weren't keen on debating, but wanted to put that out there because that's where these sorts of threads seem to go. There are people who disagree or think vegan ethics are silly. While I'm open to answering most everyone's questions, I don't have interest in debating my ethical position to satisfy omnivores who have no interest in going vegan. Which I figured probably wasn't your thing, but you know how threads go.

I definitely understand your feeling re: social situations. I started for health and shifted for ethics. Somewhere along the way meat became solidly in the "not food" category for me. For me, the question from other people of "Don't you miss eating bacon?" (or chicken or beef, etc) is a bit like "Don't you miss eating paper? Well, no because paper isn't food." For me, meat isn't food.

The other thing is that as time goes on, your tastebuds change. I had a fried rice once along the way that wold have been vegan were it not for the eggs. I was hungry and choices were slim so I had the rice. That's when I discovered I didn't like eggs anymore. Yuck. Same thing with cheese. At one point, I had a slice of pizza with cheese on it. Melted cheese, imo, has such a weird texture to it - especially if it cools even the slightest. It was not pleasant. And the smells? Ewww, just going into the pizza place last night with their "broaster chicken" vented out near the door was icky. It does not smell good to me.

I have also developed a zeros forks policy. I care zero forks for what anyone else thinks about what I eat. They don't have to like it or share my opinion. I can be kind and considerate regarding what they eat and expect the same in return. If they cannot be kind or considerate then I will do my best to avoid them.

I prefer potluck situations because I can bring something to eat that can double as my entire meal. It usually goes quickly. If it's something where I don't bring something with then I'll stake out the things I can eat. Have that on your plate and nurse that for as long as possible. Be a good guest in every other way and be as polite to pushy people as possible.

At some point you may even have to bring out the vegan or vegetarian card just to be more forceful. Dh finds people get weird then. The question "What do you even eat?" then comes up. Jerks will be jerks. Dh has some coworkers that then like to scruitinze everything he eats and try to catch him not eating veg*n as if they're his own personal veg*n police.

Another option is to consider yourself a flexitarian. Maybe you eat veg*n at home and most social gatherings, but x, y, and z times you don't because Aunt Shirley is just a pain and you don't want to deal with it. I remember reading that Isa Chandra Moskowitz says she always left the door open to eat something non-vegan if she really, really wanted it. She said she had never has because she found vegan alternatives that satisfied the desire. You don't have to be 100% at first or maybe ever. You can cut yourself some slack.

Really, though, people are so weird about food. They wrap it up in so many other issues and feelings that it can feel like a proverbial minefield. I wish that it was different/easier.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 2

I have been vegetarian my entire adult life (over 20 years) and vegan for parts of that time.  Dh is also vegetarian for roughly the same span of time and dd has been her entire life.  Again, both have been vegan at times.

Having been veggie for so long, what to eat is not even something I think about.  Everything except meat.  Most foods do not contain meat so it does not seem limiting to me at all.  Vegetarians are everywhere so there are always things to eat in every social situation I can think of.  Same with restaurants.  We did find it far more difficult to navigate social situations when vegan and to be honest, it was the biggest factor in our decision to go back to regular vegetarian.  At home, we mostly eat vegan. 

I do not cook meat for anyone.  I cannot imagine a guest would be "uncomfortable" about eating a single meat-free meal as a guest in my home.  I cook whatever I normally would, taking dietary needs and preferences into account, and call it good.  In potluck situations, our guests refrain from bringing meat dishes just out of respect but if someone did, that would not be a problem.....as long as they take the leftovers home with them.  No one has asked to grill meat on our BBQ at a potluck but that would be one line I would not cross.

It really isn't a big deal.  At all.  I put about zero thought into it on a daily basis.  Unless asked about it, it is not even something I think of as unusual or think it even an "interesting fact" about my family.  I might need to get better about this.  Multiple times now, I have forgotten to mention it on sleep-away camp forms for dd or to her coaches for sport travel situations.  Luckily, it is so common now that measures were in place by default so it was not a problem.  Dd does usually have at least one high-calorie snack bar of some type on her at all times just in case.

• Like 3

I'll add another question to the mix. What if you're vegetarian or vegan and have to be gluten and corn-free? Anyone gone that route?

yes, and dairy and soy free too.

I found that it didn't have much impact on the way we eat. I subbed different grains or just served the food without the grain. Lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches, or just the fillings in a bowl or on a plate, or on top of a salad. 

Soy was tough because most meat subs are soy based. Quorn, and some others are not. so we switched. 

