Menu

9th Grade Planning Thread

Is there a 9th Grade Planning Thread yet? If not, I'd love to see others' plans. Here are ours:

Algebra I - Saxon

Science - Holt McDougal Environmental Science

Spanish - maybe Breaking the Barriers

History - SWB's The History of the Medieval World

English Composition and Literature - looking at BraveWriter for comp. For literature: Shakespeare and Chaucer (probably)

Fine Arts: voice lessons and chorale singing; jazz drumming lessons

Logic - Classical Academic Press materials

Phys Ed - TBD

I started homeschooling in December of Kindergarten. After a few months of panic, I settled into a great homeschooling experience. However, homeschooling in high school feels scary to me, but I think I'm starting to get my land legs. I have two 14 year old boys.

Algebra 1 by Paul Foerster (dh is handling, it was recommendation by Math Mammoth person)

English comp -- OnlineScribblers (online writing group based in San Diego)

Logic -- The boys are taking a speech class starting in Sept. (does speech go under "Logic??")

History -- We're all huge history buffs. I know I'm using Great Courses, but haven't figured out a spine.

Language -- American Sign Language classes

Science -- I'm stumped on this one. Dh is a science guy. I'm totally in the dark about what to do and how to proceed.

Fine Art -- One boy does heavily into both theater and piano. The other boy loves to draw, but doesn't take classes. He's also really into golf on the weekends w/ dh.

Phys. Ed -- Both boys do Krav Maga three times a week.

Our state has a "move on when ready" program that will allow the boys to do college classes. My plan is to have them do basic science classes starting at 16 in the local college.

That's as far as I've gotten. Any great ideas? I'm very open!

Alley

• Like 3

I recently updated my signature, so most of this information is already there.  This is my 3rd time homeschooling 9th grade, so I have some idea of what I'm doing (finally).

We will be doing:

Saxon Algebra I (as soon as she finishes 1/2)

Apologia Physical Science

a Children's Literature course that I am creating

Writing With Skill 1  -- This has worked well for us.  I know it is meant for younger ages, but since they are older they are able to do it with little instruction from me.

a 20th Century history course that I created a few years ago for ds16

Bob Jones Bible

American Sign Language using Bill Vicars' Youtube channel

flute with a local homeschool group

cooking using Food for Today and my cookbooks

• Like 2

We started about a month ago.  He chose what he wanted to study and I mostly put it together (with his help).

Algebra 1 - Life of Fred Beginning Algebra 

English - Prentice-Hall World Masterpieces + a big booklist of folk literature + Greek/Latin root flashcards + Daily Grammar + Bravewriter

Military History - booklist + projects + field trips

Paleobiology - Coursera's DINO 101, Ancient Marine Reptiles, Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds, Early Vertebrate Evolution + field trips + projects

Health - AOP's Health (Life Pacs) + Human Anatomy Coloring Book

Woodworking - CLE

German - continuing with German reader, Deutschakademie Audio Course, some beginning readers, etc

Bible - read through the entire New Testament

He's also taking a homeschool PE class, he's running on a track & field team and he's volunteering at an equestrian physical therapy center.

• Like 2

As of right now this is what dd will be doing for 9th:

Math: Combination of Saxon Advanced Math and Calculus

History: Combination of BJU World History and Geography

French: Switched on School House

College and Careers: Switched on School House plus some other materials

Science: Apologia Biology

English: IEW Research Paper, Jensen's Vocabulary, Literature studies of : Iliad, Odyssey, Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar, and part of Canterbury Tales

Logic: Argument Builder

Bible:  either sheets provided by Sunday School (if they do that again next year) or Explorer's Bible Study God's Perfect Plan

• Like 2

Here is what we have planned:

Math:  Geometry-going to try Jacobs first, if it is not successful, will go to TT.

