Menu

nm

If your DD is rejected from Duke, figuring out exactly which straw it was that broke the camel's back is almost impossible. It is often something over which the student had no control.

Some kids go crazy trying to do the most number of things as rigorously and as perfectly as possible. Others do what makes the most sense for their situation and let the chips fall where they may. The latter is generally healthier.

Build a good college list with matches, reaches, and safeties, and if Duke says no, there will still be options.

• Like 1

If your DD is rejected from Duke, figuring out exactly which straw it was that broke the camel's back is almost impossible. It is often something over which the student had no control.

Some kids go crazy trying to do the most number of things as rigorously and as perfectly as possible. Others do what makes the most sense for their situation and let the chips fall where they may. The latter is generally healthier.

Build a good college list with matches, reaches, and safeties, and if Duke says no, there will still be options.

That is what I think.  She just really doesn't want to take more math than she has to, and taking BC doesn't sky-rocket her chances at Duke anyway - from what I can gather nothing does  :mellow:  They love siblings so that gives her a slight edge.  My gut tells me not to worry about BC.

Edited by Attolia

I won't worry though. Duke is number 70 on the THE 200 COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES RECEIVING THE MOST AP SCORES report which UCBerkeley is number 5 and UT Austin is top of the list. https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/research/2016/2016-Top-200-Colleges.pdf

Also more students take AC (7528) than BC (4242 students) in your state based on the 2016 state report. You can see by gender and ethnic breakdowns as well as score distribution https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/misc/ap/north-carolina-summary-2016.xlsx

• Like 2