Menu

First day of testing

DD 3.5 had her first day of neurosych testing today. It went amazingly well. She was excited to be there and did everything asked of her. She didn't need me in the room. No potty issues. (I had lots of just-in-case spare outfits packed!) There was free wifi, and they had a spare phone charger, because of course I forgot to charge my phone. There was a Starbucks in the lobby, so I could get snacks. Parking was easy. She got stickers! And an Elsa crown!

It was great. Why am I so exhausted!?!

• Like 2

I found DS' 5 hour session of testing to be exhausting too. It can feel like really high stakes stuff, even if we already have a pretty good idea of the findings before they're found.

So! Here's another 2E autistic mother cheering you both on! Go forth! Find clarity!

And be gentle with yourself.

• Like 2

Feeling down today. I skimmed the parent questionnaire for the ADOS... there are so many questions that don't even remotely apply to her. And yet, I know there is something different about her, even if it is subtle. I feel like such a Cassandra.

My husband hopes that if she doesn't get a diagnosis this round I'll just trust the experts and leave it alone. Sigh. I don't trust the experts to recognize high functioning gifted autistic girls! I'm hoping, but not trusting.

Fairly confident she'll at least get her first "E" with this testing. I can't think of anything they would try to ask a 3.5 year old that she wouldn't ace. I don't think she's PG, but she's definitely gifted enough that they'll notice!

Normal testing jitters.

I personally am not a fan of the "I concluded this after I spent an hour or two in the room with 'em" gig. Gifted kids can be different in novel environments. For instance my ds PLAYED with a boy in the psych's office, something I had never ever seen happen. I was like wow, look at that, when you put him with autistic kids he finally plays! And the psych is like see, no problems here. Jerk. Jerk of the world.

And yeah, multiple people down the line now disagree with that stupid first psych. He just was too cursory and wasn't listening. It can happen. But hopefully it won't happen to you. The ADOS is more thorough than what our first (no polite words) psych did. He really was a jerk. Because yes it makes a lot of conflict in the house if that psych is supposed to be the final arbiter and he gets it WRONG. But doing the ADOS, that's at least helpful and some kind of attempt. They wouldn't be doing the ADOS if there weren't pretty good reason to.