History:  SWB's History of the Ancient World, Great Courses Understanding Greek & Roman Technology

Science:  Friendly Chemistry

English:  Going to attempt WWS1 again (Writing is where he really struggles), Easy Grammar 10, Book of Roots

Book list to include Around the World in 80 days, To Kill a Mockingbird,  and some of Memoria Press Poetry & Short Stories

Health:  Oak Meadow

Fine Arts:  Oak Meadow Integrated Drawing

• Like 3

Is there a 9th Grade Planning Thread yet? If not, I'd love to see others' plans. Here are ours:

Algebra I - Saxon

Science - Holt McDougal Environmental Science

Spanish - maybe Breaking the Barriers

History - SWB's The History of the Medieval World

English Composition and Literature - looking at BraveWriter for comp. For literature: Shakespeare and Chaucer (probably)

Fine Arts: voice lessons and chorale singing; jazz drumming lessons

Logic - Classical Academic Press materials

Phys Ed - TBD

If your student is really into Shakespeare and you like BW classes, you might want to look into Susanne Barrett's Literary Analysis of Shakespeare class.  It is in the spring semester, May to June.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 2

If your student is really into Shakespeare and you like BW classes, you might want to look into Susanne Barrett's Literary Analysis of Shakespeare class.  It is in the spring semester, May to June.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks! Off to google ...

I started homeschooling in December of Kindergarten. After a few months of panic, I settled into a great homeschooling experience. However, homeschooling in high school feels scary to me, but I think I'm starting to get my land legs. I have two 14 year old boys.

Algebra 1 by Paul Foerster (dh is handling, it was recommendation by Math Mammoth person)

Logic -- The boys are taking a speech class starting in Sept. (does speech go under "Logic??") Well, it certainly involves some logic in putting together a speech, but I'm not sure I'd put it under "Logic." Maybe under "Language Arts?"

History -- We're all huge history buffs. I know I'm using Great Courses, but haven't figured out a spine.

Language -- American Sign Language classes

Science -- I'm stumped on this one. Dh is a science guy. I'm totally in the dark about what to do and how to proceed. Secular or faith-based? If the former, you could check out Oak Meadow or Elemental Science. Aso - Somewhere there is a post by Blair Lee about using Pandia Press's Biology 2 for high school. I'm not as familiar with faith-based options, but have seen several threads on those. Also, don't forget that there are lots of pinned threads in this (high school) forum.

Fine Art -- One boy does heavily into both theater and piano. The other boy loves to draw, but doesn't take classes. He's also really into golf on the weekends w/ dh. DS is obsessed with golf!

Phys. Ed -- Both boys do Krav Maga three times a week.

Our state has a "move on when ready" program that will allow the boys to do college classes. My plan is to have them do basic science classes starting at 16 in the local college.

That's as far as I've gotten. Any great ideas? I'm very open!

Alley

High school has been scaring the beejeses out of me but I think I've got it pinned down. We are starting a new co-op this year, hopefully it goes well.

Math- Algebra 2 Saxon through Well Trained Mind Academy

Language Arts - Oah Meadow A Heroes Journey

Science- Miller Levine Biology though co-op

History - Big History through co-op

Elective - Psychology through co-op

Art - Japanese anime through co-op

PE - bike racing

Foreign Language - continue Japanese- just bought a new book but can't remember the name

• Like 3

Logic -- The boys are taking a speech class starting in Sept. (does speech go under "Logic??")

Alley

I put speech under english/language arts, but you could call it an elective, I think.

Could you come back and post a review (positives and negatives) of online scribbles after the first couple classes? I'm considering a couple of the classes for my Dd#1 in the winter/spring and haven't been able to find any first person reviews.

• Like 2

DD will be doing:

English: Intro to Lit and Comp (Blue Tent)

Math: probably Geometry (Derek Owens)  I had planned on Algebra1 but it only took her 4 weeks to do the first semester, so I think she will finish that by late summer.  She is also doing Intro to Number Theory with AOPS which will be done by late August.

Science: Physics through (Clover Creek)

Foreign Language: German (making my own since she is a heritage speaker)

History: Ancient History (Great Courses)

PE: Dance

Art: Ceramics

• Like 3

I'll be on my 2nd 9th grader next year, and I'm still just as frazzled as I was with my first 9th grader last year.  :huh:  Part of this is because I'm committed to two co-ops.

What I know-

Co-op 1: Musical Theatre, Yearbook/Newsletter, an English-based elective.

