Menu

No college tours when we are visiting (Update 7/16)

DawnM

UGH.  

During our visit there are no college tours.  We will have to walk around on our own and hope the building we want to show them is open.  I will call to find out.

I get it, but it is aggravating. This is the ONLY time we can go.

ETA: 7/16

We got a great college tour planned thanks to some folks on this board who recommended a school my son is VERY excited about!

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Do they offer summer classes there?  If so, is there a FB page (or similar) where you might be able to contact a current student to give you an informal tour?  I know my boys have given plenty of informal tours when they've seen parents/kids wandering around.  Hubby and I got one ourselves at our Alma mater on a visit last year - an offering from a friendly student who saw us looking at the new building (replaced our dorm) and struck up a conversation.

If there are no summer classes offered and no (summer) housing at all, I'm not sure what you can do.

What school?

We had wanted to tour Cal State Northridge.  We thought if we have time, maybe Long Beach as well, but LB is rather far down their list and we are extremely short on TIME this trip.

If we had time we would tour a few more, but we don't have time and CSUN is a first choice, so we plan to stop by.  I am familiar with the campus, although I didn't go there.  I have friends who went to grad school there and I used to go to the library on campus after church to study for grad school (but we are talking over 22 years ago, pre-marriage.)  I didn't go there, but it was close to church and convenient for Sun afternoon studying.

All that to say, we CAN drive over there and walk around, but honestly, all we want to see in detail is the animation/film building.

Edited by DawnM

All that to say, we CAN drive over there and walk around, but honestly, all we want to see in detail is the animation/film building.

Contact that department and ask. Even if the school's admissions office does not organize tours, perhaps the department would be willing to show an interested prospective student around.

• Like 12

Contact that department and ask. Even if the school's admissions office does not organize tours, perhaps the department would be willing to show an interested prospective student around.

Yeah, I think I can do that on Wed. 

Or maybe I could send an email tonight.

We are touring 5 universities around August 1st, and through a lot of effort, we have been able to arrange personal tours and meetings with faculty, admissions, and students at almost all the universities.  I think you just need to get some e-mails going and work hard to get what you want.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Nope, we cannot tour at all.

I did hear back from the department head and she was very nice.  She said that they are actually going to be under construction the entire time we are there and there is no access to the building we want to see, even for faculty.  They are clearing out the classroom and building of all furniture and supplies now so they can start.

Sigh.

I guess we will just park, walk around a bit on our own, and not see the actual area we had hoped.

• Like 1

Well that's lousy!

It is.  She said to come back in the Fall, but obviously, we can't do that.

It will be ok.  In fact, I am not entirely sure my middle son won't just start at CC anyway.  He doesn't seem motivated enough to get in gear for applications, etc....

Nope, we cannot tour at all.

I did hear back from the department head and she was very nice.  She said that they are actually going to be under construction the entire time we are there and there is no access to the building we want to see, even for faculty.  They are clearing out the classroom and building of all furniture and supplies now so they can start.

That's unfortunate. But at least they are doing the contruction during the summer, so that classes are not affected.

BTDT. We were kicked out of our building relocated for renovations for one summer, and it was a major PITA.

• Like 3

Well, if it makes you feel any better, only one of my kids had a chance to tour the college she eventually went to.  None of the others had that opportunity and it all worked out fine.

You aren't the first to tell me that, so that is encouraging.

I had an ulterior motive though.....I wanted to get them excited about the possibility of us moving back to CA.   :laugh:

• Like 3

Sometimes visiting a campus in the summer can leave a negative impression.  If there aren't any summer classes, the campus can sometimes appear empty and depressing.  I noticed this on a tour we took that was right after graduation and move-out but before summer classes had begun.  It was deserted and kind of a mess.  My dd decided against it.  

• Like 2

@Dawn: How long will you need to live in CA, before your DS can apply for admission as a CA Resident?   Sorry about the issue in Northridge, but nice that they are renovating the building your DS is most interested in.  

We are hoping to take DD to Lubbock, so she can participate in the TTUISD graduation ceremony, in May 2019, but I would much prefer to be there with her and my wife, to tour the campus buildings and meet the people and such, when classes are in session. As others in this thread have stated, the impression of a school is totally different when there are no classes underway.  Like your trip, the timing of the TTUISD graduation ceremony will determine when we are at  Texas Tech University.

I hope that you have a safe trip and that you can accomplish as many of the things on your to do list as is possible.

@Dawn: How long will you need to live in CA, before your DS can apply for admission as a CA Resident?   Sorry about the issue in Northridge, but nice that they are renovating the building your DS is most interested in.  

We are hoping to take DD to Lubbock, so she can participate in the TTUISD graduation ceremony, in May 2019, but I would much prefer to be there with her and my wife, to tour the campus buildings and meet the people and such, when classes are in session. As others in this thread have stated, the impression of a school is totally different when there are no classes underway.  Like your trip, the timing of the TTUISD graduation ceremony will determine when we are at  Texas Tech University.

I hope that you have a safe trip and that you can accomplish as many of the things on your to do list as is possible.

One year.  

If we move next summer, both boys may attend the local CC first, as out of state tuition will be $6,500 each.  Northridge (or most Cal State schools) would be $19K per year for out of state.  

However, if oldest needs to go immediately, we will pay it for one year and just suck it up.

• Like 1

We will tour Long Beach, but they won't do anything extra for us, they sent me a "self tour" thing of some kind, I have to look at it.

I have been to both campuses and toured with high school students, but it was many, many years ago.  And I used to go to CSUN to study after church as my church was over that way.

• Like 1

One year.  

If we move next summer, both boys may attend the local CC first, as out of state tuition will be $6,500 each.  Northridge (or most Cal State schools) would be $19K per year for out of state.  

However, if oldest needs to go immediately, we will pay it for one year and just suck it up.

If your family moves to CA and they enroll immediately, and  begin paying Non-Resident (Out of State) tuition, can they then switch, to Resident tuition, after paying Non-Resident tuition for one year? Hopefully that will be allowed ,if your entire family moves from NC to CA.

If your family moves to CA and they enroll immediately, and  begin paying Non-Resident (Out of State) tuition, can they then switch, to Resident tuition, after paying Non-Resident tuition for one year? Hopefully that will be allowed ,if your entire family moves from NC to CA.

Yes

• Like 1

UPDATE!

They are having a full Open House while we are there, to one of the schools my oldest is interested in!  So, we will have one great tour and full info!  YAY!

We are going to forgo the For Profit tour after all.   The more we are talking to people, the more it just isn't the best option for us.

• Like 5

SUCH a contrast for us between touring CSU Fullerton and asking about their art dept. (student was clueless, art dept. secretary gave us a form & nothing more, have to do general ed first anyway, so see us your sophomore year) and touring a private art school -- look around the buildings, look at and discuss portfolio, talk about specific majors, etc. Also a large difference in price tags, of course, altho' not so drastic if you're coming from out of state. DD's school was a small (but probably well supported) not-for-profit and there was a pretty huge difference between their tuition and that of the big-name art school in the state.

• Like 2