At some point, restrictions can be a problem, but I haven't quite gotten to that point. 

• Like 2

The snarky bit of me always answers that question with a shrug and "food," because the question in real life is usually so incredulous. :p

I know most people ask because their brains just run on a different set of tracks, but I've also been SHOCKED to find out how many people don't know what either term means (or how they differ.)  And I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, lol.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to share that my grocery store carries goat milk soap labeled "vegan".  :huh:

At pot lucks, I often bring vegetarian, if not vegan, foods.  I refuse to label them as such, because I've seen people get scared by the words!

• Like 4

My daughter is a gluten free vegan. Talk about hard to plan meals . I'll give you a typical day.

She eats gluten free/ dairy free breads, toast, bagels, muffins etc along with fruit smoothies in the morning.

Lunch could consist of corn chip, salsa, beans and rice. It could also be veggies and hummus. She also loves bean/ veggie burgers on gf buns

Dinner might be gf pasta and sauce, lentil soup, veggie bites, bakes potatoes / carrots/ onions , kale and quinoa bowls ..

• Like 3

My daughter is a gluten free vegan. Talk about hard to plan meals . I'll give you a typical day.

She eats gluten free/ dairy free breads, toast, bagels, muffins etc along with fruit smoothies in the morning.

Lunch could consist of corn chip, salsa, beans and rice. It could also be veggies and hummus. She also loves bean/ veggie burgers on gf buns

Dinner might be gf pasta and sauce, lentil soup, veggie bites, bakes potatoes / carrots/ onions , kale and quinoa bowls ..

I could do this IF corn liked me, which it doesn't - causes (painful!) arthritic symptoms in my hands (especially fingers) and lower back if I consume it. HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) I will feel RIGHT away. The other derivatives I usually feel the next day. SO many gluten subsitutes are corn-based.

Anyway, I've been contemplating going vegan for awhile for health reasons. I don't think I'll ever be 100%, though, because I truly enjoy a good meat entree once in awhile. 

Will continue to follow this thread for ideas, though!

• Like 2

I know most people ask because their brains just run on a different set of tracks, but I've also been SHOCKED to find out how many people don't know what either term means (or how they differ.)  And I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, lol.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to share that my grocery store carries goat milk soap labeled "vegan".  :huh:

At pot lucks, I often bring vegetarian, if not vegan, foods.  I refuse to label them as such, because I've seen people get scared by the words!

Yes, many people aren't sure what vegan means. 

My dd is away from home as a camp counselor. She prefers to eat vegan but is having to settle for vegetarian. The camp kitchen doesn't seem to understand "vegan". Her roommate is also vegan and is trying to stay 100% compliant. The kitchen staff is asking "Can you eat potatoes? They are giving her plenty of salad and fruit but they aren't sure what else vegans eat.  :confused1:

• Like 2

I have been a vegetarian my entire life and so has my family. We are from India, so most of the meals I cook at home are Indian. We have rice and curries, lots of lentil preparations, stir fries, bean curries. Fruit salads and veggie salads, soups are common too. Other grains like quinoa, teff, millet and barley also get used instead of rice Since coming to the US, we have started adding oatmeal, homemade pancakes and waffles to our breakfast routines in addition to lentil crepes, etc.

I do not like the taste of the meat substitutes on the market and have never needed to replace meats, so never really use them at home. As a previous poster said, almost all restaurants have some veg*n options, so eating while traveling hasn't been a problem. We do always carry some sandwiches / snacks with us.

If you wanted to limit / reduce the amount of meat you eat, I think it would be pretty easy. Breakfasts and lunches could be very easily veg*n and when you sit down to dinner with the family, you could then eat lesser portions of meat.

Have you read the Vegan before 6 book ? It might have some useful ideas!

A recently discovered link that has lots of recipes:

http://plantbaseddietitian.com/what-vegans-eat-sample-meal-plans-made-simple-hundreds-of-recipes/

• Like 3

Yea, the tone is kind of difficult. I kept wanting to answer "food" on the forum game thread, but I like you.

If you were to ask me the thread title at a social situation, like church or Park Day, I would just say I was so stuffed I couldn't eat another bite and then sneak out to get something to scarf quickly and surreptitiously in the bathroom.

We eat home cooked meals. Some of them are from vegetarian cookbooks, magazines, and websites and others are my own adaptations of recipes that originally called for meat and dairy that I don't think about any more than you think about the recipe that calls for baking chocolate, which you don't have, but you know how much cocoa and oil to use instead.