Co-op 2: Choir, Art History/Painting, Bio, Civics, ASL

Home: Math TBD, English TBD, and we want to do French (which was pushed off this past year) but it's tempting to drop, with ASL being available.

Also, fire school, Congressional Award, and softball.

It's too much.  Hopefully, we'll figure it all out soon!

• Like 1

I have an only child starting 9th grade.  I am really nervous to the point that he is taking 4 online classes!  We will see!  WTM has a good refund - try it for a month and see and still get your money back minus register  fees.  Here is what I have:

Math: Alg 2 (Myhomeschoolmath.com)

English: Lost tools Of Writing (Coram Deo Tuturials)

Lit: Great Books - Ancients (WTM Online)

Creative writing - he is writing a novel in his free time.

Science: Biology and Lab (Kolbe Academy)

Theology: Apologetics for Catholics

Health: Oak Meadow

History: Story of the Ancient World (using WTM materials)

Band: trumpet

Robotics Competitive team

• Like 1

Hi Tess! Can you share the ASL 3 curriculum you're doing? My boys would love to do ASL but I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Alley

The plan is to use Lifeprint's level 3 and 4 videos on youtube.  However, DD just found a book, "Signs of the Times" that looks great.  It has 44 lessons with practice sentences and activities(like making your own sentences).  She's Skypeing a friend weekly next year to practice.  So whichever they choose...they will go over the new signs, then practice all the old signs and do conversations with those signs.  I believe the other mom also wants a culture report(like research a deaf person in history or current times and how their life is like) to round out the credit.   I'm not sure how I would do it alone, but since Dd has a friend on the same level they will work together through new signs/grammar and practice weekly.  My dd also has a local college club that meets weekly in public and there are all kinds there signing, so she will be doing that monthly, if not weekly as well.  

• Like 1

Still mulling it over... I can't even decide what area of history we want to study this year. One option: 1 semester of state history and 1 semester of something else. She has done a lot of geography, including a pretty intensive program this past year. Another option: World History, but not sure what program. I am intrigued by the Big History Project, but not sure if I can pull that off. This child does not really enjoy school, sadly. I go back and forth between something that is JUST GET IT DONE and something that could reach her and make her not hate the subject (this is pretty much my approach to all subjects for her).

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Math: Algebra I - unsure which program
Science: Elemental Science Bio for the Rhetoric Stage plus some add-ins from Guest Hollow's bio program
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹English: co-op class on Movies as Literature and Fix-It Grammar
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Speech: co-op
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹History: ?
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Art: outside class

Volleyball

My soon to be 9th grader will be doing:

1. English IV - Big River Academy

2. Math:

Algebra I - online - myhomeschoomathclass.com (Jann in Texas)

3. Social Studies (Geography):

Mapping the World By Heart - local class

4. Science:

Forensic Science - local class

5. Cinematography summer intensive

6. Mapping for Academic and Personal Success - local class

7. Theology - Homeschool Connections

Extras:

Theater - acting

Swim team

Work as Swim Instructor

Library volunteer

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 1

DD 14 will be entering 9th grade this year

Bible: TMITYES Old Testament and Church history
Math: Algebra 1 ABeka
Science: Biology ABeka
English: She will finish the rest of TG&TB level 7 (about 56 lessons), Illuminating Literature, and Teaching the Research Paper by AG
History: US & World history 1 by TG&TB
Geography: ABeka
Foreign Language: Korean using many resources including Talk to Me in Korean books and Korean from Zero
Fine Arts: Continuing with Piano lessons and See the Light Art Projects DVDs
Health ABeka

I'll be on my 2nd 9th grader next year, and I'm still just as frazzled as I was with my first 9th grader last year.  :huh:  Part of this is because I'm committed to two co-ops.

What I know-

Co-op 1: Musical Theatre, Yearbook/Newsletter, an English-based elective.

Co-op 2: Choir, Art History/Painting, Bio, Civics, ASL

Home: Math TBD, English TBD, and we want to do French (which was pushed off this past year) but it's tempting to drop, with ASL being available.

Also, fire school, Congressional Award, and softball.

It's too much.  Hopefully, we'll figure it all out soon!

Thanks Carrie12345 -- What is fire school?

