Menu

Discussions in Online History Classes

I'm looking for an online American history class for my middle school son. As I've contemplated content, I realized, what I really want him to have is the opportunity for discussion of the history reading. To what extent do these online history classes incorporate discussion of the reading and history?

I don't know about history but when DD took an art history class through Excelsior the teacher encouraged some wonderful live discussions. Mainly though it was lots of discussion through off class hours using type written chats based on discussion questions. People would respond as they had time.

Unfortunately most on line classes only meet once or twice a week and for only an hour to an hour and a half. That leaves very little live class time to review material, cover any administrative topics, discuss upcoming assignments, cover the current lesson, answer questions, etc. Live discussions back and forth with the students over the reading has to, therefore, be limited. I think unless students can Skype discussions outside of class time it is going to be hard to find a good online class that offers extensive live class discussions.

Maybe someone knows a provider that has worked this out, though...

Edited by OneStepAtATime

I'm looking for an online American history class for my middle school son. As I've contemplated content, I realized, what I really want him to have is the opportunity for discussion of the history reading. To what extent do these online history classes incorporate discussion of the reading and history?

You'll probably get a lot more answers if you post this on the middle school or high school boards...