When I invite people over for a meal, I cook food that I enjoy cooking and that I know I cook well. If they are rude, I do not invite them again.

I've been veg since I was eight, vegan since my daughter's dairy allergies were diagnosed so twenty five years. The smell of meat that you find so appealing and appetizing is less pleasant to me than the smell of your doggie's diarrhea episode, so I am trying very hard not to hurt your feelings when you wave it in my face and say, "Yum yum yum! Why don't you enjoy yourself for a change? You don't look too healthy! Mmmmm mmmmm mmmm!"

I also know that if I am the only vegetarian in the group, all vegetarians will be judged by my behaviour just as all homeschoolers are judged by someone who's only experience with homeschoolers was that Blessed Little Homestead family.

Does that help at all?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Those of you mentioning soups: what soups do you especially like?

Off the top of my head, I make a broccoli "cheese" soup based on a cheesey sauce I make with potatoes and carrots. There's also a "clam" chowder recipe from the cookbook called "Isa Does It" she titled "Glam Chowder." And I make a soup that hits similar notes as chicken noodle soup, but without the chicken. Oh, and my kids hate it, but I love roasted butternut squash soup.

Maybe we should start from what you like? What kinds of soup do you enjoy eating? We can probably come up with vegan options. :D

• Like 1

Those of you mentioning soups: what soups do you especially like?

We live on soup all winter.  Soup with a crusty bread is on the menu at least 3 times a week and occasionally every day.  Most of our soups are based on legumes.  Lots of black bean, white bean, lentils, split peas, etc....  I stopped using recipes years ago.  I just add whatever veggies we have or whatever looks good at the store.  There is often a grain component as well.  If I have two cups of rice leftover from a stir fry, I'll toss it in the tomato soup right before serving.  If I need to protein up a soup, I'll crack an egg person in 5 minutes before serving or top with chopped up avocado or even chopped nuts.  Stuff like that.  No two soups are ever the same.  My personal favorite is a tomato-based black-eyed pea and kale soup with a handful of small whole wheat pasta tossed in during the last 10 minutes.  

• Like 4

Yea, the tone is kind of difficult. I kept wanting to answer "food" on the forum game thread, but I like you.

If you were to ask me the thread title at a social situation, like church or Park Day, I would just say I was so stuffed I couldn't eat another bite and then sneak out to get something to scarf quickly and surreptitiously in the bathroom.

We eat home cooked meals. Some of them are from vegetarian cookbooks, magazines, and websites and others are my own adaptations of recipes that originally called for meat and dairy that I don't think about any more than you think about the recipe that calls for baking chocolate, which you don't have, but you know how much cocoa and oil to use instead.

When I invite people over for a meal, I cook food that I enjoy cooking and that I know I cook well. If they are rude, I do not invite them again.

I've been veg since I was eight, vegan since my daughter's dairy allergies were diagnosed so twenty five years. The smell of meat that you find so appealing and appetizing is less pleasant to me than the smell of your doggie's diarrhea episode, so I am trying very hard not to hurt your feelings when you wave it in my face and say, "Yum yum yum! Why don't you enjoy yourself for a change? You don't look too healthy! Mmmmm mmmmm mmmm!"

I also know that if I am the only vegetarian in the group, all vegetarians will be judged by my behaviour just as all homeschoolers are judged by someone who's only experience with homeschoolers was that Blessed Little Homestead family.

Does that help at all?

Well, it's interesting that you and mamarby said that about smells, because I do not think meat smells delcious and sometimes, it bothers me more than others, especially if someone else is eating it but I'm not. (To be fair, there are some veg things for which this is also true, i.e., peanut butter.)

There is one situation where, as a meat-eater, I am sometimes the minority: my book club. One was a long-time vegetarian who went vegan in the past year; she is probably the largest reason why I'm thinking about this at the moment. I also happen to know her DH went vegan, too, which is highly surprising; it's not something I expect much from people 40 and over. Anecdotally, all the veg people I know IRL are highly intelligent, learned people. I think there is something in that.

Off the top of my head, I make a broccoli "cheese" soup based on a cheesey sauce I make with potatoes and carrots. There's also a "clam" chowder recipe from the cookbook called "Isa Does It" she titled "Glam Chowder." And I make a soup that hits similar notes as chicken noodle soup, but without the chicken. Oh, and my kids hate it, but I love roasted butternut squash soup.

