Menu

GHF Online classes?

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is taking the third of the Story of Science classes this coming fall (having already taken the first two). The teacher is great. She's had some family health issues and had to miss a couple of classes, but she made them up later. She has said that she will have an assistant this coming year who can step in if something comes up so this might not be an issue at all. Her lectures are engaging and the kids have opportunities to respond to her questions or ask questions of their own throughout. She also keeps office hours so kids can can chat with her outside of lectures if they have lots of questions or if they are just really excited about something. She assigns reading from the text, occasional short videos and some really fun hands on stuff. Some kids participate more than others and turn in more work (my daughter likes to do it all) but you aren't penalized if you opt out of an assignment (because you can't easily get supplies or whatever). It's a lot of fun and my daughter has really enjoyed it so far. She likes the instructor so much that she has signed up to take a computer science course from her this fall as well. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

My son has taken computer science classes with the same instructor mentioned above, who teaches the Story of Science classes. She is fabulous -- one class had more regular homework assigned and this last class she did have a few family emergencies, but she has office hours every Friday and makes par programming appointments for one on one tutoring. She really helped my son with some of his anxiety in the class, and he always enjoyed the lectures and discussions.  

We have not taken any other classes (well, my daughter took a native american mythology class that she wasn't all that enthused about, but it could be because I just signed her up thinking she would enjoy it.  I won't make that mistake again!)