The plan is to use Lifeprint's level 3 and 4 videos on youtube.  However, DD just found a book, "Signs of the Times" that looks great.  It has 44 lessons with practice sentences and activities(like making your own sentences).  She's Skypeing a friend weekly next year to practice.  So whichever they choose...they will go over the new signs, then practice all the old signs and do conversations with those signs.  I believe the other mom also wants a culture report(like research a deaf person in history or current times and how their life is like) to round out the credit.   I'm not sure how I would do it alone, but since Dd has a friend on the same level they will work together through new signs/grammar and practice weekly.  My dd also has a local college club that meets weekly in public and there are all kinds there signing, so she will be doing that monthly, if not weekly as well.  

Thank you Tess!

BlueBonnetGirl -- What does your son do for the library as a volunteer?

I love this thread!!

Alley

Geometry - Teaching Textbooks

World History - Notgrass

Geography - Maptrek (1/2 credit)

English- EIW9, Notgrass literature, Progeny Press guides for Julius Caesar and A Tale of Two Cities

Biology- DIVE with Audesirk book and hands on labs

Foreign language- Czech : New Czech step by step

Music- Guitar and voice (lessons, groups, jams, practice)

PE- weight training, archery, basketball

JV basketball at local private school

Community service - perform at assisted living facilities. Music ministry at church.

• Like 1

This will be my second and last time doing 9th grade. I've updated my signature with everything. We attend a co-op that meets every other week, and he will do science and lit there along with electives for fun. 

Bible: Hewitt Homeschooling I Dare You Jr. High syllabus

Math: TT, finish Algebra 1 and begin Geometry; supplementing with Patty Paper Geometry and a PSAT 8/9 workbook

Science: Dive Earth with A Beka as added materials/grades

Spanish: Continue Breaking the Barrier and Visual Link

Lit: Memoria Press Poetry and Prose at co-op, some of IEW's Elegant Essay, Teaching the Classics, and Windows to the World at home along with BJU 9 Grammar

World Geography:  Allinone's plans using GA Virtual Learning, Glencoe's World Geography, Lit selections, videos

Other: Swim, Ministry team at church, seek out a place for him to volunteer regularly in the community, considering Congressional Award

• Like 2

I posted on the other 9th Grade thread, so I'll give the reader's digest version here.

This is also my first, and only, 9th-grader.  I'm somewhat nervous, but not overly so.  Here's our lineup:

• Bible: Thorough study of the OT in its ancient context using a chronological Bible with the Apocrypha & Pseudepigrapha; read Lost World of Genesis One; Lost World of Adam & Eve; Reversing Hermon
  • Math: Finish Algebra I (taking it slowly) beginning Geometry
  • Ancient History: Historical & Chronological Context of the Bible; History of the Ancient world; various GCP lectures & integrating ancient medicine & toxicology (per DD's request--thankfully I found some texts for this as well). 
  • Science: Finish the second half of GCP's Joy of Science w/accompanying text for 1 credit in Integrated Conceptual Science.  We did the first half last year.
  • Lit/Comp: Elegant Essay & Roman Roads Media Greeks & Romans (just the lit) with the addition of Paradise Lost. (I'm hoping to get through Teaching the Classics before the summer's over; hasn't happened yet unfortunately)
  • Foreign Language: Beginning Japanese using Duolingo; Japanese from Zero; Kana from Zero; Etiquette Guide to Japan & The Japanese Mind. I also met, during Grand Jury Duty in our little podunk town, a very nice Japanese lady who is willing to be a language coach to DD!  You just never know....

Electives (Chosen by DD)

• Mythology: with a concentration of ANE myths analyzed & contrasted with the Bible using Myths from Mesopotamia; Readings from the ANE; Hidden Riches; The Literature from Ancient Egypt; and World Mythology
  • Art/Ancient Art: taking Art Fundamentals & Ceramics @ local HS; GCP 30 Masterpieces from the Ancient World
  • Strategy: GCP Masters of War, History's Greatest Strategic Thinkers; read Art of War, 33 Strategies of War, Strategy 6-Pack, Roman Roads Greek History - Thucydides
  • Ancient Astronomy: GCP Ancient Astronomy paired with the books Echoes of the Ancient Skies & Star Maps

These electives may be year-round if we can swing it, or just stop once we have exhausted them.  DD likes to go really deeply into a subject, however, I need to make sure she doesn't get burned out, so I'll need to put on the brakes when I see any hint of that. Art is her one class I'm not allowed to curtail though....lol...and it will be a full year @ the HS.  On the plus side, I've never seen DD so excited about her upcoming school year.  She can't wait to start (all except Math...lol...)