Maybe we should start from what you like? What kinds of soup do you enjoy eating? We can probably come up with vegan options. :D

I usually prefer soups that are further in the stew/chowder direction; I am not a big fan of puréd types of soup. I love chicken noodle soup with big, homemade noodles and lots of veggies; it wouldn't bother me if it were the same soup without chicken pieces in it, but I can't imagine how I could make one without the chicken broth. (Also, I use chicken stock very often, almost daily, as a base in many things I cook.) I love Brocolli cheese soup and Potatoe soup. I haven't found ways to remove dairy from these, even though it is in my best interest not to have it. I use Lactaid Milk instead of the milk or cream and use Cabots (LF) Cheddar for the cheese. I also like Chicken Tortilla Soup (chicken stock and meat again). I like a vegetable beef soup (beef stock and ground beef in it). I love Wonton soup and I really liked the soup Panera bread restaurants had in the winter that was Thai Chicken Wonton. This seemed like something that could easily be veg if you could make or buy wontons that are non-meat.

One worry I do have is getting enough protein. It is part of why I quit when I was veg in my twenties. When I conceived my first child, I was concerned about my lack of protein. I do not *love* beans or lentils, although I suppose I could come to like them if I had some decent recipes. I like kidney beans and black beans (learned to like them in adulthood), but I don't use them much outside of mexican-type dishes.

I collect cookbooks and recipes. My family isn't vegan but I am (25+ years). I've also never been a fan of "it tastes like meat" products, so I can't recommend anything on that end. 

My youngest has severe food allergies, so I make everything from scratch. 

We love  - 

veggie burgers (a multitude of different types) 

three-bean chili

burritos 

rice and bean bowls 

giant salads with raw nuts, seeds, and homemade avocado dressing

soups and stews

smoothies

tofu tikka masala

pizza (I like to add roasted veggies and nutritional yeast to mine) 

tofu scramble

"fried" rice - rice with almonds and tofu and numerous seasonings, all sautéed in cast iron pan

mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes with sautéed kale (okay - this isn't really a full meal but I love to eat it more than just about anything)

Lots of deserts and baking goes on here too. 
Cookies - you name it

baked breakfast bars with oats, raisins, dried cherries, and dark chocolate chips

muffins - you name it

cakes - same

bread

Some of our favorite spices and seasonings (some vegan food can be pretty darn bland) - Spike, Bragg's liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, curry, turmeric, paprika, garlic, green onions, garam masala, ginger root, etc. etc. - I buy spices in bulk because we go through them so quickly.

• Like 4

I usually prefer soups that are further in the stew/chowder direction; I am not a big fan of puréd types of soup. I love chicken noodle soup with big, homemade noodles and lots of veggies; it wouldn't bother me if it were the same soup without chicken pieces in it, but I can't imagine how I could make one without the chicken broth. (Also, I use chicken stock very often, almost daily, as a base in many things I cook.) I love Brocolli cheese soup and Potatoe soup. I haven't found ways to remove dairy from these, even though it is in my best interest not to have it. I use Lactaid Milk instead of the milk or cream and use Cabots (LF) Cheddar for the cheese. I also like Chicken Tortilla Soup (chicken stock and meat again). I like a vegetable beef soup (beef stock and ground beef in it). I love Wonton soup and I really liked the soup Panera bread restaurants had in the winter that was Thai Chicken Wonton. This seemed like something that could easily be veg if you could make or buy wontons that are non-meat.

One worry I do have is getting enough protein. It is part of why I quit when I was veg in my twenties. When I conceived my first child, I was concerned about my lack of protein. I do not *love* beans or lentils, although I suppose I could come to like them if I had some decent recipes. I like kidney beans and black beans (learned to like them in adulthood), but I don't use them much outside of mexican-type dishes.

I use veggie stock almost daily.  I make and can my own but it is readily available in stores too.  I actually make different stocks for different uses so they all taste different.  Mushroom stock is especially "meaty" tasting IMO.

I'm not sure what the official research is on protein at the moment but last I checked, Americans were getting WAY more than they need.  I don't think about it myself.  I was vegan during my pregnancy and two years of breastfeeding with no issue at all...unless you count my backup doctor (I had a home birth with a midwife) freaking out about it.  He actually said, "pregnant women cannot be vegetarian."  Uh, yes they can, watch me.  Of course he also said they should not exercise either so.......  I pretty much quit listening to him after that. 

