Menu

Safe and Strong

Not sure if anyone has used this program, but I thought it looked like it would be very helpful for my son and have had my eye on it for a while. It is on for a very good price so I went ahead and purchased it today and thought others here might be interested. I will try to add a link, but it is always 50/50 from my iPad...

http://www.safeandstrong.org/

I also ordered this book that just recently came out: The Essential Guide to Safe Travel-Training for Children with Autism and Intellectual Disabilities. Will happily post an update once I have read it for anyone interested. it may take me a bit, as usual I ordered quite a few new therapy and the like books for ds today..

• Like 2

Have you watched it enough to know if that's the price it always is or an actual special price? 

It's definitely interesting. I've had the safety thing on my mind for ds. I haven't figured out a really good way to explain that we obey adults we're supposed to obey but don't obey if those adults are asking something unsafe/inappropriate, sigh. That video series looks like something you could watch over and over, like every year or every other year, and they'd understand it at different levels each time.

• Like 1

Have you watched it enough to know if that's the price it always is or an actual special price?

It's definitely interesting. I've had the safety thing on my mind for ds. I haven't figured out a really good way to explain that we obey adults we're supposed to obey but don't obey if those adults are asking something unsafe/inappropriate, sigh. That video series looks like something you could watch over and over, like every year or every other year, and they'd understand it at different levels each time.

I have looked at it 4-5 in the last 9 months or so and it has always been around the $200 mark. I was giving up on getting i but was telling dh about it today and wanted to show him the clip they have and saw it on sale.

I thought the same thing about it being something to reuse over the years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, I did get the DVD and think it is well done. Their customer service is amazing! I also got the travel training book I mentioned above and while I have only thumbed through it, it looks like it will come in very handy.

Ds can walk to the corner store on his own, but I haven't tried to have him do anything else and really need to make more effort to work on that. Hopefully the above will help with that.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has used this program, but I thought it looked like it would be very helpful for my son and have had my eye on it for a while. It is on for a very good price so I went ahead and purchased it today and thought others here might be interested. I will try to add a link, but it is always 50/50 from my iPad...

http://www.safeandstrong.org/

I also ordered this book that just recently came out: The Essential Guide to Safe Travel-Training for Children with Autism and Intellectual Disabilities. Will happily post an update once I have read it for anyone interested. it may take me a bit, as usual I ordered quite a few new therapy and the like books for ds today..

Thanks for the link.  I do a lot of travel training for work, so I just ordered it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link.  I do a lot of travel training for work, so I just ordered it.

I spent a fair portion of the day on the train, so I read most of the kindle version of the travel training book today.  Thanks for sharing it!

It's basically ABA meets travel training.  So, it talks about breaking the trip down, and backward chaining the steps, and about how to reinforce each step. 

To me, it's got what I see as both the pros and the cons of an ABA approach.  So, strong on detail, and on data collection, weak on allowing for a variety of behaviors, and for helping students learn the why's of what they're doing, and problem solving for themselves.  It's not exactly how I do it, I'm much more naturalistic in my approach, and there are a couple of weird things (e.g. teach your child to always put on a red hat before they go out so cars will see them) but it's a pretty solid plan for the early stages, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I spent a fair portion of the day on the train, so I read most of the kindle version of the travel training book today. Thanks for sharing it!

It's basically ABA meets travel training. So, it talks about breaking the trip down, and backward chaining the steps, and about how to reinforce each step.

To me, it's got what I see as both the pros and the cons of an ABA approach. So, strong on detail, and on data collection, weak on allowing for a variety of behaviors, and for helping students learn the why's of what they're doing, and problem solving for themselves. It's not exactly how I do it, I'm much more naturalistic in my approach, and there are a couple of weird things (e.g. teach your child to always put on a red hat before they go out so cars will see them) but it's a pretty solid plan for the early stages, in my opinion.

Yes, can totally see that. For me I always find these types of books helpful for seeing how to break things down more than I do if left to my own devices, lol. I don't really present or approach the learning in the ways they do as that just doesn't work for us.

I really do love the DVDs. They are perfect and really address us talking to ds about some things I really never would have thought to specifically address.

• Like 1

Yes, can totally see that. For me I always find these types of books helpful for seeing how to break things down more than I do if left to my own devices, lol. I don't really present or approach the learning in the ways they do as that just doesn't work for us.

I really do love the DVDs. They are perfect and really address us talking to ds about some things I really never would have thought to specifically address.

I'm tempted to order them.  

Another resource I really like, although it's focused on adults, are the videos at Open Future Learning.  Lots of great things to think about. 

• Like 2