Extra-Curriculars

• To-Shin Do (once/wk year-round); this will count towards PE each year along with all the other things we do
  • Black-Light Puppet Ministry through church (August-January); We put on a huge show on Halloween attended by about 700-800 people each year.

• Like 2

Academics

Geometry/Algebra 2---Derek Owens

American Literature & Composition---Classical Learning Resource Center

American History---homegrown with AP materials

Anatomy& Physiology---Well Trained Mind Academy

Conceptual Physics---Clover Creek

Psychology---homegrown with AP materials

Extra curricular & Club

Violin,piano, guitar, voice

Club and HS softball

Science Olympiad (3 events)

Volunteering at local hospital

Edited by Jewels

This is what my daughter will be using for her 9th grade year:

-My Fathers World Ancient History and Literature (History, Bible, Literature)

-Friendly Biology w/Biology 101 DVD's 

-Lial's Algebra 1 w/myhomeschoolmathclass.com

-French 1 w/Well Trained Mind Academy

-Masterbooks Survey of Earth and Sky

-Piano & PE

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Math: Saxon Algebra 1

English: Bravewriter Kidswrite Intermediate online (July-Aug)

Rod and Staff English 8

First half of LLATL World Lit (The Ancient-Medieval sections), plus a reading list focused on world folklore and mythology

History: World History to 1500 by Speilvogel

Science: Holt Biology

Art: Drawing Nature, Science and Culture: Natural History Illustration 101 online through edX (Jun-Aug)

Ever Ancient Ever New

The Annotated Mona Lisa (just the sections that line up with her history studies)

Possibly an art class at the Co-op if they offer one that fits our schedule

Music: Continue with Guitar lessons, hopefully take a teen "jam session" class at the co-op

Add Piano lessons

Foreign Language:  ASL 101 (Taking right now) and ASL 102 (Fall) through CurrClick

Breaking the Barrier French 1

Home Ec: Sewing, working through Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook, etc. 

Extracurriculars: 4-H (Cattle, Dog, Sewing, Quilting, Gardening, Junior Leaders), Coaching pee-wee soccer, teen sports nights at the co-op

• Like 1

Our tentative plan (updated):

Bible - Theology 1 (homegrown, using ESV Bible, Christian Beliefs by Wayne Grudem, and not sure what else - Ligonier online lectures maybe? still researching this)

Math - Algebra II (Derek Owens) Math without Borders

World History - BJU (team teaching through co-op)

Science - Abeka Biology with lab (outside class at co-op)

English - Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (so excited about this one!), Kilgallon Paragraphs for High School, and some other grammar resource (haven't chosen this yet) still working this out. Probably Jill Pike syllabus using Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World, but I'm wondering if I'd rather do WttW first semester then Intro to Lit by Excellence in Lit second semester. The latter option might just be too much for my ds this year.

Foreign Language - Spanish 1 (co-op) 

Fine Art - Photography (co-op)

He also wants to do Mock Trial and Speech and Debate and Robotics - could be a tough year

Edited by happy7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are starting August 14, I think I've finally got all the details hammered out!

Math: Saxon Algebra 1

English: Bravewriter Kidswrite Intermediate online (July-Aug)

Rod and Staff English 8

First half of LLATL World Lit (The Ancient-Medieval sections), plus a reading list focused on world folklore and mythology

History: World History to 1500 by Speilvogel

Science: Holt Biology

Art: Drawing Nature, Science and Culture: Natural History Illustration 101 online through edX (Jun-Aug)

Ever Ancient Ever New

The Annotated Mona Lisa (just the sections that line up with her history studies)

Art Class at Co-op

Music: Continue with Guitar lessons, hopefully take a teen "jam session" class at the co-op

Add Piano lessons

At Co-op: Choir, Teen Jam Session, Percussion Ensemble

Foreign Language:  ASL 101 (Taking right now) and ASL 102 (Fall) through CurrClick

Breaking the Barrier French 1

Home Ec: Sewing, working through Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook, etc.  She's going to do a lot of art and music this year, so we'll save home ec for next year.  