My dd is quite athletic and I also workout daily and again, the protein thing just does not seem to be an issue. She has a  few older and even more athletic teammates that are vegetarian.  The coaches have weekly mini-sessions about proper sports nutrition and they include recommendations for the vegetarians without suggesting that it is an unusual issue.  I do like legumes and we often snack on nuts, whole grains, and other high-protien foods but I would also guess there are days when I eat far less protein than what I "should" with no ill effect.  I get more concerned about fat as there will be strings of days, especially when it is hot and the produce is abundant, that I do not consume much fat.  

Each person is so different that I do not doubt that there are people who needs to be careful about getting enough protein or whatever else, but unless you suspect you are one of those people, I would not let that concern you too much.  

• Like 2

I'm not vegan, but I follow a somewhat strict diet with maybe 6 oz of meat a day. I don't eat dairy, gluten or eggs, and only organic soy on occasion. Any packaged food that I eat is usually minimally processed. When I'm out and about I look for vegan options, and at home I would say I eat small amounts of meat with vegan sides. For breakfast I like smoothies with a vegan protein powder, coconut milk and coconut water, fruit and greens. I will either make my own or hit the local smoothie place. They make great salads that I try to recreate at home. One is chickpeas with veganaise, celery, cilantro, shallots, and various spices. I can't quite get it right. I love salads, and roasted beets or butternut squash is one of my current faves to add to a salad. I add nut or seeds to my salads also, and I prefer them to be sprouted. I love almond butter, but for some reason I have trouble swallowing it, so I eat it very carefully with some almond flour crackers for a snack. I'm also completely addicted to Soul Sprouts Nut Bars for a snack. I make some vegan soups - pumpkin or butternut squash, but I also drink bone broth a few times a week. I eat various types of gluten free oatmeal as long as the sugar isn't too high, and I use organic coconut milk. With my tea I love Nut Pods. It's the only creamer that tastes good with regular black tea, but it is expensive! I could easily go vegan completely, but I've been easing into the Wahls Protocol since my December diagnosis of MS. The largest focus of my diet at the moment is trying to get as close to the 9 cups of veggies/fruit that Dr. Wahls recommends. I can easily get my colors in but I usually fall short with the greens and sulfur veggies. In the future I may increase the meat and cut out legumes, but I'm happy with the amount I eat at the moment, especially as my stomach does not agree with more than 6 oz of meat a day. :ohmy: Since I've started eating this way I've lost 28 pounds without counting calories or tracking. I eat a good amount of healthy fats - coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, plus an avocado a day.

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 1

I eat soups year-round.  A brothy vegetable soup is my favorite.

I also regularly make a thick potato soup. Diced potatoes, onions and celery (carrots if you like). Water saute (or butter or oil if that fits how you eat) onions and celery until semi-tender. Add potatoes and broth.  Season with whatever you spices you like. Cook until tender. Some of the smaller potatoes will break down to thicken soup. Larger pieces will remain intact. Dh loves this soup. I also make a cauliflower soup almost exactly the same way. 

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/spicy-red-lentil-soup/#gs.U=DO0oY

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-cream-of-mushroom-soup

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/instant-pot-veggie-stew

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/featured/vegan-broccoli-cheddar-soup

http://thevegan8.com/2016/02/09/sweet-potato-broccoli-cheese-soup/

I have a sensitivity to nuts so there are recipes here that I avoid or adapt. White beans often stand in nicely for cashews. I mostly wing it with recipes but I do like McDougall, Klunker's Kitchen, Fat Free Vegan, Brand New Vegan or for YouTube Nini Girl or Jill McKeever's Simply Recipes.

• Like 2

I eat vegan about 50% of the year, due to Orthodox fasting requirements.  Exceptions: we don't get wine or olive oil but we do get shellfish.  I personally can NEVER have dairy or eggs due to allergies, so for me, the issue is meat and fish.

I get the same question from a lot of people, especially from inquirers into the faith.  HOW DO YOU DO IT? 

Answer:  a little bit at a time.  I recommend people eat vegan one day a week for 8 weeks, trying a new recipe each week.  And that they write them down.  Then, do 2 days a week (which is standard Orthodox practice, Wednesdays and Fridays) for 8 more weeks, learning how to eat the same thing *twice in one week* (gasp) by making a big batch.  By the time they attempt the longer fasts (vegan), they will have at least 8 recipes to go through rotation, and they can keep learning one a week.  

The other advantage to this is that it lets your body accustom itself slowly.  

And you have time to find the kinds of things that make it easier on you.  Like coconut milk "ice cream" or Beyond Meat" beef or chicken substitute, or how to use tofu so it tastes good and adds a lot of protein to your diet.  

