Menu

I just realized I don't know what I'm going to use at all next year EEK!!

I'm going to a  homeschool convention this weekend. I haven't gone in a while and thought it would be fun to look around. So yesterday I sat down and decided to make a list of things I need to decide on so it could be a more useful trip. I realized I have only made a 100% sure decision on ONE THING!! That's no good at all! Now this trip is less fun and more work LOL. I'd love to hear ideas on things to look at. Sometimes I feel like Ive been doing this so long nothing is new and interesting but the student I have left at home is so different from my other two I am starting from scratch curriculum-wise. 

My plan so far:

100% sure - using Guest Hollow for science. 

80 - 90% sure - AOPS Pre-Algebra. We used Derek Owens Pre-Algebra this year and she needs one more go-around before Algebra so I thought this would step it up a bit (we liked DO though). But I'm worried about it and open to other options.

50% sure - taking a break from a 4 year cycle for a year of American using CLE's 8th grade with Sonlight 100 book list. I'm not against this idea but don't love it. 

the rest - no real clue. waiting for samples on the new Grammar for a Well-trained mind but not sure on that. No ideas for writing. Need to step up literature studies. Not sure if we will start a language. 

Geez - time to get in gear LOL

I don't know why I can't link anything anymore (sorry), but have you seen History Of US Junior High Syllabus/Tests from Hewitt Homeschool?  I am using this with my rising 7th graders for a year of American history.

ETA:  There are 7th and 8th grade planning threads floating around the K-8 board.  They might give you some ideas.  I would link them if I could...

Edited by mlktwins

I'm at the Heav convention right now and there are SO many options, as you know.  I saw many different Pre-Algebra programs at the used curriculum sale mostly at the Middle School Math table. Not sure if I saw AOPS, though. The Rainbow Resource booth in the exhibit hall has lots of different programs to look through. I know, I'm no help at all..... : )

I feel for you. I am in the same boat with my 2 boys starting 5th in the fall. I do not have a convention, though. I DO have a huge homeschool store close by.

Thanks for the sympathy. I have to say that the convention visit was far more successful than I expected. I took my daughter and let her decide on a lot of things. She chose Biblioplan's Remember the Days Year 2 book which really surprised me. We've been using BP for several years but the Remember the Days book is new and we haven't used it. I was going to take this year off of BP before starting high school because their companion is really hefty and I wanted to save it for high school. I told her to pick any history she wanted (except ancients since we did that last year). She loved the RTD book. She chose two literature guides from MP (Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) and started making a list of other books she wants to read from the time period. So yippee.

She chose Fresh Approach Algebra which I told her we could start after we do some review at the beginning of the year. It's the first math book she's asked for so I'm going to say yes LOL.

I scored a full set of R&S Grammar 6 (text, teacher, workbook, and tests) in practically new condition for $20 at the used curriculum sale and she decided she wanted to do Essentials in Writing. I got grade 9. I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it either. She does well with explicit instructions and I think it will be good for this year along with writing in R&S. 

I didn't get it while I was there but I'm probably going to get Art of Argument at some point as well. 

At least I don't feel quite as unplanned LOL. 

• Like 6