Extracurriculars: 4-H (Cattle, Poultry, Sewing, Quilting, Gardening), Coaching pee-wee soccer, teen sports nights at the co-op

Well. I don't get to come here too often, but today I was needing some input on 7 Sisters curricula. I haven't had much luck finding any opinions, but I came across this thread, so....

My 9th grader is my youngest child. My eldest homeschooled and used dual credit for high school. My middle two kids went to public school (#3 is a senior!). So, although she is the youngest of four, this is only my second time to homeschool for high school. Because I have a public-school-band-student senior, and I also work part-time, I needed things to be simple to implement--I hope that's what I ended up with!

Here's what she and I have planned:

English:  7 Sisters Introductory Guide to High School Writing

Growing with Grammar 7 (I know this is technically below grade level... but it is where she is in the series, and I'm okay with that)

Narnia Series w/ 7 Sisters guides

One Shakespeare play (probably The Merchant of Venice w/ Progeny Press Guide)

The Hobbit (guide to be determined)

Math:  Algebra 1 at homeschool class day using Forester's

Science:  Biology 1 at homeschool class day using Apologia

Social Studies:  Semester 1--World Geography using Memoria Press Geography III

Semester 2--Texas History using My Texas 21 as a starting point and adding in additional research and writing to bring it to high school

level. I am seriously contemplating having her write a blog about what she learns for the writing portion of the class. PLUS

since we moved to San Antonio area, we are poised for several perfect field trips to round things out even further... Missions,

state capital, state history museum, Goliad, etc

Foreign Language:  Latin using Visual Latin I and Lingua Latina

Fine Arts:  Flute lessons and music theory, using Theory Time

Electives:  Logic at homeschool class day, using Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox (hopefully--the teacher specified grades 10-12, but I was told to

sign her up and he will determine whether he will allow 9th graders depending on how many request the class)

Typing, Mavis Beacon

Other stuff:  Venturing Scouts

Edited by LanaTron

Math: abeka consumer math

English: Holt principles of language; literature guides for three books- The Hobbit, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Fahrenheit 451

Science: apologia general science

Social studies: Glencoe world geography

Art: artistic pursuits book 1

Music: piano daily

Math: abeka consumer math

English: Holt principles of language; literature guides for three books- The Hobbit, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Fahrenheit 451

Science: apologia general science

Social studies: Glencoe world geography

Art: artistic pursuits book 1

Music: piano daily

Here's another 9th grade planning link......

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/586673-what-are-you-doing-for-9th-grade/

My second high schooler! eek! I am just now finalizing the line up...... busy, busy with family health issues and house renovations..... I seriously need a vacation & sleep! :sleep:

I've been changing my mind on our materials a lot this summer........ I can't really find anything that grabs a hold of me, leaving me to alter everything I get my hands on.

My girls do great with a syllabus on hand..... I'm working on creating a schedule/syllabus for them to keep track of their assignments (and me) and they can use their planners to jot down what they have completed. I plan to check off on it either daily or weekly.....no slacking this year! That's the goal anyway.

Math:

Mr. D Algebra I 1 credit

English 9:

Power in Your Hands Writing (hopefully finishing the whole book....) 1 credit

Finishing Analytical Grammar (leaving out the diagramming)

(Annotation Lesson)

World Literature (Using lots of different resources: LLATL World, Essential Literary Terms, Glencoe guides, and Sparknotes with a history related booklist)

Vocabulary.com

History:

Notgrass Exploring World History-- Took Day 5 Bible lesson out (I've created a schedule to include Earliest Humans/Evolution/Origins before Lesson 1, added Great Course lectures, Crash Course lectures, Map Trek, note-taking, and projects.) We plan to watch documentaries and movies throughout the year! 1 credit

Science:

Biology with Fundafunda Academy using the Miller & Levine text 1 credit

Health & PE:

Oak Meadow Health Syllabus & KidsHealth Teen website for research 1 credit

Ballroom/Swing Dancing

Spring Track & Field

Electives:

Personal Finance (Dave Ramsey) 1/2 credit

7 week Study Skills Course with VHSG 1/4 credit

Volunteer:

Horse Therapy Riding Center, Ronald McDonald House (holiday baking)

Spring Driver's Ed 1/2 credit or none (I didn't give older dd credit....maybe I should?)