One of the ways inquirers fail big time is to try to do it all overnight perfectly.  So unnecessary.  Just do a little at a time and you will be fine.  

I eat soups year-round. A brothy vegetable soup is my favorite.

I also regularly make a thick potato soup. Diced potatoes, onions and celery (carrots if you like). Water saute (or butter or oil if that fits how you eat) onions and celery until semi-tender. Add potatoes and broth. Season with whatever you spices you like. Cook until tender. Some of the smaller potatoes will break down to thicken soup. Larger pieces will remain intact. Dh loves this soup. I also make a cauliflower soup almost exactly the same way.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/spicy-red-lentil-soup/#gs.U=DO0oY

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-cream-of-mushroom-soup

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/instant-pot-veggie-stew

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/featured/vegan-broccoli-cheddar-soup

http://thevegan8.com/2016/02/09/sweet-potato-broccoli-cheese-soup/

I have a sensitivity to nuts so there are recipes here that I avoid or adapt. White beans often stand in nicely for cashews. I mostly wing it with recipes but I do like McDougall, Klunker's Kitchen, Fat Free Vegan, Brand New Vegan or for YouTube Nini Girl or Jill McKeever's Simply Recipes.

Thank you so much for those links! I am eager to try the Spicy Lentil, the Vegetable Stew and the Brocolli "Cheese" Soup. They look yummy and healthy.

A lot of the dairy type soups can be closely approximated with cashew cream, but if we're talking creamy in a cheesey sort of way then I like a combo of potatoes, carrots, onions, and cashews. A high powered blender helps, but if you start in advance and soak your cashews first then you can get by with a regular blender. Other recipes do similar things with cauliflower or white beans, but imo the cashew based ones do it better.

As for chicken stock...there are commercially available no-chicken and no-beef broths including the ones from Better than Bouillon. I like the later best. You can also find other alternatives online. I think Kathy Hester has one.

Dh made me no chicken noodle soup this winter when I wasn't feeling well with some egg free noodles, beyond meat chicken strips cut up, and veg in the no-chicken broth. It was lovely. I've had it with chickpeas in place of the strips and it's also lovely. Hot For Food (http://www.hotforfoodblog.com) had a similar recipe a couple of years ago. I really like Hot For Food's recipes.

For broccoli cheese soup, I make a close approximation to this one - http://ohsheglows.com/2017/01/20/vegan-broccoli-and-cheese-soup/

For something similar to a clam chowder I make this one from Isa - http://www.isachandra.com/2013/10/new-england-glam-chowder-video/

For chicken you can do things like soy curls, one of the Beyond Meat products or some slices of chicken style seitan (homemade or one of the commercially available ones). If the seasonings are right and hint enough at the flavors you associate with chicken then chickpeas or beans can stand in as protein.

For ground beef type things you can go with a commercially available product like Gardein, Beyond Meat, Tofurky, Lightlife, etc. or you can make your own beefy seitan and blitz that up in a food processor. And again, if you hit enough of the flavors associated with those beef dishes then beans can often still do the trick.

It's a combination of the umami factor (sun dried tomatoes, miso, mushrooms, tomato paste, etc) plus whatever you associate with that protein that vegan recipes usually rely upon.

• Like 1

I eat vegan about 50% of the year, due to Orthodox fasting requirements. Exceptions: we don't get wine or olive oil but we do get shellfish. I personally can NEVER have dairy or eggs due to allergies, so for me, the issue is meat and fish.

I get the same question from a lot of people, especially from inquirers into the faith. HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Answer: a little bit at a time. I recommend people eat vegan one day a week for 8 weeks, trying a new recipe each week. And that they write them down. Then, do 2 days a week (which is standard Orthodox practice, Wednesdays and Fridays) for 8 more weeks, learning how to eat the same thing *twice in one week* (gasp) by making a big batch. By the time they attempt the longer fasts (vegan), they will have at least 8 recipes to go through rotation, and they can keep learning one a week.

The other advantage to this is that it lets your body accustom itself slowly.

And you have time to find the kinds of things that make it easier on you. Like coconut milk "ice cream" or Beyond Meat" beef or chicken substitute, or how to use tofu so it tastes good and adds a lot of protein to your diet.

One of the ways inquirers fail big time is to try to do it all overnight perfectly. So unnecessary. Just do a little at a time and you will be fine.

I really like this idea. It might even go unnoticed (or not glaringly noticed) by the other people in the family for whom I cook.

• Like 1