May add in Auto Upkeep (1/2 credit) in the Spring too..... older dd is taking that class with Dad!

Saving Foreign Language for grades 10-12th

Edited by Murrayshire

For ds... I've been surprised how much we've shifted gears. Schedule conflicts and extracurricular schedule changes have made our plans a bit topsy-turvy!

English (using a hodgepodge of what the girls have already done in the past...)

Pre-Calculus (Art Reed DVDs)

Chemistry I (co-op, using Apologia... not my first pick, but I'm not teaching Chem again and he'll do AP Chem next year)

AP Computer Science A (PAHomeschoolers)

Music Theory

Spanish II (co-op)

AP Psychology (Sonlight)

possibly AP Macroeconomics OR Microeconomics but that will be a late add-in if he's managing his time well and wants to tackle it. His extracurricular stuff is incredibly time consuming - this will be an interesting year to see how he balances it all! :)

Edited by hopskipjump

For my last high schooler....DD is taking this.....

Bible( BJU Bible Truths Level C)

Geometry (Derek Owens)

Physical Science( Apologia with a weekly co-op style class)

American History I ( Biblioplan Year 4.  Did Year 3 last year.)

English (Rod and Staff Grade 9, Lively Art of Writing, Assorted Progeny Press and Smarr Lit guides, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots)

French I (BJU Press Distance Learning)

Health (Alpha and Omega: 1/2 credit)

Fine Arts:  Beginning Band, Concert Choir, and piano

Brenda

Here is what I am using for my 9th grade daughter this year:

Math-u-See Algebra I and Khan Academy

Apologia Physical Science

Windows to the World plus various novels

IEW Bible Writing Lessons

English from the Roots Up 2

Queen's Bible Verses for Copywork

BJU Cultural Geography

Tae Kwon Do Lessons outsourced

My first and only high schooler begins 9th grade this year.  This is our plan:

Math - AoPS Geometry at home (1 credit)

Science - TWTM Biology (1 credit)

Foreign Language - Lukeion AP Latin (1 credit)

History - The History of the Ancient World meshed with Great Books (1 credit)

Language Arts - Literature and Writing meshed with Great Books (1 credit)

That is about the max we can do and only 5 credits so will add one additional credit with either:

PE - Set goals, log workouts (outside of her team sport training), and monitor/chart stats.

Music - Violin lessons

Both of the above are dd's huge time-suck extra-curricular activities but she does more than enough of both to count for both.

I think we have some credit flexibility as I plan to count middle Lukeion Latin 1-3 and AoPS Algebra from middle school.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/12/2017 at 11:01 PM, .... said:

We started about a month ago.  He chose what he wanted to study and I mostly put it together (with his help).

Algebra 1 - Life of Fred Beginning Algebra 

English - Prentice-Hall World Masterpieces + a big booklist of folk literature + Greek/Latin root flashcards + Daily Grammar + Bravewriter

Military History - booklist + projects + field trips

Paleobiology - Coursera's DINO 101, Ancient Marine Reptiles, Theropod Dinosaurs and the Origin of Birds, Early Vertebrate Evolution + field trips + projects

Health - AOP's Health (Life Pacs) + Human Anatomy Coloring Book

Woodworking - CLE

German - continuing with German reader, Deutschakademie Audio Course, some beginning readers, etc

Bible - read through the entire New Testament

He's also taking a homeschool PE class, he's running on a track & field team and he's volunteering at an equestrian physical therapy center.

May I ask how it went with CLE Woodworking?  I'm thinking of using it for my rising 9th grader. I asked the hubs to teach the shop skills.